HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gustav Nyquist- Kid is Insane!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
  #26
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
from what google tells me, Collins played for BC. Aaron Burrell played club hockey for Utah State. Kevin Cooper played Div III for Middlebury. So only one of those guys makes any argument for your point.
oh sorry, i will use a better source next time. gimme a few minutes and i can give you even hockey east guys with similar stats.

ncaa and stats is simply not working. where's eric ehn these days? i remember the hype around him.

gustav is nice, it's great that he can play in all situations, but how good he is we'll see in pro hockey and not earlier. because stats and ncaa is a bad game.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
  #27
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
oh sorry, i will use a better source next time. gimme a few minutes and i can give you even hockey east guys with similar stats.

ncaa and stats is simply not working. where's eric ehn these days? i remember the hype around him.

gustav is nice, it's great that he can play in all situations, but how good he is we'll see in pro hockey and not earlier. because stats and ncaa is a bad game.
jason krog would be a good example. Won the Hobey Baker and put up these stats in college

199596 U. of New Hampshire HE 34 4 16 20
199697 U. of New Hampshire HE 39 23 44 67
199798 U. of New Hampshire HE 38 33 33 66
199899 U. of New Hampshire HE 41 34 51 85

and his NHL totals 202 22 37 59

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
  #28
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
a few more

Chris Collins:

2005/06: 40 31 29 60 26

Aaron Burrell:

2001/02: 29 27 33 60 46
2002/03: 37 41 24 65 68
2003/04: 36 34 26 60 52
2004/05: 40 38 32 70 80

Kevin Cooper:

2002/03: 28 26 15 41 20
2003/04: 30 35 22 57 20

and don't ask "who?", cause that's my point.
What's the story on those guys? Small, injuries?

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
  #29
john g
Registered User
 
john g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Korbi
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
stats are really useless, yes you'd never see a guy play in league X for 4 year with never than 4 goals a year and then blossom into a 30 goal per season NHL'er. but to enlighten the Utah State doubter, would you ever think a college club team player that posted these stats, would blossom into a 1000 GP, 700+ point NHLer? of course you wouldnt.

1982-83 Northern Arizona University NCAA 29 14 21 35 46
1983-84 Northern Arizona University NCAA 26 44 29 73 34

and that's the problem with stats

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
  #30
JoeLH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Yes, but the reputation of NCAA teams has grown over the last years which could already be the answer why those guys with very good numbers stayed nonames at that point.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
  #31
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
What's the story on those guys? Small, injuries?
well, my example were not the best. but i can tell you that a lot of good scoring college players i can watch 2-3 times a week here in the DEL. some are too small, some can't skate, some are idiots...lots of different reasons why it didn't work. and of course sometimes it's because of linemates. and that we can at least say for sure, gustav is no product of any linemate. but HE i think is pretty weak this year. usually i'd say the teams are stronger, especially the boston ones. so a weaker division could also be part of bigger scoring. who knows?

i don't want to bash gustav and his great season, it's just that i've seen too many college scorers who ended up playing a few minutes away from here somewhere in middle germany.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
  #32
john g
Registered User
 
john g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Korbi
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
Yes, but the reputation of NCAA teams has grown over the last years which could already be the answer why those guys with very good numbers stayed nonames at that point.
that's not true unless you're speaking about prior to 20 years ago. i've been a NCAA hockey attendee since the late 80's and the game and the players have not jumped in the leaps and bounds you're thinking. there was always good players moving to the pros, maybe not the random stars now but the quality of the league as a whole hasn't exploded.

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:43 AM
  #33
Kiddington
heehats
 
Kiddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
jason krog would be a good example. Won the Hobey Baker and put up these stats in college

1995–96 U. of New Hampshire HE 34 4 16 20
1996–97 U. of New Hampshire HE 39 23 44 67
1997–98 U. of New Hampshire HE 38 33 33 66
1998–99 U. of New Hampshire HE 41 34 51 85

and his NHL totals 202 22 37 59
Ahah, but... he scored on the Wings during the 2003 playoffs against Anaheim. That must account for something, right?

Good example, though. It reminds me of another, even worse, Hobey Baker bust; David Emma.

Here are his stats:

1987-88 Boston College NCAA 30 19 16 35 30
1988-89 Boston College NCAA 36 20 31 51 36
1989-90 Boston College NCAA 42 38 34 72 46
1990-91 Boston College NCAA 39 35 46 81 44

NHL Totals: 34 GP, 5 G, 6 A, 11 P, 2 PIM, 0 Playoff Games, last played during the 2000-01 season with Florida.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:49 AM
  #34
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
jason krog would be a good example. Won the Hobey Baker and put up these stats in college

199596 U. of New Hampshire HE 34 4 16 20
199697 U. of New Hampshire HE 39 23 44 67
199798 U. of New Hampshire HE 38 33 33 66
199899 U. of New Hampshire HE 41 34 51 85

and his NHL totals 202 22 37 59
Krog won as a senior. And to Figs, Emma also won as a senior.

Gustav is in the running as a sophomore as he's starting to run away with the scoring title. That's not to say he'll win or even be anything more than a darkhorse, but his sophomore year is very impressive.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:09 AM
  #35
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Krog won as a senior. And to Figs, Emma also won as a senior.

Gustav is in the running as a sophomore as he's starting to run away with the scoring title. That's not to say he'll win or even be anything more than a darkhorse, but his sophomore year is very impressive.
on the same note though krog was close to winning it as a soph

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
  #36
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
that's not true unless you're speaking about prior to 20 years ago. i've been a NCAA hockey attendee since the late 80's and the game and the players have not jumped in the leaps and bounds you're thinking. there was always good players moving to the pros, maybe not the random stars now but the quality of the league as a whole hasn't exploded.
The term 'exploded' has an implication of 'sudden' to it. I don't think it's been sudden, but the growth and strengthening of NCAA hockey has been huge over the years. There are far more former college players in the NHL today than there were in the past, even when taking into account the increase in number of NHL teams. More and more college players have been, or are being, drafted. More and more are leaving school early. More and more are making it to the NHL. I think this is because of the growth of USA Hockey in general, and the improvement of the USHL specifically.

Regardless, citing high-scoring players from years ago who didn't make it to the NHL doesn't really say anything at all about the prospects of Nyquist or Smith making it as a pro, other than showing they won't automatically succeed, which should be obvious anyway.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
  #37
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,508
vCash: 500
The hockey landscape is littered with the carcasses of scorers who just weren't quite good enough to be scorers in the NHL. Nobody cares how good you were in Juniors, College or the AHL, it's about dominating in the NHL. Teams can't afford to carry around skill guys who score 40 points but do nothing else on the ice. Some guys manage to change their game, become energy guys or even grinders but many more are too used to being the most skilled guy on the team and would rather be in the top scorer race in the DEL.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
  #38
RabbinsDuck
Registered User
 
RabbinsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Heh, well it's certainly not as exciting than if he was unimpressive in college... but I'll still take it as a decent sign.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:22 AM
  #39
john g
Registered User
 
john g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Korbi
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
The term 'exploded' has an implication of 'sudden' to it. I don't think it's been sudden, but the growth and strengthening of NCAA hockey has been huge over the years. There are far more former college players in the NHL today than there were in the past, even when taking into account the increase in number of NHL teams. More and more college players have been, or are being, drafted. More and more are leaving school early. More and more are making it to the NHL. I think this is because of the growth of USA Hockey in general, and the improvement of the USHL specifically.

Regardless, citing high-scoring players from years ago who didn't make it to the NHL doesn't really say anything at all about the prospects of Nyquist or Smith making it as a pro, other than showing they won't automatically succeed, which should be obvious anyway.
i dont agree what so ever. if you look back over the years at whom has come out of college hockey in the last 20 years there's no boom in recent times that dwarfs any past era. now if you're referring to back in the 70's and early 80's i'd agree, but that had to do more so with the lesser amount of actual college teams more so than quality. but even then there was the random guy that could compare to players like Parise and Toews (i.e Langway). players like Zach and Jonathan have surfaced as stars of the NHL and I think that tends to skew people's perception, but rewind the clock and offer up players like CuJo, Eddie B, Leetch, Kariya, Tkachuk, Amonte etc...... there in the same mold.

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.