HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
03-01-2010, 12:34 AM
NewFang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Id say he wasnt top 10. Sure he could be in the top 20. 6-8 Canadian players contributed more overall IMO, then you add other nations, and its tight.
Debatable. He was in the top 10 for scoring. Add in the clutchness of some of his goals and some of his defensive plays and I think there is a good argument.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
PensFanSince1989

Crosby can't hear you guys. He has a stanley cup ring blocking his one ear and an Olympic gold medal blocking the other (have you seen the size of his ears?!?!?!O))...That, or he's just celebrating like crazy right now and can't hear you over the noise.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Who is Sidney Crosby?
Sidney Crosby once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
LeafsAlive2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
lol. Keep hating.

Sidney "clutch" Crosby scored the winning goals in both games that went to extra time. He was ppg, 1 point behind Teows for the lead in scoring on Team Canada.

But he wasn't even a top 20 player. Sure.
He wasn't a top 20 player in the tournament, you should it watch it all over again. He was barely a top 10 player on Canada alone.

LeafsAlive2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It most certainly can.
it shouldn't either way. If Crosby passed the puck to Parise in OT right in the slot and he ended the game then that shouldnt matter that much.

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive2010 View Post
He wasn't a top 20 player in the tournament, you should it watch it all over again. He was barely a top 10 player on Canada alone.
Whatever makes you sleep at night, I guess.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo View Post
It's amazing that at the age of 22, he has a Stanley Cup, an Olympic GOLD medal, a World Junior GOLD medal, and various NHL trophies...AMAZING!
My question to you, is if he doesnt play on Team Canada does he have these? I mean he plays for the one country in the world that considers hockey its number one sport. Most countries even competing in these tournaments don't consider hockey to even be one of their top 3 sports.

kinggelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
NewFang

Quote:

Old
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
LeafsAlive2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Whatever makes you sleep at night, I guess.
You're probably one of those biased Penguins fans who believed Lemieux was better than Gretzky. Move along junior.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
You're probably one of those biased Penguins fans who believed Lemieux was better than Gretzky. Move along junior.
This from the guy who's disputing the opinions of Larionov, Iginla, and Getzlaf?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
My question to you, is if he doesnt play on Team Canada does he have these? I mean he plays for the one country in the world that considers hockey its number one sport. Most countries even competing in these tournaments don't consider hockey to even be one of their top 3 sports.
He was a big part of all those wins. Pens don't win the cup without him. Would Canada have won the gold without his overtime goal? Without his shootout goal against the swiss? Maybe..maybe not.

Plenty of Canadians have not achieved what he has. So simply playing for Canada isn't a gold ticket.

Argue all you want, but Crosby's resume speaks for itself. The guy's a winner.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:46 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
This from the guy who's disputing the opinions of Larionov, Iginla, and Getzlaf?
I have a feeling we're arguing with a 13 year old kid. I'm being serious.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Yes I started watching when I lived there and they acquired Jagr
ahhh

now things are becoming more clear. you've been a fan for less then 10 years (i'm gonna guess) you stated watching when you were 6 or 7 years old.

certainly explains some of your views

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
LeafsAlive2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Datsyuk and Fedorov claimed Ovechkin is the best player in the world, does that mean we should believe them? It's all opinion, a lot of people have different opinions.

Crosby's barely a top 3 player in the NHL, not even the best player on his own team IMO.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Section337

Crosby will always have the defining moment and image from this tournament, at least for Team Canada. It will be shown again and again, just as are Henderson and Lemieux's goals. Some people will want to interpret that as people trying to say Crosby won the tournament by himself, because of how they feel about him. But they should remember that the goal is not the explanation, instead it is the exclamation mark.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:51 AM
NewFang

Fun Fact: Only one player in the tournament had more goals that Croz.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:51 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
Paul Henderson became a legend with one goal. No disrespect to Paul Henderson but he is no Sidney Crosby. How many goals did Paul Henderson score in the 72 summit? I doubt many know without looking up the stats. What they do know is that he scored the winning goal. Mario Lemieux scored the winning goal in the 87 Canada Cup. No one remembers or care how many goals he scored otherwise. Crosby's golden goal will be shown a million times if it is shown once. It was a dramatic and dynamic way to finish the game. 30 years from now people will not care if he had four or 10 goals at the olympics they will know he won Canada the gold in overtime with a golden goal. The only thing that is important in elite sports is winning. Crosby teams win.
Have you ever considered that the teams that Crosby's played on have won because he's been blessed by playing with a ton of talent? Crosby didn't win a Conn Smythe, Malkin did. Crosby wasn't producing in the Cup finals. Crosby had 1 point in the 4 Canadian elimination games. He's been bad, and 1 goal doesn't change that.

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
- 7 points (tied for 6th in the tournament)
- 4 goals (tied for 2nd in the tournament)
- 59.32% faceoffs (10th in tournament)
- Scored game winning goal in OT in gold medal game

If that "wasn't a top 20 player in the tournament", then I'd love to see your list, and what they produced during this tournament.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
SarahCrash

hey, I still have it saved on my PVR... If I knew how to put it onto my computer and upload it for your viewing I would. lots of other sites commenting on it, too..

Sidney Crosby first blows his nose into his hand and then spits in it... directly in front of the Team USA handshake lineup following Team Canada's loss to them a week ago.

http://*******************/articles/...t-usa-shows-it
why doesn't hf boards allow me to post this link?? it's ******************* google crosby blows it usa shows it and you'll find the article.

from NHL.com's fan site:
http://media.fans.nhl.com/_Crosby-sp...111820.html?b=

if you search twitter, you will see alot of people saw it live and tweeted... but, Canadian broadcast did not make a story of this.
example
http://twitter.com/RedWolves/status/9458026547
http://twitter.com/wbhenry2010/status/9458251356

SarahCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
LeafsAlive2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
Have you ever considered that the teams that Crosby's played on have won because he's been blessed by playing with a ton of talent? Crosby didn't win a Conn Smythe, Malkin did. Crosby wasn't producing in the Cup finals. Crosby had 1 point in the 4 Canadian elimination games. He's been bad, and 1 goal doesn't change that.
What are you talking about? Crosby carries all his teams on his back, it's not like he didn't play in Game 7 last year?

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Yes, it does.

As I said before, years from now no one is going to remember Crosby's poor performance in the elimination games. They're going to remember him as a clutch player who scored a gold-medal winning goal, rightly or wrongly. History is funny like that.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ronnyweed

Quote:
Datsyuk and Fedorov claimed Ovechkin is the best player in the world, does that mean we should believe them? It's all opinion, a lot of people have different opinions.

Crosby's barely a top 3 player in the NHL, not even the best player on his own team IMO.
its all opinions like you said... Id rather read a def mans perspecative on music at this point.

informed, unbaised opinions, is something you should strive for, I'll lend you a great book I have called "common hockey knowledge, not blind hatred" as a start

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Section337

Taking the way back machine to the 1984 Canada Cup, and one of my least favourite players was on the ice for Team Canada, Mike Bossy. A rather irrational dislike, I can admit, and I remember saying to myself while looking at him on the face-off, "If Bossy scores, I will never say anything bad about him again."

He scored, I never did.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:56 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Have you ever considered that teams Crosby's played on have won because they've been blessed to have him? Penguins don't make it past Washington if SId isn;t there, and he was the favorite for the Conn Smythe until the Carolina series when Malkin lit it up (a series which the pens would have won with or without Malkin).

And Crosby had more than 1 point in the last 4 games. Better check your facts if you want any credibility.

And yes, one overtime, gold medal winning goal DOES change a lot. Sorry.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
There's certainly an argument for Ovechkin, and to leave him out of the discussion would be stupid. It's a pick 'em, and they picked him.

Read what Getzlaf, Iginla, and Larionov had to say about Crosby. Or better yet, try to watch the games with open eyes and a hint of objectivity.

Quote:
Malkin hasn't even been on the same planet this year.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote