HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk

Old
02-28-2010, 09:32 AM
duck

vCash: 500
A lot of you are making it sounds criminal for him to jump ship; really -- if you were offered an easier job with less hours per week, closer to home, and about a 50% salary raise, you really wouldn't take it just because you're not required to perform at your best? Really?

... If he stays because of his family, I can respect that. But it'd be ridiculous for him to stay under the notion that NHL has better players, because he's more likely to end his career earlier due to the high strains and probably earn a fraction of his potential KHL salary (not to mention he's more likely to play extra years in the KHL due to a softer style). Forget the fame - it'd be immature to pine over the Cup rather than establish a more solid financial backing for his future.

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:35 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Umm excuse me but the Thrashers have a Patrice Cormier!!??
Yeah, and?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
I don't think he'll pull a Jagr and leave for the KHL, he actually enjoys winning

but after he helps us win the cup he can go where ever the **** he wants, I could care less
...and Jagr doesn't enjoy winning?

Jagr has been a winner (outside his Washington years) everwhere he's played as opposed to Kovalchuk who's only made the playoffs once in his career.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Kovalchuk didn't reject Atlanta out of greed. The KHL doesn't have a chance.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I'd rather see the amazing athlete getting the money, than a rich owner with a suit and tie..
Yup. People in suits and ties don't deserve money.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Flashspec

Kind of weird seeing the PRESIDENT of a league trying to lure a free agent over

Flashspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:12 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashspec View Post
Kind of weird seeing the PRESIDENT of a league trying to lure a free agent over
Kind of weird seeing the president of a league to help relocate and then protect a bankrupt team in the southern states.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:25 PM
PuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
Hey Medvedev, guess what? His family has a say in the situation. I still don't think he's all about the money, and that he likes playing in the best league in the world.

So you can take your money and shove it up your ass.

Very unprofessional to keep talking about offering huge money when he's still on contract. Why not develop your own ****ing players instead of poaching ours?
This post is super-hilarious in more then one way. This is pretty much what the NHL always have done with european players, disregard contracts and offer more money.

And why don't you develop your own ****ing players instead of poaching ours? Oh wait, Kovalchuk was developed by "you", yeah...

I don't care about the KHL, it's just one more threat to my team. But this kind of attitude makes me hope for some big name players leaving the NHL for the russian money.

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
djp4516

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Kovalchuk is one of the least emotional players I have ever seen. He will go wherever he gets the most money. I don't think winning a Stanley Cup is very high on his priority list at all.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:39 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Def would not be surprised if he went. And I def would not be angry or anything.
He's russian, not Canadian or American. If I were in his place, I would probably go to the KHL as well.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Have you thought he still might take his 100 million dollars from atlanta, just wanting to get some more assets for the club? Could be a giant conspiracy between kovy and waddel haha.
waddell isn't that smart.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:39 PM
map94

One thing no seem to mention is that a long term contract in the KHL does not provide the security that a long term contract in the NHL provides. To my knowledge, the players in the KHL have very little power compared to the NHL players. If you sign a long term deal in the KHL, but get injured in the first game, it is very realistic that you will not see all or any of the money you are owed. The NHL is completely different. If you sign a contract, the league will pay you according to the contract. You could get bought out, but you would still get paid according to that contract.

So he could sign a 10 year $100M deal in the NHL and never score another NHL goal but still get paid. The team owner could go bankrupt and he will get paid. He could get hurt off the ice (as long as he didn't violate his contract) and he will get paid. I don't think the KHL can really promise these things.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
CorpseLW

But then, what about the females of Eastern Europe/Russia compared to (boom) American females?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I always have wondered if the value assigned to the healthcare, travel and other perks of the NHL outweight that extra cost, because I doubt the facilities and such are even close.

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Kovalchuk is one of the least emotional players I have ever seen. He will go wherever he gets the most money. I don't think winning a Stanley Cup is very high on his priority list at all.
I can not agree with you more ! I am very glad the Bruins did not pick this guy up.
For either a rental or long term investment. Don't get me wrong he is a great player
but does he have the total commitment to being a winner ? If I was a NHL GM
I would think twice about paying him more then 7.5 - 8.5 mil per year. He wants to
much money and to many years. I hope New Jersey signs him long term and regret it later.

Last edited by Lordstanley: 02-28-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:14 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
ccgg: "KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk.... and Malkin, Semin, Dastyuk, Gonchar, Markov, Volchenkov, Nabokov, Tyutin, Ovechkin, Bryzgalov"
Malkin aint going no where. They tried getting Malkin once, he is staying a Penguin.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
MxK1NGS

Possibly make a swap with Jagr and Ilya? Better than nothing and Jagr is considering coming back to the NHL.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

kind of stupid that he says that in front of the whole hockey-world coz if Kovalchuk says no it means the NHL is still better and more interesting to play, even for less money and even for a russian. for sure they`ll go for him but I would do that as quiet as possible and don`t start an unwinnable battle with the NHL again

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:28 AM
aBurmistrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
ccgg: "KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk.... and Malkin, Semin, Dastyuk, Gonchar, Markov, Volchenkov, Nabokov, Tyutin, Ovechkin, Bryzgalov"
Hahaha

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:24 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

i read a lot in this thread: more money, closer to home, less work.

have you watched any KHL games?

any real hockey legacy would be gone.

playing in north american/canadian facilities, with trainers from all around the world, and the best healthcare imaginable for the athletic world, gone.

playing in a league that has a long history of financial stability, a nd honoring contracts, gone.

the amazing level of travel comfort offered to NHL teams, gone.

do you really think the extra pay makes up for that stuff?

All that said, i think he goes to the KHL, and honestly, he's the prototypical KHL forward. he's a massively talented, yet highly flawed hockey player. tremendous upside, but isn't likely to ever develop a 2 way game. he's a square peg in the modern NHL's round hole.

but when you look at the game-style of the russian's in the olympics, he's exactly right.

lastly i don't think hoisting the stanley cup is near as big a deal outside north america and possibly scandinavia as it is for the russian kids of this generation. the petrol dollars that're being dumped into the KHL allow them to claim their prize of being the best in their respective league, without any real competition.

can you imagine how laughable it would be to have a convo about the best player of all time with a KHL fan saying Kovy owns every record imaginable?? while playing against offensive juggernauts like marcel hossa, nikolai zherdev, aleksey morovoz, and alexander radulov.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
There's a decent chance Ilya will sign in the KHL.

If he wanted to play for a bubble team or non-contender that would pay him off then he probably would've stayed in Atlanta.

He held out half a month when he was an RFA until he got a 7 mil+ contract 4 years ago. If that doesn't scream 'It's about the money.' then I don't know what does.

I know there's a lot to be said for playing for a contender and such, but I just really don't see Kovy signing in the NHL for under 8.5 million a season, and I'm not sure any contender will offer him that.
RFA holdouts are common in the NHL. Mike Peca, for one, held out an entire season.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:36 AM
loxcane

People can rip on him if they want, but I doubt there's 1 single Canadian or US player, that being in the same position, away from home, would turn down more money to play, at home. It's a no brainer. I have trouble believing anyone would seek the lowest common denominator, the NHL, as being the reason to think badly of him or anyone else. If he goes, it's NHL fans, not hockey fans, who are without a great talent to watch.

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:44 AM
saskatoon84

Well, I'd imagine Kovy stays In NHL at least for couple of more seasons, after that it's about if NHL allows players to participate in the next olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to KHL together with several other Russian top players if NHL doesn't allow them to play in the olympics in their home country, seems a quite big deal for them.

saskatoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
$11 mil is too much to pay any athlete for any sport. No player is worth that much.

Anything more goes beyond being absolutely ridiculous.
I think it depends on the contract length.

3 y * 11 m = awful

12 y * 11 m in like the first 8-9 years, and then the last 3-4 years to drag down the cap hit, so it only becomes like 9.5 or something like that = pretty okey.

The cap will go up a lot in just 5 years.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:50 AM
loxcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoon84 View Post
Well, I'd imagine Kovy stays In NHL at least for couple of more seasons, after that it's about if NHL allows players to participate in the next olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to KHL together with several other Russian top players if NHL doesn't allow them to play in the olympics in their home country, seems a quite big deal for them.
I was thinking about this earlier. I wonder how many players, given the choice of taking a year off playing elsewhere in order to play in the Olympics, would do that if the NHL decided against participation in 2014?

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Kovy wants to win at every possible level, straight quote from his mouth. I don't think he will go home without a Stanley cup after playing so many years in NA .
KHL isn't that bad you know, just watch some games and see it for yourself.

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote