HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Sad State of Finnish Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
  #51
EmeticDonut
Registered User
 
EmeticDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 800
stop deluding yourself and think that finland has top end talent in the future. they'll probably have one player in the first round next year and that is still no guarantee they'll be a first line player. where is the replacement for selanne? there is no one in the future with his goalscoring talent. where is the replacement for timonen, salo, numminen? nowhere. finland will at best produce grinders on the 3rd and 4th lines, if even that.
a reorganization of the whole development program is needed if finland is going to stay competitive in the future. they understood that in sweden and did something about it and now look at the results, top end talent is being produced fairly evenly. but the finns will sit with their thumbs in their ***** and do nothing. until the whole hockey federation is purged clean of the old guard with their cronyism and losing ways, where silvers and bronzes are good enough, i don't see a bright future for finnish hockey. if you are not into winning then why bother at all.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:10 AM
  #52
FofH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
sad and sad. We have been going to these best on best tournaments past 20 with the same team. Few exceptions of course. Yesterdays game was a failure because the old guys were not ready to play. Part of the blame goes to coaching staff as the system what they tried to play was not fit to north american rinks. Also all the quotes would imply that the system was too complicated to be adopted in such a short time. That would fall also to the coaching staffs hands

We got 4 (5) medals from 91-2010 (best on best, 7 tournaments). Its an era that is ending. An era that im proud of. Im not afraid about the future, not that we are producing good talent but I see it as a necessary step to going foward. If we slump the next 10 years its a necessary slump that will shake the system and we start to produce good players. The system was at halt producint good talent due to the success seen with the old guys. Im actually eager to see what the future brings.

FofH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:34 AM
  #53
Fredrik_71
Registered User
 
Fredrik_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,021
vCash: 500
Finland needs another Matikainen reforming the junior development. Sweden has had a program for a while now and it really has made the difference.

The player material of Finland is the problem at this moment. Its a good team though and probably top-6 in the world.

It will never matter of good or bad Finland is because when Sweden and Finland mets its always a war. I love it!

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:36 AM
  #54
Finnpin
Jenni V
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
We have too many idiots running the hockey in Finland and lots of inside disputes...Kurri as a GM is just Kummola's string puppet. As long as nothing major movement doesn't happend I don't see the future very bright.

Fairplay junior work, everybody plays... oh yeah

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:59 AM
  #55
BiggieB
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
To those who think Finland is a top 4 hockey country, wake up. The games against Sweden and USA really showed how fair this team is from the top 4, we had absolutely no business in those games.
Take out those who were +30 in this team and what we got left?
(counted only players in the nhl.)

Forwards: M.Koivu, T. Ruutu, Miettinen, Filppula, Nokelainen, Bergenheim, J.Jokinen, Korpikoski and Leino.
So, a decent 1st line center, a second line center, a decent 4th line center, 2 x second line wingers, 1 3rd line winger, and few 4th line wingers / ahl guys.

Defensemans: Pitkänen, Lepistö, Salmela and Koistinen
One decent top 4 guy, 2 3rd pairing guys and a guy that wont be in the nhl anymore.

Most of these guys are 25-30y old.

And its not like we got much good prospect, specially on the defense. Without a change, Finland will be out of the top 6 in few years. I really hope that this team wont win the bronze game. Even if it doesnt i am afraid what we'll hear after the tournament goes like this "For a such a small country like Finland, the result was still good." and there wont be any changes.

Sorry there are probably some typos and stuff but a bit drunk right now.
I won't pretend to know the state of the game in Finland, but based on the talent that Finland has given to the NHL recently, I think it's early tears. Damn, Finland's playing for Bronze, what's Russia doing right now Finland? Yeah, thought I saw a little smile in there. The US has been coming up with some unexplainable games in this tournament, if you want to target them, save your voodoo for Sunday. If you want to be realistic, you're the same powerhouse you were before, just after a tough game that's hard to swallow. I hope the Finns pull for their recent enemy against Canada. I think the US could use the encouragement.

BiggieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:07 AM
  #56
teurasjate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
I won't pretend to know the state of the game in Finland, but based on the talent that Finland has given to the NHL recently, I think it's early tears. Damn, Finland's playing for Bronze, what's Russia doing right now Finland? Yeah, thought I saw a little smile in there. The US has been coming up with some unexplainable games in this tournament, if you want to target them, save your voodoo for Sunday. If you want to be realistic, you're the same powerhouse you were before, just after a tough game that's hard to swallow. I hope the Finns pull for their recent enemy against Canada. I think the US could use the encouragement.
Finland was lucky this time. I mean team Finland was HORRIBLE against Sweden and USA. They were lucky to play Czechs in the QF cause they were even bigger mess than Finland. They played 3 games against "top teams" and got ******** twice and they weren't exactly great in the quarter final either. It's npt looking good

teurasjate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:15 AM
  #57
AngeFIN
Registered User
 
AngeFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post
You missed the point. In all of these tournaments the core players were the same. They will not be in Sochi. The future is sad because the junior system is not producing new Koivus or Selannes.
There will be 2-3 new Selannes trained by Teemu in 10 years Eetu, Eemil and Leevi. They all play the RW position and all use the right side stick like Teemu.

AngeFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:28 AM
  #58
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 1068
I'm looking forward to Jori Lehterä, Mikael Granlund and Toni Rajala to be future NHL-stars. All of them have potential, but the question is will it be enough.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:31 AM
  #59
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Yep, I'm an ass because Finland can't win anything. Right..

Sorry to be brutally honest.
Yeah, USA has been dominating international hockey in past ten years..

Oh wait, ****, they weren't. Yesterday, you were like eleven times better, but let's remember the past 10 years?

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:10 AM
  #60
Finnpin
Jenni V
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
I'm looking forward to Jori Lehterä, Mikael Granlund and Toni Rajala to be future NHL-stars. All of them have potential, but the question is will it be enough.
And only Rajala has good wheels...and he is so small

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:32 AM
  #61
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
And only Rajala has good wheels...and he is so small
Sami Kapanen is small too. Still he pwned

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:16 AM
  #62
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
We have too many idiots running the hockey in Finland and lots of inside disputes...
Yeah, really smart idea turning down the services of Jarmo Kekäläinen when he offered them FOR FREE.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:30 AM
  #63
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
The Finns are a good team, its just that USA and Canada are that much better than everyone else.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:37 AM
  #64
FofH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
The Finns are a good team, its just that USA and Canada are that much better than everyone else.
yeah right.....

FofH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:48 AM
  #65
Peter25
Registered User
 
Peter25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
It may be the only chance Finland has
Actually Russia would be the team that would benefit the most if the NHL players don't come to Sochi.

Peter25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
  #66
Maindi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshinaya View Post
stop deluding yourself and think that finland has top end talent in the future. they'll probably have one player in the first round next year and that is still no guarantee they'll be a first line player. where is the replacement for selanne? there is no one in the future with his goalscoring talent. where is the replacement for timonen, salo, numminen? nowhere. finland will at best produce grinders on the 3rd and 4th lines, if even that.
a reorganization of the whole development program is needed if finland is going to stay competitive in the future. they understood that in sweden and did something about it and now look at the results, top end talent is being produced fairly evenly. but the finns will sit with their thumbs in their ***** and do nothing. until the whole hockey federation is purged clean of the old guard with their cronyism and losing ways, where silvers and bronzes are good enough, i don't see a bright future for finnish hockey. if you are not into winning then why bother at all.
Agreed 100%.

Maindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:52 AM
  #67
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
The US is a really good team and has come a long way from previous Olympic outings but their roster is still only about on par with the European powers IMO. I think they have been playing with a lot more enthusiasm than their respective opponents though and that makes for a lot in an energy-driven sport like hockey.

I can't quite say what it is but the Europeans played with a certain melancholy attitude in this tournament whereas the North Americans played at times like they figured this is THEIR tournament and they're going to own it. Sochi will be very different in my mind. Finns and Co. shouldn't be so down on themselves, there's some positives in not having a team carried by 35 year olds!

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
  #68
Socialist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Well, it was a good ride. There are other sports too

Socialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
  #69
1992LuckyTown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialist View Post
Well, it was a good ride. There are other sports too
You are thiking the finnish Football team Witch is carieed by the wery young Litmanen, Sami Hyypiä and Jussi Jääskeläinen

1992LuckyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:42 AM
  #70
cenas*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKarlRobin View Post
You are thiking the finnish Football team Witch is carieed by the wery young Litmanen, Sami Hyypiä and Jussi Jääskeläinen
Team Finland needs to play the greece type game from now on in Football. Just 100% defense and atleast make meeting Finland a pain in the ass for the big countries..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:48 AM
  #71
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 50
There needs to be some breeding.

Do any of the old superstars have a daughter or granddaughter roughly Mikko Koivus age?

Bobby Orr?
Kharlamov?
Makarov?
Fetisov?
Wayne Gretzky?
Gordie Howe?
Jari Kurri?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:06 AM
  #72
EmeticDonut
Registered User
 
EmeticDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 800

this muppet needs to be the first to go from the finnish hockey federation and all his cronies are to follow. this is the face of the demise of finnish hockey.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
  #73
Vimars
Registered User
 
Vimars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
The point of the results is that the "sad state" is not here yet. And it may not be here four or eight years from now. You can predict that it will be but you can also count on the new prospects.

Vimars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
  #74
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,883
vCash: 500
I still have hopes for Finland

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
  #75
EmeticDonut
Registered User
 
EmeticDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimars View Post
The point of the results is that the "sad state" is not here yet. And it may not be here four or eight years from now. You can predict that it will be but you can also count on the new prospects.
why wait until you hit rock bottom, before you start to retool, when it's already too late?! what new prospects do you expect to fill the shoes of the guys retiring within the next couple of years?

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.