HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk

Old
02-27-2010, 09:57 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Of course we understand that. But fans can still hope, right?

As a Devils fan, I hope that Kovalchuk likes it in New Jersey, and he fits well with the team concept, so that Lou and Kovy agree to have him stay long-term.

As a fan of hockey, and more specifically the NHL brand of hockey, I hope the best talent in the world remains in this league.
A fan can hope all they want, frankly I would be very surprised if he stayed in NJ. Not that the location is bad or the team stinks, just my gut feeling he'll leave for the KHL or NYR/LAK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan View Post
He is going to make millions regardless, and I doubt the KHL throws him more than a 5 year deal with that sort of money. Some NHL team will throw him a 8-10 year contract. He'll bite it.
Some NHL team did throw him that kind of contract and he walked away. In a way, bombing out of the Olympics could cause Russian hockey officials/owner to feel even more pressed to legitimize their league with a home-grown star player like Kovy. If he doesn't go overseas, it won't be because rich KHL teams failed to offer the moon.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:00 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
As usual it will come down to wanting the money, or more money to be exact, or playing with the big boys in the NHL for the Cup.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Bingo. I say the only thing that potentially could hold him back is if his wife/gf is an American/Canadian. Does he have kids? Stuff like that could be a sticking point.
For what its worth Kovy commented after NJ trade that he is not selling his Atlanta home and plans to use it as an offseason base.
He also mentioned that his wife and kids would remain in Atlanta (til end of season/school year?) as he doesn't want to pull his eldest child out of school.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Byyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
SuperAwesomeSeb

Even though he doesn't play on my team, and wants tons of cash I would be sad to see him leave. Sorry but I don't wish any NHL superstar leaves us for a lessar league. These superstars sell tickets. I would prefer the NHL to get those tickets then the KHL.

SuperAwesomeSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:17 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

If his kids have grown up in America since they were little, I heavily doubt they will want to move to Russia. He will most likely stay in the NHL.

This is nothing against Russia, just kids don't like change.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
There's a decent chance Ilya will sign in the KHL.

If he wanted to play for a bubble team or non-contender that would pay him off then he probably would've stayed in Atlanta.

He held out half a month when he was an RFA until he got a 7 mil+ contract 4 years ago. If that doesn't scream 'It's about the money.' then I don't know what does.

I know there's a lot to be said for playing for a contender and such, but I just really don't see Kovy signing in the NHL for under 8.5 million a season, and I'm not sure any contender will offer him that.
I'm glad somebody brought this up. Heck, he even played 11 games for Atlant, so one has to think the KHL is an option he'd be willing to explore.

If I'm the NHL, I'm hoping somebody, ANYBODY does what it takes to keep this guy on this side of the Atlantic. Losing him would be a huge blow to the league and give the KHL a lot more credibility in terms of its ability to lure stars.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Shwag33

Quote:
With all due respect, the Devils are not the Thrashers. Kovalchuk has never had a legitimate chance to win the Cup, and Atlanta is a franchise that is in an uncertain period with regards to financial stability and the possibility of relocation. New Jersey is a perennial playoff qualifier, is secure financially, and is in no danger of relocating.

For now, it's about winning the Cup this season. Whether we re-sign him or not comes later. If Kovalchuk fits into the team concept (this is still up in the air), and is willing to come back at a reasonable price (also up in the air), the Lou will make every effort to re-sign him. And when Lou really wants to do something, he is usually successful.

I could be wrong, and he could be all about the money. Plenty of people sell out their ideals for the big payday. But Kovalchuk has said repeatedly that he wants to win most of all.

On July 1, we'll see how much of an idealist Kovy is.

Honestly the trashers have more up and coming talent than the devils do. Parise and Zajac are good, but atlanta and NJ probably have equal chance of winning a cup in the next few years excluding this one.

I honestly think he ends up back in atlanta after this year.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Would hate to see Kovalchuk go. A lot depends on how far he goes with NJ in the playoffs.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Ashe

Quote:
With all due respect, the Devils are not the Thrashers. Kovalchuk has never had a legitimate chance to win the Cup, and Atlanta is a franchise that is in an uncertain period with regards to financial stability and the possibility of relocation. New Jersey is a perennial playoff qualifier, is secure financially, and is in no danger of relocating.

For now, it's about winning the Cup this season. Whether we re-sign him or not comes later. If Kovalchuk fits into the team concept (this is still up in the air), and is willing to come back at a reasonable price (also up in the air), the Lou will make every effort to re-sign him. And when Lou really wants to do something, he is usually successful.

I could be wrong, and he could be all about the money. Plenty of people sell out their ideals for the big payday. But Kovalchuk has said repeatedly that he wants to win most of all.

On July 1, we'll see how much of an idealist Kovy is.
You are right, The devils are a boring team to watch, out of respect, that places an emphasis on defense. Something Kovy lacks, and has been shown. Kovy is about Kovy. Takes stupid penalties, and when its not going his way it shows.

Atlanta is not in any financial difficulties, nor in any trouble of relocation prior to what you hear from ESPN and Canadian outlets. We have another 6 years on our lease at the arena, and had our biggest turn out the game after we traded Kovy. Interesting.

Its every teams goal to win the cup and make playoffs every year, so thats a wash. We were 4 points out of a play off spot when we traded him, So i dont say "Playoffs" were a big thing. An addition at the deadline would make leaps and bounds to being in the playoffs, Considering the youth of our roster, and how well they have played at points this year, We can be one of those teams.

And your right, The Devils aren't the thrashers, I mean, you guys were us at one point when you became a franchise, but that doesnt matter anyway. I mean. Its all about the now.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Ilya has said the Olympics are more important than the Stanley Cup, so since the NHL is not committed to Sochi in 2014 I think he's going back to Russia no matter what.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:30 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
You are right, The devils are a boring team to watch, out of respect, that places an emphasis on defense. Something Kovy lacks, and has been shown. Kovy is about Kovy. Takes stupid penalties, and when its not going his way it shows.

Atlanta is not in any financial difficulties, nor in any trouble of relocation prior to what you hear from ESPN and Canadian outlets. We have another 6 years on our lease at the arena, and had our biggest turn out the game after we traded Kovy. Interesting.

Its every teams goal to win the cup and make playoffs every year, so thats a wash. We were 4 points out of a play off spot when we traded him, So i dont say "Playoffs" were a big thing. An addition at the deadline would make leaps and bounds to being in the playoffs, Considering the youth of our roster, and how well they have played at points this year, We can be one of those teams.

And your right, The Devils aren't the thrashers, I mean, you guys were us at one point when you became a franchise, but that doesnt matter anyway. I mean. Its all about the now.
Umm excuse me but the Thrashers have a Patrice Cormier!!??

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:46 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
his wife was a russian pop-star. if she wants to resurrect her career now would be her best chance. his family may have a say in the wrong way.

poaching ours? technically we took 4 of the top 5 forwards in the world (ovechkin malkin, kovalchuk, datsyuk) from them. WE took THEIR players. THEY developed them, not US. the ridiculous level of slef righteousness on here sometimes is baffling.

i find it kind of hilarious that all of a sudden devils fans are all of the belief that he's here forever. ya'll do realize that even if he does stay that's doesn't mean he'll re-sign with you right?

and for the record i certainly hope he stays here and signs with a team i like to watch
Luckily for us (Wings), I would think Datsyuk is much less likely to go to the KHL than the rest. He's not some pre-anointed star. He was a 6th rounder. He's had to toil early in his career, so not much is going to faze him that he'd book it to the KHL.

Ovechkin is another I would think wouldn't go back to Russia. He's just got too much pride and passion for the game, he'd want to be the best in this league rather than the KHL. Kovy and Malkin I don't know about.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Devilswede

Kovalchuk won't leave for the KHL and he'll re-sign with the Devils. You heard it here first.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:07 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
One wonders if he would even be accepting less money for the KHL. Playing at home must be so much more convenient.

He hasn't been treated that well in the NHL either, constantly asking for support on his team so they can win but hasn't gotten it.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:19 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
Luckily for us (Wings), I would think Datsyuk is much less likely to go to the KHL than the rest. He's not some pre-anointed star. He was a 6th rounder. He's had to toil early in his career, so not much is going to faze him that he'd book it to the KHL.

Ovechkin is another I would think wouldn't go back to Russia. He's just got too much pride and passion for the game, he'd want to be the best in this league rather than the KHL. Kovy and Malkin I don't know about.
The problem with Dats however is that he has already won and proven himself in the NHL. I find it likely that he too could return to russia to get a lil extra money. Hopefully he wont though.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:35 AM
cenas*

Well Kovie has already forfeit 100 million just to get out of Atlanta so we'll see how much he turns down for not having to go to Russia

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Hockey66

I'd almost say I'm interested in seeing how bad he can tear it up there. 2x the points of the number two player? Who knows.

Hockey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
The Russian mob has deep pockets.
First of all, many do it to make not so popular citys, more popular. To simply give workers in big industry citys something to do. The industrys natrually have a lot of money. Like I am sure many of the metal industrys, oil industrys et c -- that sponsor these teams -- have profits in like the multi billion range. For them its not a big deal to hand out 30m or something like that. And give more credibility to them selfs. But take AK Bar Kazan, its way out in the middle of no where. They are among the biggest spenders. All money is basically sponsoring. Like to put a NHL team in some little villege in Alaska with a big oil field/mine or something near by. To get workers to live there.

Second of all, why "Kovalchuk"? I mean they can get 10 very good players for the same amount of money. Its the Bobby Hull factor. You have a league with typical non-NHLers, and want like a "Niklas Hagman" to sign in that league, you basically have to offer him twice as much as he would make in the NHL. Like probably 6m per instead of 3m per. But the more Jagrs, the more Radulovs, the more Kovalchuks -- that play in the KHL, the cheaper everyone else becomes. It becomes more okey for like a Slava Kozlov to go home and make as much as he would in the NHL.

I think there is a distinct risk of Kovalchuk bolting to the KHL. They could offer him 20m per basically, then its a done deal.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
Well Kovie has already forfeit 100 million just to get out of Atlanta so we'll see how much he turns down for not having to go to Russia

Have you thought he still might take his 100 million dollars from atlanta, just wanting to get some more assets for the club? Could be a giant conspiracy between kovy and waddel haha.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:33 AM
BigT2002

Too competitive of a guy. He'll stay just like so many others have because they want to win at the highest level of professional hockey. While the KHL is making huge strides, the NHL still houses the most talent

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
NJDEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He can go home and make double what he makes here in the states? He's gone.
after a while money only means so much. after a while you can only spend so much. I have to believe the amount that he will be offered in the NHL will be more than enough, considering he will be in the greatest league that will ever exist with the greatest trophy, in the greatest country. Unfortunately, this may not be with the devils.

seriously, Ovechkin is staying! you think Kovalchuk is gonna be another moron to accept that deal

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
One wonders if he would even be accepting less money for the KHL. Playing at home must be so much more convenient.

He hasn't been treated that well in the NHL either, constantly asking for support on his team so they can win but hasn't gotten it.
Is that a problem with the Devils?

Basement Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Yitz

$11 mil is too much to pay any athlete for any sport. No player is worth that much.

Anything more goes beyond being absolutely ridiculous.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:15 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
$11 mil is too much to pay any athlete for any sport. No player is worth that much.

Anything more goes beyond being absolutely ridiculous.
I'd rather see the amazing athlete getting the money, than a rich owner with a suit and tie..

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote