Notices

Thrashers at the Olympics/Announcements and at the games

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Shameus

vCash: 500
Thrashers at the Olympics/Announcements and at the games

OK, we have 4 days till the next game day, and 3 and a half months or so until the Olympics. So I thought speculating on which Thrashers will play in the Olympics might be an interesting topic to discuss other than the defense or goal-tending. So guess away and give your reasons.

Kovy: After his play in the last two World Championships and his role in bringing the Malkin-Ovy feud to a conclusion, I think his name is already on a Sweater.

Bogo/Hainsey: I think one of them makes Team USA but not both. Bogo had a good close to last season, and is playing well to start the season. Hainsey has had a much better season partnered with Kubina and could have played his way onto the team?

Pavel Kubina: The bigger ice could be a problem for his speed, but with his play so far this season I think he has earned consideration.

Pavelec: If he keeps up his strong play, could make the team as the backup or third goalie.

Enstrom: I think he could make the team, he was included in the last World Champ team?

Salmela: Was on the last Finish World Champ team and could keep his place on the squad as a third pair or depth defenseman.

Schubert: I am not sure if Germany is going or their team, but I know there are not a lot of Germans playing in the NHL so I have to assume he has a good shot at making the team if they are in the Olympics.

So 1 of our goalies, most of our defenders, but only 1 forward as I see it probably make Olympic Squads. Feel different? Feel the same?

Last edited by Shameus: 12-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old
10-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
Pavel Kubina: The bigger ice could be a problem for his speed, but with his play so far this season I think he has earned consideration.
The Vancouver Olympic hockey tournament is being played on NHL size ice.

Also to your list you could add Boris Valabik, if Slovakia is feeling masochistic enough. He had a good showing one year at the World Junior Championships, but in the World Championships he became one of several goats and the master of stupid penalties.

Old
10-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
The Vancouver Olympic hockey tournament is being played on NHL size ice.
Point forgotten and taken

Old
10-25-2009, 11:44 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I get the feeling that the current leaders of USA Hockey are not fans of Bogosian, he was rarely used at the World Championships over the summer. I think Hainsey has a better chance of making the USA roster than Bogosian.

Old
10-25-2009, 11:56 AM
EvilMilkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I get the feeling that the current leaders of USA Hockey are not fans of Bogosian, he was rarely used at the World Championships over the summer. I think Hainsey has a better chance of making the USA roster than Bogosian.
And since Hainsey was invited to the USA camp this summer and Bogosian wasn't, you're probably correct in your assumption.

Old
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
teme

Salmela is propably #10 at Finnish defence depth chart, so barring injuries I don't see him in the games. Then again there will always be injuries. It really depends on what kind of season he has.

Old
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Robotic

Boulton = Team Canada

Popovic = Team Canada (Women's)

Old
12-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Kovalchuk and Afinogenov Make Russian Olympic Roster

http://www.fhr.ru/content/news/5250.html

It's in Russian.

Kovy was a given, but congrats to Max on making the team. He has completely turned his career around. Hopefully Waddell can get him to sign an extension in the New Year.

Old
12-24-2009, 10:53 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Congratulations to Kovalchuk and Afinogenov! This Christmas just got merrier for those two, and the Russian team!

Old
12-24-2009, 11:18 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Lmao, I saw this thread with the red text and all I read was "Confirmed" and I assumed it said "Confirmed signing with link" (you know what I was thinking)

Congrats to both of them.

Old
12-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Oh, congratulations to Max! That must be an honor to be selected to that team. Well congrats to Kovy too even though he was a "sure thing".

Old
12-25-2009, 03:26 PM
The Sneak

Congratulations to all time Thrasher great Ilya Nikulin for making the Olympic squad. Wonder if Kovalchuk can talk him into joining him in Boston?

Old
12-26-2009, 12:36 AM
atleternal
Sautee Nacoochee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Congratulations to all time Thrasher great Ilya Nikulin for making the Olympic squad. Wonder if Kovalchuk can talk him into joining him in Boston?

Don’t we still own the rights to Nikulin? (Yes) And Kovy definitely will not to be going to Boston. Take a look at Toronto’s points. They aren’t out of it by any means. Four game winning streak and they’re right back in it.

He’ll sign, they’re just going through the motions (concessions) at this point.

That miniscule ****** bag agent Grossman knows his ass is on the line, he’s a puke, because if Kovy goes FA the KHL is going to offer him the world. And Grossman won’t get a dime of that money.

We will pay him and give him the terms he wants…

People may think Waddell is an idiot, but he knows good and well this deal better get done or he’s out of a job. (Which wouldn’t be a bad thing imo?)

I feel Dudley is more involved at this point than is Waddell.

Kovy and his agent should obviously know he’s not worth OV money at this point. No playoff wins?!?

He’s going to sign because no other team is going to pay him league max.

And we will as long as the terms are in order. You hear that Grossman? We know you are reading these boards. A-Hole.

Old
12-27-2009, 01:36 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Enstrom makes team Sweden

Congrats! Very well deserved!

Maybe we should keep a list of Thrashers players playing on Olympic teams.

Old
12-30-2009, 10:07 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511598

Quote:
In goal, the Czechs are going with Tomas Vokoun of the Florida Panthers and Ondrej Pavelec of the Atlanta Thrashers. Jakub Stepanek of HC Vikovice Steel also is on the roster.
Quote:
On defense, the Czechs boast a formidable array of skilled NHL defensemen in Toronto's Tomas Kaberle, Atlanta's Pavel Kubina, Minnesota's Marek Zidlicky, Ottawa's Filip Kuba, Columbus' Jan Hejda, Zbynek Michalek of the Phoenix Coyotes and Roman Polak of the St. Louis Blues. Also named to the Czech defense is Miroslav Blatak of Salavat Julajev of the KHL.
Congrats to Pavelec and Kubina for making the Czech team!

Old
12-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i am amazed that Schubert didnt make the German team

Old
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i am amazed that Schubert didnt make the German team
So are most Germans

He's not the only one though, Jochen Hecht is also not on the preliminary roster. Hopefully that will change, as the roster doesn't have to be set to 23 men until the tournament starts.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:57 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
So are most Germans

He's not the only one though, Jochen Hecht is also not on the preliminary roster. Hopefully that will change, as the roster doesn't have to be set to 23 men until the tournament starts.
WOW, Hecht and Schubert are probably the two best known German players in the world, that's just silly

Old
12-30-2009, 02:08 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Why do I get the feeling that in a strange sense of kismet, Pavelec destroyes his groin in the Olympics, and Kari (Who, may I say was looking a bit round in the last photo I saw of him) splits time with Moose the rest of the year.

Old
12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
fisby

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/olympia...uwe-krupp.html

"The 23-player preliminary roster is just a formality for the IIHF. We just wrote down 23 names - but that doesn't mean anything, cause the roster hasn't been set yet. We work with the expanded roster of 35 players and will cut it down to 23 players till the Olympics", Krupp says in an interview with SPOX.

Old
12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
Why do I get the feeling that in a strange sense of kismet, Pavelec destroyes his groin in the Olympics, and Kari (Who, may I say was looking a bit round in the last photo I saw of him) splits time with Moose the rest of the year.
groin or confidence, either one, if Kari is healthy and able to make a go of it after the Olympics, I'd give it to him over Pavelec based on Pavs' last 10 games.

Old
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Shameus

OK, thought about this thread today while watching the US v Swiss game when I find that former Thrasher Hnat Domenichelli is playing for the Swiss team.

Old
02-16-2010, 02:37 PM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
OK, thought about this thread today while watching the US v Swiss game when I find that former Thrasher Hnat Domenichelli is playing for the Swiss team.
Makes sense since he played for the Thrash during the height of its swiss cheese era.

Old
02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Shameus

Also just found out that Toby's sister is playing for the Swedish Hockey Womens Team at the Olympics.

If ya look at them side by side, the resemblance is uncanny.

Old
02-16-2010, 03:04 PM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Also just found out that Toby's sister is playing for the Swedish Hockey Womens Team at the Olympics.

If ya look at them side by side, the resemblance is uncanny.
If you go to the official Vancouver games site, you can see all athletes and filter by country/sport and see Toby and his sister side by side.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic...--+Keywords+--

The best part is Nicklas Bäckström, though. If you're just scanning down the players pictures, you'd swear he was one of the women.

LÖL

Closed Thread