HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Owen Nolan to Philadelphia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2010, 09:37 AM
  #1
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,618
vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Owen Nolan to Philadelphia

I think he would be a good fit for the 3rd line for the Flyers. JVR-Giroux-Nolan is significantly better than JVR-Giroux-Asham in my opinion. He's on an expiring contract, and the Flyers would only have to deal with a portion of his 2.75M cap hit, which they could fit in. What would it take to get him?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:47 AM
  #2
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,643
vCash: 50
I'm no minny expert but I doubt they'd trade one veteran for another considering well, they aren't exactly in a playoff position. I doubt philly wants to give up young players so I'd assume prob a pick will do. Not sure which, but this is merely an educated guess at best so who knows.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
  #3
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,217
vCash: 5775
The Wild would have to take a body off our roster back too

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:51 AM
  #4
usernam*
#TeamSuccess
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm no minny expert but I doubt they'd trade one veteran for another considering well, they aren't exactly in a playoff position. I doubt philly wants to give up young players so I'd assume prob a pick will do. Not sure which, but this is merely an educated guess at best so who knows.
You're actually pretty much dead on. Philly won't get up a young player that we want so it'd have to be a pick. Not sure which though. A 2 or a 3.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:52 AM
  #5
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 50
2nd rounder probably would suffice IMO.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:24 AM
  #6
Thundermare
Registered User
 
Thundermare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
That's exactly why I was against the Dominic Moore trade... Nolan would have been a better fit IMHO

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
  #7
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I think he would be a good fit for the 3rd line for the Flyers. JVR-Giroux-Nolan is significantly better than JVR-Giroux-Asham in my opinion. He's on an expiring contract, and the Flyers would only have to deal with a portion of his 2.75M cap hit, which they could fit in. What would it take to get him?
The Flyers would have to take on his whole hit because of Rathje being on LTI. The Flyers have no cap space and can't afford such a move.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:49 AM
  #8
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
It doesn't look like GMCF is going to sell off players, he is going to try to add a center to help aid a playoff push for the Wild. Don't see Nolan being moved.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
  #9
usernam*
#TeamSuccess
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
It doesn't look like GMCF is going to sell off players, he is going to try to add a center to help aid a playoff push for the Wild. Don't see Nolan being moved.
Any idea who he's going after or what he plans to give?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:15 AM
  #10
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatsFan48 View Post
Any idea who he's going after or what he plans to give?
I don't know. Grabovski from the Leafs could be a candidate, Burke wasn't happy with his incident at the Olympics, he's got years left on his deal so it wouldn't be as a rental, though I don't know if him and Latendresse had any issues in Montreal with eachother(sure nothing they couldn't get passed now). Comrie was said to have interest in the offseason, though he is a rental I doubt the price would be outrageous. I'd love Weiss but he'd cost quite a bit in assets. Sheppard could be a guy of interest for the Leafs, as they are giving guys shots he'd at least get a chance to play. Don't think GMCF wants to move his #1 or #2 in this years draft as they need high-end prospects and are already without a #2 in 2011.

I'd much rather see us sell off guys as rentals though, to help build up our prospect group. Russo has been credible in the past though so I do think GMCF is working the lines.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
  #11
Wildlife
Registered User
 
Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I don't know. Grabovski from the Leafs could be a candidate, Burke wasn't happy with his incident at the Olympics, he's got years left on his deal so it wouldn't be as a rental, though I don't know if him and Latendresse had any issues in Montreal with eachother(sure nothing they couldn't get passed now). Comrie was said to have interest in the offseason, though he is a rental I doubt the price would be outrageous. I'd love Weiss but he'd cost quite a bit in assets. Sheppard could be a guy of interest for the Leafs, as they are giving guys shots he'd at least get a chance to play. Don't think GMCF wants to move his #1 or #2 in this years draft as they need high-end prospects and are already without a #2 in 2011.

I'd much rather see us sell off guys as rentals though, to help build up our prospect group. Russo has been credible in the past though so I do think GMCF is working the lines.
I think he is too. Unfortunately I can't remember where else I heard it so I can't confirm it, but I remember hearing that he was on the search from a few sources.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
  #12
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
  #13
Hfboards2010
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I think he would be a good fit for the 3rd line for the Flyers. JVR-Giroux-Nolan is significantly better than JVR-Giroux-Asham in my opinion. He's on an expiring contract, and the Flyers would only have to deal with a portion of his 2.75M cap hit, which they could fit in. What would it take to get him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Wild would have to take a body off our roster back too
If he is replacing Asham and unless you intend to move Asham to the 4th line, wouldn't it make sense to send Asham to the Wild? Both contracts end in 2010 I believe, not sure if it would work for cap space. Add 1 or 2 picks and see how it works out?

PHI: Nolan
MIN: Asham + 4th 2010 + 3rd 2011? Or you could change the 4th for an unknown prospect

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:48 PM
  #14
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
If he is replacing Asham and unless you intend to move Asham to the 4th line, wouldn't it make sense to send Asham to the Wild? Both contracts end in 2010 I believe, not sure if it would work for cap space. Add 1 or 2 picks and see how it works out?

PHI: Nolan
MIN: Asham + 4th 2010 + 3rd 2011? Or you could change the 4th for an unknown prospect
Assuming this deal were possible, why wouldn't we just send a couple of marginal prospects over instead? Something like Asham+Nodl. Add a guy like Pyorala as well maybe? I don't know much about Nolan, but I know that he's old and that if we did get him it would be a rental. Old 3rd line rentals don't cost much.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:56 PM
  #15
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatsFan48 View Post
You're actually pretty much dead on. Philly won't get up a young player that we want so it'd have to be a pick. Not sure which though. A 2 or a 3.
Flyers would have to trade someone like Asham and waive Boucher to make it work I would think. If they could do it he would be a perfit fit for either the giroux line or Richards line (replacing Knuble's prescence in front).

I bet Homer tries like crazy to get Wild to include Scott in the deal. Old habits die hard.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:59 PM
  #16
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,803
vCash: 500
I dont mind trading Nolan to philly but depends on the asking price

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
  #17
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,061
vCash: 769
Asham has been one of the better and more consistant Flyers the whole season...ya lets trade him!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:12 PM
  #18
Turk Broda
Registered User
 
Turk Broda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Owen Nolan's best days were with the San Jose Sharks about 50 years ago. I mean the dude has a grey goatie. Why do people still get excited about the prospect of this guy being traded to their team???

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
  #19
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Broda View Post
Owen Nolan's best days were with the San Jose Sharks about 50 years ago. I mean the dude has a grey goatie. Why do people still get excited about the prospect of this guy being traded to their team???
We do all sound super excited don't we?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:49 PM
  #20
Bullrun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
I dont see Fletch being a buyer. He's just being diplomatic by saying they will add for a playoff push. What I read was he is going after young players who could help with the push but still build the core of the future for this team.

He isn't going to rule out the playoffs publicly but he knows as well as anyone how out of it they are.

Not only do you have the points to make up and the teams to hop over, you've got road back-to-backs like crazy and this team is awful on the road.

If someone wants Nolan they'll get him. I think a 2nd would be were it hits...specially since more than 1 playoff team would want a guy like him.

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:37 PM
  #21
Turk Broda
Registered User
 
Turk Broda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
We do all sound super excited don't we?
Excited enough to consider trading for this guy. That's more than any of you should be. He isn't worth what ever you are considering moving to get him.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
  #22
skilks
This is nightmare
 
skilks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
I don't see how this pushes the Flyers to the next level...

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
  #23
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Broda View Post
Owen Nolan's best days were with the San Jose Sharks about 50 years ago. I mean the dude has a grey goatie. Why do people still get excited about the prospect of this guy being traded to their team???
No one is saying that he's as good as he was when he played in San Jose, but you clearly haven't watched much of him in the last year and a half. If Owen Nolan is your 3rd line RW then you're in good shape come playoff time. He sniped 25 goals last year on an offensively starved team, and he's likely going to finish with 20+ goals again this year.

As for trade value, I have to think that Minny would prefer to just keep him through the year if all he gets is crap back in return.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
  #24
Turk Broda
Registered User
 
Turk Broda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
No one is saying that he's as good as he was when he played in San Jose, but you clearly haven't watched much of him in the last year and a half. If Owen Nolan is your 3rd line RW then you're in good shape come playoff time. He sniped 25 goals last year on an offensively starved team, and he's likely going to finish with 20+ goals again this year.

As for trade value, I have to think that Minny would prefer to just keep him through the year if all he gets is crap back in return.
I admit I haven't seen all that much of him since he joined Minny. But I just don't think he is the answer for a playoff team looking for a player to push them over the top. I watched him in Calgary and years before with the Leafs. I understand he is playing better, but I would be very cautious, and wouldn't expect much consistent production out of him.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:26 PM
  #25
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Broda View Post
I admit I haven't seen all that much of him since he joined Minny. But I just don't think he is the answer for a playoff team looking for a player to push them over the top. I watched him in Calgary and years before with the Leafs. I understand he is playing better, but I would be very cautious, and wouldn't expect much consistent production out of him.
Yeah, I totally get why you'd be suspicious of what he can bring...and trust me, I never bring the "you don't agree with me so you obviously don't watch player X" argument to the table. But living in Minny and going to Wild games (even though I'm a B's fan) I can tell you that Nolan still has it. Obviously injuries would be a concern at his age, but if he's healthy, then he'd be an absolute stud on someone's 3rd line going into the playoffs. He's slowed down a step, but he's still dangerous if you give him any time to get a shot off.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.