HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hot Stove Session With Tambo/Laforge

Old
02-27-2010, 04:34 PM
mactforcoach

vCash: 500
You can never have too much information. As a concerned season ticket holder, I want to hear what they have to say. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad, but it will be my take on it, not someone that just has an axe to grind on here. Besides, if the Oilers want to spring for my lunch, the day before my son's wedding, why not? We have held off sending our money for next year, and this is just a bit more information.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:43 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What are you looking for them to say? Are you really going to base a decision like this on the blatherings of Patrick Laforge? This is going to be a prepared statement not unlike what we have already heard. If you supported the team in the mid to late nineties and during the sell off years why would you pick now not to renew?

Surely even this doesnt compare to those days.
Of course I'm not basing my decision entirely on what I hear at the lunch. But what I hear will hopefully help in whatever decision I make. You say it is going to be a prepared statement. Guess we'll find out what they say. Will there be a time for questions? Maybe. Maybe not. Again, I could just ***** on this site like a lot of people do, or I can go and possibly ask some questions. Will find out the format when I get there.

I was close to not renewing in the dark days of the 90's, but hung in there. What's changed now? Lots. Family. Economy. Etc. But the biggest reason why I might not renew is lack of faith in management. I will continue to support the team if I believe that management has a plan and is capable of executing it. If not, then I will reluctantly give up my seats.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:54 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
So for the record, have you been invited?
No I dont have the means to afford season tickets. I go when I can, usually five to ten games a year, ppv, merchandise etc. However I have pledged not to spend another dime until Lowe and Tambellini are replaced.

Until people speak with their wallets then I am afraid that things will be allowed to continue as is.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Oiler fans should put away the pitchforks and torches until this Frankenstein of a management team does or doesn't do something at trade deadline and over the summer. If, come September, we see the same problems, then it will be time to pour the boiling pitch over the wall and state to the Kinigits that their Mother was a hamster and their Father does, indeed, smell of elderberries

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Oiler fans should put away the pitchforks and torches until this Frankenstein of a management team does or doesn't do something at trade deadline and over the summer. If, come September, we see the same problems, then it will be time to pour the boiling pitch over the wall and state to the Kinigits that their Mother was a hamster and their Father does, indeed, smell of elderberries
Unfortunately we need to make the decision to renew our season tickets before September. Would be nice to wait that long.

Old
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Forsburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Unfortunately we need to make the decision to renew our season tickets before September. Would be nice to wait that long.
Did they raise season ticket prices for next season?

Forsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsburger View Post
Did they raise season ticket prices for next season?
Our tickets have seen a slight increase. Not sure if every ticket range was increased.

Old
02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No I dont have the means to afford season tickets. I go when I can, usually five to ten games a year, ppv, merchandise etc. However I have pledged not to spend another dime until Lowe and Tambellini are replaced.

Until people speak with their wallets then I am afraid that things will be allowed to continue as is.
Until I gather as much info as possible, from as many credible sources as possible, my wallet reserves judgement.

Lets face it, you wanted MacT's head, you and others got it. The only change was the team got worse. Now you want Lowe and Tambo run out of town. And replaced with who? Quinn? God help us if that ever happens. I'm giving them this off season to show some actual improvement in the make up of the team. Next season my wallet will speak for sure, one way or the other.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
You can never have too much information. As a concerned season ticket holder, I want to hear what they have to say. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad, but it will be my take on it, not someone that just has an axe to grind on here. Besides, if the Oilers want to spring for my lunch, the day before my son's wedding, why not? We have held off sending our money for next year, and this is just a bit more information.
Not true at all. It all depends on the quality.

The only thing worse than no information is misinformation.

These kind of scripted PR events that Katz is fond of aren't condusive to adding anything real or new to the debate.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
bellagiobob

Should be an interesting lunch. Torches and pitchforks must be checked upon entry to the hotel...

Old
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I am the Liquor

So? How do the sth's feel now?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Ya what kind of misinformation did they give out? Hope the lunch was worth it. Actually better yet I would have shown up just to bring my food to some homeless people and then take off.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM
bellagiobob

I wasn't able to attend the luncheon. Anybody that was able to go care to share how things went? Just curious if there were any questions from the fans or if it was just 'it's gonna be okay' feel good prepared speeches.

Old
03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Trizent

Good presentation. All questions were welcomed. Questions included Khabby's DUI, vision, players work ethic and attitude generally and specifically. Good food and good atmosphere.

There was a gentleman in a wheelchair who shared a pretty touching and awesome story about his dedication to the Oilers.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Good presentation. All questions were welcomed. Questions included Khabby's DUI, vision, players work ethic and attitude generally and specifically. Good food and good atmosphere.

There was a gentleman in a wheelchair who shared a pretty touching and awesome story about his dedication to the Oilers.
Okaaaayy.......any more details??

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
lescards

I was at this luncheon aswell. I thought Tambo was very open to criticism.

-The one thing that stood out to me was his comment on why the team doesn't seem to work as hard as it should. He felt that there wasn't the sense of urgency from the veterans because there isn't a cavalry of young prospects waiting in the minors deserving their jobs. Said their focus is to find these guys through the draft.

-Stated that instead of always looking at the skill set of an amateur (drafting) or pro player (trade or signing) he's making his scouts look for "Oiler" players. Examples he gave was community involvement, fitness, dedication, off-ice character etc.

-He stated that he will work deligently to"find the cancer" in this team and that the team isn't all bad. He said he wants the look for the players that love this team and feel dissapointed in this season rather than the ones who feel they had a good year on a bad hockey club.

-He said that he will not bring Eberle into this room this year. He said he doesn't need the pressure so he will play out the rest of the year in Springfield.

-Stated that every GM knew that Souray wanted a trade and thus his value decreased accordingly. Still had interest at the deadline in him.

-Said that he feels the same way as the fans. That we have an opportunity that we've never had (ie. 1st overall) but cannot publicly admit to this as he has a room full of 20 guys that he needs to see if they can compete. If he said this publicly it would give an excuse to throw in the towel.

-When pressed about Khabibulan he said that he would face team consequenses.

Alot of other little tidbits but these were the main ones. I' paraphrasing so if I misquoted I apologize. I wasn't there to slag these guys as I'm an Oiler fan. I just wanted to hear for myself that they are on the right track. I feel they are and they believe they are. His last comment was that formulating a plan is the easy part but sticking to it is the hard part and he has every intention of doing that. No more shortcuts but when the time is right they will look for adding the 7 million $ player they feel they need at that time.

lescards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:18 PM
40oz

Thanks lescards

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Giant Moo

The "find the cancer" part is definitely interesting.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescards View Post

-He stated that he will work deligently to"find the cancer" in this team and that the team isn't all bad. He said he wants the look for the players that love this team and feel dissapointed in this season rather than the ones who feel they had a good year on a bad hockey club.
So the question begs who loves being an Oiler?

I imagine Sam Gagner and possibly Tom Gilbert (from comments he wants to be here when things turn). Maybe Mike Comrie since he returned home and actually looks like he still wants to win some games between now and the end of the season and started the season like gangbusters before mono derailed him. Gilbert Brule? Ryan Poutulny? Zach Stortini? Marc Pouliot? Guys who know they have limited options elsewhere: like the proverbial geek whose dating a supermodel and knows his options fall off drastically when he walks out the door.

Not too many.

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike View Post
So the question begs who loves being an Oiler?

I imagine Sam Gagner and possibly Tom Gilbert (from comments he wants to be here when things turn). Maybe Mike Comrie since he returned home and actually looks like he still wants to win some games between now and the end of the season and started the season like gangbusters before mono derailed him. Gilbert Brule? Ryan Poutulny? Zach Stortini? Marc Pouliot? Guys who know they have limited options elsewhere: like the proverbial geek whose dating a supermodel and knows his options fall off drastically when he walks out the door.

Not too many.
You can add Smid to that list, IMO. He seems to love it here. JDD, maybe? Horcoff (prepares for flaming to commence) is an "Oiler" player love him or hate him.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:25 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
You can add Smid to that list, IMO. He seems to love it here. JDD, maybe? Horcoff (prepares for flaming to commence) is an "Oiler" player love him or hate him.
Didnt Smid request a trade, like twice? Because of playing time etc, but still.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Didnt Smid request a trade, like twice? Because of playing time etc, but still.
There were rumours of that, yes. I would still put him in that category, though. Since then he's been given an elevated role, and he's thrived and seems to enjoy himself a lot here, gets along with teammates (from what we can see).

On the "finding the cancer" comment, I find it interesting, because I think most fans would answer "Moreau" without batting an eye. This comment makes me think, maybe, it's not as obvious as Moreau and he isn't actually the main problem. Or they didn't want to throw him under the bus, one of the two.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
I'm inclined to say that most guys who are playing for their first franchise (drafted by the team or traded to it but never really played elsewhere) have a vested interest in the team and really want to take their success with the team to the next level.

After a few trades they become the hired, bitter mercenaries.

I think Horc also likes it here - no flaming from me -but I have to ask why? Is it because he's a big fish in a small pond worthy of being 5.5 million dollar man?

Old
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
There were rumours of that, yes. I would still put him in that category, though. Since then he's been given an elevated role, and he's thrived and seems to enjoy himself a lot here, gets along with teammates (from what we can see).

On the "finding the cancer" comment, I find it interesting, because I think most fans would answer "Moreau" without batting an eye. This comment makes me think, maybe, it's not as obvious as Moreau and he isn't actually the main problem. Or they didn't want to throw him under the bus, one of the two.
I think it's the culture of entitlement that pervades this team that's more at fault. Moreau is just a symptom of it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, some guys like being the big fish in a small pond here when they know they wouldn't get that elsewhere. Moreau has been a decent/solid NHLer most of his career (pre-captaincy). But he's still a fourth liner and probably would've been traded once or twice before now if it wasn't for him being a decent NHLer in the proverbial small market (especially true pre-lockout).

If you look back to when there was tons of infighting last season the core group of guys (Moreau, Horcoff, Staois and Pisani) all sat on the same side of the room. At the start of Mac-T's last season here he tried to shake things up and split those guys up. Before Christmas or just after Souray and Cole were on one side and the Four Musketeers (my phrasing) were reunited.

I think it boils down to what Tambellini said: having the youngsters coming up to push the vets to be at their best (on and off the ice). Management has some responsibility in making sure that these 3rd and 4th line vets aren't getting 4-6 year contract extensions: especially if they are making "market" money.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescards View Post
I was at this luncheon aswell. I thought Tambo was very open to criticism.

-The one thing that stood out to me was his comment on why the team doesn't seem to work as hard as it should. He felt that there wasn't the sense of urgency from the veterans because there isn't a cavalry of young prospects waiting in the minors deserving their jobs. Said their focus is to find these guys through the draft.

-Stated that instead of always looking at the skill set of an amateur (drafting) or pro player (trade or signing) he's making his scouts look for "Oiler" players. Examples he gave was community involvement, fitness, dedication, off-ice character etc.

-He said that he will not bring Eberle into this room this year. He said he doesn't need the pressure so he will play out the rest of the year in Springfield.

-Stated that every GM knew that Souray wanted a trade and thus his value decreased accordingly. Still had interest at the deadline in him.

-Said that he feels the same way as the fans. That we have an opportunity that we've never had (ie. 1st overall) but cannot publicly admit to this as he has a room full of 20 guys that he needs to see if they can compete. If he said this publicly it would give an excuse to throw in the towel.

-When pressed about Khabibulan he said that he would face team consequenses.

Alot of other little tidbits but these were the main ones. I' paraphrasing so if I misquoted I apologize. I wasn't there to slag these guys as I'm an Oiler fan. I just wanted to hear for myself that they are on the right track. I feel they are and they believe they are. His last comment was that formulating a plan is the easy part but sticking to it is the hard part and he has every intention of doing that. No more shortcuts but when the time is right they will look for adding the 7 million $ player they feel they need at that time.

Awesome post and great summary.
Thanks lescards!!

It's interesting that Tambo would mention the 'okay with losing' attitude. We definitely need players that HATE to lose and who push themselves harder to get better.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 03-06-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: No thank you.
Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote