HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hot Stove Session With Tambo/Laforge

Old
03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
lescards

vCash: 500
Thanks for the props Lobotomizer.

I forgot a couple little details in my last post I thought some might appreciate:

-Tambo did say that Jones is totally pumped to be an Oiler (mentioned this a couple times). Said it made him sick to his stomach to see the "player I won't mention by name" take him out. Said "Gary" and then retracted it by saying the NHL needs to address these guys on the ice for 2 mins a night taking cheapshots at vulnerable players.

-When asked about Hall or Seguin he stated many good things about both players. My feeling was that they may lean towards Hall because he stated numerous times he has a tenacity to get the puck back.(something I think this roster lacks) He also said that Fowler was like Brian Leech and that any team that gets him will be very happy.

-When asked about Jagr he said he couldn't "comment on that specific player as he is under contract" but that he liked the idea of bringing in a mentor for the young core. He said that all depends on how successful he will be in shedding salary before the draft...a definitive goal of his.

-He did say that any player with a No Movement Clause cannot be bought out as they have to be waived before this can happen.

-He said that he really wants to get MPS & Lander to contracts this summer and over to North America but that it's especially hard with Swedish players.

I think that's pretty much it. One thing I can personally say is this is definitely Tambo's team now. The question remains is he the guy to effect these changes?

lescards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
The "find the cancer" part is definitely interesting.
If he doesnt know by now I doubt he ever will. More likely that he doesnt want to address it openly, which he shouldnt.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Trizent

Another question is, Are the ticket base/fans okay if the plans means missing the playoffs next year? No one implied or mentioned this today, but just saying.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Oilerdiehard

I just wanted to throw in my thanks to lescards as well for this detailed report. It is much appreciated. There is a fair bit there to chew on and few candid comments that were very interesting.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Digger12

Seeing as fans are looking for reports from this luncheon, and in case there's people here that don't frequent LT's blog, here's a report from "DBO", for comparison's sake if nothing else:

Quote:
fun luncheaon with the big boys. a few points I found interesting:

- Tambellini got a bit fired up about players who think they are good and don't care about the team. i think it was a veiled reference to Hemsky. Tambe made a point of saying character is really important about 15 times.

- They really pushed the arena stuff. Calgary makes $20 mill more from their arena, vancouver $30 mill

- Old guy in my row asked the last question and questioned how small we are. made me laugh.

- Made a point about the injuries being the problem, nothing about team not being balanced

- Jagr was a question. Tamb said they'd only consider it if the player was a good fit and mentor.

- He outright said they will not chase the $7 mill player. he made it seem like everyone was clamoring for one and he was being pushed to do it. And now he won't listen to the clamour anymore!

- He talked about MPS and lander and mentioned he'd like to bring them over to experience the north american style of game, but not necessarily to the NHL level. He made a point of trying to temper our expectations for the kids coming in.

- And he mentioned being handcuffed by bad contracts which is why they had to move salary. And the moves made them younger and bigger.

Think that's the main points. Tambellini seemed to say the right things, but of course he said the right things last year as well.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Rafters

I could be wrong but I do not think there is a guy that is the Cancer in the room ........ my money would go on the fact that many of the vets feel that a lot of the kids have been given roles that should go to the vets....or the kids getting more icetime then vets..............or the kids thinking they are better then the vets and not listening to there opinions....... just feel there appears to be a rift between the kids and vets

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:08 PM
koeltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
I could be wrong but I do not think there is a guy that is the Cancer in the room ........ my money would go on the fact that many of the vets feel that a lot of the kids have been given roles that should go to the vets....or the kids getting more icetime then vets..............or the kids thinking they are better then the vets and not listening to there opinions....... just feel there appears to be a rift between the kids and vets
I couldn't agree more and I think Moreau was the guy hating on the kids more than anyone. He has to go IMO. Bad leader and an example I don't want for anymore Oiler rookies.

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Matador

I'm encouraged by his comments about looking for guys with character and who want to be here. It just comes off as somewhat refreshing after hearing year after year how we need to find a true goal scorer or a first line center. Sure we need those too, but it's come at the cost of character and leadership, which has slowly slipped away from this team.

To me anyways, its great to hear how pumped Jones is to be on this team. He seemed so enthusiastic about being an Oiler when interviewed, and it came across as being really infectious. Glad to hear Tambo confirm this.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescards View Post
-He stated that he will work diligently to"find the cancer" in this team and that the team isn't all bad. He said he wants the look for the players that love this team and feel disappointed in this season rather than the ones who feel they had a good year on a bad hockey club.
Based on this theme, I feel if we are to read between the lines and review the trades that were made, management and the coaches must have evaluated that Visnovsky must have been one of the player who felt they had a good year on a bad club. Based on the comments regarding his excitement towards coming to Edmonton, and his excitement regarding his potential leadership role, I'm glad we've received Whitney. My perspective is, when players who are proud of the crest they wear are surrounding each other, they exceed expectations, much like the 97-2000 Oilers teams, or this years Avalanche.

Quote:
-When pressed about Khabibulan he said that he would face team consequences.
I cannot think of any previous examples of said team consequences, aside from rumours being spread through the media resulting in players being booed out of town ala Arnott and the like. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
No more shortcuts but when the time is right they will look for adding the 7 million $ player they feel they need at that time.
I hope this means there will not be a Kovalchuk attempt. Who are some 7 million dollar players the Oilers could presumably chase 3 years down the road? Jordan Staal, Mike Richards, Parise?

Anyway, thanks for the detailed summary lescards, I appreciate it.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:52 PM
lescards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. What Tambo was responding to was a question in regards to "the cancer" and may not have meant it as such. I think what he was alluding to is the players that are currently on the roster that maybe don't want to be "Oiler" style players. Perhaps they are the veterans that do not see themselves here when this re-build comes to fruition. He did say that he will base his decisions on this roster when he has his end of the year interviews. Players that are content with their performance aren't players that he wants. Those that felt they did not meet personal and professional expectations but think this is a good team are the ones he wants to keep. That was my interpretation of his comments.

lescards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Cerebral

I hate to be a pessimist but I take anything Tambellini says with a grain of salt. He blabbed and blabbed last year about "changing the identity" of this team and he stated numerous times that he wanted to make this team "tough to play against."

Fast forward a few months to the start of the 2009-10 season and we have a team that is obviously undersized and not at all looking like the vision Steve outlined to fans. I think we're on the right track here in terms of trying to get rid of some of these contracts but I'll believe a lot of it when I see it.

03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I hate to be a pessimist but I take anything Tambellini says with a grain of salt. He blabbed and blabbed last year about "changing the identity" of this team and he stated numerous times that he wanted to make this team "tough to play against."

Fast forward a few months to the start of the 2009-10 season and we have a team that is obviously undersized and not at all looking like the vision Steve outlined to fans. I think we're on the right track here in terms of trying to get rid of some of these contracts but I'll believe a lot of it when I see it.
Are you saying Mike Comrie wasn't the answer?

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 11:20 PM
nafrelio

Q1 - Was there a clear description of the team vision/plan? I hear building through the draft, clearing out "troublemakers", and not going after expensive UFAs until the time is right. Any thing else?
Q2 - Was there a timeline at all? - ie. did he say that next year would be another tough year - that lots of youth would be on the roster, or that the rookies would play in the minors, etc.?

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Seeing as fans are looking for reports from this luncheon, and in case there's people here that don't frequent LT's blog, here's a report from "DBO", for comparison's sake if nothing else:
Quote:
Tambellini got a bit fired up about players who think they are good and don't care about the team. i think it was a veiled reference to Hemsky. Tambe made a point of saying character is really important about 15 times.
Wow, someone on Lowetide's blog taking a shot at Hemsky. I'm shocked, shocked.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:08 AM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post

He changed coaches.

He almost traded Edmonton's favorite whipping boy Dustin Penner for a bona-fide goal scorer in Dany Heatley.

At the start of the season before injuries set in, they played a bigger lineup than they had before adding JF Jacques and Stone. Every line played with size.

Our first round pick in '09 is a solid 6'1"/6'2", big body player.

He's jettisoned one overpriced vet and by the sounds of it wasn't opposed to dealing another two (Pisani and Moreau) along with a player who apparently didn't really want to be here (if you believe the Slovak newspapers) for a younger, bigger player who recently played for the Stanley Cup.

Just because it didn't result in a barrel of wins doesn't mean that he hasn't tried. In all fairness I think he's tried.

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike View Post
He changed coaches.

He almost traded Edmonton's favorite whipping boy Dustin Penner for a bona-fide goal scorer in Dany Heatley.

At the start of the season before injuries set in, they played a bigger lineup than they had before adding JF Jacques and Stone. Every line played with size.

Our first round pick in '09 is a solid 6'1"/6'2", big body player.

He's jettisoned one overpriced vet and by the sounds of it wasn't opposed to dealing another two (Pisani and Moreau) along with a player who apparently didn't really want to be here (if you believe the Slovak newspapers) for a younger, bigger player who recently played for the Stanley Cup.

Just because it didn't result in a barrel of wins doesn't mean that he hasn't tried. In all fairness I think he's tried.
Trying is great and all, but really only if you get some results, because hockey is ultimately a results-oriented business. But across the board, the results just have not been there for the organization, at any level, for a significant amount of time.

At some point serious change is needed, or we'll be enduring Groundhog Day with this management group indefinitely.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:38 AM
bellagiobob

Thanks to all for their observations. Much appreciated.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote