HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 500
There are some people here who i think are giving crosby too much credit and there are those that also dont give him enough.. now i obviously dont know where i am because i cant judge myself but hes been "average" to me thus far...

to whoever said other players WERENT being called out.. they were.. especially getzlaf and perry.. they were called out and now they have started producing... the crosby line IMO has been invisble the last 2 games.. now thats fine when we're still winning hockey games.. but if we lose then that line better take the heat for it.. they are given the most TOI throughout the entire game but getzy's line which has been far MORE dominant the last 2 games are still not getting much ice time.. babcock you gotta do somethin about that...

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post

Crosby is a not just a 100 points guy.. he is also a grinder.
Quote:

No wonder he isn't doing very well
Thank you for your awesome contributions to this thread.

PensFanSince1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Thank you for your awesome contributions to this thread.
rofl diving like avery.. W00T

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

Crosby is a not just a 100 points guy... he is the youngest captain to lead his team to the SC...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
rofl diving like avery.. W00T
rofl off-topic dive-video spamming that we could do for lots of other stars...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach View Post
It's Iginla & Staal's fault, they aren't burying their chances from Crosby feeds, and they sure as hell aren't feeding Crosby for good chances.
This sounds familiar. Seriously, people need to stop blaming Crosby's linemates for his low point production. I could understand blaming the ones he plays with in Pittsburgh right now, but blaming Staal and Iginla? Nop. Crosby can score them himself too if he's that good. Stop using that linemate excuse.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

IMO he should be Canada's best player but he's been far from that in recent games. He's gotta step up his game against Amerikuh.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:33 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
There are some people here who i think are giving crosby too much credit and there are those that also dont give him enough.. now i obviously dont know where i am because i cant judge myself but hes been "average" to me thus far...

to whoever said other players WERENT being called out.. they were.. especially getzlaf and perry.. they were called out and now they have started producing... the crosby line IMO has been invisble the last 2 games.. now thats fine when we're still winning hockey games.. but if we lose then that line better take the heat for it.. they are given the most TOI throughout the entire game but getzy's line which has been far MORE dominant the last 2 games are still not getting much ice time.. babcock you gotta do somethin about that...
Well said.

It's somewhat annoying how you can't assess perhaps the best player in the NHL performance on the biggest stage of his career and not have the uber-Crosby supporters automically claim it's ridiculous bashing...

I honestly wonder sometimes if the default excuses are brought out even before the games are played -- it's linemates faults, it's the coaches fault, he's great defensively, he's a great on faceoffs he's playing against good players, he's a decoy....some of these things aren't true if you're actually watching the games. He's not solid defensively.

He's been merely average and I expected more from a player who is going to be be regarded as one of the greatest players of the last 15 years.

And the hyperbole response of "oh yeah, I guess Pit should cut Crosby too!" is ludicrous. I'm not suggesting he's a horrible player - it's legitimate question - how one of the best players of his era is playing in the biggest tournament of his career. It's based on these Olympic games to this point. How he plays when the NHL season resumes or in the playoffs has no bearing on what we are discussing -- his play in the Olympics.

By the way to the people who said Crosby must be playing well because Babcock isn't benching him, Babcock did make a point of calling out Crosby in the media conference after the game vs the USA, repeatedly pointing out that he was a minus 3.

I'm just seeing a lot of excuses. Some people think if people aren't praising him, they're mean bashers -- it's ridiculous. There were a lot of expectations coming into it and although everyone will have their own opinion, I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to say he's been disappointing compared to what they expected to see from him.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:34 PM
MR50goalscorer
Grabo nets 50 !

Quote:

pathetic

MR50goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Oyabun

Well, hockey is a team sport and he's playing short subs. I think Crosby has been solid.

He's showed his individual abilities on a few occasions. As I've understood it, the Crosby hype is insane in North America while being non-existant here so maybe that has something to do with my analysis but I don't think he's been weak enough to point it out. While he hasn't been a shining star on the team, he's done his job and deserve the jersey he's wearing.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:59 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
This sounds familiar. Seriously, people need to stop blaming Crosby's linemates for his low point production. I could understand blaming the ones he plays with in Pittsburgh right now, but blaming Staal and Iginla? Nop. Crosby can score them himself too if he's that good. Stop using that linemate excuse.
I'm using his current linemates as an excuse because it's making him go back to being a "pass first, shoot NEVER!" type of player again! I want Sid to go back to taking shots himself, just like he's been doing all season with the Pens! I know it feels good for him to have quality linemates for a change that can actually put the puck in the net, but at the same time I don't want him to forget that he's currently an NHL player that's on pace to shatter the 50 goal plateau this season!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:03 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
he's been solid mostly
I've been surprised with his defensive game though when I watch him in Pittsburgh he's near perfect but over the last couple games positionally he's been iffy on some plays.. and not making smart plays on the transition sometimes
I'll be happy if he just shoots the puck more next game
I think the fact that he's now playing amongst other superstars has allowed him to take a bit more risks in terms of his positioning and pinching, thus cause him to be less pre-occupied with the defensive aspect of his game. I've noticed that Sid has been a lot more aggressive on the forecheck with Canada than he has been all season with the Pens, hence why I feel as though his play in this tournament is very reminiscent of how he looked for the Pens during his first 2 seasons.

Old
02-27-2010, 05:04 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbs View Post
lmao, this about sums up his Olympic performance thus far
What? You mean successful?

Old
02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach View Post
It's Iginla & Staal's fault, they aren't burying their chances from Crosby feeds, and they sure as hell aren't feeding Crosby for good chances.
So the "linemates" excuse is STILL being used, despite having all-stars on both sides of him? Simply unreal. Crosby has been a non-factor the entire tournament, but luckily Canada's stacked so noone seems to be noticing (or talking about it...)

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
So the "linemates" excuse is STILL being used, despite having all-stars on both sides of him? Simply unreal. Crosby has been a non-factor the entire tournament, but luckily Canada's stacked so noone seems to be noticing (or talking about it...)
Once again, another poster that has barely watched enough of Canada's games to really give an educated assessment. I don't see how a guy that is producing at a PPG pace and has played solid hockey in all 3 zones is suddenly a "non-factor" in this entire tournament. The only difference in this case is that he's on an amazing team where he isn't the most noticable player on a team full of superstars.

Now if we're talking about your beloved Ovie...well then..

Old
02-27-2010, 05:17 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Just Stop, Crosby been solid unspectacular but most definitely solid gotta give the devil his due

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Once again, another poster that has barely watched enough of Canada's games to really give an educated assessment. I don't see how a guy that is producing at a PPG pace and has played solid hockey in all 3 zones is suddenly a "non-factor" in this entire tournament. The only difference in this case is that he's on an amazing team where he isn't the most noticable player on a team full of superstars.

Now if we're talking about your beloved Ovie...well then..

I have watched every Canadian game. He hasn't been very good defensively, and producing at a PPG when you play complete scrubs like Germany and Norway for half your games is not that impressive. Crosby has not been a top 5 forward for Canada in this tournament, that's just the fact of the matter.

Old
02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I have watched every Canadian game. He hasn't been very good defensively, and producing at a PPG when you play complete scrubs like Germany and Norway for half your games is not that impressive. Crosby has not been a top 5 forward for Canada in this tournament, that's just the fact of the matter.
This has nothing to do with you being an AO homer - right?

Nah...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Pittsburgh Pens*

Even as a huge Crosby fan, i'll say he's been average at best, he should Canada's top 3 player atleast but hasnt even been top 5. He just looks tenative out there. He's not receiving passes correctly, not seeing the ice as good he usually does. Sure he's working hard but not effective for the most part. Like for example yesterday, he skated around the defenseman(forgot who it was) in the first period and then went from backhand to forehand to put it right on Halak's pads, while staal was streaking on the left side with a wide open net if he had just made a pass to him. Like i said, at times trying to do too much, just not in snyc this tournament.

Pittsburgh Pens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:19 PM
daver

Quote:
How's your camera?

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pens View Post
Even as a huge Crosby fan, i'll say he's been average at best, he should Canada's top 3 player atleast but hasnt even been top 5. He just looks tenative out there. He's not receiving passes correctly, not seeing the ice as good he usually does. Sure he's working hard but not effective for the most part. Like for example yesterday, he skated around the defenseman(forgot who it was) in the first period and then went from backhand to forehand to put it right on Halak's pads, while staal was streaking on the left side with a wide open net if he had just made a pass to him. Like i said, at times trying to do too much, just not in snyc this tournament.
I agree with everything you have said except this part. When he first broke into the league he was creating chances himself, and for parts of this season he has finally shown that killer instinct again. But now that he is with good players, he has been over passing in a big way.

I played hockey for a long time and at a good level, and I HATE seeing people waste chances by shooting when they have players open. I'm all for passing to players for empty netters or when they are in a better position then you.

However Crosby has been forcing passes and plays. Take the 2-1 last night with Staal. He had the defensemen backing up towards Staal, and he fired a bullet pass that Staal had almost no chance of getting to. He should have continued with it and gone 1 on 1 with the goalie and deked him, or slid it over to Staal if the defencemen tried to cut down his space.

He has been very average in this tournament, and he could be doing alot more than he is. He has been held pointless in Canada's 2 biggest games, and wasn't within the top 5 players on his team in those games. Players who had more of an impact than him include Keith, Weber, Toews, Morrow, Getslaf, Perry, Neidermeyer, Boyle, Nash and there might be a few others.

He has not been bad, but he hasn't been very effective. If Canada wants to win tomorrow, their best players need to be exactly that. And Crosby is definitely Canada's best.

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:27 PM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
This has nothing to do with you being an AO homer - right?

Nah...
It doesn't at all. I've got no problem saying Ovie wasn't good either, but you won't see me coming up with some weak ass excuse like "well he contributed by drawing the other team's top defensive pairing!" So many of you guys have created a no-lose situation here. If Crosby doesn't produce then "you need to actually watch the games, he's been great, don't just look at the stat sheet" which would maybe be ok if I didn't watch every game and notice he's been missing. If he doesn't produce then "Staal and Iginla haven't been finishing their chances", or "he still contributes defensively" (even though his defensive play has been lacking). When that fails you guys turn to the "well he draws the top defensive pairings freeing up our other lines...what a player!" Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin have all been very average this entire tournament, just own up to it.

Old
02-27-2010, 06:34 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
He has scored in every close game including a game winner. He has also played great defense in every game. I guess he is suppose to cheat up ice and try to stack his stats against Germany instead.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Shwag33

Man people are so fickle its unbelievable. I'm a pens fan, but getzlaf is my favorite non-pen and all my friends know it. I got soooo much **** for how ****** getzlaf played in the first 3-4 games. He has been decent for 1.5 games and now he's better than sid and needs more icetime.

Shwag33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
Well said.

It's somewhat annoying how you can't assess perhaps the best player in the NHL performance on the biggest stage of his career and not have the uber-Crosby supporters automically claim it's ridiculous bashing...

I honestly wonder sometimes if the default excuses are brought out even before the games are played -- it's linemates faults, it's the coaches fault, he's great defensively, he's a great on faceoffs he's playing against good players, he's a decoy....some of these things aren't true if you're actually watching the games. He's not solid defensively.

He's been merely average and I expected more from a player who is going to be be regarded as one of the greatest players of the last 15 years.

And the hyperbole response of "oh yeah, I guess Pit should cut Crosby too!" is ludicrous. I'm not suggesting he's a horrible player - it's legitimate question - how one of the best players of his era is playing in the biggest tournament of his career. It's based on these Olympic games to this point. How he plays when the NHL season resumes or in the playoffs has no bearing on what we are discussing -- his play in the Olympics.

By the way to the people who said Crosby must be playing well because Babcock isn't benching him, Babcock did make a point of calling out Crosby in the media conference after the game vs the USA, repeatedly pointing out that he was a minus 3.

I'm just seeing a lot of excuses. Some people think if people aren't praising him, they're mean bashers -- it's ridiculous. There were a lot of expectations coming into it and although everyone will have their own opinion, I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to say he's been disappointing compared to what they expected to see from him.
I am an uber-Crosby supporter, I admit, and I have used a lot of excuses when his game has not quite been there.

If I am being honest, though, I want to see more out of him tomorrow in the gold medal game. He has stopped shooting, which is why he has had such a successful year in Pittsburgh this year. Yes, he is doing some things well, but his main job is to produce quality chances, and I think he has fallena bit short in that goal.

I'm trying to put myself in his position, though, and it has to be intimidating to decide to take the shot when you have a guy like Iginla on your wing. Especially at 22. I know we take for granted that he should be calm, since he has all of this big-game experience, and has been in the public eye for so long.

The truth is, he's probably gripping his stick a little too tight, and he needs to just play the game that got him 42 goals so far this year.

When I was 22, I was drinking beer until I passed out every second night, so it's tough to be critical, but I want a big game tomorrow.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote