HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hot Stove Session With Tambo/Laforge

Old
02-27-2010, 12:13 AM
bellagiobob

vCash: 500
Hot Stove Session With Tambo/Laforge

Looks like the Oil are having a bit of a hot stove session for season ticket holders on March 5th and 6th at a couple downtown hotels. The invite says it is a 'special gathering where they will provide updates on the future direction of the Oilers and the Edmonton Arena District.'

Probably the usual fluff that we have already heard, but there is free food, so I may as well go. Doesn't say if they are taking questions, or if we will have to put on muzzles and bark collars when we enter the hotel, just in case we say something negative.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Giant Moo

If it's March 5th it's post-trade deadline. I just hope whoever gets "invited" is not limited to the two kings of softball, Messrs. Stauffer and Tencer.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:21 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
The best thing sth could do is boycott this dog and pony show en masse. That will send the best message. Anything else is just supporting the status quo.

Let them give their regurgitated pap to a bunch of empty chairs.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:41 AM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The best thing sth could do is boycott this dog and pony show en masse. That will send the best message. Anything else is just supporting the status quo.

You will not accept that this team is trying to change. You don't want a quick rebuild, but your impatience suggest otherwise. What if we were to move out some of underachieving overpaid veterans and cut some cap space? This meeting takes place after the TDD. I think it takes balls to put yourself in front of the firing line.

I'll reserve judgment on Tambo and the Oilers after this summer. If we're still spinning our tires with same old retreads I'll take back everything and fight your fight, otherwise I'm going take our GM's word and believe that he wants to build a winner.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
You will not accept that this team is trying to change. You don't want a quick rebuild, but your impatience suggest otherwise. What if we were to move out some of underachieving overpaid veterans and cut some cap space? This meeting takes place after the TDD. I think it takes balls to put yourself in front of the firing line.
Trying to change how? There is no evidence that they are doing anything at all. They have mentioned the "rebuild" word only recently in an attempt to save face when confronted by finishing last in the league.

Tambellini has done nothing different from his predecessor. Still swinging for the fences in the summer, still signing horrible contracts. They have done zero to improve this team going forward. If I see incompetence and want it dealt with that somehow makes me impatient?

If anyone is impatient it is our management. They have demonstrated over the last five years that they are unwilling to make moves that will benefit the team in the future. Instead they make moves they think will benefit the team in the present, sometimes foresaking the future.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 02-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Laforge is all about spin (marketing) If this team is performing there would be no need for marketing. So you figure it out fans in this city are smart enough to know when management is doing the right thing or trying at least whether it is trading or not we don't need a feel good spin imo

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:

Not going would be just childish. We plan on going and listening to what they have to say. I'm expecting to learn as much from this as I do on here.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:11 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Trying to change how? There is no evidence that they are doing anything at all. They have mentioned the "rebuild" word only recently in an attempt to save face when confronted by finishing last in the league.

Tambellini has done nothing different from his predecessor. Still swinging for the fences in the summer, still signing horrible contracts. They have done zero to improve this team going forward. If I see incompetence and want it dealt with that somehow makes me impatient?

If anyone is impatient it is our management. They have demonstrated over the last five years that they are unwilling to make moves that will benefit the team in the future. Instead they make moves they think will benefit the team in the present, sometimes foresaking the future.

I'm looking at Tambellini's tenure with some rose color glasses. Maybe he doesn't fully deserve it, but he shouldn't be chewed out just yet.

Last summer the management team thought they could be contenders with Heatley. In all likelihood we would of been in the playoff hunt with #15 and a healthy Oilers squad. Khabby was a risky signing and I'm not writing him off yet either. In their minds it was likely easier to trade for a superstar than try to move some ridiculously overpriced contracts.

Fast forward 6 months since TC. The team is in last place. We're going to gain a potential star player very soon who we can groom and build around. There is a nice compliment of young players in the organization, but we still have the overpriced veterans. Tambo has obviously decided and correctly so that we need the rebuild.

I honestly think that he's going to move out some of veterans plus a smurf or two by the Entry Draft and reconstruct this team. If he fails to do that, then I will start to ask for his job, but not before.

Plan A failed, but the silver lining is a highly regarded prospect.

Plan B is in effect. Now it's a waiting game and we need some proper development for our prospects.

I think we could see a 2-3 year turnaround where we are battling for a playoff spot again. The difference being from the mediocrity we've seen for the last decade plus will be that the team will be growing not plateauing.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
Not going would be just childish. We plan on going and listening to what they have to say. I'm expecting to learn as much from this as I do on here.
If no one showed up it would send a huge message. Save yourself the gas and spend your time doing something you enjoy. I wouldnt go across the street to listen to Laforge. Tambellini will just rehash what he has already said on the radio. And really who cares what they say at this point? Talk is cheap.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
If no one showed up it would send a huge message. Save yourself the gas and spend your time doing something you enjoy. I wouldnt go across the street to listen to Laforge. Tambellini will just rehash what he has already said on the radio. And really who cares what they say at this point? Talk is cheap.
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Although I'm not holding my breath that any thing new or exciting will be said. But hey, it's a free lunch. Sort of like going to one of those time share things. You pretty much know what their going to say, but you go for your hour and get your gift, or free food, or whatever the promo is.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
If it's March 5th it's post-trade deadline. I just hope whoever gets "invited" is not limited to the two kings of softball, Messrs. Stauffer and Tencer.

I have yet to hear or see any of the edmonton media who have had either Lowe or tambs on step up and take them to the wall for this year--Lowe and Tambs learned from the previous white house guy-only take questions from guys who will ask you easy questions

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Andrew B

I can't talk for all season ticket holders, but this season was made unbearable not by the losing, but by the complete lack of communication. I believe this to be the case with many fans. So by me not accepting this offer it makes me a complete hypocrite.

I plan on attending, if they say nothing, fine, but I would rather here it for myself so that I can make an informed decision on my relationship with the Oilers organization moving forward as opposed to hearing about it from Radio & Internet blow-hards who act like 12 year olds who had there favorite toy taken away from them by their parents.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:19 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
I can't talk for all season ticket holders, but this season was made unbearable not by the losing, but by the complete lack of communication. I believe this to be the case with many fans. So by me not accepting this offer it makes me a complete hypocrite.

I plan on attending, if they say nothing, fine, but I would rather here it for myself so that I can make an informed decision on my relationship with the Oilers organization moving forward as opposed to hearing about it from Radio & Internet blow-hards who act like 12 year olds who had there favorite toy taken away from them by their parents.
I would prefer not be a ewe and speak with my actions of not going or even listening to it. How again do these guys deserve a second or third chance apparently I'm missing something please fill me in

Old
02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
I would prefer not be a ewe and speak with my actions of not going or even listening to it. How again do these guys deserve a second or third chance apparently I'm missing something please fill me in
I guess the point is that being as well informed as you can is usually not a bad idea. I have had season tickets for a long time, and want all the info I can gather before making the decision if I am going to renew. Burying my head in the sand isn't going to help in my decision making process. The communication process has been so poor between the team and the fans this year, that the least one can do is listen when the opportunity presents itself.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:37 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
I guess the point is that being as well informed as you can is usually not a bad idea. I have had season tickets for a long time, and want all the info I can gather before making the decision if I am going to renew. Burying my head in the sand isn't going to help in my decision making process. The communication process has been so poor between the team and the fans this year, that the least one can do is listen when the opportunity presents itself.
Fair enough it would nice if you actually had a voice at these events or at least able to ask some tough questions all season tickets should be allowed that right. Then if enough people stand up and communicate their displeasure then maybe they'll be forced to make the appropriate changes now that would be refreshing

Old
02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Fair enough it would nice if you actually had a voice at these events or at least able to ask some tough questions all season tickets should be allowed that right. Then if enough people stand up and communicate their displeasure then maybe they'll be forced to make the appropriate changes now that would be refreshing
How do we know what changes they are planning to make? I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to invent a fly on the wall that can record all the organizations doings.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Soundwave

What's to communicate?

They thought they could make this a 6th-8th seed type playoff team by adding Heatley + Khabby and pairing that with some of the kids, ala adding Pronger + Roloson to a young group with some vets mixed in.

That fell through, and then the Khabby + Hemsky injuries basically gutted any chance of playoff contention.

So they're tanking for the season.

All this is rather obvious, why fans need to have this spelled out for them is beyond me. No GM is ever going to say straight out that they're tanking on purpose.

Tambellini, like him or not, said everything he needed to say by not pursuing a veteran goalie for the rest of the season.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:45 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
How do we know what changes they are planning to make? I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to invent a fly on the wall that can record all the organizations doings.
That's tue but until they actually do something positive to show us what direction there going in. I'll not give them the benefit of doubt

Old
02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
They told us there was going to be changes at the end of last season. Then they went out and did the same old song and dance they have done for the last three or four off-seasons.

Do you really believe anything they tell you at this point? If so, I would be interested in hearing why.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

It's too early to harp on Tambo. Laforge is a tool any day of the week. I don't know why he's there at all. But if this happens after the trade deadline, it may very well be an opportunity to hear why Tambo did what he did (if he does anything) at the deadline, and what his vision is for the future.

Saying you're not going to go, and don't bother hearing him speak only shows a blatant bias, which renders any possibility for reasonable debate void.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
It's too early to harp on Tambo. Laforge is a tool any day of the week. I don't know why he's there at all. But if this happens after the trade deadline, it may very well be an opportunity to hear why Tambo did what he did (if he does anything) at the deadline, and what his vision is for the future.

Saying you're not going to go, and don't bother hearing him speak only shows a blatant bias, which renders any possibility for reasonable debate void.
Its not too early to question Tambellini at all. He has had the better part of two seasons here now. And yet he told us as late as January that he is in the process of evaluating who wants to be here or not. Are you serious?

Saying you arent going sends a message to management. Showing up to listen to their empty promises supports the status quo. Sounds like you have your own bias, so I dont get how you get off telling others that their bias renders any debate void.

Old
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

As long as the cash rolls in Laforge ,Lowe, Ect ect stays there inlays the problem

Old
02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Showing up to listen to their empty promises supports the status quo.
No. If after attending the event I feel that they offered no plan and no direction, and if I renew my season tickets, then I am supporting the status quo. You and I can assume that nothing new will come out of this, but what's an hour out of my life when I have supported this team for over 30 years. It is 50/50 whether I will renew, so I want to make an informed decision. Trust me, it's not easy giving up on something that you have faithfully attended for 30+ years.

Old
02-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
No. If after attending the event I feel that they offered no plan and no direction, and if I renew my season tickets, then I am supporting the status quo. You and I can assume that nothing new will come out of this, but what's an hour out of my life when I have supported this team for over 30 years. It is 50/50 whether I will renew, so I want to make an informed decision. Trust me, it's not easy giving up on something that you have faithfully attended for 30+ years.
What are you looking for them to say? Are you really going to base a decision like this on the blatherings of Patrick Laforge? This is going to be a prepared statement not unlike what we have already heard. If you supported the team in the mid to late nineties and during the sell off years why would you pick now not to renew?

Surely even this doesnt compare to those days.

Old
02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
What are you looking for them to say? Are you really going to base a decision like this on the blatherings of Patrick Laforge? This is going to be a prepared statement not unlike what we have already heard. If you supported the team in the mid to late nineties and during the sell off years why would you pick now not to renew?

Surely even this doesnt compare to those days.
So for the record, have you been invited?

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote