HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
So far, Getzlaf > Crosby.

I think the tinman is starting to rub off on 87.
Getzlaf has been better than Sid (on the scoresheet that is) over the last 2 games. For the first 3 though, Getzlaf was invisible while Sid was playing some great hockey.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Hasn't been the player he normally is. Maybe with all the elite players on the team he is blending in...or he just isn't elevating his game the way he needs to.

Either way, he's got to be better for Canada to have a chance against the US.
Right, because Canada are such underdogs if Sid isn't producing

Old
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Even when Sid is playing on a team of all-stars, people still somehow manage to find away to single him out. How come guys like Getzlaf, Perry, and Pronger have yet to be called out in spite of their so-so performances? Up till the game against Russia, all 3 of those guys were practically invisible, if not below average.
Are you kidding? Getzlaf, Perry and Pronger were all called out viciously the first few games. I'm also sure most people would agree that showing up in the quarters/semis against Russia and Slovakia >>showing up in the prelims VS. Norway/Swiss/USA and against Germany.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
ComrieFanatic

I think he has been fine. His name hasn't been on the score sheet the last two games, but he has created several chances and is always a force in the offensive zone. He's made several good defensive plays and is usually the first guy back.

I think the biggest reason his numbers aren't as high as we expected is because he never got use to his line mates. Plus, he had to play against the shut down players from Russia and Slovakia the past two games, and that will hurt any players production. I think if Crosby truly was playing poorly, you would see teams shifting their best defensive players to face another Canadian line, and they haven't. Crosby may not be scoring, but he's giving the other 3 lines plenty of looks and they are scoring.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:36 PM
mdhockey24

He's been overpassing like crazy, and his linemates haven't been finishing. He could easily have 10 assists in this tournament. To me, it looks as though he's been told that his role on that line is set-up man. He's looking pass every time that he touches the puck, which is not how he's been playing in Pittsburgh this season.

Away from the scoresheet, he's been excellent. He's been winning big faceoffs, winning battles along the boards, and backchecking hard. I'm not really sure what more people expect from the guy.

mdhockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:38 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
I counted 2 sure goals setup by crosby that staal just flat out missed last night. It's almost like watching guerin out there.
If there's anyone that has been disappointing this tournament it's STAAL. The guy is essentially known more for his goal scoring ability as opposed to his playmaking, yet he has only 1 goal to his name to go along with 5 assists. At least Sid's offensive production has been rather balanced overall.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Semin

I haven't read the whole thread, sorry if this has been asked/discussed.

Crosby has been pretty average, do you think its because now he's playing with star caliber players he doesn't have to do everything himself like how he has to with Pittsburgh?

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
Are you kidding? Getzlaf, Perry and Pronger were all called out viciously the first few games. I'm also sure most people would agree that showing up in the quarters/semis against Russia and Slovakia >>showing up in the prelims VS. Norway/Swiss/USA and against Germany.
One could also argue that not showing up for the preliminaries almost cost us a game against Swiss, and eventually did cost us a game against the U.S. My point remains that very few players on this team have shown their full quality throughout all 5 games, which is why it's ridiculous for only Sid's play to be called out.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
mdhockey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
So Crosby finally has some good wingers to play with, and it's still their fault they can't score.
Well...yes, actually, that precisely the poblem. How do pin it on Crosby if he puts a puck right on Iginla's stick and he gets stopped?

Also, you need to take chemistry into account. Over the course of a long season, guys would build up chemistry together. In a quick tournament like this, if the chemistry doesn't come instantly, there's not much they can do about it.

mdhockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Philly85
Raps'

I still think people have to remember and consider the kid is 22 years old. He has the weight of a nation on his shoulders and everyone is expecting him to dominate. He's not a machine, he's human, and he's also still a kid going through the paces, the Olympics are a different kind of beast and he's handled the pressure admirably IMO.

Not to mention that aside from point totals, he's still playing a fairly good game, always a threat when he's on the ice, and as you see opposing teams tend to triple team him and completely contain him when he comes flying in the zone. Has a lot to deal with.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:42 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, sorry if this has been asked/discussed.

Crosby has been pretty average, do you think its because now he's playing with star caliber players he doesn't have to do everything himself like how he has to with Pittsburgh?
He hasn't been "average". He's been setting up plays like crazy, working hard on the forecheck and winning key board battles, winning big faceoffs, and doing well in his own end. If anything, he has had a great tournament thus far, beyond what his stats might show. His main problem is that he's been focusing way too much on setting up his linemates as opposed to trying to score more on his own, which is to be expected considering the quality linemates he currently has. Aside from that though, this is the most resilient I've seen him look in years. He's been absolutely FLYING out there!

Old
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhockey24 View Post
He's been overpassing like crazy, and his linemates haven't been finishing. He could easily have 10 assists in this tournament. To me, it looks as though he's been told that his role on that line is set-up man. He's looking pass every time that he touches the puck, which is not how he's been playing in Pittsburgh this season.

Away from the scoresheet, he's been excellent. He's been winning big faceoffs, winning battles along the boards, and backchecking hard. I'm not really sure what more people expect from the guy.
No one player has dominated or put up big numbers in this tournament. It's easy to say Crosby, and Ovechkin are going to put up 2 points per game because of who they are playing with, but it takes more than that.

Crosby probably should be shooting more, but he has made some great passes. He has given Iginla, Staal and Nash many great opportunities to score, and they haven't buried them. Can't blame him for that.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
One could also argue that not showing up for the preliminaries almost cost us a game against Swiss, and eventually did cost us a game against the U.S. My point remains that very few players on this team have shown their full quality throughout all 5 games, which is why it's ridiculous for only Sid's play to be called out.
Definitely, but people will always look upon these bigger games in higher regard, as they should.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

The difference is that the last two games have been the biggest. Big game players show up in big games. Crosby has been transparent for the last two games.

Having said that, if we win tomorrow I think Crosby will be a huge factor. Crosby is not a whipping boy, but his play has disappointed me.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:48 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

its all on the line this game... this is for his one shot at gold until the next four years comes around... if nhlers can even play.

he'll leave it all out there sunday

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:52 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

I think a lot of that comes from him always trying to make the perfect pass instead of just throwing it at the net.
agree and he needs to shoot more if the opportunity presents

lastcupever75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhockey24 View Post
He's been overpassing like crazy, .
even better way to put it

lastcupever75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Even when Sid is playing on a team of all-stars, people still somehow manage to find away to single him out. How come guys like Getzlaf, Perry, and Pronger have yet to be called out in spite of their so-so performances? Up till the game against Russia, all 3 of those guys were practically invisible, if not below average.
- Because Pronger looked slow, had numerous giveaways and was playing poor positionally, which is why is ice time was reduced big time

- Because Perry and Getzlaf looked lazy, were turning the puck over in the neutral zone and weren't making positive contributions in the defensive zone.

Watch the games rather than trying to make stories out of nothing. Crosby has been strong in the offensive zone and has created a ton of chances for himself and his line mates. He has been coming back and making strong plays in the defensive zone. Babcock hasn't hesitated at all to sit guys and cut their ice time when they haven't been performing. Crosby hasn't had his ice time reduced at all this tournament aside from the Germany game when Babcock gave everyone a rest once the game was out of hand.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:59 PM
ILuvLucic*

He looked great against the weak teams.

I am not impressed so far, he can change my mind on Sunday though.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
- Because Pronger looked slow, had numerous giveaways and was playing poor positionally, which is why is ice time was reduced big time

- Because Perry and Getzlaf looked lazy, were turning the puck over in the neutral zone and weren't making positive contributions in the defensive zone.

Watch the games rather than trying to make stories out of nothing. Crosby has been strong in the offensive zone and has created a ton of chances for himself and his line mates. He has been coming back and making strong plays in the defensive zone. Babcock hasn't hesitated at all to sit guys and cut their ice time when they haven't been performing. Crosby hasn't had his ice time reduced at all this tournament aside from the Germany game when Babcock gave everyone a rest once the game was out of hand.
Which is my exact point!

Its just so easy to base everything around stats rather than actually observing the on-ice performances though. As far as I'm concerned, this entire thread is just another excuse to piss on the kid, and it isn't merited at all. Even when he hasn't been putting up big numbers, he's still been working his ass off on every single shift, whereas we probably can't say the same thing for some other guys on this team.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post

However, Nick Kypreos (shockingly) said it best..."He is NOT Wayne Gretzky, Canada. He is not going to score 4 points every night. He great for other reasons."
And that's precisely the problem with the people criticizing him in this thread. They expect him to produce like Gretzky did. Nobody, other than Lemieux, could do that.

If people would realize that Crosby is not the next Gretzky, and never will be the next Gretzky, then maybe he wouldn't have to score 3 points a game before people will question whether he's playing well.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
EverettMike

I'm not sure Crosby has done anything to diminish his standing as best hockey player in the world. He's been the best player on the most talented team in the world.

In fact, while he strengthened his case, Ovechkin did a good job of weakening his.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Torts

hes saving it for sunday!!!

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Sentinel

In all honesty, Crosby played against the only great defensive forward Russia had. Who ate him up. At a cost of liberating hands of the lines of Getzlaf and Richards.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Which is my exact point!

Its just so easy to base everything around stats rather than actually observing the on-ice performances though. As far as I'm concerned, this entire thread is just another excuse to piss on the kid, and it isn't merited at all. Even when he hasn't been putting up big numbers, he's still been working his ass off on every single shift, whereas we probably can't say the same thing for some other guys on this team.
I think Pronger and Perry were called out though early in this tournament. Perry has really stepped it up since his lazy play in the US game. Pronger is playing maybe a bit better, but he has seen his ice time drop big time.

Great players, like Crosby, find ways to help a team when they aren't putting up points. Aside from Ovechkin's big hit, he did nothing in this tournament other than score 2 goals against Latvia - he doesn't back check and he doesn't create plays for his line mates like Crosby. Same goes for Thornton and Staal, although Thornton seemed to do just enough each game to keep himself out of the dog house. All in all, it's such a short tournament. Two pointless games is such a small sample size. This happens all the time in the NHL.