HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Pittsburgh Pens*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive2010 View Post
Datsyuk and Fedorov claimed Ovechkin is the best player in the world, does that mean we should believe them? It's all opinion, a lot of people have different opinions.

Crosby's barely a top 3 player in the NHL, not even the best player on his own team IMO.
We all know you're a Crosby hater, but barely a top 3 player in the NHL? He's easily with that Group (OV n Malkin)

Pittsburgh Pens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Where was he during the game? Didn't see him. Thanks for coming out though.
He was busy playing responsible hockey; grinding along the boards and fighting for loose pucks like he always does. Sorry he can't score every game but he didn't have to. Something tells me by the picture that he didn't care too much either.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yes, it does.

As I said before, years from now no one is going to remember Crosby's poor performance in the elimination games. They're going to remember him as a clutch player who scored a gold-medal winning goal, rightly or wrongly. History is funny like that.
Just because history is stupid like that doesn't mean we have to give it an excuse

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
Just because history is stupid like that doesn't mean we have to give it an excuse
Well then you can continue to fight the good fight by reminding people how below-average Crosby was in this tourney until the day you die and the rest of us will move on with our lives, I suppose.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
Have you ever considered that the teams that Crosby's played on have won because he's been blessed by playing with a ton of talent?
Washington was a higher seed than Pittsburgh last year, and Russia was as much of a favorite this year as Canada.

Of course, revisionist history will tell us that Crosby's teams were better, but that's because Crosby's teams have a curious habit of winning everything.

Quote:
Crosby didn't win a Conn Smythe, Malkin did.
He very well could have with the performance he had.

Quote:
Crosby wasn't producing in the Cup finals.
Babcock can tell you why. He can also tell you why Crosby was still instrumental in Pittsburgh winning.

Quote:
Crosby had 1 point in the 4 Canadian elimination games. He's been bad, and 1 goal doesn't change that.
2 points, champ. And if you think he's been bad, there's no shortage of professional broadcasters and hockey legends of different nationalities who'll say different.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:06 AM
capitalsfan

How's Ovie in this conversation

I was looking for Ovie's reporter incident and this thread came up, wtf.

He didn't even make the medals. That's because this is a team sport. Russia's team had no D (much like the Caps) and Canada's team was far and away the best in the tournament. In fact, I can't believe they played as poorly as they did.

There will never be an opportunity to compare Sid and Alex apples to apples. Sid's got the luck of landing on better teams, most specifically with superior defenses. He's a fine player, just boring to watch. Love him or hate him, Ovie lights up the ice when he's on it. Among the leader in goals, assists and hits, I mean come on. As this tournament shows, Crosby can easily be outshined by many players in the NHL.

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Datsyuk and Fedorov claimed Ovechkin is the best player in the world, does that mean we should believe them? It's all opinion, a lot of people have different opinions.

Crosby's barely a top 3 player in the NHL, not even the best player on his own team IMO.
You're kidding right? Have you not watched any Pens games this year or checked the stats? I'm guessing you haven't.

If you're implying malkin is a top 3 player this year, you're sadly mistaken.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Washington was a higher seed than Pittsburgh last year, and Russia was as much of a favorite this year as Canada.
You and me both know that you're reaching here. Canada was better in every way than Russia on paper except the first line (and even that's arguable). Additionally, even though Washington was a higher seed, it was obvious that the Penguins were a better team.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
I was looking for Ovie's reporter incident and this thread came up, wtf.

He didn't even make the medals. That's because this is a team sport. Russia's team had no D (much like the Caps) and Canada's team was far and away the best in the tournament. In fact, I can't believe they played as poorly as they did.

There will never be an opportunity to compare Sid and Alex apples to apples. Sid's got the luck of landing on better teams, most specifically with superior defenses. He's a fine player, just boring to watch. Love him or hate him, Ovie lights up the ice when he's on it. Among the leader in goals, assists and hits, I mean come on. As this tournament shows, Crosby can easily be outshined by many players in the NHL.
Doesn't show that for Ovie though, eh?

Old
03-01-2010, 12:11 AM
NewFang

Quote:
“Iggy!”

It was a scream Jarome Iginla had many times in his career heard. But never this loudly. Or with so much urgency.

Like a blind man, the scream told Iginla where Sidney Crosby was on the ice. It told him where to pass the puck. And it told him how little time he had before the play went sour.

“There’s different pitches of yelling,” said Iginla. “He was yelling. He was yelling pretty urgently. I knew he had a step [on defenceman Brian Rafalski]. So I was hoping I hadn’t delayed in getting it to him.”

Moments after Iginla heard the scream, he heard the roar. And though he did not see Crosby beat goaltender Ryan Miller with a wrist shot at 7:40 in overtime, the sold-out crowd told him that Canada had just defeated the U.S. 3-2 to win the gold medal.

“I fell down so I didn’t see it,” said Iginla. “I couldn’t believe it. It was done. I didn’t see where he put it or whatever, I just saw him jump around. It was awesome.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...432/story.html

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Palooka*

Quote:

You're name is LeafsAlive2010... I'll leave that one alone as it's already self explanatory.

I won't even bother to debate your Crosby comments because you clearly come across as someone who is either a. 12 years old, b. not the least bit knowledgeable about hockey, or c. both a and b. Like has already been said, Crosby's resume at the age off 22 already speaks for itself. All he does is WIN, and all the haters do is keep hating. It's become pathetic.

Palooka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
You and me both know that both of those statements are utter ********.
The NHL standings from last year were utter ********? Better ship an email to Uncle Gary.

And about Russia, hey, check the threads here from before the tourney. The search function's your friend.

Old
NewFang

It's funny, with how "bad" Sid was playing, he still got to play against the oppositions top defensive lines. Won't these coaches ever wake up and learn that Sid is overrated??

Old
capitalsfan

ask Jagr

Old
03-01-2010, 12:13 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Fun Fact: Only one player in the tournament had more goals that Croz.
Elimination tournament, not all teams play the same amount of games.

kinggelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
You and me both know that you're reaching here. Canada was better in every way than Russia on paper except the first line (and even that's arguable).
Actually, most gave Russia a distinct advantage in both of their scoring lines.

Quote:
Additionally, even though Washington was a higher seed, it was obvious that the Penguins were a better team.
That wasn't "obvious" until it was over and the losers began searching for excuses.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:16 AM
sawtooth420

Quote:

Okay, I think everyone in the HF world understands you hate everything Penguins. Your points are duly noted. You may retire from trolling now.

sawtooth420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
SidTheKid8787

Some people in this thread are basing their statements on watching Sid in this tournament.(never seeing the Pens play) Sid didn't have the best olympics. His game wasn't at that next level that i, and other, fans are used to seeing. So don't go judging whose top 3 in the NHL based on what you witnessed in this one olympic tournament.

We can start saying Demitra > Ovechkin and Halak > * if you want to start down that road.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
The NHL standings from last year were utter ********? Better ship an email to Uncle Gary.

And about Russia, hey, check the threads here from before the tourney. The search function's your friend.
Read the edited post which clears up what I meant to say. You're using the standings to attempt to argue that the Capitals were a better team, when it was pretty obvious that the Pens had better defense, goaltending and defensive forwards.

Team Russia had Dimitri Kalinin on its blueline.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:21 AM
NewFang

Quote:

Doesn't matter. Maybe people were claiming they will the favorites to take gold. And not just the homers on here.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Read the edited post which clears up what I meant to say. You're using the standings to attempt to argue that the Capitals were a better team, when it was pretty obvious that the Pens had better defense, goaltending and defensive forwards.
The Caps have a much deeper and more talented offense, and they lived and died by it. We had Fedotenko and Talbot as top 6 wings.

If Ovie doesn't like losing, he can feel free to round out his game like Crosby has so his team has another responsible forward.

Quote:
They also had several better regarded scoring forwards, including 2 of the top 3 in the world.

It's funny, but your opinions are rarely the ones people hold going into the games.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
- 7 points (tied for 6th in the tournament)
- 4 goals (tied for 2nd in the tournament)
- 59.32% faceoffs (10th in tournament)
- Scored game winning goal in OT in gold medal game

If that "wasn't a top 20 player in the tournament", then I'd love to see your list, and what they produced during this tournament.
Prime example how people use skewed stats to prove their arguement. Either knowingly or unknowingly.

This was an elimination tournament, not all teams played the same amount of games. Every single one of those stats you mentioned all top 5 players played the most possible amount of games. The game winning goal was no more important than the game opening goal.

kinggelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:24 AM
capitalsfan

NBC was the only group touting how good Russia was. Needed it to hype that huge letdown of a game.

I mean just look at the rosters, Canada was like the damn Globetrotters when compared to the rest of the field. I admit it was fun to see the U.S. step up though.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Doesn't matter. Maybe people were claiming they will the favorites to take gold. And not just the homers on here.
Really? That kinda surprises me because I thought their defense was comparatively awful from day 1. Canada was definitely the most complete team going into the tournament, and I'm definitely not just "scrambling for excuses."

Crosby's a great player, no doubt, but this wasn't his best performance.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Palooka*

Quote:
Actually, most gave Russia a distinct advantage in both of their scoring lines.

That wasn't "obvious" until it was over and the losers began searching for excuses.
Well said.

It's cool how the Sid haters can say he's blessed by playing on the "better" teams after his team beats theirs. It's their full-proof way of discrediting anything he does while defending their player(s) for not showing up. i.e. Pens-Caps game seven last year, the World Juniors, and now the Olympics.

Palooka* is offline   Reply With Quote