HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
People who expect Crosby to put up 2-3 points a game aren't being realistic. This isn't an All-Star game.

People are forgetting that chemistry takes time... Crosby and Hossa took almost a 7-10 games before they looked good together. Then they were dominant as hell.

Getzlaf and Perry already have that chemistry...

Thornton, Marleau and Heatley already have that chemistry...

Not only that, but those lines get to play agt. the weaker pairings as well.

Crosby, Iggy and Staal have to play agt. the top pairings and have never played together before. But they are still generating great chances and cycling the puck well. If they had the benefit of abusing third and fourth liners, I'm sure their stats would be off the charts. But it isn't about stats, it is about each line having a role and the trickle down effect that allows a deep team like Canada to wear you down with their depth.

All this nonsense about Crosby having to "prove" himself in the gold game is ridiculous. He has done his job and so have his teammates. That is why it is called Team Canada, not Team Crosby.
All of this is true, but I think even the most ardent Crosby fans would admit that even though he's been good, Sid's decision-making on offense could use a tune-up. He's had a tendency to force passes when he's had quality opportunities himself, or alternately, try to carry it up the middle on a star-crossed solo dash.

We know he can be better, even on a team of all-stars. Toews doesn't have any more predetermined chemistry with his linemates than Sid does, but he's still managed to produce despite being used in a more defensive capacity. Now I love me some Toews, but Sid's the better player and he hasn't really shown it yet this tournament.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
eightyseven

Crosby tends to have success against Ryan Miller. I predict he will score at least one-goal against him today.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Dalton

He's the only forward past 100 minutes of playing time. 6 pts and +1 despite going -3 against the Americans. Babcock addressed this question pointing out Syd didn't score the most in the final last year but was instrumental in defeating his team nonetheless. He told Syd as much. Called him out after the Yank game. Syd's game is more than scoring. That's why he's better than Ovie.

Our first line just hasn't come together offensively yet. But we keep winning. Our only loss because of a shaky goalie and then only by a goal really. We're looking good with 3 hours to go.

Olympic Hockey Stats.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Let's just call a spade a spade...

You are constantly looking for ways to bash Crosby, but the little ***** went and won the Cup last season and along the way has turned himself into the most complete player in the game. Now the haters gotta really reach deep to find something criticize, but you won't let facts and reality slow your roll.

Hells no, you soldier on, soldier. Always finding new and delusional ways to bash Crosby.

Now your hero didn't show up at the Olympics, (sweet skates though, right?) and you are burning up about it. Then suddenly you see a post about Crosby's performance in the Olympics and figure you can troll the thread to make yourself feel better...

Am I close? Ya I don't even have to ask because we both know I'm right.

Crosby troll... Larionov's educated opinion... Crosby troll... Larionov's educated opinion... I just can't decide which opinion carries more weight...
The only person who seems to be burning up here is you. Like I said, Ovechkin wasn't an impact player in the tournament, it was far from his best. I've got no problem saying that, but it seems like you guys are the ones who have a problem saying Crosby hasn't been close to one of the best players in the world for this tournament. Instead of simply admitting it in a thread asking about his performance, you guys just trot out the same BS excuses for him. It's pretty funny actually

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
The stats are merely support for the educated opinions that you want to dismiss. Crosby hasn't been a game-breaker so far this tournament, but he's certainly been a big positive for the team overall in spite of his failure to find a groove with his linemates.
Funny, that sounds exactly like what I've been saying this entire time.

Old
02-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
The only person who seems to be burning up here is you. Like I said, Ovechkin wasn't an impact player in the tournament, it was far from his best. I've got no problem saying that, but it seems like you guys are the ones who have a problem saying Crosby hasn't been close to one of the best players in the world for this tournament. Instead of simply admitting it in a thread asking about his performance, you guys just trot out the same BS excuses for him. It's pretty funny actually
You were the one who said Crosby was a non-factor for the entire tournament. Those are your exact words, and they're laughable.

Most admit that Crosby hasn't been at his best, but has still been a very positive factor for the team. That seems to be the most reasonable assessment at this point.

Old
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Funny, that sounds exactly like what I've been saying this entire time.
There's a huge middle-ground between not being an Olympic game breaker and being a non-factor for the entire tournament.

Old
02-28-2010, 12:48 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
There's a huge middle-ground between not being an Olympic game breaker and being a non-factor for the entire tournament.
Well I'd say that the only game Crosby was really a "factor" in, in that his play went a long way to determining the outcome, was the game against the Swiss. Even then, I'd only say that because of the shootout.

Old
02-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Well I'd say that the only game Crosby was really a "factor" in, in that his play went a long way to determining the outcome, was the game against the Swiss. Even then, I'd only say that because of the shootout.
Again, there's a big middle ground between being *the* direct, deciding factor in a game (which he absolutely was against the Swiss) and being a non-factor.

Great boardwork, offensive zone-time, responsibility down low, critical face-offs, and some clutch offensive contributions (win or not, Crosby's goal against the US was important and could've been a game-changer had Perry not gone half-assed on the backcheck with the EN) are cumulative factors that lead to a win. It's why a player like Larionov, renowned for his mind for the game, would go out of his way to mention Crosby's work in all three zones.

It's also why some see how valuable Staal is to the Pens' success, and some don't.

Old
02-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Trust me, I don't burn up over posts like yours; I bust up laughing while I call out trolls like you. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows what your agenda is. You are transparent as hell.

No one has said in this thread Crosby has been elite, but saying Crosby has been a non-factor and trying to discredit what he has done is a joke, just like your posts.

I could find something wrong with every player on Team Canada if I wanted. When you micro-manage your criticism, it isn't too hard.

In the end, it is pretty common knowledge that you are a huge Crosby troll. But instead of manning up and saying it, you keep trying to say otherwise and act like your opinion isn't biased and delusional.

It's pretty comical actually... and sad.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
All of this is true, but I think even the most ardent Crosby fans would admit that even though he's been good, Sid's decision-making on offense could use a tune-up. He's had a tendency to force passes when he's had quality opportunities himself, or alternately, try to carry it up the middle on a star-crossed solo dash.

We know he can be better, even on a team of all-stars. Toews doesn't have any more predetermined chemistry with his linemates than Sid does, but he's still managed to produce despite being used in a more defensive capacity. Now I love me some Toews, but Sid's the better player and he hasn't really shown it yet this tournament.
I love Toews also, but if he was matched up against the #1 pairing every game, do you think he would be putting up 4 points a night?

I have said all along people expecting Crosby, Ao and Malkin to rack up huge points aren't familiar with Olympic hockey. This isn't an All-star game where players are playing firewagon hockey... teams are focusing in on stopping these three at all costs.

There is obviously another level for Crosby to go to. But my point is people arguing he hasn't impressed them because he hasn't put up 4 points a game is ridiculous.

Team Canada's opponents #1 priority coming into the game is to shut down Crosby. He has a role to play and that isn't scoring a hat trick every game.

When the focus is on Crosby, the other lines are put into more favorable matchups that their depth is allowing them to exploit.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:49 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
I have watched every Canadian game. He hasn't been very good defensively, and producing at a PPG when you play complete scrubs like Germany and Norway for half your games is not that impressive. Crosby has not been a top 5 forward for Canada in this tournament, that's just the fact of the matter.
Still don't buy that, sorry. You pretty much buried your credibility (something you should be used to by now) with that "he's been a NON-FACTOR in the entire tournament" comment. Your blind AO homerism is only exceeded by your never-ending desire to troll on every single Crosby thread.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Golden Jet

I knew he would be the difference in the end.

Golden Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 04:57 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Crosby scores the overtime winner !!!

What do you say now ???

spiny norman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 04:58 PM
FinnGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Crosby tends to have success against Ryan Miller. I predict he will score at least one-goal against him today.
Spot on.

FinnGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Well well well...

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

That will forever be his defining moment, no matter what he does in his career from now until the end.

Already a legend.

MR50goalscorer
Grabo nets 50 !

lucky goal by that floater

MR50goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Thepainter

Dude got a lucky bounce of the linesmen skate, and people think he's a hero?

No sports athlete is a hero.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Maindi

To be honest Crosby was invisible tonight except for the goal of course.

Maindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Dude got a lucky bounce of the linesmen skate, and people think he's a hero?

No sports athlete is a hero.
Oh my...can you say poor sport?

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:04 PM
ovie62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maindi View Post
To be honest Crosby was invisible tonight except for the goal of course.
story of his career.

ovie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM

lol, he scores the game winner for the gold medal in overtime and still gets hated on.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovie62 View Post
story of his career.
******** fan detected.

Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Pittsburgh Pens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurian View Post
lucky goal by that floater
i know you're a troll and all but how can you say he floated this game? Sure he's not been too affective this tournament but he was moving his feet and working hard.

Pittsburgh Pens* is offline   Reply With Quote