HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-26-2010, 11:45 PM
JamieG

vCash: 500
Crosby's Olympic performance

Heading into the Gold medal game, what do you think of Sidney Crosby's performance thus far at the Olympics?

The greatest players usually use these types of tournaments to cement their place in history and there was so much hype for the last few years about how this Olympics would be the Ovechkin and Crosby show (ironic now since they were both busts in the big Russia vs Canada game).

So what do you think of Crosby's performance with one and the most important game to go? Early on I was in Crosby's corner, I was in the group that thought he played well when it counted against the U.S and should have got more ice time that game, but now in answer to the question, I'd have to say I've been disappointed in his play. I don't think he has stepped up. If it wasn't for the rest of the team coming together, I think he would be taking a lot of heat, but when the rest of the team wins, stars can escape the attention.

Tonight was a good example, I thought Crosby was pretty invisible, but at the end of the first intermissions the Canadian announcers say going into it Crosby and Thornton needed to step up and Crosby has done that. Huh? Even Pierre McGuire said "Crosby has done a lot of good things in the 1st, but..." (which is about as harsh as McGuire will get on a Canadian star). Crosby and linemates (at some point I think we have to stop blaming the coaches for not finding the right linemates) couldn't get it don to expand the lead when it was 2-0, and the Getzlaf group came through instead. Then Crosby had a bad turnover that almost led to a goal against and a few other sketchy decisions defensively.

So, thus far I'd say he has been disappointing. But of course his reputation will be formed with the Gold medal game. But it continues like this, even if Canada wins, I'd say Crosby has been rather ineffective rather than standing out and being one of the better players in the tournament or even on his own team.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Kitten Mittons

Both Crosby and Thornton had good games (sans the terrible turnover). Not everything is recorded on the score sheet.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Who?

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:48 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Stop bashing players because they don't put points. Everyone on Canada is fine and plays good team game.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:49 PM
stupendousman

He's been good, but not Sidney Crosby good.

stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Ishdul

Well, certainly not his best but it's not like he's playing particularly bad or anything. It's also incomplete without the gold medal game.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:50 PM
hplovecraft

He seems to be trying to do a lot himself and second guessing his plays. He shouldn't need to with guys like Staal and Iginla flanking him.

That line, however, has been pretty good otherwise. They're defensively sound (minus the one-handed play by Crosby), and are very dangerous in close around the net.

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Both Crosby and Thornton had good games (sans the terrible turnover). Not everything is recorded on the score sheet.
if sharks fans still cant see that thornton cant step up for big games they never will

crosby has not been good enough no other way to put it

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Crosby doesn't have breakaway speed like he did in his Hart trophy season. I think that high ankle sprain is still affecting him. But yeah Sid hasn't dominated, nobody really has. USA has Parise and Miller making timely play after timely play. Roberto and Sid have to step up on sunday.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wild33

He has been great. He has set up his linemates many times with no conversion and he's a little snakebitten as well. He is going against others teams top lines and giving them nothing. He has been great defensively, winning face-offs and his backchecking as stopped many rushes. Like said above everything isn't seen on the scoresheet. That's why Crosby is the most complete player he can bring whatever game you want to the table.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
Is "Invisible" a legal answer?

For the talent that Crosby is playing with, he should be lighting the lamp every shift, especially considering the 'great' talent he plays with in Pittsburgh (save for Malkin).

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Azumi*

He hasn't looked like the best player on the ice in any game.

He hasn't controlled any game.

He's looked ok. That isn't good enough.

He looks VERY lazy defensively, which is something I never expected from him. It's like he doesn't have a fire anymore.

Azumi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:52 PM
leafsfuture

Here is which forwards have outplayed Crosby:
Getzlaf, Staal, Perry, Nash, Toews, Iggy, Heatley, Marleau.

The scary part is that Crosby still leads Canadian forwards in icetime. How he deserves 5 - 6 more minutes a night than the Getzlaf line is beyond me

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Crosby was especially fine tonight in the third - his line-mates didn't help him out much though.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lui One Hall

Haven't really noticed him yet...

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dubey
So hot right now

non-factor

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
JamieG

It's not all about points. He had some very questionable defensive decisions that didn't lead to goals (it's not all about points or goals against -- you can make bad reads that don't lead to goals against), but he is expected to step up at big times and I don't think you can say he has.

I'm neither a Crosby fan boy or a Crosby basher. I felt he played well in the USA game, but the overall and the last two game have left me disappointed.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Crosby has been ok, his last 2 games he hasn't had a point but he has been solid. His passing has been great but his scoring hasn't been there.

The pens need to lose in the first round this year, so Malkin and Sid can get some rest. They have barely rested these past 2 years.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Crosby has been ok, his last 2 games he hasn't had a point but he has been solid. His passing has been great but his scoring hasn't been there.

The pens need to lose in the first round this year, so Malkin and Sid can get some rest. They have barely rested these past 2 years.
Other than the 2 offseasons...

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:57 PM
hplovecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
Crosby was especially fine tonight in the third - his line-mates didn't help him out much though.
His line-mates have played better than him the past couple of games, IMO.

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Jonas1235

He's 22 years old. It's very tough for young players to make an impression at the biggest stage in hockey against veteran teams.

Where was Ovechkin or Malkin in this tournament?

Gretzky has his first great international tournament in 1987. He was 25 I believe.

Patience is needed for young players at this big of a level.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:59 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumi View Post
He hasn't looked like the best player on the ice in any game.

He hasn't controlled any game.

He's looked ok. That isn't good enough.

He looks VERY lazy defensively, which is something I never expected from him. It's like he doesn't have a fire anymore.
Azumi, that is pretty much my impression as well. Fans shouldn't need announcers screaming about a player's lazy defensive play to notice because lord knows they pick their spots depending upon who it is -- but he has been lazy defensively.

Crosby is a great player (personally I think he's the best in the NHL). This is the biggest stage he's played on...and he's delivered a performance that fits your description. It's disappointing.

Koss, I agree the Crosby line had a couple of good shifts late in the game, but I don't think that salvaged their performance. He also had a couple of turnovers and misreads that could have been disastrous in the third.

The "It's not all about the score sheet" doesn't always work as a default answer to defend a player.

Old
02-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse Bundy View Post
Other than the 2 offseasons...
Shortened Off seasons, with tons of Media work. Ask any Red wing or Penguin, those shortened off seasons take a toll on your body, especially when they are back to back.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:01 AM
MR50goalscorer
Grabo nets 50 !

Crosby = 4th line center on Sunday, Not producing offensively + Giveaways = Big Liability, costing us goals against the USA

MR50goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Stop bashing players because they don't put points. Everyone on Canada is fine and plays good team game.
Bergeron says hello.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote