HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
03-01-2010, 12:53 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Bro, you need to go and re-read my post. I am the biggest Crosby fan in the world, and I was throwing praise on him.

LOL. In all my years of posting on different message boards, that's the first time I have ever been called a Crosby troll. I've been called a Crosby fanboy about 10 000 times. I've been told I am his lover, I have posters of him above my bed, etc.... but never been called a hater, that's for sure.

Wow, you relly missed the point of my post completely.
It's late and I sometimes tend to fly of the handle, especially when I'm dealing with some rather questionable opinions. Bear with me if I tend to misinterpret your posts

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:53 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Wow, I love how people jump on the guy just because he didn't get a point in a few games. The guy was still playing hard and contributing. He just scored one of the biggest goals in Canadian history - doubt people will remember how he played two games ago.

People always find reasons to hate the best. Crosby is 22 and has already won a Cup, a gold medal and an MVP. Sure, Malkin won the playoff MVP, but you're only kidding yourself if you think Malkin would have been as effective had he faced Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Rafalski every shift (not to mention every other teams top defensive unit), like Crosby did.
I think it's because a lot of folks on here are "Armchair GM's" - so the jealousy factor of someone 10+ years younger than them achieving everything in hockey sort of ticks some folks off.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
You, Semin, and Ovie can relish the X-fans drooling over 10 second Youtube clips, and others will enjoy Crosby's dedication to doing the little things to win, and their consequences - like winning.

We're all happy!
He plays for the frickin Penguins. One of the most acclaimed NHL teams of all time. Ovie's single handedly turning DC into a hockey town. He's dragging his team along for the ride. They didn't even deserve to be in series with Pitt last year with our terrible D and a rookie tender, and he almost stole the damn thing.

Sid's good, but a very tactical player like Gretz. Ovie is what America needs to embrace hockey, for better or worse.

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
The people quoting Iginla and co. about Crosby? Come on.

Hmm, it is so very rare for teammates to compliment and defend each other's play...wait, not it's not.

I'm amazed that people can keep writing things like Crosby was rock solid defensively and believe it. He wasn't and he wasn't very effective offensively. What surprised me is that he wasn't as tenacious as I've seen him in the past.

If you're a Crosby fan, say he scores big goals at big times and that kind of stuff. Hang your hat on that. Don't try to pretend like he had an excellent tournament because of one shot.
How about Russian legends who have no connection to Canada or the Penguins whatsoever?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
NeilYoung

I'm not going to get involved in this arguement because frankly it's a waste of time but the arguments from both sides (pens and caps fans)
is pathetic
To Sum it up
Caps Fans: Crosbys the worst player in the world
Pens Fans: Ovechkins to old to win anything, everyone on your knees for Sid

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:56 AM
kihei

vCash: 165
Could the Penguin and Capital fans just open up a bottle of wine or something and shut the **** up?

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
He plays for the frickin Penguins. One of the most acclaimed NHL teams of all time. Ovie's single handedly turning DC into a hockey town. He's dragging his team along for the ride. They didn't even deserve to be in series with Pitt last year with our terrible D and a rookie tender, and he almost stole the damn thing.

Sid's good, but a very tactical player like Gretz. Ovie is what America needs to embrace hockey, for better or worse.
I don't think you even know what you're trying to get across at this point. I sure as hell don't.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:57 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:

At first, I laughed. After I realized how right you were, sadly. Americans seem to like those kind of clowns. TO is on SportsCenter on a daily basis, after all.

About the series last year, you are wrong on so many levels. Your rookie goaltender is the main reason why you won the first two games. Without him, it could easily have been a sweep. Don't use him as an excuse, because, outside of Ovechkin, he was your best player.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:58 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
Why do people need to seek validation from people on a message board on how good he is. You really don't see that for any other player. Its kind of strange.
No you never see that in threads involving Luongo, Staal, Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc, etc, etc....

never...

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Could the Penguin and Capital fans just open up a bottle of wine or something and shut the **** up?
We'd just fight over red vs. white.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:01 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
I don't think you even know what you're trying to get across at this point. I sure as hell don't.
Yeah sorry, got off topic. It's just that the bigger this kid gets the further the sport gets from mainstream. Him not getting a lucky wrister at the end would have let all the other great canadian players squeeze into the spotlight and maybe expand the sport in the U.S.

Sid's mild demeanor and boring play just isn't going to do it.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:02 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

This post makes so little sense, responding to it would require a slide rule or a periodic table of the elements or something.

The Pens - one of the most "acclaimed" NHL teams of all time. Sid and Gretz are "tactical". If I knew what any of this meant, I would be impressed, I think. Maybe I'd be angry. Not sure.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:03 AM
kihei

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
We'd just fight over red vs. white.
Point taken.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Yeah sorry, got off topic. It's just that the bigger this kid gets the further the sport gets from mainstream. Him not getting a lucky wrister at the end would have let all the other great canadian players squeeze into the spotlight and maybe expand the sport in the U.S.

Contrary to popular belief, expanding the game in the US isn't everyone's endgame.

If they need Liberace to get them to appreciate the game, it's their loss, and none of my concern.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:04 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
outside of Ovechkin, he was your best player.
He got lucky for one game. The other games the caps had anyways. And he totally folded in Game 7, but I can't give him too hard a time as it was I think his 14th NHL game .

I think the moral of your comment was that no other player on the Caps stepped up last year, so thanks for validating the point

Old
03-01-2010, 01:04 AM
High Flying Birds

If I had my way, you Crosby haters should be banned from posting on the internet completely. Good God, some of this stuff I've read in this topic has been retarded. If Sid found a cure for cancer in the upcoming offseason, haters would complain about why he couldn't do it earlier in life. Seriously, you bitter lot need to get a grip and find something else to do besides rip on a 22 year old who's proved himself on every level.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:07 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
I'm not going to get involved in this arguement because frankly it's a waste of time but the arguments from both sides (pens and caps fans)
is pathetic
To Sum it up
This is all wrong.
Caps fans: Ovechkin>Crosby
Pens fans: Crosby> Ovechkin
Me: Well Crosby is a great hockey player but he's not better than Ovechkin.
Them: You are mad sir. Crosby is obviously the better player. Consider how he has a Stanley Cup and an Olympic Gold.
Me: Well, if youre going to compare two players against one another then do your best to eliminate other variables.
them: what does that even mean professor?
Me: Well, for one, trying to use team accomplishments is a losing proposition. Especially when the team we're talking about is historically good around him.
Them: GOLD MEDAL AND STANLEY CUP

Me:

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensFanSince1989

Quote:

lmao. Yeah, lucky wrister

And yeah, Tiger Woods had such an exciting demeanor and he destroyed golf (talking pre-scandal)...and the destroying golf was sarcastic, fyi.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

Frankly, true hockey fans on both sides of the border don't give a royal crap about this. Seriously, do you think a guy sitting in Madison Square Gardens or Molson Place cares one bit if anyone in Nevada is watching hockey or not? I can promise you I don't. Love it or don't. Doesn't affect me one bit.

Or even more appropriately, is that Sid's or any other player's responsibility to grow the league, or isn't that the job of the NHL?

You are just upset because some players spend more time being a celebrity than being a hockey player. Not naming names or anything.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:10 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
lmao. Yeah, lucky wrister

And yeah, Tiger Woods had such an exciting demeanor and he destroyed golf (talking pre-scandal)...and the destroying golf was sarcastic, fyi.
Seriously, in the world of Golf, Tiger's frickin T.O.

And yeah, lucky wrister. Watching, I was amazed Iginla's pass got through, so I'm sure Miller was shocked. Hope Crosby bought him dinner for catapulting his career even further.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
This is all wrong.
Caps fans: Ovechkin>Crosby
Pens fans: Crosby> Ovechkin
Me: Well Crosby is a great hockey player but he's not better than Ovechkin.
Them: You are mad sir. Crosby is obviously the better player. Consider how he has a Stanley Cup and an Olympic Gold.
Me: Well, if youre going to compare two players against one another then do your best to eliminate other variables.
them: what does that even mean professor?
Me: Well, for one, trying to use team accomplishments is a losing proposition. Especially when the team we're talking about is historically good around him.
Them: GOLD MEDAL AND STANLEY CUP
Or:

Quote:
“Bäckis” also praises Sidney Crosby.

Backstrom: Playing like he did against us now, he’s the best player.

Reporter: The best you’ve met?

Backstrom: Yeah, Ovechkin is awesome from the red line and forward, but Crosby’s awesome all over the rink. We knew how dangerous he is in front of the net, but we couldn’t solve him. Maybe it looks like he’s lucky alot, but it’s about being in the right place you know, and he almost always is.
So, yeah. But Caps fans love to conveniently forget this little gem.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:11 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
is pathetic
To Sum it up
Not every Penguins fan needs to drag down Ovechkin in order to defend Crosby. To be honest, I'm not really sure how he came into this discussion but it doesn't surprised me.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:14 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Seriously, in the world of Golf, Tiger's frickin T.O.

And yeah, lucky wrister. Watching, I was amazed Iginla's pass got through, so I'm sure Miller was shocked. Hope Crosby bought him dinner for catapulting his career even further.
You have to be joking, right? No one is this ignorant.

You are not a fan of the game, you are nothing but a troll.

Another one for the ignore list.

Old
NeilYoung

Quote:
Or:

So, yeah. But Caps fans love to conveniently forget this little gem.
This year a reported asked him again and he said this year Ovie's the best in the league and has stepped his game up,

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Frankly, true hockey fans on both sides of the border don't give a royal crap about this. Seriously, do you think a guy sitting in Madison Square Gardens or Molson Place cares one bit if anyone in Nevada is watching hockey or not? I can promise you I don't. Love it or don't. Doesn't affect me one bit.

Or even more appropriately, is that Sid's or any other player's responsibility to grow the league, or isn't that the job of the NHL?

You are just upset because some players spend more time being a celebrity than being a hockey player. Not naming names or anything.
Doesn't matter to you, your national sport is hockey. I gotta flip 3 pages and read the fine print to see the scores in the paper. Last time I checked, the league had more American teams, so it's growth is in everyone's best interest.