HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010/2011 Season

Old
02-26-2010, 10:14 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
2010/2011 Season

I wanted to get some ideas from you guys. Let me set up the scenario:

Glen Sather has been fired (compliments for the fire Sather Rally on March 7th), and you are the one taking over as the General Manager.

The Question I pose to you guys/girls is what would be your realistic line combos for next season that you would feel comfortable going into next season saying this team has a legitimate shot at being a contender? Here is my chain of events:

Trade deadline 2010:
- Trade Dubinsky, Rosival, and Sauer to FLA for Stephen Weiss
- Trade Prospal, Girardi, and Jokinen for picks/prospects

Pre-Draft Day:
- Bury Redden in the minors

Draft Day 2010:
- Try to trade some picks/prospects to grab Tyler Seguin

Free Agency 2010:
- Sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a 8 yr deal at a $9 million cap hit
- Sign Dennis Sidenberg to a 2 year deal at a $3 million cap hit
- Resign Prospal to a 2 year deal at a $2 million if he wants to come back
- Resign Staal to a 2 year deal at a $2 million cap hit.
THE LINES:

Prospal-Weiss-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Seguin-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Drury
Prust-Boyle-Byers

Staal-Sidenberg
Del Zotto-Gilroy
Sanguinetti-Heikenin

Lundqvist
Johnson

Flaws-
- Defense is very young and inexperienced, I think our offense can combat that problem however, and then there is always Hank as a last resort.

P.S.- I think the Salaries might be a little high, but I really can't figure out capgeek, so if someone can do that for me I'd appreciate it.

AND FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR LINES AS WELL.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:57 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I'm not opposed to your deadline moves this year, but, in the summer, I think you're undercutting every player except Seid that you mentioned signing.

Kovalchuk won't likely take $9, even though that should be the fair ballpark for him.

Staal for $2, right now, is shaping to be a joke, as is Prospal at $2, and I think Seidenberg is barely worth $2m..

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:41 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I wanted to get some ideas from you guys. Let me set up the scenario:

Glen Sather has been fired (compliments for the fire Sather Rally on March 7th), and you are the one taking over as the General Manager.

The Question I pose to you guys/girls is what would be your realistic line combos for next season that you would feel comfortable going into next season saying this team has a legitimate shot at being a contender? Here is my chain of events:

Trade deadline 2010:

Pre-Draft Day:
- Bury Redden in the minors

Draft Day 2010:
- Try to trade some picks/prospects to grab Tyler Seguin

Free Agency 2010:
- Sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a 8 yr deal at a $9 million cap hit
- Sign Dennis Sidenberg to a 2 year deal at a $3 million cap hit
- Resign Prospal to a 2 year deal at a $2 million if he wants to come back
- Resign Staal to a 2 year deal at a $2 million cap hit.
THE LINES:

Prospal-Weiss-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Seguin-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Drury
Prust-Boyle-Byers

Staal-Sidenberg
Del Zotto-Gilroy
Sanguinetti-Heikenin

Lundqvist
Johnson

Flaws-
- Defense is very young and inexperienced, I think our offense can combat that problem however, and then there is always Hank as a last resort.

P.S.- I think the Salaries might be a little high, but I really can't figure out capgeek, so if someone can do that for me I'd appreciate it.

AND FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR LINES AS WELL.
Wow Wow how did you find a way for the Panthers take on all that salary and just give up Weiss?

Jokkie is a ufa and Prospal I can not see being traded even with a decent 5 dman in Girardi who is a helluva player in a defined role as a 5th dman btw.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat986 View Post
Wow Wow how did you find a way for the Panthers take on all that salary and just give up Weiss?

Jokkie is a ufa and Prospal I can not see being traded even with a decent 5 dman in Girardi who is a helluva player in a defined role as a 5th dman btw.
Why not?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I hate the thought of giving up the only physical player in the top 6 for a player who is under 6ft. Just not sold on Weiss at all, no matter how good a season he is having.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Trade Deadline:

Redden + Potter + 3rd for Souray + 5th -- get reddens contract off the books 2 years sooner essentially.
Rosival + Dubinsky + Sanguinetti for Horton + Seidenberg
Trade Prospal + Jokinen for Mid-Late 1st round picks.

Offseason:

Trade Sauer + Bourque/Werek for the rights to Alexander Radulov
Sign Ilya Kovalchuk 7 years, 8.2 mill cap hit
Re-sign Marc Staal (2 years 2.2 mill cap hit) + Dan Girardi (1 year 1.5 mill)
Draft Tyler Seguin after losing for the remainder of the season.

Kovalchuk(8.2) -Anisimov(1) -Gaborik(7.5)
Radulov(1)-Seguin(3.5)-Horton(4)
Avery(2)-Drury(7)-Callahan(2.3)
Grachev(1)-Boyle(0.5)-Shelley/Byers(0.5)

Del Zotto(1.5)-Gilroy(1.7)
Staal(2.2)-Girardi(1.2)
Souray(5.2)-McDonough(0.5)

Henrik(6.9)
Johnson(0.5)

Roughly 57 million

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
All you guys who think we will get Kovulchuk are nuts

02-27-2010, 11:40 AM
jniklast

Maybe we should consider targeting some RFAs. Both Bobby Ryan and Backstrom would be exactly what this team needs. And although I doubt we have much of a chance on either, why not try if they aren't signed?

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Trade deadline 2010:
Dubinsky:
2010-11 cap hit 1.85 mil
23 years old
6'1" 210 lbs
31 points in 49 games (.63 ppg)
+11
FO %: 52.7
Hits: 93 in 49 games (1.9 per game)
Blocks: 29 in 49 games (.59 per game)

Weiss
2010-11 cap hit 3.1 mil
26 years old
5'11" 191 lbs
48 points in 59 games (.81 ppg)
FO %: 52.6
Hits: 37 in 59 games (.63 per game)
Blocks: 36 in 59 games (.61 per game)

Weiss at 23
48 points in 74 games (.65 ppg)

Dubinsky is bigger, cheaper and 3 years younger than Weiss. Dubinsky has 3 times the number of hits per game and has a much better +/-. And Dubinsky's offensive totals are on par with Weiss's at the same age.

The only advantage that Weiss has is that right now, at the age of 26, he scores .18 more points per game and he's shown to be a bit more of a goal scorer than Dubinsky. But again, if you look at the numbers from when Weiss was 23, he had 20 goals in 74 games. Dubinsky has 13 in 49 games. That's a pace of 19-20 goals in 74 games.

So offensively, Dubinsky is exactly where Weiss was at the same age. And Dubinsky is by far the more physical player. So why should we trade Dubinsky, Rozsival and Sauer for Weiss? Makes no sense. You'd pay an extra 1.25 mil per year in cap space for .18 points per game? Over an 82 game season that's about 15 points.

On top of all that, these deals involve trading 5 roster players and only getting back 1. Who do we put in the other 4 spots? Should we gut Hartford and stunt player development so that we can finish out the year?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat986 View Post

The only salary they'd be taking on is Rosival, so they can make the salaries work out, and Dubinsky. The only extra salary they'd take on would be Duibinsky's 1.5 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Dubinsky:
2010-11 cap hit 1.85 mil
23 years old
6'1" 210 lbs
31 points in 49 games (.63 ppg)
+11
FO %: 52.7
Hits: 93 in 49 games (1.9 per game)
Blocks: 29 in 49 games (.59 per game)

Weiss
2010-11 cap hit 3.1 mil
26 years old
5'11" 191 lbs
48 points in 59 games (.81 ppg)
FO %: 52.6
Hits: 37 in 59 games (.63 per game)
Blocks: 36 in 59 games (.61 per game)

Weiss at 23
48 points in 74 games (.65 ppg)

Dubinsky is bigger, cheaper and 3 years younger than Weiss. Dubinsky has 3 times the number of hits per game and has a much better +/-. And Dubinsky's offensive totals are on par with Weiss's at the same age.

The only advantage that Weiss has is that right now, at the age of 26, he scores .18 more points per game and he's shown to be a bit more of a goal scorer than Dubinsky. But again, if you look at the numbers from when Weiss was 23, he had 20 goals in 74 games. Dubinsky has 13 in 49 games. That's a pace of 19-20 goals in 74 games.

So offensively, Dubinsky is exactly where Weiss was at the same age. And Dubinsky is by far the more physical player. So why should we trade Dubinsky, Rozsival and Sauer for Weiss? Makes no sense. You'd pay an extra 1.25 mil per year in cap space for .18 points per game? Over an 82 game season that's about 15 points.

On top of all that, these deals involve trading 5 roster players and only getting back 1. Who do we put in the other 4 spots? Should we gut Hartford and stunt player development so that we can finish out the year?
The only reason I would be interested in trading Dubinsky for Weiss is becuase of the type of player he is. More precisely, Dubinsky is a scoring center, one could argue that he isn't much of a playmaker at all, I would go after Weiss because I consider him more of the playmaking center we need on the 1st line.

Now is he that stud, superstar center that we need, no; but I think he would do great with Gaborik more so than Dubinsky, personally. With scoring being equal (let's say for example they'd both be 20-25 goal scorers), what sets Weiss apart is I think he is a good playmaker, and I just don't see that out of Dubinsky. Dubinsky is a grinding, more goal-oriented center, and that isn't necessarily what we need out of our centermen on the 1st line, we need someone who could get Gaborik the puck. That's why I would do that deal.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
The only salary they'd be taking on is Rosival, so they can make the salaries work out, and Dubinsky. The only extra salary they'd take on would be Duibinsky's 1.5 million.

The only reason I would be interested in trading Dubinsky for Weiss is becuase of the type of player he is. More precisely, Dubinsky is a scoring center, one could argue that he isn't much of a playmaker at all, I would go after Weiss because I consider him more of the playmaking center we need on the 1st line.

Now is he that stud, superstar center that we need, no; but I think he would do great with Gaborik more so than Dubinsky, personally. With scoring being equal (let's say for example they'd both be 20-25 goal scorers), what sets Weiss apart is I think he is a good playmaker, and I just don't see that out of Dubinsky. Dubinsky is a grinding, more goal-oriented center, and that isn't necessarily what we need out of our centermen on the 1st line, we need someone who could get Gaborik the puck. That's why I would do that deal.
Gaborik gets the puck no matter who he's playing with because he's so good at getting to the open areas at the right time. I really don't think our focus should be finding a nice center for him. Honestly, I think priority one should be getting rid of Redden and replacing him with a legit veteran presence on the blue-line. Secondly, we need another legit GOAL-SCORING threat. Since it's going to be close to impossible to get a top-tier set-up man for either 1C or 2C, we should be looking for someone who scores goals, not someone who can assist. ie: Send Redden to HTFD, Sign Volchenkov. Stay pat unless the right trade comes along. Next year's UFA class could be a LOT better if the following don't re-up: B. Richards, J. Thornton, Backes (unlikely to hit FA), Hejduk(although old), Stamkos(RFA), M. Koivu, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Samsonov, Markov (D), Patrice Bergeron

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:26 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Neither one is a true #1 at this point IMO. Dubinsky for Weiss is at best a lateral move. I just don't see the value in a trade like that. If we are going to trade Dubinsky, it better be in a package for a young, legitimate #1 center. Weiss isn't that guy.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:32 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Gaborik gets the puck no matter who he's playing with because he's so good at getting to the open areas at the right time. I really don't think our focus should be finding a nice center for him. Honestly, I think priority one should be getting rid of Redden and replacing him with a legit veteran presence on the blue-line. Secondly, we need another legit GOAL-SCORING threat. Since it's going to be close to impossible to get a top-tier set-up man for either 1C or 2C, we should be looking for someone who scores goals, not someone who can assist. ie: Send Redden to HTFD, Sign Volchenkov. Stay pat unless the right trade comes along. Next year's UFA class could be a LOT better if the following don't re-up: B. Richards, J. Thornton, Backes (unlikely to hit FA), Hejduk(although old), Stamkos(RFA), M. Koivu, Justin Williams, Erik Cole, Samsonov, Markov (D), Patrice Bergeron
I took care of both of those, Sign Kovalchuk and also since we would have a limited amount of space left I think that Seidenberg could be good value and provide that veteran stable presence we need as you implied.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:36 PM
ANTC

half you guys are crazy for thinking about moving pros or joke

ANTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:37 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Neither one is a true #1 at this point IMO. Dubinsky for Weiss is at best a lateral move. I just don't see the value in a trade like that. If we are going to trade Dubinsky, it better be in a package for a young, legitimate #1 center. Weiss isn't that guy.
I understand your argument, but personally I don't think we could get that true young legitimate center that you're suggesting by trading Dubinsky. There aren't many out there that fit that bill, and for the ones off the top of my head we'd need to package a lot to get them.

That's why I feel that Weiss could help our team and could come reasonably cheap compared to other options. Again, I understand you're arguement, but I don't think it is a lateral move, personally. They are completely different types of plays that when put on a line would have completely different impacts, like I said previously Dubinsky, to me, is a scoring grinder, and Weiss is a playmaker, imagine a scenario where the game is tight, I would feel a lot more comfortable putting Weiss on a line with Kovalchuk and Gaborik then Dubinsky becuase Weiss will set them both up. This is all my personal opinion however, and I understand our opinions differ on this subject, but this is what I think.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

1) Waive Redden to Hartford (if he can't be move, which I highly doubt he can without giving up a valuable pick or prospect, this NEEDS to be done. He is not a NHL player anymore. It sucks, but he isn't. I will have absolutely no hope for the team next year if he's still on the roster on opening night.)

2) Anisimov, Gilroy, Rozsival, 2nd for B. Richards, 4th (His cap hit is ridiculous (7.8) but it's only for another year and then we'd get first dibs to try to re-sign him to a more reasonable cap-friendly deal)

3) Re-sign Prospal 2 years 2.25 mil

4) Sign Volchenkov (5 years, 5 mil)

5) Wishful thinking: Grachev and Stepan make the team (Why it isn't far-fetched: although Grachev hasn't been OVERLY impressive in Hartford, he did almost make the Rangers out of camp this year so a full year of the pro-game should only increase his chances next year. Stepan had a brilliant WJC and I've heard from a number of sources who feel he may be ready for the pro-level next season; whether its in the AHL or NHL is yet to be seen)

Prospal Richards Gaborik
Grachev Dubinsky Callahan
Drury Stepan Avery
Prust Boyle Shelley

Staal Volchenkov
DelZotto Girardi
Sanguinetti UFA (Jurcina, Wallin, or a #6 veteran 1year deal)

Lundqvist
Auld / Johnson / league-minimum backup

Old
02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTC View Post
half you guys are crazy for thinking about moving pros or joke
Not necessarily. It doesn't look like we will have a competitive team for the rest of the way, or even if we make the playoffs we probably won't go deep into them. What's so crazy about not trading for picks and prospects for guys who aren't guarenteed to come back. They leave for FA and we get nothing, we might as we get some value for them while we can, it would be crazy not to trade them unless you think we a going for the Stanley Cup this year ()

Old
02-27-2010, 02:43 PM
John Torturella

I would not sign Kovalchuk. I dont think he could handle the pressure. What has he done in any big situation outside of laying an egg? Im not gonna throw 9 million a year at a guy who you can reasonably call a question mark.

Besides havent we learned by now that big contracts are bad? We have given out about 5 of them since the lockout and we are 0 for 4 with an injury question mark.

The most successful teams dont build through free agency.

Look at the last 4 Champions:

Pittsburgh- Built through draft.
Detroit- All home grown
Ducks- Huge pieces of their team were home grown.
Carolina-Eric Staal, Cam Ward. Period.

The point is that going out and sign free agents wont do jack unless you develop really good players internally and get the perfect players for your situation.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
nyr2417

I personally am totally against signing kovalchuk due to how much he wants, and how one dimensional he is as a player. That being said I think that we have to stop giving Redden chances and just toss his ass to hartford for the rest of his contract, this may be unrealistic but it's a move that must be made. I think we should do this rather than trade rosi because although rosi is a bit overpaid i feel as though hes played pretty well this season and I wouldn't mind having him on the team next year. And our absolute number one priority should be to sign volchenkov and lock him up to a 4yr/4.5 cap hit he'll bring a physical presence and he is a great defensive defenseman. Just imagine being able to have him and staal on the ice for a combined 45 minutes of a game.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:03 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I would not sign Kovalchuk. I dont think he could handle the pressure. What has he done in any big situation outside of laying an egg? Im not gonna throw 9 million a year at a guy who you can reasonably call a question mark.

Besides havent we learned by now that big contracts are bad? We have given out about 5 of them since the lockout and we are 0 for 4 with an injury question mark.

The most successful teams dont build through free agency.

Look at the last 4 Champions:

Pittsburgh- Built through draft.
Detroit- All home grown
Ducks- Huge pieces of their team were home grown.
Carolina-Eric Staal, Cam Ward. Period.

The point is that going out and sign free agents wont do jack unless you develop really good players internally and get the perfect players for your situation.
Built through tanking for 7 years*

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
All you guys who think we will get Kovulchuk are nuts
Can't disagree on that. Obviously I'd love to have him here, but it ain't realistic with all the contracts we have. Redden, Rozy, Drury will all be here...

Kovy will return to Russia next season. Gut feeling.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Can't disagree on that. Obviously I'd love to have him here, but it ain't realistic with all the contracts we have. Redden, Rozy, Drury will all be here...

Kovy will return to Russia next season. Gut feeling.
As long as he isn't in Jersey next year I'm happy

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
EvilEmpire94

We should not spend the money on Kovalchuk. The Rangers are more than just a superstar away from the cup.

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Richter35

Well if Sather is getting fired thanks to the rally that would be after the trade deadline no? In any case, I would take a more conservative approach. As it stands, the east is still pretty open and the boss (dolan) wants playoff money. Off the roster I move nobody unless I'm saving cap dollars for next season or dumping dead weight.

Deadline:
Prospal/Jokinen stay

Lisin + Voros (God willing) + Girardi to ANA for Boynton (waived if he stinks), Artyukhin PHI 1st
call up Heikkenen from HFD to replace Boynton if he's no good

Draft

Trade both my firsts to get a high pick - top 10 at least

Summer

Let go vally/paranteau/wiikman/ambuhl. heikkenen probably leaves even tho i like him.
re-sign auld for 550k

Brashear + Gilroy + Sauer to CLB for hejda and boll (might have to add more to that package from NYR dunno)

Sign Prospal to one year at 2.25M, Jokinen to 1 year at 4.0MM (take it or leave it), otherwise Demitra for 2.5MM 1 yr (same idea)

I don't think rozy/redden go anywhere this summer, Staal re-signed for 2.5MM cap (hopefully), sangs makes the big club

Prust/Boll/Christensen re-signed, bye bye Jody

Lines

Prospal - demitra/jokinen - Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Christensen
Prust-Boyle-Boll
Byers

Staal - Sanguinetti
Del Zotto - Hejda
Redden-Roszival
Potter

Lunker
Auld

edit: Cap is 56.5MM with Joker, 55MM with Demitra given that prust/boll take 575/600k, christensen at 750k, auld 550k, byers/potter 500k,

Last edited by Richter35: 02-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
Well if Sather is getting fired thanks to the rally that would be after the trade deadline no? In any case, I would take a more conservative approach. As it stands, the east is still pretty open and the boss (dolan) wants playoff money. Off the roster I move nobody unless I'm saving cap dollars for next season or dumping dead weight.

Deadline:
Prospal/Jokinen stay

Lisin + Voros (God willing) + Girardi to ANA for Boynton (waived if he stinks), Artyukhin PHI 1st
call up Heikkenen from HFD to replace Boynton if he's no good

Draft

Trade both my firsts to get a high pick - top 10 at least

Summer

Let go vally/paranteau/wiikman/ambuhl. heikkenen probably leaves even tho i like him.
re-sign auld for 550k

Brashear + Gilroy + Sauer to CLB for hejda and boll (might have to add more to that package from NYR dunno)

Sign Prospal to one year at 2.25M, Jokinen to 1 year at 4.0MM (take it or leave it), otherwise Demitra for 2.5MM 1 yr (same idea)

I don't think rozy/redden go anywhere this summer, Staal re-signed for 2.5MM cap (hopefully), sangs makes the big club

Prust/Boll/Christensen re-signed, bye bye Jody

Lines

Prospal - demitra/jokinen - Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Christensen
Prust-Boyle-Boll
Byers

Staal - Sanguinetti
Del Zotto - Hejda
Redden-Roszival
Potter

Lunker
Auld

edit: Cap is 56.5MM with Joker, 55MM with Demitra given that prust/boll take 575/600k, christensen at 750k, auld 550k, byers/potter 500k,
So we go from Girardi and Gilroy to Hejda and Sanguinetti, and we have virtually the same forward lineup... Sorry but that lineup stinks, imo. I know my post is a lot of wishful thinking, but there's very little chance that we keep such a similar team next season after the obvious flaws and holes seen with the squad this year.

As I've said before, priority #1 should be getting Redden's cap-hit off this team ASAP. After that is done, shuffle the deck however you like and it's going to be better.