HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2010, 02:14 AM
  #751
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
For some reason, much of this thread makes me think of the American Voices (name of the section, not making a national statement) section of The Onion. I could see it now.

Kyle Wilson
Elevator Operator
"Sydney Crosby scoring the game winning goal, despite not being the best player for Canada throughout the Olympics, clearly shows he is not a team player."

Rhonda Nelson
Manicurist
"He has nice teeth. I wonder if he is single."

Alberto Miguel Ramirez
Real Estate Agent
"Why do they keep yelling, Hurry, Hurry Harder, when the puck is sliding towards the circles?"

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:15 AM
  #752
huge*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
ovechkin was russia's flag bearer tonight and crosby wasn't canada's cuz he was busy......

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  #753
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
This year a reported asked him again and he said this year Ovie's the best in the league and has stepped his game up,
We'll see what everyone says when it matters.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  #754
MattBradleyKO
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Or:



So, yeah. But Caps fans love to conveniently forget this little gem.

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  #755
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post
Not every Penguins fan needs to drag down Ovechkin in order to defend Crosby. To be honest, I'm not really sure how he came into this discussion but it doesn't surprised me.
I don't know why these arguments are still going it changes every week
I remember a couple weeks ago some pitt fans were saying ao was better now its understandably different point is the battle with these two changes every week

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  #756
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
The people quoting Iginla and co. about Crosby? Come on.

Hmm, it is so very rare for teammates to compliment and defend each other's play...wait, not it's not.

I'm amazed that people can keep writing things like Crosby was rock solid defensively and believe it. He wasn't and he wasn't very effective offensively. What surprised me is that he wasn't as tenacious as I've seen him in the past.
People have also quoted Larionov, one of the smartest hockey minds and a great all-around player himself, who has no reason to care about Crosby, but pointed out how good he was all around and how he worked hard every game.

It's not the best he's ever played, no, but it was good enough and he played like a winner and capped it off with a great effort in scoring one of the biggest goals ever. And as usual he absorbed the best defenders and took pressure off the rest of the team.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
  #757
capitalsfan
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
You have to be joking, right? No one is this ignorant.

You are not a fan of the game, you are nothing but a troll.

Another one for the ignore list.
I'm a huge fan of the game, just tired of this Gretz wannabe being shoved down my throat by the NHL. He had a pretty weak tournament and saved it on a lucky opportunity created by a truly great player

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:18 AM
  #758
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
We'll see what everyone says when it matters.
You have your opinion I have mine Ive discussed this stuff enough times before to know it goes nowhere with you

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:18 AM
  #759
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
When confronted with unbiased, informed evidence, a gif's always a nice option.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:19 AM
  #760
TheSniper26
No cure for being...
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post
Not every Penguins fan needs to drag down Ovechkin in order to defend Crosby. To be honest, I'm not really sure how he came into this discussion but it doesn't surprised me.
Probably has something to do with the fact that a healthy portion of the people that have a problem with Crosby's Olympic performance are Ovechkin fans. Though why Ovechkin supporters, of all people, would want to start a debate over any player's "Olympic performance" is beyond me.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:19 AM
  #761
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
I'm a huge fan of the game, just tired of this Gretz wannabe being shoved down my throat by the NHL. He had a pretty weak tournament and saved it on a lucky opportunity created by a truly great player
Huge fan of the game? Maybe you like it, but you don't understand anything outside of spectacular Ovechkin highlights, it seems. The game winning goal was pretty much all Crosby.

He got into the zone, went against 4 guys by himself, pushed the puck in the corner, fought for it, lost the battle, went for it again, pushed it to Iginla, got open, got the pass and scored. Iginla made a great pass, but giving him all the credit for the goal is pretty stupid. Calling this goal a lucky wrister is stupider.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:20 AM
  #762
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
You have your opinion I have mine Ive discussed this stuff enough times before to know it goes nowhere with you
Crosby wins, fans revel, Caps fans whine, the world keeps on a turnin'.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:21 AM
  #763
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Huge fan of the game? Maybe you like it, but you don't understand anything outside of spectacular Ovechkin highlights, it seems. The game winning goal was pretty much all Crosby.

He got into the zone, fought for the puck in the corner, lost the battle, went for it again, pushed it to Iginla, got open, got the pass and scored. Iginla did a great pass, but giving him all the credit for the goal is pretty stupid.
Agreed that caps fans gotta give the devil his due Crosby earned that goal, nice quick shot to

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:24 AM
  #764
capitalsfan
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Huge fan of the game? Maybe you like it, but you don't understand anything outside of spectacular Ovechkin highlights, it seems. The game winning goal was pretty much all Crosby.

He got into the zone, went against 4 guys by himself, pushed the puck in the corner, fought for it, lost the battle, went for it again, pushed it to Iginla, got open, got the pass and scored. Iginla did a great pass, but giving him all the credit for the goal is pretty stupid. Calling this goal a lucky wrister is stupider.
I bet you'd defend how Toew's goal was due to his hard work too . I understand the game, but it's a spectator sport. U.S. fans don't have the luxury of appreciating the nuts and bolts of the game. If we continue to do that, we will have to keep searching the obscure cable channels for Versus

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:26 AM
  #765
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Crosby wins, fans revel, Caps fans whine, the world keeps on a turnin'.
Not really Crosby was SOLID all tourny long
Team Canada won
Penguins won
He was a big part of all those wins
but your making it sound like Crosby vastly outplayed AO which is false Crosby outplayed ao in game 7 and somewhat in the olympics
they both didnt bring there A game to the olympics
but its not like crosbys play in all these games has been on another level than alexs there pretty close and in a lot of peoples opinions it changes every week whos better
either of them isnt clear cut better no one can really say that forsure

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:26 AM
  #766
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
I bet you'd defend how Toew's goal was due to his hard work too . I understand the game, but it's a spectator sport. U.S. fans don't have the luxury of appreciating the nuts and bolts of the game. If we continue to do that, we will have to keep searching the obscure cable channels for Versus
Well, Toews did drive the net and went for the rebound. There is nothing "lucky" there, it is even very basic knowledge.

Your argument is very stupid, baseball and football are the two most popular sports in America and both are very strategic without many spectacular plays. You are just bitter.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:27 AM
  #767
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,887
vCash: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
This is all wrong.
Caps fans: Ovechkin>Crosby
Pens fans: Crosby> Ovechkin
Me: Well Crosby is a great hockey player but he's not better than Ovechkin.
Them: You are mad sir. Crosby is obviously the better player. Consider how he has a Stanley Cup and an Olympic Gold.
Me: Well, if youre going to compare two players against one another then do your best to eliminate other variables.
them: what does that even mean professor?
Me: Well, for one, trying to use team accomplishments is a losing proposition. Especially when the team we're talking about is historically good around him.
Them: GOLD MEDAL AND STANLEY CUP

Me:
You conveniently forgot the whole point of people having issue with your trolling: the fact you said Crosby has been a non-factor/invisible throughout this tournament, and won't even give him credit for scoring the most important goal of the entire tournament.

But it's nice to see you paint yourself in a less-than-bashing light when trying to make it seem like Penguins fans just go out of their way to pick on poor Ovechkin for no reason.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:27 AM
  #768
KeepitinPitt
Registered User
 
KeepitinPitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
I don't know why these arguments are still going it changes every week
I remember a couple weeks ago some pitt fans were saying ao was better now its understandably different point is the battle with these two changes every week
Yep and it will never end because at this point it's just a matter of opinion. When both are at the top of their game you might as well flip a coin to decide "who's better". Neither has any glaring weaknesses and they each do certain things better than the other. It's why I never get involved in AO vs Crosby arguments. Sure, I'll defend Sid but I'm not about to trash Ovechkin in the process, because he's just as good in his own right. I wouldn't trade Crosby for Ovechkin and I'm certain Caps fans wouldn't make that trade either. Frankly I'm just happy they're both in the league and bringing attention to the sport we all love. The fact that the Caps and Pens have history together doesn't help the situation either. Neither teams fans got along that great to begin with, now you put two of the best players in the world on both teams and this is what we get. The never ending Crosvechkin debate!

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:28 AM
  #769
MattBradleyKO
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
When confronted with unbiased, informed evidence, a gif's always a nice option.
thank you!

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:28 AM
  #770
capitalsfan
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Agreed that caps fans gotta give the devil his due Crosby earned that goal, nice quick shot to
I'm not your average caps fan. I'll admit Crosby's a good player , wont get even that from most.

He didn't do anything special to get that puck and the pass should have been cut off. Which clearly surprised Miller, who didn't even react. Winning a puck doesn't mean anything without that pass.

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:29 AM
  #771
MattBradleyKO
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You conveniently forgot the whole point of people having issue with your trolling: the fact you said Crosby has been a non-factor/invisible throughout this tournament, and won't even give him credit for scoring the most important goal of the entire tournament.

But it's nice to see you paint yourself in a less-than-bashing light when trying to make it seem like Penguins fans just go out of their way to pick on poor Ovechkin for no reason.
comeon man, I got a reputation to protect!

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
  #772
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
I'm not your average caps fan. I'll admit Crosby's a good player , wont get even that from most.

He didn't do anything special to get that puck and the pass should have been cut off. Which clearly surprised Miller, who didn't even react. Winning a puck doesn't mean anything without that pass.
And without Crosby's effort before that pass, Iginla never gets the puck therefore can't give it back to Sid for the goal. Then, you say you can admit Crosby is a great player, I'm not that sure.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
  #773
Marns
@thestretchpass
 
Marns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post
He was busy playing responsible hockey; grinding along the boards and fighting for loose pucks like he always does. Sorry he can't score every game but he didn't have to. Something tells me by the picture that he didn't care too much either.
Not to mention he hardly played in the third period after the hit from Franzen.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
  #774
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Not really Crosby was SOLID all tourny long
Team Canada won
Penguins won
He was a big part of all those wins
but your making it sound like Crosby vastly outplayed AO which is false Crosby outplayed ao in game 7 and somewhat in the olympics
they both didnt bring there A game to the olympics
but its not like crosbys play in all these games has been on another level than alexs there pretty close and in a lot of peoples opinions it changes every week whos better
either of them isnt clear cut better no one can really say that forsure
We're actually pretty close in our opinions here. But Crosby's got the indisputable clutch and championship pedigree now, and it's Ovie's turn to answer.

The "worse team" excuse isn't going to fly for Washington this year.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:32 AM
  #775
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post
Yep and it will never end because at this point it's just a matter of opinion. When both are at the top of their game you might as well flip a coin to decide "who's better". Neither has any glaring weaknesses and they each do certain things better than the other. It's why I never get involved in AO vs Crosby arguments. Sure, I'll defend Sid but I'm not about to trash Ovechkin in the process, because he's just as good in his own right. I wouldn't trade Crosby for Ovechkin and I'm certain Caps fans wouldn't make that trade either. Frankly I'm just happy they're both in the league and bringing attention to the sport we all love. The fact that the Caps and Pens have history together doesn't help the situation either. Neither teams fans got along that great to begin with, now you put two of the best players in the world on both teams and this is what we get. The never ending Crosvechkin debate!
This

These arguments give me headache

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.