HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
03-01-2010, 12:43 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Crosby played good. But he wasn't even a consideration for Canadian MVP, lets put it that way. He faced the top D from the opponents every time, and still put up a PPG. He had a hero moment, and stole the spotlight from other Canadians who did a lot more.
So basically had it been any other player that scored the game winner we'd be making the same argument that he "stole the spotlight" as well?

Had it been someone like Marleau or Staal (both guys that were relatively "average" in this tournament by their standards) everyone here would be just as upset, and accuse them of spotlight theft as well? Or are we just up in arms because it happened to be Cindy Crysby that did it? Why can't people just appreciate the fact that he scored the goal to get us the freaking gold medal and let that be the end of it????

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:43 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

no offense, but considering neither the russians or czechs did much, i don't think that ov~jagr hit is gonna last as long as you think.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:44 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
a historical goal for not only Canadian hockey, but Canadian SPORTS in general! God forbid!
Other sports? ( just kidding, but you left it open )

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:44 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
True. But that says more about the expectations his talent has brought than anything.

In a 22 year old's first Olympics, he's the focal point of every opponent's defensive game plan, gives a consistent effort, plays a well-rounded game, finishes one point behind Team Canada's leading scorer, pots 2 game-winners including the gold medal winner in OT, and it's considered a mediocre tourney.

Maybe a little out of whack, all things considered.
Not so much out of whack as irrelevant. It doesn't make any difference what kind of tournament he had--he hit a gigantic home run when the home run had to be hit. What kind of Series did Joe Carter have before he hit that one out against the Phillies? Who remembers? Who cares? The point is Crosby met the high expectations his talent places upon him. When it counted, it delivered magnificently. Case closed.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

I thought Sid was invisible for much of the tournament and for 90% of the game tonight..but at the end of the day he'll be put on a coin 50 years from now fro that goal. Good on him.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
You're one of those guys, I see. Sid's got all the team accolades so far that Ovie doesn't. Pretty much an argument stopper. Doesn't mean Sid's as good as the hype. He's been on better teams, haven't heard anyone credibly deny that. After all it is a team sport. Ovie leads the stats and individual honers. So, by your logic, you admit Ovie's the better individual player.
He's certainly been the more productive player over the past couple years.

But hey, his own center thinks Crosby's a better player. Who am I to argue?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:46 AM
endora2

For as much as Crosby is hyped by the hockey media....he was nowhere near the level of the "superstar"....this medium always tries to make him out to be. He showed great bursts of speed, throughout the tourny......but wasn't responsible for many goals being scored be Canada.

endora2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MattBradleyKO

Champagne- how old are you? Indulge me please, as I am curious.

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
My question to you, is if he doesnt play on Team Canada does he have these? I mean he plays for the one country in the world that considers hockey its number one sport. Most countries even competing in these tournaments don't consider hockey to even be one of their top 3 sports.
Did you actually think about this before you decide to type it and hit the "submit reply" tab? Just asking.

Old
bishop12
Ovyously

People love comparing Ovy to Sid like this...Both are amazing and call it a day.

Hockey's a team game and Team Canada is twice the team, as we saw, then Russia. Sid didn't need to be on the team and they'da beat Russia....so what does that mean then? That Nash, Iginla...etc are all better than Ovechkin?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
ComrieFanatic

Wow, I love how people jump on the guy just because he didn't get a point in a few games. The guy was still playing hard and contributing. He just scored one of the biggest goals in Canadian history - doubt people will remember how he played two games ago.

People always find reasons to hate the best. Crosby is 22 and has already won a Cup, a gold medal and an MVP. Sure, Malkin won the playoff MVP, but you're only kidding yourself if you think Malkin would have been as effective had he faced Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Rafalski every shift (not to mention every other teams top defensive unit), like Crosby did.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
This is why hockey's a tier 2 sport. Too much focus on sensibility, not enough on the "fun to watch" factor. If Sid didn't have Ovie to compete with, hockey would not be making the strides it is. Best play of the Olympics was the Jagr hit . But keep hyping your strategic play and winning's all that matters attitude -- and continue to enjoy the sport on the frickin' Versus network.
You, Semin, and Ovie can relish the X-fans drooling over 10 second Youtube clips, and others will enjoy Crosby's dedication to doing the little things to win, and their consequences - like winning.

We're all happy!

Old
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Seriously, do Washington fans have nothing better to do with their time? It's incredible the percentage of the "haters" in this thread that cheer for the Caps. What am I missing?

If Ovechkin scored the winning goal in the gold medal game, despite having a good, but not spectacular tournament, I wouldn't spend page after page trying to diminish the accomplishment.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Palooka*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
Why do people need to seek validation from people on a message board on how good he is. You really don't see that for any other player. Its kind of strange.
Actually, you see it for basically every other player in any sport on any message board, Mr. Ice Cream King.

Palooka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endora2 View Post
For as much as Crosby is hyped by the hockey media....he was nowhere near the level of the "superstar"....this medium always tries to make him out to be. He showed great bursts of speed, throughout the tourny......but wasn't responsible for many goals being scored be Canada.
That's because Canada has something called DEPTH, which why we're the current gold medalists. Had we come into this tournament relying entirely on 1 player to perform, then that likely wouldn't have been the case now would it?

Old
03-01-2010, 12:48 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Jesus Christ almighty! Is it such a crime to give the kid some credit for scoring a huge game winning goal without the usual god damn trolls roaming around trying to piss all over it??????

No one here is neglecting the great play of Getzlaf or Perry or Heatley or whoever the **** else was out there! Anyone with half a brain knows that this medal was one based on a TEAM effort! We're just giving props to a 22 year old that came up big when we needed him to the most and scored what will always be remembered as a historical goal for not only Canadian hockey, but Canadian SPORTS in general! God forbid!
Bro, you need to go and re-read my post. I am the biggest Crosby fan in the world, and I was throwing praise on him.

LOL. In all my years of posting on different message boards, that's the first time I have ever been called a Crosby troll. I've been called a Crosby fanboy about 10 000 times. I've been told I am his lover, I have posters of him above my bed, etc.... but never been called a hater, that's for sure.

Wow, you relly missed the point of my post completely.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
He's among the leaders in goals, assists, points, not to mention checks and a dozen other categories -- seems pretty round. Just missing a defense and a goaltender, which Crosby has always enjoyed.

what a bunch of bull spit that is.

all year long we heard some argue that the caps were where they were cause of their weak division and all we heard was "but but, look at their record vs. the east"
and how the caps were so stacked

varlamonov stood on his head the 1st 3 games and outplayed fluery

maybe our team defense was better because our star player plays defense just as hard as he plays offense, something the caps star player will never be accused of.

just look at 2 of the goals in the 1st period vs canada

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
Champagne- how old are you? Indulge me please, as I am curious.
Old enough to drink, still young enough to enjoy batting around your silly ideas.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:50 AM
in on the beat

Crosbys the man, I'll remember that moment til the day I drop dead.

Thanks Crosby!

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:51 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Seriously, do Washington fans have nothing better to do with their time? It's incredible the percentage of the "haters" in this thread that cheer for the Caps. What am I missing?

If Ovechkin scored the winning goal in the gold medal game, despite having a good, but not spectacular tournament, I wouldn't spend page after page trying to diminish the accomplishment.
now now, be fair its just the usual suspects. there are some nice caps fans around here

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:51 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive2010 View Post
Datsyuk and Fedorov claimed Ovechkin is the best player in the world, does that mean we should believe them? It's all opinion, a lot of people have different opinions.

Crosby's barely a top 3 player in the NHL, not even the best player on his own team IMO.
Well I'm convinced. I'd honestly rank Kessel well above him at this point.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
JamieG

The people quoting Iginla and co. about Crosby? Come on.

Hmm, it is so very rare for teammates to compliment and defend each other's play...wait, not it's not.

I'm amazed that people can keep writing things like Crosby was rock solid defensively and believe it. He wasn't and he wasn't very effective offensively. What surprised me is that he wasn't as tenacious as I've seen him in the past.

If you're a Crosby fan, say he scores big goals at big times and that kind of stuff. Hang your hat on that. Don't try to pretend like he had an excellent tournament because of one shot.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Wow, I love how people jump on the guy just because he didn't get a point in a few games. The guy was still playing hard and contributing.
As was Thornton defensively. So when Thornton doesn't get points, he doesn't deserve his medal, but when Crosby doesn't get points, it's all okay? This isn't directed at you by the way, just using your quote to argue against others.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is why hockey's a tier 2 sport. Too much focus on sensibility, not enough on the "fun to watch" factor. If Sid didn't have Ovie to compete with, hockey would not be making the strides it is. Best play of the Olympics was the Jagr hit . But keep hyping your strategic play and winning's all that matters attitude -- and continue to enjoy the sport on the frickin' Versus network.
Fine by me. I don't care if hockey is popular or not. I like the sport. I love the strategic aspect of it and I can appreciate a good defensive system. If all you care about is mindless entertainement, stick with Ovechkin and the Capitals, you'll have plenty of fun.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90rock View Post
Not only did I laugh, I ed because I thought it was such a garbage goal by such a garbage player. Crosby's reputation has been needlessly inflated again, and when push comes to shove, he can't do anything.
When push comes to shove, Matt Bradley swoops in to save Ovechkin.

Edit:Come on, it was too easy to pass up.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote