HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
MattBradleyKO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Have you ever considered that teams Crosby's played on have won because they've been blessed to have him? Penguins don't make it past Washington if SId isn;t there, and he was the favorite for the Conn Smythe until the Carolina series when Malkin lit it up (a series which the pens would have won with or without Malkin).

And Crosby had more than 1 point in the last 4 games. Better check your facts if you want any credibility.

And yes, one overtime, gold medal winning goal DOES change a lot. Sorry.
They dont win the Cup without Malkin, and Canada was an absolutely stacked team. Crosby had 1 point in 3 elimination games (against Germany) and it wasnt an important goal at all. Make the argument that Crosby is a great player, but don't fall into the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, which has become the standard for you guys.

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:27 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

If Ovie doesn't like losing, he can feel free to round out his game like Crosby has so his team has another responsible forward.

He's among the leaders in goals, assists, points, not to mention checks and a dozen other categories -- seems pretty round. Just missing a defense and a goaltender, which Crosby has always enjoyed.

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:28 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
I'd say revisionist history is claiming Crosby somehow had a bad Olympics. He played his ass off in all phases of the game and scored the Gold Medal winning goal. Nobody is saying he was the MVP of the tournament or that Canada would have fallen apart without him. But he played great at both ends of the ice, and despite not coming up on the score sheet as much as expected, he made it happen when it counted most. Obviously he had a great team around him, he played on a stacked roster as did most of the players in this tournament. He was very much a team player and was rewarded for it. Would you be more impressed if he hung out at the blue line the whole time and potted a few more goals? The reason Canada was so successful is because everyone put their egos in check and played smart, sound hockey for the most part and Crosby was no different.

And to the guy who said Crosby isn't exciting...just wow. If it's highlight goals you are looking for, look no further then youtube , he's got plenty. If you don't find his speed, stick handling, creativity and physicality exciting then you might not have a pulse.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:28 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
Elimination tournament, not all teams play the same amount of games.
So it's obviously Sid's fault that he happened to be on a winning team, right?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:29 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Babcock can tell you why. He can also tell you why Crosby was still instrumental in Pittsburgh winning.
LOL. "Babcock can tell you why Crosby didn't do a damn thing in the finals".

Quote:
2 points, champ. And if you think he's been bad, there's no shortage of professional broadcasters and hockey legends of different nationalities who'll say different.
Oh sorry brother, I meant 2 WHOLE POINTS!

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:30 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
He's among the leaders in goals, assists, points, not to mention checks and a dozen other categories -- seems pretty round. Just missing a defense and a goaltender, which Crosby has always enjoyed.
Oh yes, because both our defense and goaltending have been absolutely LIGHTS OUT for us this season, with our 22nd ranked goals against and ZERO shutouts and all...

Old
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
It's times like this that it's best to keep one's fingers off the keyboard, sit back, read and be entertained by the unintended humor.
I'm starting to think you were bang on the money with this post

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post

And to the guy who said Crosby isn't exciting...just wow. If it's highlight goals you are looking for, look no further then youtube , he's got plenty. If you don't find his speed, stick handling, creativity and physicality exciting then you might not have a pulse.
I admit I don't watch every Pens game, and he's had a few marvelous goals that I've dug up on YouTube. But most are just him sitting in front tapping in a rebound. Not to mention he has the physical game of my grandmother

Old
03-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Hopefully Ovie has the same perspective, so he can keep losing and you can keep making excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
They dont win the Cup without Malkin, and Canada was an absolutely stacked team. Crosby had 1 point in 3 elimination games (against Germany) and it wasnt an important goal at all. Make the argument that Crosby is a great player, but don't fall into the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, which has become the standard for you guys.
And Larionov, don't forget that guy. Always so biased towards Canadians and Pens players. Embarrassing, really.

Not to mention Iggy:

Quote:
"It's so fitting," said Jarome Iginla, the gentleman elder statesman of Team Canada who set up Crosby's winner. "It's funny. There's so much pressure on him. I mean, we win a semifinal game and we're into the finals and all people are asking is: 'But what about Sid? What about Sid?'

"You know, he's playing well. He's playing hard. He's getting lots of chances. They're always trying to shut him down. That's the first guy they think about. And he just keeps going. He just keeps playing hard. He just keeps battling.

"He had a great tournament and people aren't satisfied unless he gets two or three goals a game. And it never fazes him. It's all about the team and he just goes about his way. It is awesome to see him finish it."
And Getzlaf:

Quote:
"That's Sid for you," said Getzlaf. "There's a reason he's the best player in the world. He always shows up in those big moments and scores those big goals."
But those guys have always been huge homers too. Completely unreliable.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:33 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:
I admit I don't watch every Pens game, and he's had a few marvelous goals that I've dug up on YouTube. But most are just him sitting in front tapping in a rebound. Not to mention he has the physical game of my grandmother
Physical game of your grandmother? He doesn't hit often, but he is no sissy... Just look at him dominate in the corners, you'll see what a good "physical" game is. Spectacular hits taking YOU out of the play are fun to watch but they are not what physical play is about.

Last edited by JordanStaal#1Fan: 03-01-2010 at 12:42 AM.
JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:34 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

what, a crosby thread with the usual suspects complaining? does this mean the olympics are over and things are almost back to normal?!

you really hope some of these people are just trolling and aren't out there operating heavy machinery in real life

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Lim Ran

Quote:
goals, assists, points, not to mention checks
This is great. I love when people call Ovechkin a complete player. It always goes something like this:

"DUDE, HE SHOOTS, SCORES, PUTS UP POINTS, SHOOTS, HE'S QUICK, AND HE SCORES AND SHOOTS AND HE HITS - COMPLETE PLAYER!!!!"

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Trottier
Very Random

So far in this thread one has learned that Sidney Crosby is "boring to watch" and a lucky passenger on great teams.

Good comedy. Keep them coming.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:

You're honestly only making yourself look like a bigger arse the more you try to argue. You came here with the obvious intention to troll and bash on another Crosby thread as you usually do, yet you've failed miserably at it. The kid did his job, and in the end he's going home with some hardware for his efforts.

No one here is claiming he was far and away the best player in the tournament, or even one of the best players in the tournament, but in the end he got the job done when we needed him to the most. Your entire argument that he was somehow a "non-factor" of sorts is completely idiotic when you're talking about a player that scored 2 GWG's, and had 7 pts in 7 games.

He was clutch, and he worked his ass off in every single game like we needed him to, which is more than we can say for the Olympic "heroes" from your beloved Caps.

Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaroth View Post
This is great. I love when people call Ovechkin a complete player. It always goes something like this:

"DUDE, HE SHOOTS, SCORES, PUTS UP POINTS, SHOOTS, HE'S QUICK, AND HE SCORES AND HE HITS - COMPLETE PLAYER!!!!"
He's shown he's pretty good at losing big games as well. Too bad they don't give awards for that.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Golden Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Jet View Post
Watch out for Crosby tomorrow folks. He's a great player and I think he will be the difference if the game is close.

Golden Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Hopefully Ovie has the same perspective, so he can keep losing and you can keep making excuses.

You're one of those guys, I see. Sid's got all the team accolades so far that Ovie doesn't. Pretty much an argument stopper. Doesn't mean Sid's as good as the hype. He's been on better teams, haven't heard anyone credibly deny that. After all it is a team sport. Ovie leads the stats and individual honers. So, by your logic, you admit Ovie's the better individual player.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Palooka*

Quote:
The teams that win come crunch take their cues from their best players. Sid plays hard in all 3 ZONES, Ovie, mostly in one, sometimes 2, and NEVER three. The Pens D wasn't so much better than the Caps, they just played a better team concept. The Caps idea of defense is run and gun possession offense to appease their forwards like Ovie and Semin who show ZERO interest in backchecking. EVER. That works great in the regular season, not so much in the playoffs. As for the goalies, everybody says Fleury is average and "lucky" to play behind a great Pens team, so I suppose Varly is at least as good as he is, if not better.

I'll bet that if Super Ovie ever decides to play all three zones come playoff time, the rest of the forwards will follow. Mario and Wayne and Yzerman found playoff success like that, and that's the only way Ovie will too.

Palooka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Your grandmother must be one powerful woman! Physicality does not equal hitting. The reason he gets those tap ins is because he forces his way to the front of the net. When you have 6+ ft, 200 something pound defenders trying to knock you on your ass and you're still able to hold onto the puck and take it to the front of the net, I'd say you play a pretty physical brand of hockey. It's been said before, but if Crosby didn't have the offensive skillset that he has, he'd still be making healthy living in the NHL based on his play along the boards and in front of the net. He doesn't get those goals by accident, he earns them. They aren't always as pretty but they all count the same. You have to realize, not everyone was blessed with a super sonic, lazer rocket shot like your boy AO

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:

And Larionov, don't forget that guy. Always so biased towards Canadians and Pens players. Embarrassing, really.

Not to mention Iggy:

And Getzlaf:

But those guys have always been huge homers too. Completely unreliable.
But you do have to remember, his peers don't respect him. It's as if you haven't been reading HFBoards much

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I think what we need to acknowledge here is that 20 years from now, when this goal gets shown during Sid's Hall of Fame induction, is that no one will remember Ryan Getzlaf had a great game, and that Sid played just okay.

Is that fair? Probably not, but that is sports. It comes down to winning, and Crosby delivered the winning goal. Getzlaf could have, but didn't. It was Crosby.

Special players make special contributions. I don't know why it works out that way, it just does. Instead of worrying about how good or how average he was for some of the tournament, acknowledge that he scored arguably the biggest goal for Canadian hockey in almost 25 years. Maybe more.

That's a pretty awesome accomplishment, considering Canadian hockey has more than its share of heroes.
Jesus Christ almighty! Is it such a crime to give the kid some credit for scoring a huge game winning goal without the usual god damn trolls roaming around trying to piss all over it??????

No one here is neglecting the great play of Getzlaf or Perry or Heatley or whoever the **** else was out there! Anyone with half a brain knows that this medal was one based on a TEAM effort! We're just giving props to a 22 year old that came up big when we needed him to the most and scored what will always be remembered as a historical goal for not only Canadian hockey, but Canadian SPORTS in general! God forbid!

Old
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Physical game of your grandmother? He doesn't hit often, but he is no sissy... Just look at him dominate in the corners, you'll see what a good "physical" game is. Spectacular hits taking YOU out of the play are fun to watch but they are not was physical play is about.
This is why hockey's a tier 2 sport. Too much focus on sensibility, not enough on the "fun to watch" factor. If Sid didn't have Ovie to compete with, hockey would not be making the strides it is. Best play of the Olympics was the Jagr hit . But keep hyping your strategic play and winning's all that matters attitude -- and continue to enjoy the sport on the frickin' Versus network.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
No, he could tell you why Crosby was instrumental in Pittsburgh winning despite not putting up numbers on account of being the focus of their entire defensive strategy.

So could Yzerman:

Quote:
“He’s 22 years old now and watching him play against us twice in the Stanley Cup finals, his game has evolved every year,” says Yzerman, an executive with the Detroit Red Wings and Team Canada’s executive director here.

“He’s a complete player, much like Michael Jordan in basketball. Every year they’d try to find something wrong with his game but he just got better and better. Not that anyone has ever criticized Sidney’s game but you’ve watched every part of his game improve.

“And we’ve seen it first hand in the playoffs, he’s really winning faceoffs and now he just scored his 40th goal. He’s a complete player, he does everything well. And he’s really, really driven, he’s really, really motivated. The coach can use him in any situation, he can play any kind of hockey.

“From playing against him we have a great understanding of his strengths. I would say of his weaknesses: he has no weaknesses.

“He’s one of our leaders on the ice, off the ice, he’s a presence, he’s the face of Canadian hockey.”
But that guy probably doesn't know as much as you either.

Quote:
Believe it or not, 2 points in 4 games during your least productive stretch in a best-on-best isn't terrible, especially when you're contributing in other ways

But again, you probably know more than all-star players and legends of the sport.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
kinggelato

Why do people need to seek validation from people on a message board on how good he is. You really don't see that for any other player. Its kind of strange.

kinggelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Your grandmother could splay out Volchenkov in the corners?

Tough old battleaxe.