HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get Backes in 2011?

Old
02-26-2010, 09:47 AM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
Get Backes in 2011?

With all the cap space we will have on July 1st 2011 and the free agent pool not being a great one you have to believe we will take a run at David Backes. I personally love the guy he brings it every night and he has some skill to go along with a tremendous heart. The thing that I'm afraid of is the deal that we will give him being that we will have money to spend. A) would you like to see Backes as a Ranger? B) For what price? (hopefully by this time JD will be our GM and have the in with Backes)

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
ecemleafs

why will we have a lot of cap space in 2011? drurys contract expires in summer 2012.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think, i we dont make any major signings and have space that summer the target will be Alex Semin. But we'll see. Backes is a solid player.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
acapps10

I really don't see St. Louis letting him reach free agency.

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:58 AM
nyr2417

well we dont have enough cap space to get a palyer like semin but with brash, gilroy, boyle and voros coming off the books (only mentioned players i expect to be gone) we will have freed up around 5 million dollars, so well have some money to spend on more so "good" players not super stars.

Old
02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
jniklast

I really like Backes and all, but I think should he hit UFA (which I doubt) he's gonna get seriously overpaid. He's gonna get superstar money, and should we sign him I think he could be a contract similiar to Drury: A great player with nice mental attributes (grit, balls etc.) but just not the skill like a real superstar. And this team needs skill.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:08 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
well we dont have enough cap space to get a palyer like semin but with brash, gilroy, boyle and voros coming off the books (only mentioned players i expect to be gone) we will have freed up around 5 million dollars, so well have some money to spend on more so "good" players not super stars.
So we're replacing 4 roster players making a combined 5 mil for 1 player making 5 mil? What money do we then use to replace the other 3 players?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
nyr2417

well im sure by this point rosy will be gone as well, and who knows who well sign in place of rosi but im pretty sure its not going to be more than his 5 mill.

Old
02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
So we're replacing 4 roster players making a combined 5 mil for 1 player making 5 mil? What money do we then use to replace the other 3 players?
and i like backes think hes a good player but i wouldnt give him more than 4 mill his career high is 54 points.

Old
02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Redden will not finish his contract here, though Drury and possibly Rozy will. I am thoroughly convinced the Redden situation will be dealt with this summer, opening up a spot for Sauer or Sanguinetti.

This space would be enough to pursue Semin in 2 years.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr161724 View Post
and i like backes think hes a good player but i wouldnt give him more than 4 mill his career high is 54 points.
ehhh but with that 54 point season came a 31 goal season. usually when people break 30 goals they receive nice money. with that being said max id give him is 4.2

Old
02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
chosen

Telling me how much cap space will be available at a future date is no more accurate than getting your palm read by some idiot in a storefront.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Love Backes' game. 25+ goal scoring power forwards -- I mean true power forwards -- are a rarity in today's game and hardly ever become available. That's one of the reasons I pushed so hard for Malone in the summer of 08.

Backes is the kind of player this team needs badly, IMO. No more goons or enforcers. Those guys can't skate with our better players, so how do you expect them to "protect" them?

That being said, I doubt the Blues let him go, and I really doubt he hits the open market if they do.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
Boyle and Gilroy will both be RFA's and probably re-signed. Furthermore Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Sanguinetti and C. Johnson will all be RFA's looking for raises as well. In fact, 2011 is probably the worst Rangers off season for cap space.

Dr. Ogrodnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
NYR Viper

Backes is a must if he hits UFA. People wanted Malone, he didnt come here and now the team lacks a player exactly like him still. Backes is a better version of Malone.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I really don't think Backes will hit UFA

and

I really don't want Alex Semin... Kovalev number 3, really???

NEXT.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Backes is a must if he hits UFA. People wanted Malone, he didnt come here and now the team lacks a player exactly like him still. Backes is a better version of Malone.
I was thinking he would be here too. But...How many Americans is this team going to employ?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I doubt he hits UFA, but man oh man, he'd be exactly what the Doctor ordered.

SomebodySaveKreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I was thinking he would be here too. But...How many Americans is this team going to employ?
When they are some of the best Americans in the world I think it is okay. Its not like they are only looking for American born players, just that they seem to be available where they are drafting/signing.

Although that would make for quite a few:
Drury
Callahan
Dubinsky
Sanguinetti
McDonagh
Kreider
Bourque
Sauer
Boyle

I am sure I missing some players and I am sure some will not be here by then and others will be added but that is a lot of Americans.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
XLJ

I like Backes he is like a bigger version of Ryan Callahan. People say he is the future captain in St. Louis I doubt he is going to leave there.

Bobby Ryan is a RFA this offseason. I would try to sign him and wouldn't mind giving up the draft picks for him he would be worth it. He is a 30-40 goal scorer with great size and skill. Sather could send Redden to the minors and use some of that money to get Ryan or trade Rozsival in the offseason.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
arab27

I would assume everyone likes Backes game as he plays like Cally with a more talent. But giving contracts in the NHL to players in the 5 million dollar range especially to a forward is dangerous. The best way to win is have two stars with contracts in 7 million dollar range and then build rest of offense of players making 3 million or less. You can add a good def for 5 million. That being said if we did have any money in 2011 which I would say we wont, unless we had a Great GM which we know we dont. We could go after Stamkos as he will be a RFA, could offer him around 8 million a year if we somehow get rid of Drury. Yes TB could match but they are always stingy with money and will have no goalie under contract that year and will be a year away from resigning Hedman. Prob a pipe dream since TB prob will make sure he is resigned but we do need a #1 center somewhere.

arab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
When they are some of the best Americans in the world I think it is okay. Its not like they are only looking for American born players, just that they seem to be available where they are drafting/signing.

Although that would make for quite a few:
Drury
Callahan
Dubinsky
Sanguinetti
McDonagh
Kreider
Bourque
Sauer
Boyle

I am sure I missing some players and I am sure some will not be here by then and others will be added but that is a lot of Americans.
I definately wonder about that. Is there a preference for American born players? Ya know being an American based team in the biggest city in america etc.

Old
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by arab27 View Post
I would assume everyone likes Backes game as he plays like Cally with a more talent. But giving contracts in the NHL to players in the 5 million dollar range especially to a forward is dangerous. The best way to win is have two stars with contracts in 7 million dollar range and then build rest of offense of players making 3 million or less. You can add a good def for 5 million. That being said if we did have any money in 2011 which I would say we wont, unless we had a Great GM which we know we dont. We could go after Stamkos as he will be a RFA, could offer him around 8 million a year if we somehow get rid of Drury. Yes TB could match but they are always stingy with money and will have no goalie under contract that year and will be a year away from resigning Hedman. Prob a pipe dream since TB prob will make sure he is resigned but we do need a #1 center somewhere.
I think you can say the same thing for Dustin Brown. All three players have very similar games. Brown and Backes maybe more skilled, but all have that in yur face game. All heart, very intense players. Kind of players that really make the charachter of your club.

Old
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Fletch

I can't do the math for 2011. First, just because $5MM in cap space comes off from dead weight doesn't mean you didn't have to, or didn't decide pony-up for guys like Dubi, Cally, Staal, among others. Further, there's a high likelihood that someone will be signed this season. Finally, who knows what the cap number will be. Without the full analyses to at least take a stab at those questions, it's tough to talk about free cap space in 2011.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I highly doubt they will let Backes hit UFA. That's what makes home-grown so much more important now. Most players don't reach UFA market until they are much older. Too many long term deals into a players prime or post-prime.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote