HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
03-01-2010, 01:32 AM
capitalsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Well, Toews did drive the net and went for the rebound. There is nothing "lucky" there, it is even very basic knowledge.

Your argument is very stupid, baseball and football are the two most popular sports in America and both are very strategic without many spectacular plays. You are just bitter.
Holy hell. Are you kidding me. Baseball is slipping into the abyss, for the same reasons hockey can't break through. And to say football doesn't have spectacular plays is retarded. The guys around the water cooler aren't exactly focused on the nickel defense that created the body rocking hit in the backfield. If hockey would focus a bit more on it's NFL-like elements, it might get out of the ratings basement.

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:32 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
We're actually pretty close in our opinions here. But Crosby's got the indisputable clutch and championship pedigree now, and it's Ovie's turn to answer.
It's pretty disputable. Prettayy Prettaayyy disputable.I mean, his teams have won and all, but as far as "clutch" goes...naaahhhhhhh.

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:33 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
We're actually pretty close in our opinions here. But Crosby's got the indisputable clutch and championship pedigree now, and it's Ovie's turn to answer.

The "worse team" excuse isn't going to fly for Washington this year.
Yea if GMGM can add a Hamhuis or Seidenberg I think we can get to the ECF

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Nardj

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
I bet you'd defend how Toew's goal was due to his hard work too . I understand the game, but it's a spectator sport. U.S. fans don't have the luxury of appreciating the nuts and bolts of the game. If we continue to do that, we will have to keep searching the obscure cable channels for Versus
Is there any point here ? Are you suggesting we should stop watching goals that doesnt involved guys rolling on their backs before shooting the puck ? In fact do you actually watch hockey games at all ?

Nardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:35 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Holy hell. Are you kidding me. Baseball is slipping into the abyss, for the same reasons hockey can't break through. And to say football doesn't have spectacular plays is retarded. The guys around the water cooler aren't exactly focused on the nickel defense that created the body rocking hit in the backfield. If hockey would focus a bit more on it's NFL-like elements, it might get out of the ratings basement.
Most football plays are unspectacular, you can't deny that. NFL marketing is excellent, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that your argument about lack of spectacular play being the reason why hockey isn't popular is quite stupid considering the fact that America loves baseball and football while it is less spectacular than hockey.

Sure the NFL sells itself better but it is nothing to do with YOUR argument. I'm sure than you'd find a LOT of people discussing great defensive schemes in a football message board. This is what message board are about, discussing the game and analyzing it, not selling it...

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:35 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
When confronted with unbiased, informed evidence, a gif's always a nice option.
it kind of reminded me of ovechokin trying to backcheck

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:36 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
And without Crosby's effort before that pass, Iginla never gets the puck therefore can't give it back to Sid for the goal. Then, you say you can admit Crosby is a great player, I'm not that sure.
I didn't say great , as he's not. He's a very good player, like so many others in the NHL. You're statement is a circular argument. The pass is what directly transferred to the goal. It's like saying he won a faceoff in the first period, which by spaghetti logic means he created his goal in the 3rd period.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:37 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

amazing how success seems to follow the untalented, invisible crosby. must be wearing Axe.
try some today.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:37 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
I didn't say great , as he's not. He's a very good player, like so many others in the NHL. You're statement is a circular argument. The pass is what directly transferred to the goal. It's like saying he won a faceoff in the first period, which by spaghetti logic means he created his goal in the 3rd period.
I was talking about his effort on THAT VERY PLAY! He hustled his ass off and GOT THE DAMN PUCK TO IGINLA! That created a give and go situation and Crosby scored. Is it THAT HARD to understand?

Old
03-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Yea if GMGM can add a Hamhuis or Seidenberg I think we can get to the ECF
I think Washington could without it. Whether they will or not...we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
It's pretty disputable. Prettayy Prettaayyy disputable.I mean, his teams have won and all, but as far as "clutch" goes...naaahhhhhhh.
You're forgiven, if only for using a Larry David reference.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Nardj

Quote:
Well if he's not a great player, he's certainly way better than some other dudes out there who still hasnt won a Stanley Cup, or whose national team got busted 7-3 recently.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Most football plays are unspectacular, you can't deny that. NFL marketing is excellent, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that your argument about lack of spectacular play being the reason why hockey isn't popular is quite stupid considering the fact that America loves baseball and football while it is less spectacular than hockey.

Sure the NFL sells itself better but it is nothing to do with YOUR argument. I'm sure than you'd find a LOT of people discussing great defensive schemes in a football message board. This is what message board are about, discussing the game and analyzing it, not selling it...
It's hard for you to understand. I have to come on here and talk hockey with a bunch of Canadians on a forum, cause noone in my country gives a damn.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Nardj

Quote:
I was talking about his effort on THAT VERY PLAY! He hustled his ass off and GOT THE DAMN PUCK TO IGINLA! That created a give and go situation and Crosby scored. Is it THAT HARD to understand?
Not hard to understand for someone actually interested in hockey I would say

Old
03-01-2010, 01:41 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
I think Washington could without it. Whether they will or not...we'll see.

You're forgiven, if only for using a Larry David reference.
I like our chances a lot better with atleast another depth d men last year our d men got banged up and ineffective against Pitts

and towards MattBradley hate to say it but Crosby is pretty clutch

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:43 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardj View Post
Well if he's not a great player, he's certainly way better than some other dudes out there who still hasnt won a Stanley Cup, or whose national team got busted 7-3 recently.
I don't give "The Cup" as much credit as most on these forums. Winnings great, but there's more to the argument. It's just convenient for Crosby supporters to forget that. Ask the NHL d-men who'd they rather have to deal with.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:44 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
It's hard for you to understand. I have to come on here and talk hockey with a bunch of Canadians on a forum, cause noone in my country gives a damn.
Yeah, I know that, but what exactly does this have to do with anything? Your attempt to explain the reasons why Americans don't care is quite pathetic and you haven't brought one single meaningfull argument to the discussion. NOT ONE!

Old
03-01-2010, 01:46 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardj View Post
Not hard to understand for someone actually interested in hockey I would say
I'm a huge hockey fan, but living in the U.S. I am probably more divided than most of you who don't have the other sports to contend with. Either way, I still think the kid gets way to much credit, and the bulk of this tournament proved it as he was one of the weakest offensive guys in the first 2 lines for team Canada.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:46 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
and towards MattBradley hate to say it but Crosby is pretty clutch
"Clutch" is the team around you. And Champagne- we do have some money fast food joints around here. Quit makin me hungry man!

Old
03-01-2010, 01:48 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Yeah, I know that, but what exactly does this have to do with anything? Your attempt to explain the reasons why Americans don't care is quite pathetic and you haven't brought one single meaningfull argument to the discussion. NOT ONE!
I'm questioning your country's golden child, of course you don't see anything meaningful in that

Old
03-01-2010, 01:50 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
I'm questioning your country's golden child, of course you don't see anything meaningful in that
Ok, I'm out...

Old
03-01-2010, 01:50 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Not really Crosby was SOLID all tourny long
Team Canada won
Penguins won
He was a big part of all those wins
but your making it sound like Crosby vastly outplayed AO which is false Crosby outplayed ao in game 7 and somewhat in the olympicsthey both didnt bring there A game to the olympics
but its not like crosbys play in all these games has been on another level than alexs there pretty close and in a lot of peoples opinions it changes every week whos better
either of them isnt clear cut better no one can really say that forsure
Ok, so then where is the thread about Ovechkin then? I mean neither player was at his best, but of the two, Ovechkin clearly had the worse tournament. And his team busted out the quarterfinals to boot. Not to mention his little hissy fit with the guy and his camera or whatever that whole thing was. So where's the questioning of Ovechkin? If Ovechkin is clearly the best player in the world(as so many caps fans are fond of saying), then shouldn't there be an even bigger discussion about his sub-par performance happening right now? Why is that Ovechkin gets all the praise for being the best, but none of the lofty expectations that come with it? Face it, this all just comes down to people not liking Crosby for whatever petty reasons they have. A thread of this nature would have been made regardless of what he had done in the tournament.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Nardj

Quote:
I'm a huge hockey fan, but living in the U.S. I am probably more divided than most of you who don't have the other sports to contend with. Either way, I still think the kid gets way to much credit, and the bulk of this tournament proved it as he was one of the weakest offensive guys in the first 2 lines for team Canada.

Says who ? Cos last time I checked he ended the tournament with 7 points. Not to mention that game winning goal thingie last night.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:59 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Ok, I'm out...
I concede. Just a tough loss and I guess I'm bitter. I am sick of hearing about Crosby, but there's no question he's a top notch player and it was an amazing game.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:02 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Ok, so then where is the thread about Ovechkin then? I mean neither player was at his best, but of the two, Ovechkin clearly had the worse tournament. And his team busted out the quarterfinals to boot. Not to mention his little hissy fit with the guy and his camera or whatever that whole thing was. So where's the questioning of Ovechkin? If Ovechkin is clearly the best player in the world(as so many caps fans are fond of saying), then shouldn't there be an even bigger discussion about his sub-par performance happening right now? Why is that Ovechkin gets all the praise for being the best, but none of the lofty expectations that come with it? Face it, this all just comes down to people not liking Crosby for whatever petty reasons they have. A thread of this nature would have been made regardless of what he had done in the tournament.
I suppose you missed it last week?

Old
03-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Nardj

Quote:
I concede. Just a tough loss and I guess I'm bitter. I am sick of hearing about Crosby, but there's no question he's a top notch player and it was an amazing game.
Well, dont you think its kind of logical for the NHL and the hockey world to promote one of its best players ? I mean its like blaming the NFL for all the fuss about Manning and Brees last month. Or the soccer world for all the hype surrounding Messi or Ronaldo.
In any popular modern sport, you'll hear a lot lot more about the n1 star than about the 3rd stringer. Sad but that's the way things are.