HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
  #151
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,204
vCash: 500
Edit***


Last edited by EroCaps: 02-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.
EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
  #152
BlackAces*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
What planet are you living on?
Earth, what planet are you living on?

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
  #153
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I think Pronger and Perry were called out though early in this tournament. Perry has really stepped it up since his lazy play in the US game. Pronger is playing maybe a bit better, but he has seen his ice time drop big time.

Great players, like Crosby, find ways to help a team when they aren't putting up points. Aside from Ovechkin's big hit, he did nothing in this tournament other than score 2 goals against Latvia - he doesn't back check and he doesn't create plays for his line mates like Crosby. Same goes for Thornton and Staal, although Thornton seemed to do just enough each game to keep himself out of the dog house. All in all, it's such a short tournament. Two pointless games is such a small sample size. This happens all the time in the NHL.
They were both elimination games. You can't use the "small sample size" argument for The Golden Boy and not apply it to everyone else. Double-standard.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
  #154
BlackAces*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
Uh-oh, Caps/Ovechkin fan meltdown in progress!

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
  #155
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They were both elimination games. You can't use the "small sample size" argument for The Golden Boy and not apply it to everyone else. Double-standard.
You have to realize that players don't get points every game. Crosby is bringing tons to the table and is still creating chances. Did you see the passes he made last night to his line mates? The pass he made from his knees against Russia? His line mates aren't finishing. If you can't see that then fine. Some will always find reasons to hate certain players.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
  #156
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They were both elimination games. You can't use the "small sample size" argument for The Golden Boy and not apply it to everyone else. Double-standard.
at least he is still playing !!!! lol

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
  #157
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I think Pronger and Perry were called out though early in this tournament. Perry has really stepped it up since his lazy play in the US game. Pronger is playing maybe a bit better, but he has seen his ice time drop big time.

Great players, like Crosby, find ways to help a team when they aren't putting up points. Aside from Ovechkin's big hit, he did nothing in this tournament other than score 2 goals against Latvia - he doesn't back check and he doesn't create plays for his line mates like Crosby. Same goes for Thornton and Staal, although Thornton seemed to do just enough each game to keep himself out of the dog house. All in all, it's such a short tournament. Two pointless games is such a small sample size. This happens all the time in the NHL.
for the same reasons people are saying crosby can't be critisized for his game, is what should be said about thornton to. he's setting up his line mates also but they just can't seem to put the puck into the back of the net.

he's playing good defensively, back checking, he's been forechecking hard. when he gets the puck on his stick he's just been making the right plays to get the puck to open players.

both thornton and crosby hasn't been dominate. but that is the great thing about team canada, they don't need 1 or 2 players to dominate a game. they have so much depth that if every one plays a good sound hockey game, they will beat every one in the tournament.

and about thornton some more, you would think if he was as bad as HF board members say he has been, then the coach wouldn't keep saying the sharks line has been one of the best lines all tournament long. babcock has not once said a bad word about the sharks line. he's said other lines need to step up and help the sharks line out after the 1st few games. which they finally did after the usa game.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:35 PM
  #158
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
You have to realize that players don't get points every game. Crosby is bringing tons to the table and is still creating chances. Did you see the passes he made last night to his line mates? The pass he made from his knees against Russia? His line mates aren't finishing. If you can't see that then fine. Some will always find reasons to hate certain players.
I'm not hating by pointing out the double-standards in your "sample size" logic. He's been the 5th-7th best Canadian player.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
  #159
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'm not hating by pointing out the double-standards in your "sample size" logic. He's been the 5th-7th best Canadian player.
thats good enough...... Go CANADA

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
  #160
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They were both elimination games. You can't use the "small sample size" argument for The Golden Boy and not apply it to everyone else. Double-standard.
Well, at least the "Golden Boy" is still playing in the GOLD MEDAL game, right?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
  #161
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
for the same reasons people are saying crosby can't be critisized for his game, is what should be said about thornton to. he's setting up his line mates also but they just can't seem to put the puck into the back of the net.

he's playing good defensively, back checking, he's been forechecking hard. when he gets the puck on his stick he's just been making the right plays to get the puck to open players.

both thornton and crosby hasn't been dominate. but that is the great thing about team canada, they don't need 1 or 2 players to dominate a game. they have so much depth that if every one plays a good sound hockey game, they will beat every one in the tournament.

and about thornton some more, you would think if he was as bad as HF board members say he has been, then the coach wouldn't keep saying the sharks line has been one of the best lines all tournament long. babcock has not once said a bad word about the sharks line. he's said other lines need to step up and help the sharks line out after the 1st few games. which they finally did after the usa game.
I think people were quick to hate on Thornton because of his history of not stepping up in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'm not hating by pointing out the double-standards in your "sample size" logic. He's been the 5th-7th best Canadian player.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I said Crosby wasn't putting up points like many stars in this tournament, but he was still doing the small things that those same stars weren't doing. I didn't criticize Ovechkin, Thornton or Sedin for not putting up points, I just pointed out that they were putting up similar or lesser numbers. That's why I said it was a small sample size and you shouldn't judge a player based on 2 games.

Anyways, Crosby has 3 goals, and 3 assists in this tournament. Not too bad at all. But I guess with your logic Demitra is the better player.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
  #162
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'm not hating by pointing out the double-standards in your "sample size" logic. He's been the 5th-7th best Canadian player.
Who said he was supposed to be the best one there to begin with though? You'd think that one of the advantages of playing on a team full of all-stars is the fact that you aren't expected to be carrying the load like you would for your respective NHL team. I think very few Canadian fans will be complaining over the fact that everyone on this team is contributing, and not just 2-3 players.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
  #163
ronnyweed
Registered User
 
ronnyweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,703
vCash: 500
he doesnt have to be the best player on the team, this isnt the NHL

everyone on canada is a star forward, so not all 13 are gonna score every night, get over it

Babcock would be line shuffling to find crosby the right linemates if this was an NHL team, but the fact is other lines are scoring so he doesnt have to do that

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:45 PM
  #164
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I think people were quick to hate on Thornton because of his history of not stepping up in the playoffs.



I'm not sure what you are talking about. I said Crosby wasn't putting up points like many stars in this tournament, but he was still doing the small things that those same stars weren't doing.

Anyways, Crosby has 3 goals, and 3 assists in this tournament. Not too bad at all. But I guess with your logic Demitra is the better player.
I'd ask you to give examples, but I know what you're implying and just disagree.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
  #165
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'd ask you to give examples, but I know what you're implying and just disagree.
I'll provide them anyways. Back checking, winning faceoffs, strong play along the boards, setting up his line mates, and taking pressure of the other lines by facing the top defensive units from each team.

If you want to ignore those things, then so be it. It's one thing to dislike a player and another to have blind disrespect for one of the best players in the world.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
  #166
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I'll provide them anyways. Back checking, winning faceoffs, strong play along the boards, setting up his line mates, and taking pressure of the other lines by facing the top defensive units from each team.

If you want to ignore those things, then so be it. It's one thing to dislike a player and another to have blind disrespect for one of the best players in the world.
You described things that every Canadian player has been doing and took the opportunity in your previous post to suggest "some stars" weren't...please. No one is being disrespected.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
  #167
Shoofyou10
Registered User
 
Shoofyou10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
A thread set up specifically to bash Crosby. Oh goodie.

I think he has played fine. He was really good in round robin I thought but hasnt really stood out too much in the elimination games.

I mean Ovechkin and Malkin didnt play great either (I thought Ovie was invisable against Canada and Malkin stood out for the wrong reasons). But it doesnt mean that they all arent world class talents.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
  #168
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,864
vCash: 500
Crosby hasn't performed like Crosby to this point in the tournament. That being said, he has played well. And remember....., there is 1 more game to be played. I expect Crosby will ratchet up his play for the big show tomorrow.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
  #169
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'd ask you to give examples, but I know what you're implying and just disagree.
If you need him to provide you with examples, then that means you obviously haven't been watching many of the games (other than the one against the U.S. perhaps), which thus leads me to believe that your assessment of Sid's play is of course based purely on stats rather than anything else.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
  #170
cenas*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500


Crosby is a not just a 100 points guy.. he is also a grinder.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
  #171
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,882
vCash: 500
Crosby?

Just an underperforming, overhyped baby who's teams coincidentally keep ending up in Stanley Cup Finals and Gold Medal games.

(Whoops! I bought the inane HF meme for a nanosecond. Now back to reality. )

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
  #172
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 46,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I don't have any quibble with your basic points or your previous post, but I would say, that fairly or unfairly, Crosby doesn't come with Sakic/Yzerman expectations, he comes with Gretzky/Lemieux expectations. He's had a decent Olympics so far, but he has been something of a disappointment nonetheless.
Keep in mind that Crosby's 22 and in his first international best-on-best, and neither Sakic nor Yzerman did as well in their first as Crosby's done in his. Hell, Yzerman's best is on par PPG-wise with Crosby's first.

Personally, I think Crosby will end up somewhere between Sakic/Yzerman and Gretzky/Lemieux when it's all said and done.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
  #173
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 500
he's been solid mostly
I've been surprised with his defensive game though when I watch him in Pittsburgh he's near perfect but over the last couple games positionally he's been iffy on some plays.. and not making smart plays on the transition sometimes
I'll be happy if he just shoots the puck more next game

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
  #174
robbs
Registered User
 
robbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post


Crosby is a not just a 100 points guy.. he is also a grinder.
lmao, this about sums up his Olympic performance thus far

robbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:46 PM
  #175
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post


Crosby is a not just a 100 points guy.. he is also a grinder.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.