HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-27-2010, 12:51 AM
JamieG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
You know what would be nice?

If we treated Crosby like a Canadian player instead of the sole player on Canada and stopped being so freaking curious about micromanaging every little thing he does.
I think that's pretty silly. Brendan Morrow isn't exactly regarded as the best player out of Canada in the last 20 years, isn't in Hart trophy contention every year, doesn't have comparisons to the all time greats and isn't hyped constantly -- to expect that Crosby should have the same expectations on him as Brendan Morrow is just ridiculous.

Quote:
He hasn't been the best Canadian, but he has been generating chances and doing a damned good job out there. No reason he should have been left off the 2006 team.
I find that to be illogical. As someone else pointed out, people were pointing to him being 22 as a reason why he hasn't stood out...how does that justify him being a good fit at 18? Even if you felt he was dominating out there right now, that still has nothing to do with how he would have performed 4 years earlier. If anything, I'd use his performance in Vancouver as confirmation that they did the right thing in 2006. As a player he is obviously better than he was 4 years ago -- and at the Olympics now he's not emerging as one of the best.

The guy is probably the best player in the league. This is the biggest stage he's played on. The all time greats make their marks during international tournaments vs the best players. IMO, Crosby is not delivering. It's a little tiresome to see the excuses - he's awesome he's just not putting up the stats, he's great defensively (uh, no he's not), it's the coaches fault for changing linemates, it's his linemates fault......people he's perhaps the best player in the game, he should be able to be more of a factor than he's showing.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
JamieG

Quote:
That's okay he will just keep being the most underrated defensive player on the planet.
It's unfathomable to me that this sentence could be written after watching the game tonight.

I agree with the "he is lazy defensively" observation. Not all poor decisions defensively result in goals against. I recall Crosby pinching tonight in the 3rd, when the defenseman was already down low, horrible decision. Fortunately for Canada, the last man back swiped the puck away and nothing came of it. Later he was in his own end and carelessly chipped the puck around the boards to no one except a Slovak. It went into the slot, but was batted away. And of course the one handed swat at the puck that was the only poor decision he made that caught the attention of the announcers.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:12 AM
glue

absolutely agreed..he's looked avg. at best in the last 2 games (for his standards anyway)....there have a bunch of players who have been better or stepped it up more..

glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

He's been average, not bad but I have seen him really step it up for the Pens and dominate a game so I'd like to see something like that for Canada too. He really has not stood out and played like I expected. I hope he can be better on Sunday.

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:41 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Crosby is playing well, but Iginla and Nash haven't looked like they have a lot of chemistry with him.

I would try putting Toews with Crosby and Staal and see if there's any chemistry. I think Toews would be a better fit than Nash and Iginla.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Kesler17

He's fine.

He has been doing everything right except getting on the scoresheet. Against Russia he dominated play along the boards, worked hard defensively and generated chances which Iginla and Staal couldn't capitalize on. Tonight was more of the same, and aside from one give away (which wasn't 100% his fault) he played well.

People need to stop overanalyzing everything he does, if you've been watching the tournament, you should know that he HASN'T been lazy defensively, he's always where the puck is, or where its going to be.

He'll get on the scoresheet more then once on Sunday, then MAYBE some of you will cut him some slack.

Kesler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:47 AM
clefty
What?

He's been okay, he's doing a lot of little things. I've seen him play better, but it is surely much harder to heavily stand out on a team full of stars in a short tournament, often while playing against another team full of stars.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Noir

He's doing fine. Maybe you're not noticing him as much is because of Canada's offensive depth. Or maybe unlike Russia, Canada team was not built to be a 1 man show; Or at least 1 man leading the way.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

I thought he played pretty well every game until Germany, when he was underwhelming, then good again versus Russia, then off again tonight.

His biggest problem is that since he has better linemates now, he's deferring to them all the time, thus completely changing what's made him so effective in Pittsburgh. He's still the best player on his line by a fair margin - he can trust Staal and Iggy, but their offense still has to run through him to be successful, and he still needs to shoot (forehand, Sid) when he has a lane.

He hasn't been poor at these games by any stretch...he's actually been one of the better Canadian forwards throughout the Olympics. But he hasn't been close to Sidney Crosby good, and Team Canada could sure use that on Sunday. He needs to take the bull by the horns out there.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:52 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

USA definitely has the momentum going into the gold medal game.

Crosby has been mediocre the last 2 games. He's arguably the best player in the world, and I expect a huge game from him.

It's that expectation that has me thinking Canada will take the gold. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
He's setting up guys and playing defense. He's fine. I do think he should shoot a little more.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Big Phil

Crosby has been fine, right among the top scoring Canadians. 6 points in 6 games can be improved, but he's done a lot of good things. He's made some good plays, some good passes. Kind of reminds me of Joe Sakic in 2002. He was good up until the gold medal game and then exploded for 4 points to collect the MVP. It will be interesting to see if Crosby does likewise. Playing against USA will be exactly his type of game and he played well in the round robin against them. To date, he has been good but he can take it up a notch like we have all seen him do before. Let's watch

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:05 AM
TheSilencer

As long as we're winning, i couldn't care less if sidney crosby is -23 or something.. or if bergeron is playing 1 minute a game

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:05 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
I think that's pretty silly. Brendan Morrow isn't exactly regarded as the best player out of Canada in the last 20 years, isn't in Hart trophy contention every year, doesn't have comparisons to the all time greats and isn't hyped constantly -- to expect that Crosby should have the same expectations on him as Brendan Morrow is just ridiculous.
I didn't say same, I said "not as if he is the only player on Canada's roster." Too much attention is paid to the guy (whether he does well or makes mistakes) and takes away from the entire team concept that Babcock has been employing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
I find that to be illogical. As someone else pointed out, people were pointing to him being 22 as a reason why he hasn't stood out...how does that justify him being a good fit at 18? Even if you felt he was dominating out there right now, that still has nothing to do with how he would have performed 4 years earlier. If anything, I'd use his performance in Vancouver as confirmation that they did the right thing in 2006. As a player he is obviously better than he was 4 years ago -- and at the Olympics now he's not emerging as one of the best.

The guy is probably the best player in the league. This is the biggest stage he's played on. The all time greats make their marks during international tournaments vs the best players. IMO, Crosby is not delivering. It's a little tiresome to see the excuses - he's awesome he's just not putting up the stats, he's great defensively (uh, no he's not), it's the coaches fault for changing linemates, it's his linemates fault......people he's perhaps the best player in the game, he should be able to be more of a factor than he's showing.
Considering Crosby was shiftier back during his rookie year, I think he would have done well as an energy player. A young guy with a lot of spirit and tenacity, who can do some very nice moves. He is a different player right now, but different doesn't mean better depending on the role.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Shareefruck

I'm not sure if he's been better than most of his other linemates like he should be, but he certainly isn't hurting us.

Sometimes trying to do too much himself though.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

He's been average at best for Crosby standards, but I don't think it's fair at all to say he's been invisible. He's frequently set players up and generated decent scoring opportunities. If a couple of those go in and he has a few more assists I'm sure nobody says anything, but points are the name of the game and he hasn't had any in the two biggest games of the tournament so far so people are concerned. They shouldn't be - it's Sidney Crosby.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Golden Jet

Watch out for Crosby tomorrow folks. He's a great player and I think he will be the difference if the game is close. Le'ts chill out on the expectations. He's just one of many stars on this team that are adjusting to different roles and reduced ice time. I just watched the game from my pvr and thought his game was fine. He did a lot of little things out there that make a difference. Some people can't see that and think you need to put up two points to have a good game.

Golden Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Merla

He's been good. Can't expect him to perform like he does for the Pens. In Pens he's pretty much supposed to do everything offensively, while in Canada there are basically 12 others who can produce. Still, I bet he will get a hattrick in the final tomorrow

Merla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Lario Melieux*

He's 4th on the team in scoring... not bad...

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:59 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Crosby is playing well, but Iginla and Nash haven't looked like they have a lot of chemistry with him.

I would try putting Toews with Crosby and Staal and see if there's any chemistry. I think Toews would be a better fit than Nash and Iginla.
Nash has been playing with Toews the last few games, with Richards on left wing. Iginla and Staal have been Crosby's linemates.

I doubt Babcock would even consider breaking up the Toews line at this point. While together, they've yet to be on the ice for a goal against, and are matched against the opposing top line, all while still producing some offense. If anything, to get him going you'd now have to put Crosby on Toews' wing for a few shifts.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:01 AM
debil

He's doing fine.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Shwag33

I counted 2 sure goals setup by crosby that staal just flat out missed last night. It's almost like watching guerin out there.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Fairenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
I counted 2 sure goals setup by crosby that staal just flat out missed last night. It's almost like watching guerin out there.
Guerin is freaking awful...how many empty he has missed so far this year? Like one every 2 games...Sid pretty much needs to try deflecting it off Guerin and in the net. Only way Billy G will score.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Corsi Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
well, yes, but the fact is, Canada is where they are, with no Heatley, or Getzlaf, or whoever else.. when you have over 20 amazing players in one team, which looks like a pure NHL all-stars team, 10 captains or something, what do you expect?

You should be happy, you have a team like you have !!!
You are absolutely correct about the forwards, replacing any of them with someone else, Stamkos, St. Louis, etc. would make no change in this team. What has seperated the Canadians without a doubt as been their D. Take away Pronger, who I would bet other than a power play will not see the ice tomm, and the Canadian D is carrying them. How many of their goals have been D assisted? From my recollection I would say half.

Absolutely amazing to consider the future of Canadian hockey with guys like Weber, Doughty, Seabrook and Keith.

Corsi Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
Guerin is freaking awful...how many empty he has missed so far this year? Like one every 2 games...Sid pretty much needs to try deflecting it off Guerin and in the net. Only way Billy G will score.

Apparently Eric Staal=Guerin in the olympics. I dont get it I dont think sids passes are THAT much harder than average.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote