HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Delayed Penalty Own-Net Goal

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Jonathan Iilahti*

vCash: 500
Delayed Penalty Own-Net Goal

No touch icing possibly presents a weird situation that could cause a rule contradiction. If team A is called for a penalty and the puck goes into their own net from beyond the center line and is touched last by a player from Team B, is it a goal or is it icing?

Old
03-02-2010, 12:57 AM
fronkjonk*

So it crosses the goal line into the net?

I would assume a goal, and wasting your time asking was ridiculous.

Old
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Can't ice the puck to your own zone....
it would be a goal.

The time it happened in the Canada game... it was a mistake blowing the whistle... the refs crossed themselves up

Old
03-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Stick To Your Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronkjonk View Post

Easy bud it was just a question. I was confused too with that call by the refs.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Jonathan Iilahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronkjonk View Post

Do you think before you post, or just spew the first garbage idea that comes into your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Can't ice the puck to your own zone....
it would be a goal.

The time it happened in the Canada game... it was a mistake blowing the whistle... the refs crossed themselves up
It happens a lot on a delayed penalty when the team with penalty against touches the puck but does not gain possession and play carries on. If that happened and the puck tipped off of one of their sticks and down the ice, it could be icing.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Bandit

This is impossible, even in the one remote situation where it could theoretically even happen. The team would have to shoot the puck prior to taking the penalty and the Goalie would have to leave the net before the puck made it down the ice. Never gonna happen.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:06 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher0805 View Post
No touch icing possibly presents a weird situation that could cause a rule contradiction. If team A is called for a penalty and the puck goes into their own net from beyond the center line and is touched last by a player from Team B, is it a goal or is it icing?
are you talking about this :

except its tipping off the opponents stick for an icing?

Old
03-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Jonathan Iilahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
are you talking about this :

Yeah, that's the situation I'm trying to describe.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Bandit

Quote:

In order to ice the puck you have to intentionally shoot it down the ice, it can't just bounce off your ass when you're not looking if it's shot by the other team and you get called for icing. Shooting it down the ice means control. Control on a delayed penalty means a whistle. Never going to happen.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:09 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Yeah, that's the situation I'm trying to describe.
i am almost positive that would be a goal then...

because its not icing if its going into the net right? PLUS i believe if the puck goes through the crease icing is negated anyways

Old
03-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Jonathan Iilahti*

Quote:

because its not icing if its going into the net right? PLUS i believe if the puck goes through the crease icing is negated anyways
It's usually not icing if it's going into the net because the goalie stops it. But technically the icing line is the same line as the goal line.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

No way this counts. A puck in the net does NOT automatically count as a goal. For example - it could be kicked in, shot after the whistle, or deflected in by a high stick.

Case in point: does anybody remember when Travis Green kicked the puck from his own blueline into the Lightning net? Daren Puppa wanted the icing call, so he didn't stop it. The puck went straight into the net. It was kicked in, though, and the refs knew that it wouldn't count, so they didn't blow the whistle. It was a race for the puck between Dykhuis and Green. They skated the length of the ice at full steam, and then both went barreling into the empty net. Puppa stepped out of the way at the last moment. Was it icing or not? The video replay was inconclusive. You couldn't tell, from any angle, whether Dykhuis or Green touched the puck first. So they had the faceoff at centre ice.

Good question.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Bandit

Are you guys sure you're Canadian?

Old
03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
robdicks

Quote:
It's usually not icing if it's going into the net because the goalie stops it. But technically the icing line is the same line as the goal line.

although the leafs were on a pp... so i guess that doesnt help haha

Old
03-02-2010, 01:26 AM
robdicks

Quote:
sure but if the puck goes through the crease icing is supposed to be waived off no?

Old
03-02-2010, 01:43 AM
glucker

guys, it's not icing if it goes into the net... just think back to any empty net situation, where the defending team shoots it at the net from their own zone... they're not going for an icing, they're going for the goal. In fact, I'm fairly certain I've seen empty net goals from across the ice before.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:47 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
guys, it's not icing if it goes into the net... just think back to any empty net situation, where the defending team shoots it at the net from their own zone... they're not going for an icing, they're going for the goal. In fact, I'm fairly certain I've seen empty net goals from across the ice before.
yeah of course ur right haha... i think the op is trying to say the auto-icing would negate that... but yeah if it goes it it wouldn't be icing

Old
03-02-2010, 01:52 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

meh i thought it was just if the goalies left to play the puck or if it's coming towards him.

if it comes towards the goalie, it's a shot, no?

Old
03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Jonathan Iilahti*

The more I think about this, the more idiotic my question seems. Obviously it would be a goal. I think I'm drinking too much.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Stripes

Quote:
It happens a lot on a delayed penalty when the team with penalty against touches the puck but does not gain possession and play carries on. If that happened and the puck tipped off of one of their sticks and down the ice, it could be icing.
1. If a player on the offending team touches the puck intentionally, that is a controlled action and play is stopped to call the penalty.

2. If a player on the offending team touches the puck unintentionally (IE: a blocked shot), it's not icing. Icing has to be an intentional clearing of the puck down the ice from your own side of centre ice.

3. Just for the record, no physical action of the team about to be penalized can have anything to do with the puck going into the non-offending team's empty net. The non-offending team has to put it into their own net completely via their own actions. Seeing the Shane O'Brien gaffe in this thread, even though he was pressured by a Phoenix forward, it stood because his action on the puck was the only action that put the puck into the net.

Quote:
No, it's not. It's the goal line. The goal line is used for icing purposes. "Icing line" is not a term in hockey.

Quote:
sure but if the puck goes through the crease icing is supposed to be waived off no?
Not anymore. In the NHL, once they modified the goal crease in the mid-late 90s, it was pointless to have that rule. It also no longer exists in the Hockey Canada rulebook. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if USA Hockey and the IIHF still wave off icing through the crease.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:

I was at that game. It was a goal.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
3. Just for the record, no physical action of the team about to be penalized can have anything to do with the puck going into the non-offending team's empty net. The non-offending team has to put it into their own net completely via their own actions.
Funny enough, in international hockey even that is only possible for about two or three years now. Before that, a delayed penalty against team A meant that team A couldn't score, even if team B put it into their own net.

If a team accidentally put the puck into their own net, the goal would have been waived off. Play would have stopped and the penalty would have been handed out.

They changed it to allow such goals in summer 2007 I think.

Old
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Dallas nearly had an own-goal in the playoffs vs. Vancouver; Turco was pulled for the extra attacker, and Modano missed a pass to the point, which caromed off the boards and headed back towards the open Stars net.

Missed by inches.

03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Shwag33

Once again, how can you get called for icing to your own zone.

The only way this could happen is:

1. Someone on team A shoots the puck down the ice.
2. Team A takes a penalty after this puck is shot.
3. Team B manages to realize this penalty in such a time that the goalie is pulled WHILE the puck is traveling at its own net.

Yeah, ummmm never ever going to happen.

Old
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Once again, how can you get called for icing to your own zone.

The only way this could happen is:

1. Someone on team A shoots the puck down the ice.
2. Team A takes a penalty after this puck is shot.
3. Team B manages to realize this penalty in such a time that the goalie is pulled WHILE the puck is traveling at its own net.

Yeah, ummmm never ever going to happen.
1. Someone on Team A shoots the puck down the ice.
2. Team A takes a penalty while the puck is in transit.
3. Team B has already pulled their goalie, as it is late in the third period and they are down a goal.

That being said, it's not an own-goal at this point. ;p

Closed Thread