HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Rochester cutting seating for 2010

Old
02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Rochester cutting seating for 2010

Amerks are lowering capacity by about 2,800 by not selling tickets in the upper level sections behind one of the goals.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...or-next-season

No tickets will be sold in sections 211-217.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:17 AM
AdmiralPred

Interesting reasoning per the article...

"Gotta twist them [the fans] and [mess] with their head"

Slap Shot and Caddy Shack work on so many levels.

In either event maybe the capacity will be needed again in the future.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
sabrefan27

This has been a long time coming. If anyone has been to the renovated War Memorial, you can just see the mass amount of seats in those end sections, that are sparsely filled. It just spreads the crowd out and makes the arena look even emptier.

Interesting timing, since the fans on the Amerks boards have been discussing this all season, using the exact same reasoning used in the article. And the Amerks front office all read the boards. Wonder if they actually used one of our ideas.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
This has been a long time coming. If anyone has been to the renovated War Memorial, you can just see the mass amount of seats in those end sections, that are sparsely filled. It just spreads the crowd out and makes the arena look even emptier.

Interesting timing, since the fans on the Amerks boards have been discussing this all season, using the exact same reasoning used in the article. And the Amerks front office all read the boards. Wonder if they actually used one of our ideas.
Maybe. You can learn a lot by watching a team for years. You see what draws people and what doesn't. Milwaukee rarely uses the upper arena seating. Without them they seat 8,000. But they have an option to do so. Last night was a Dropkick Murphys post-game concert after playing the dreaded Chicago Wolves, 15,000 fans.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:13 AM
lovetherangers

It doesnt help when your team is coming off a horrible campaign in the midst of a recession. I went to a college not far from Rochester and went to around 5 games a year in the mid 90's. I remember the War Memorial being sold out or close to it most nights. Rochesterians are big hockey fans. I wonder if the fact that the Amerks are no longer affiliated with Buffalo may also be a contributing factor behind the smaller crowds?

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherangers View Post
It doesnt help when your team is coming off a horrible campaign in the midst of a recession. I went to a college not far from Rochester and went to around 5 games a year in the mid 90's. I remember the War Memorial being sold out or close to it most nights. Rochesterians are big hockey fans. I wonder if the fact that the Amerks are no longer affiliated with Buffalo may also be a contributing factor behind the smaller crowds?
No, this has been talked to death. Small impact? Sure, but not a large one. The Portland Pirates came to town a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and the Amerks received no attendance bump. And there were only a couple dozen people in the arena cheering for Portland.

2 of the worst years in team history, bad economy, and lots of comp tickets no longer being given away are why attendance is much lower.

Old
03-14-2010, 05:26 PM
sabrefan27

Today was a test run of closing off those sections and I think it works well. The Amerks had a crowd of about 4200 and blue line to blue line the arena was pretty full. It made the crowd feel much bigger.

Old
03-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Today was a test run of closing off those sections and I think it works well. The Amerks had a crowd of about 4200 and blue line to blue line the arena was pretty full. It made the crowd feel much bigger.
I watched the game on the NHL network and that place need some work for TV. The on ice logos don't face the benches or penalty boxes, they face the goals. The cameras are on the side facing the penalty instead of the benches. Also, the quality of the camera work was bad and the quality of the picture itself was just as bad.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
I watched the game on the NHL network and that place need some work for TV. The on ice logos don't face the benches or penalty boxes, they face the goals. The cameras are on the side facing the penalty instead of the benches. Also, the quality of the camera work was bad and the quality of the picture itself was just as bad.
I thought this when I watched the Rats there on Friday - the camera work was especially bad.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:23 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Yeah, the local time warner network does a poor job. That has nothing to do with the Amerks, though.

Bu the logo thing, that's the way the Amerks have always done there logo at center ice for decades. They don't just do one large one.

Old
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Yeah, the local time warner network does a poor job. That has nothing to do with the Amerks, though.

Bu the logo thing, that's the way the Amerks have always done there logo at center ice for decades. They don't just do one large one.
Two logos are fine, but they have them "aimed" towards the nets instead of towards the sides, like most teams because most people sit along the sides and not the ends and most cameras are along the sides not the ends.

Old
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Two logos are fine, but they have them "aimed" towards the nets instead of towards the sides, like
..the Montreal Canadiens?

They're not in such bad company.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:36 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
..the Montreal Canadiens?

They're not in such bad company.
Yeah, I was pretty sure the Canadiens did it that way as well. I'm a fan of it, it's more of an old time, traditional design.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Yeah, I was pretty sure the Canadiens did it that way as well. I'm a fan of it, it's more of an old time, traditional design.
Actually, its not an "old time, traditional design. The traditional is facing the sides where most people look and the Canadiens, well, 1 out of 30 does not make it that way. It just looks plain wrong IMO.

Old
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
lovetherangers

Quote:
No, this has been talked to death. Small impact? Sure, but not a large one. The Portland Pirates came to town a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and the Amerks received no attendance bump. And there were only a couple dozen people in the arena cheering for Portland.

2 of the worst years in team history, bad economy, and lots of comp tickets no longer being given away are why attendance is much lower.
I didnt realize it was talked to death as this thread was one page one and the older one was buried some pages back. Apologies. How long do the Panthers have their agreement with Rochester, and have their been much animosity towards the owner?

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:09 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherangers View Post
I didnt realize it was talked to death as this thread was one page one and the older one was buried some pages back. Apologies. How long do the Panthers have their agreement with Rochester, and have their been much animosity towards the owner?
There's 1 year remaining on the deal with Florida. And which owner, the Rochester owner? There's no animosity, he's very well liked. He's invested a lot of money into the franchise and bringing in quality players.

Old
04-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:

Very small impact- most of the Amerks fans when the Sabres were affiliated with them were Rochester natives, who would never ditch their team because of the loss of affiliation. I was up in Rochester for the first Portland game, rooting for Portland. (And the reason there were more than a dozen people rooting for Portland was because Derek Whitmore is from Rochester but plays for Portland, it sounded like his whole family was up and to my left. ) There was two rows behind the Portland bench that was all Buffalonians supporting Portland.

The biggest tell that Rochester didn't feel the loss of the Sabre affiliation were the Rochester-Portland games in the HSBC Arena this season- they weren't huge draws, but the crowds were half to 3/4 full of Amerks fans who made the trek- most Sabres fans just barelyyy care until they're full fledged Sabres. Or at the very least, call ups.

But in about 8 days, the Sabres booster club is going to Portland... its gonna be a fun time, the CCCC is a nice place...

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macksayev View Post
Very small impact- most of the Amerks fans when the Sabres were affiliated with them were Rochester natives, who would never ditch their team because of the loss of affiliation. I was up in Rochester for the first Portland game, rooting for Portland. (And the reason there were more than a dozen people rooting for Portland was because Derek Whitmore is from Rochester but plays for Portland, it sounded like his whole family was up and to my left. ) There was two rows behind the Portland bench that was all Buffalonians supporting Portland.

The biggest tell that Rochester didn't feel the loss of the Sabre affiliation were the Rochester-Portland games in the HSBC Arena this season- they weren't huge draws, but the crowds were half to 3/4 full of Amerks fans who made the trek- most Sabres fans just barelyyy care until they're full fledged Sabres. Or at the very least, call ups.

But in about 8 days, the Sabres booster club is going to Portland... its gonna be a fun time, the CCCC is a nice place...
Good to see a strictly Sabres fan perspective on this. I was really actually expecting to see hundreds of people cheering for Portland in Rochester, but it just wasn't the case. There were a TON of Sabres gear in the crowd, but even most of them were cheering when the Amerks scored.

Old
04-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Good to see a strictly Sabres fan perspective on this. I was really actually expecting to see hundreds of people cheering for Portland in Rochester, but it just wasn't the case. There were a TON of Sabres gear in the crowd, but even most of them were cheering when the Amerks scored.
Last year I had little interest in Portland, i cheered for the River Rats because they had Mike Ryan. This years a different story- I was in the row with the Portland fans, right behind the Portland bench- two of my junior players finally made it to the AHL, sooo excited.

Granted, I think 70% of Sabres fans miss Rochacha as our affiliate. The closeness was something most of us never considered ("we should definitely go to an Amerks game." never did.) until we picked up Portland. The greyhound bus travel to Portland is brutal... I digress, my point was, a lot of Sabres fans still recognize Rochester as our brothers in a way- a lot of our core players spent a good chunk of time there obviously. I think a lot of Buffalo born Sabres fans still support the Amerks because of it, regardless of whether or not they have gone to Rochester to see the game.

Last edited by Macksayev: 04-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old
04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

It also doesn't help the draw that Sabre fans are in a period of doubt and the fervor of the first two post-lockout seasons are now replaced by cynacism. The first time they had Portland in for the River Rats last year was much better attended, likely due to more fan interest.

That said, I still enjoy going to games in Rochester (including my son's first ever pro game at that Amerks-Pirates).

04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It also doesn't help the draw that Sabre fans are in a period of doubt and the fervor of the first two post-lockout seasons are now replaced by cynacism. The first time they had Portland in for the River Rats last year was much better attended, likely due to more fan interest.

That said, I still enjoy going to games in Rochester (including my son's first ever pro game at that Amerks-Pirates).
Maybe after seeing Ennis, some Sabres fans will be more interested for next seasons Portland games here in Buffalo. (whether or not Ennis is on the team, maybe more Sabres fans would be interested in seeing their future players..) Maybe not, but I can hope that the attendance will be better. *shrug*

Old
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Maybe after seeing Ennis, some Sabres fans will be more interested for next seasons Portland games here in Buffalo. (whether or not Ennis is on the team, maybe more Sabres fans would be interested in seeing their future players..) Maybe not, but I can hope that the attendance will be better. *shrug*
THERE won't be any neutral site games for the next two seasons, Macksayev, the new lease prohibits that from happening which is why you saw the Pirates being targeted for relocation to Albany while the lease was still worked on...... the only way Sabre fans will see their prospects otherwise is you'll have to organize a bus trip here depending whom the opponents are.....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
THERE won't be any neutral site games for the next two seasons, Macksayev, the new lease prohibits that from happening which is why you saw the Pirates being targeted for relocation to Albany while the lease was still worked on...... the only way Sabre fans will see their prospects otherwise is you'll have to organize a bus trip here depending whom the opponents are.....
That sucks pretty hardcore but its no big problem for me. I went to Portland once already. And I am going again in 3 days. Sabres booster club is going, but their trip details sucked so I'm going with some friends for the last two games.

But not having the games here in B-lo sucks because its easily accessible. But I'll go for both Rochester games, since P-land doesnt face Hamilton or the Marlies. I'll basically go anywhere.