HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-27-2010, 11:10 AM
DanZ

vCash: 500
So Crosby finally has some good wingers to play with, and it's still their fault they can't score. If he can't create goals with the best snipers in the game, who is gunna score playing with him? If his teammates cant score, he should score himself. Excuses...

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

So far, Getzlaf > Crosby.

I think the tinman is starting to rub off on 87.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Dgill

While Crosby hasn't been putting up superior point totals, he has been playing a very responsible two way game that doesn't get recorded on the score sheets. I kinda see him playing like a Steve Yzerman in his 30's, which is one hell of a hockey player there. Definitely wont complain with that.

Dgill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Another thread of people who don't understand hockey and are looking for a chance to bash Crosby.

Canada gets extremely favorable matchups like the Thornton line had last night, because Crosby commands all of the attention from Canada's opponents.

But of course the people in this thread know more about hockey than "the professor"

Quote:
The Canadians had Sidney Crosby, who toiled everywhere, in all three zones, which is why he is the pride of Canada
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...sias-loss.html

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yeah, I think if you look at any of the best-on-best tourneys from '96 on, most times the NHL scoring leaders aren't the Olympic scoring leaders.

Even a guy like Sakic, who's hailed as a hero for 2002, had only scored 3 points in 6 Olympic games going into the gold medal match. Even after his 4 point game, he finished tied with John LeClair for 3rd in tourney scoring behind Sundin and Hull.

People tend to get amnesia when waxing about past tournaments sometimes.
I don't have any quibble with your basic points or your previous post, but I would say, that fairly or unfairly, Crosby doesn't come with Sakic/Yzerman expectations, he comes with Gretzky/Lemieux expectations. He's had a decent Olympics so far, but he has been something of a disappointment nonetheless.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I don't have any quibble with your basic points or your previous post, but I would say, that fairly or unfairly, Crosby doesn't come with Sakic/Yzerman expectations, he comes with Gretzky/Lemieux expectations. He's had a decent Olympics so far, but he has been something of a disappointment nonetheless.
Yet next to Ovechkin he has been the most marked man in the tournament. Considering that fact, I'm quite happy with Crosby's play. While he may not have been producing like he was hoped to do, he has excelled at all three zones like no other. I still see him as Canada's most reliable forward (even though Toews is playing like a man on a mission!)

Dgill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Washington Capitals

He's been fine, give him a break.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:40 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
Yet next to Ovechkin he has been the most marked man in the tournament. Considering that fact, I'm quite happy with Crosby's play. While he may not have been producing like he was hoped to do, he has excelled at all three zones like no other. I still see him as Canada's most reliable forward (even though Toews is playing like a man on a mission!)
I'm not unhappy with his play, and he is reliable. But for Canada to likely have any chance of a win on Sunday, he's going to have to take his game to another level. That's not a completely unreasonable expectation if he is the kind of player that so many people think he is.

Old
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
robdicks

i think hes looked awesome.. always aware when hes on the ice and always creating a chance.. only criticism i have is that in the NHL this year he has looked to shoot a lot more than he used to. This year at the Olympics he seems to be happy that he has so many good players around him, and hes trying to force the pass a little too much. Last night he had a two on one and the defender was playing it perfectly... Crosby tried to pass it through him rather than pick a corner, and although it was a close pass (only Crosby could put it that close) shooting the puck would have been a much better decision

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I've liked his work ethic and his play in all three zones for the most part.

He's just not executing as well as he could.

I think a lot of that comes from him always trying to make the perfect pass instead of just throwing it at the net.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'm not unhappy with his play, and he is reliable. But for Canada to likely have any chance of a win on Sunday, he's going to have to take his game to another level. That's not a completely unreasonable expectation if he is the kind of player that so many people think he is.
I disagree.. i think as long as hes in the lineup he will garner the attention of USA's top pairing, further exposing their lesser pairings to our other stars

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
I disagree.. i think as long as hes in the lineup he will garner the attention of USA's top pairing, further exposing their lesser pairings to our other stars
Well, I think he has to be a lot more than a decoy. But let's hope that you are right.

Old
02-27-2010, 11:49 AM
hugo agogo

The Professor was not analyzing Crosby's quality of play, but his effort which was his point as to why Russia lost so badly to Canada. Our stars are willing to do the dirty work to win.

Crosby has been "good", but the expectation for him, and I'm sure of himself is a little higher.

Gretzky, Lemieux, the other truly greats were the leaders, the best players, the game winners for us, as they should have been. Sid has not been that yet.

He has also been a turnover machine in the neutral zone and the opposing blue line. He has lost a lot of one on ones. I really hope he pulls it together tomorrow because the turnovers will kill us against the Americans.

Their only hope against us is their speedy counterattack which got us last game. We have to win one on one, clear our zone effectively, and close the gaping hole between our D and forwards. Babcock has to shorten the bench.

If Pronger has to play 30 feet back of the forwards to not get blown by, he should sit with Bergeron.

hugo agogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Lim Ran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
What happened to the argument about having crappy wingers to play with in Pittsburgh?
He's not playing as well as he should be, but his wingers still aren't burying his chances.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

He's been very average and I don't just mean points. His defensive zone coverage hasn't been very good and he's turned the puck over quite a bit. Crosby can play much better.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Lim Ran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo agogo View Post
Gretzky, Lemieux, the other truly greats were the leaders, the best players, the game winners for us, as they should have been. Sid has not been that yet.
That's because Sid isn't Gretzky or Lemieux. Neither is Malkin and neither is AO. Sorry, fans.

Edit: But those saying that he isn't working hard or isn't working hard defensively are on crack. Period.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NeilYoung

I'll try not to come across as a homer here...
He's definitely been real solid all tournament, board works been real strong
I feel that his still has yet to show what he's capable of I think the gold medal game will be huge for him
He's not shooting enough either hope to see more of it in the gold medal game

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Svoboda crash

IMO Crosby is not the problem on his line. I expected more from a guy like Iginla who has trouble shooting on the net. Many times in the tournament Sid was really creative but Iginla never seems to be ready. Some will say that Iginla has 5 goals, but they were all scored against Germany and Norway.

Crosby is always creating plays, he makes great passes but Iginla looks like Chris Higgins most of the time ! Okay, maybe not as bad as Higgy.

Svoboda crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Crosby has imo been less than impressive.. i'm not saying hes been BAD but i'm saying that hes been average and thats about it... as far as defensively responsible i dont even know about that.. for the most part i'd say so.. but hes also had quite the number of turnovers in the neutral/defensive blue line..
My biggest complaint though is that babcock should really REALIZE this and start doing the TOI's accordingly.. with getzy n thornton's line being 1 and 2 and giving getzy some PP time as well.. we did that once yesterday and ooh look at the PP goal... i'm not saying that crosby's line has been awful on the PP but lately.. they have been sub-par.. always trying to pass it around with no one just unloading it on net

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:59 AM
WVP

As an American, I'm fairly terrified of playing against a "due for a monster game" Crosby.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:04 PM
nightfighter

Are you guys kidding me? Crosby is a point per game, wins puck battles and has broken up many more opposing team plays than he has given away the puck. I even saw him lay a big hit on volchenkov in the Russia game. Can he be scoring more? Maybe, but you have to understand these are best of the best defense/goalies he is playing against here. Chara was on the ice everytime the crosby line was. Can Crosby be better and try to make more chances happen? Sure, but when he is playing very well in the other team's zone and taking heat off the other lines so the rest of the team can score this is what I call a good TEAM GAME.

Has crosby been disappointing in this tourney? Only if you were expecting him to dominate like he has on the NHL level, but this is not the NHL. These are teams STACKED with good players, and as long as crosby remains on the winning side of the ledger I would say he has met with my expectations.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
TheReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
So Crosby finally has some good wingers to play with, and it's still their fault they can't score. If he can't create goals with the best snipers in the game, who is gunna score playing with him? If his teammates cant score, he should score himself. Excuses...
Yeah man, he sucks. Massively overrated, the pens should trade him for Callahan. Rozsival and a 2nd.

Give me guy a break. He's been playing well, creating chances, sometimes it doesn't go in. Can anyone imagine the kind of pressure he's under right now? The whole nation is counting on him and expecting him to win games singlehandedly. And he's still performing at a PPG pace.

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Why do people keep saying PPG without putting it into perspective. Seriously who gives a damn about his 3 points against Norway and shootout goals really should only count as a team goal.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:17 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I'm as big a fan of Crosby's as they come, and I would say he has had a good, not great tournament.

I catch about 70 Penguins games a season on Centre Ice, and I have seen him play a lot better.

However, Nick Kypreos (shockingly) said it best..."He is NOT Wayne Gretzky, Canada. He is not going to score 4 points every night. He great for other reasons."

True. Crosby is one of the best in the world because when he wants the puck, everyone else might as well wait until he is finished with it, because he's not giving it up. Through this, he generates chances. Some click, some don't. NO ONE holds the puck like he does. I would like to see him going to the net more like he does with the Pens, though. I attribute this to the fact that he now has two other guys on his line that can play the same way he does, so their is less opprtunity for it.

On a team like Team Canada, he just has to play his game, create chances, and play in all three zones. He has being doing this. Saying he has sucked are words of people that don't know anything about the game beyond what they can see in the boxscore.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:24 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Even when Sid is playing on a team of all-stars, people still somehow manage to find away to single him out. How come guys like Getzlaf, Perry, and Pronger have yet to be called out in spite of their so-so performances? Up till the game against Russia, all 3 of those guys were practically invisible, if not below average.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote