HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Edit***

Last edited by EroCaps: 02-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.
EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
What planet are you living on?
Earth, what planet are you living on?

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I think Pronger and Perry were called out though early in this tournament. Perry has really stepped it up since his lazy play in the US game. Pronger is playing maybe a bit better, but he has seen his ice time drop big time.

Great players, like Crosby, find ways to help a team when they aren't putting up points. Aside from Ovechkin's big hit, he did nothing in this tournament other than score 2 goals against Latvia - he doesn't back check and he doesn't create plays for his line mates like Crosby. Same goes for Thornton and Staal, although Thornton seemed to do just enough each game to keep himself out of the dog house. All in all, it's such a short tournament. Two pointless games is such a small sample size. This happens all the time in the NHL.
They were both elimination games. You can't use the "small sample size" argument for The Golden Boy and not apply it to everyone else. Double-standard.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
BlackAces*

Uh-oh, Caps/Ovechkin fan meltdown in progress!

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
They were both elimination games. You can't use the "small sample size" argument for The Golden Boy and not apply it to everyone else. Double-standard.
You have to realize that players don't get points every game. Crosby is bringing tons to the table and is still creating chances. Did you see the passes he made last night to his line mates? The pass he made from his knees against Russia? His line mates aren't finishing. If you can't see that then fine. Some will always find reasons to hate certain players.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
at least he is still playing !!!! lol

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
I think Pronger and Perry were called out though early in this tournament. Perry has really stepped it up since his lazy play in the US game. Pronger is playing maybe a bit better, but he has seen his ice time drop big time.

Great players, like Crosby, find ways to help a team when they aren't putting up points. Aside from Ovechkin's big hit, he did nothing in this tournament other than score 2 goals against Latvia - he doesn't back check and he doesn't create plays for his line mates like Crosby. Same goes for Thornton and Staal, although Thornton seemed to do just enough each game to keep himself out of the dog house. All in all, it's such a short tournament. Two pointless games is such a small sample size. This happens all the time in the NHL.
for the same reasons people are saying crosby can't be critisized for his game, is what should be said about thornton to. he's setting up his line mates also but they just can't seem to put the puck into the back of the net.

he's playing good defensively, back checking, he's been forechecking hard. when he gets the puck on his stick he's just been making the right plays to get the puck to open players.

both thornton and crosby hasn't been dominate. but that is the great thing about team canada, they don't need 1 or 2 players to dominate a game. they have so much depth that if every one plays a good sound hockey game, they will beat every one in the tournament.

and about thornton some more, you would think if he was as bad as HF board members say he has been, then the coach wouldn't keep saying the sharks line has been one of the best lines all tournament long. babcock has not once said a bad word about the sharks line. he's said other lines need to step up and help the sharks line out after the 1st few games. which they finally did after the usa game.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:35 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
You have to realize that players don't get points every game. Crosby is bringing tons to the table and is still creating chances. Did you see the passes he made last night to his line mates? The pass he made from his knees against Russia? His line mates aren't finishing. If you can't see that then fine. Some will always find reasons to hate certain players.
I'm not hating by pointing out the double-standards in your "sample size" logic. He's been the 5th-7th best Canadian player.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
I'm not hating by pointing out the double-standards in your "sample size" logic. He's been the 5th-7th best Canadian player.
thats good enough...... Go CANADA

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Well, at least the "Golden Boy" is still playing in the GOLD MEDAL game, right?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
for the same reasons people are saying crosby can't be critisized for his game, is what should be said about thornton to. he's setting up his line mates also but they just can't seem to put the puck into the back of the net.

he's playing good defensively, back checking, he's been forechecking hard. when he gets the puck on his stick he's just been making the right plays to get the puck to open players.

both thornton and crosby hasn't been dominate. but that is the great thing about team canada, they don't need 1 or 2 players to dominate a game. they have so much depth that if every one plays a good sound hockey game, they will beat every one in the tournament.

and about thornton some more, you would think if he was as bad as HF board members say he has been, then the coach wouldn't keep saying the sharks line has been one of the best lines all tournament long. babcock has not once said a bad word about the sharks line. he's said other lines need to step up and help the sharks line out after the 1st few games. which they finally did after the usa game.
I think people were quick to hate on Thornton because of his history of not stepping up in the playoffs.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I said Crosby wasn't putting up points like many stars in this tournament, but he was still doing the small things that those same stars weren't doing. I didn't criticize Ovechkin, Thornton or Sedin for not putting up points, I just pointed out that they were putting up similar or lesser numbers. That's why I said it was a small sample size and you shouldn't judge a player based on 2 games.

Anyways, Crosby has 3 goals, and 3 assists in this tournament. Not too bad at all. But I guess with your logic Demitra is the better player.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Who said he was supposed to be the best one there to begin with though? You'd think that one of the advantages of playing on a team full of all-stars is the fact that you aren't expected to be carrying the load like you would for your respective NHL team. I think very few Canadian fans will be complaining over the fact that everyone on this team is contributing, and not just 2-3 players.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
ronnyweed

he doesnt have to be the best player on the team, this isnt the NHL

everyone on canada is a star forward, so not all 13 are gonna score every night, get over it

Babcock would be line shuffling to find crosby the right linemates if this was an NHL team, but the fact is other lines are scoring so he doesnt have to do that

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:45 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I think people were quick to hate on Thornton because of his history of not stepping up in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I said Crosby wasn't putting up points like many stars in this tournament, but he was still doing the small things that those same stars weren't doing.

Anyways, Crosby has 3 goals, and 3 assists in this tournament. Not too bad at all. But I guess with your logic Demitra is the better player.
I'd ask you to give examples, but I know what you're implying and just disagree.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
I'd ask you to give examples, but I know what you're implying and just disagree.
I'll provide them anyways. Back checking, winning faceoffs, strong play along the boards, setting up his line mates, and taking pressure of the other lines by facing the top defensive units from each team.

If you want to ignore those things, then so be it. It's one thing to dislike a player and another to have blind disrespect for one of the best players in the world.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I'll provide them anyways. Back checking, winning faceoffs, strong play along the boards, setting up his line mates, and taking pressure of the other lines by facing the top defensive units from each team.

If you want to ignore those things, then so be it. It's one thing to dislike a player and another to have blind disrespect for one of the best players in the world.
You described things that every Canadian player has been doing and took the opportunity in your previous post to suggest "some stars" weren't...please. No one is being disrespected.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Shoofyou10

A thread set up specifically to bash Crosby. Oh goodie.

I think he has played fine. He was really good in round robin I thought but hasnt really stood out too much in the elimination games.

I mean Ovechkin and Malkin didnt play great either (I thought Ovie was invisable against Canada and Malkin stood out for the wrong reasons). But it doesnt mean that they all arent world class talents.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Crosby hasn't performed like Crosby to this point in the tournament. That being said, he has played well. And remember....., there is 1 more game to be played. I expect Crosby will ratchet up his play for the big show tomorrow.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
If you need him to provide you with examples, then that means you obviously haven't been watching many of the games (other than the one against the U.S. perhaps), which thus leads me to believe that your assessment of Sid's play is of course based purely on stats rather than anything else.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
cenas*

Crosby is a not just a 100 points guy.. he is also a grinder.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Crosby?

Just an underperforming, overhyped baby who's teams coincidentally keep ending up in Stanley Cup Finals and Gold Medal games.

(Whoops! I bought the inane HF meme for a nanosecond. Now back to reality. )

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I don't have any quibble with your basic points or your previous post, but I would say, that fairly or unfairly, Crosby doesn't come with Sakic/Yzerman expectations, he comes with Gretzky/Lemieux expectations. He's had a decent Olympics so far, but he has been something of a disappointment nonetheless.
Keep in mind that Crosby's 22 and in his first international best-on-best, and neither Sakic nor Yzerman did as well in their first as Crosby's done in his. Hell, Yzerman's best is on par PPG-wise with Crosby's first.

Personally, I think Crosby will end up somewhere between Sakic/Yzerman and Gretzky/Lemieux when it's all said and done.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
NeilYoung

he's been solid mostly
I've been surprised with his defensive game though when I watch him in Pittsburgh he's near perfect but over the last couple games positionally he's been iffy on some plays.. and not making smart plays on the transition sometimes
I'll be happy if he just shoots the puck more next game

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
robbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post

lmao, this about sums up his Olympic performance thus far

robbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote