HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Finland - End of an era - Appreciation!!

Old
02-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Fighter
Olympic Games

vCash: 865
Another medal for this great team, Teemu in Nagano brought me into hockey and Finland without him will nevr be the same again.

Congratulations Suomi!!! Kiitos Teemu, Ville, Jere and Saku!

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:27 AM
cenas*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne didn't score in this tournament. Let's not forget that.
We might still be in "Big 6" for a few years to come. Only thing I'm concerned about is the defence.
Everything and I mean everything will need to go to the toilet if we are to drop from the top 6. What a ridiculous thing to say.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:53 AM
4rde

I have grown up watching these guys play and it brings tears to my eyes to see all of them ending their international career. But at the same time i know we have to move on and this tournament really showed that the old guys cant produce anymore.

Thank you Teemu, Saku, Jere, Ville, Kimmo, Olli and others for the great times you gave us finns.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:58 AM
MJAYK

It is a bittersweet moment for the Finnish hockey team and fans. I for one am sad to see Teemu and co. go, at the same time i cant wait to see what the future holds for the younger Finnish team.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Make

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
It is a bittersweet moment for the Finnish hockey team and fans. I for one am sad to see Teemu and co. go, at the same time i cant wait to see what the future holds for the younger Finnish team.
Definitely a bittersweet moment. They all did great things for our team but it's time to move on. I'm also really excited to see what's coming next. I actually kind of hope Teemu, Saku & Jere won't be back for World Championships anymore (probably won't anyway), because we need new guys to carry the team. It may result in disappointments in WC-tournaments and I may regret these words come WC-time but whatever . Defensively I wouldn't mind having some guys back because we're so weak in D, but we'll see what happens.

Make is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:18 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Selanne is still one of my two favourite hockey players ever.
I secretly hoped for more from Finland, a final. But bronze is good.

Here's to the past and the future of Finnish hockey!

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:25 AM
BeBen*

Congratulations to everyone except Olli

That dude just creeps me out so much im glad he's not living in my closet i could really say theres a monster in my closet

brrrrrrrrr

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:31 AM
icing

Last edited by Systemfel: 02-28-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fixed YT
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Welcome Boudreau

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Congratulations to everyone except Olli

That dude just creeps me out so much im glad he's not living in my closet i could really say theres a monster in my closet

brrrrrrrrr
Stop hating.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:58 AM
thomast

It's was emotional when the game ended. Koivu, Selanne, Lehtinen, Peltonen, Jokinen and maybe Timonen and their last game in national team. I've watched them since litte kid. Gave so much good moments. There was couple bad moments aswell like USA game but they rose and fought like hell. But it is over now. I want to give special credit to Lehtinen who is my favourite player all time. I was Lehtinen in outdoor games when i was kid. Other kid chose Koivu and selanne. Lehtinen have been so underrated whole of his career and even in Finland. Dallas star fans know his true value. He is as important as Koivu and selanne aswell. Stanley cup 4-5 or Selke nominations and 3 Selkes speaks itself. Selanne will get his shirt retired in anaheim and national team, Lehtinen will get his jersey retired in Stars and national team and Koivu might get his jersey reitred in Montreal and in national team for sure. Legends in national team and in their club aswell. These guys gave us 14 medals in 16 years. 1 gold, 5 silver and 3 bronze from world championships. 1 silver and 3 bronze from olympics and a silver medal in world cup. This medal can be our last medal for long time so we gotta enjoy. Thanks to these players and legends!

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Vladsky

Let me join in and thank the great generation of Suomi players.

Finland has been my favorite team (after USSR/Russia) since the late 70s, and I was pleased to watch them progress from a perennial whipping boy to a much-feared opponent.

The historic win over the Soviets during 1988 Calgary Olympics signaled the beginning of the new era. Very soon thereafter, Teemu was lighting up the NHL, Suomi NT finally won their WC gold (beating Sweden, of course), and beat the hell out of Russia on more than one occasion.

Here's to Saku, Teemu, Ville, and the rest of the pack! No matter what they say about the future of the Finnish hockey, I am sure that we will see a new Selanne in the next 10 years.

Vladsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Dr Despair

I became a hockey fan during a one-year period in 1992-93. It included Finland advancing to the finals in the World Championships in 92, Selänne's miraculous rookie season with the Jets, and my club team HPK advancing to the SM-liiga finals. Soon after that became the Curt Lindström era, which sealed Saku, Jere and Ville as our national heros.

I'm also one of those people for whome the Finnish top hockey has equaled to Selänne, Koivu, Lehtinen, Peltonen, Numminen etc. I'm old enough to have idolised Kurri, but I didn't care too much about the sport during his years in Edmonton.

I skip the Lindström era for now and jump straigt to Nagano. Nagano was something special. It's actually funny to reminisce the overall atmosphere in Finland before those games. The expectations were so low it's almost unreal. Today, when Team Finland is about to enter a best-play-best tournament, no one is questioning its potential. Sure, we may not be considered a serious contender for the gold, but everybody knows that with a good game plan, tight team cohesion and a lot of fighting spirit, the chances are there. We can create an upset. One day, when all the stars are aligned correctly, we may even go all the way. But in 98 it was a different story. Juhani Tamminen, a self-proclaimed hockey god, stated that anything better than a sixth place would be nothing short of a miracle. In fact, it seemed like many so-called real hockey fans were sneeringly waiting for the star packed hockey powers to give Finland a beating of its life. That would show the silly-little-Karjala-cap-wearing-Curt-Lindström-loving morons what hockey's all about. Those little maggots who took our sport and made it their own. It even seemed to be considered cooler to root for Canada than the soon-to-be-humiliated Finland. Rooting for Finland meant you belonged to the silly little Karjala people. And this talk went on all the way from the autumn of 97. But when it was finally time to walk the walk, the big favorites Canada, USA and Sweden were all knocked out of medals, and Finland found itself wearing bronze. The funny thing is that doing the unthinkable - reaching for the medal - didn't actually take a 100% performance. When the games were over, it fealt like Finland could have done better. Especially that semi-final against Russia (Bure with five goals, Jarmo Myllys's nightmare game) left a sour after taste.

Why did I babble so long about Nagano? Because for me that changed everything. It showed that Finland was actually a factor even in the tournaments where the best are playing the best. And who made it happen? Obviously the whole team - with a lot of guys from the bunch we are commemorating in this thread - but when I hear the word "Nagano", I instantly get the flashback of Selänne scoring the two third period goals in the quarter final against Sweden. Final score 2-1. Watching the game in my dorm room in Otaniemi is among my fondest memories of international hockey.

Some of the next milestones included the WC 2004, the first time ever that Finland was actually aimed for the gold in a best-against-best, and Torino. The semifinal in Torino (against Russia) was the sickest hockey I can remember seeing from Team Finland.

And here we are now. Vancouver 2010. Yet another top-3 finish in a best-against-best. And an end of an era. Time for many of the orchestrators of the previous miracles to call it the career.

I can only say this. Thanks guys for all you've done and I really hope you keep contributing to the Finnish hockey after your game days are over.

Last edited by Dr Despair: 02-28-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Dr Despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne didn't score in this tournament. Let's not forget that.
We might still be in "Big 6" for a few years to come. Only thing I'm concerned about is the defence.
Top 6 in a sport seven nations take seriously, not bad, not bad at all .

Anyway thanks to all the golden oldies.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Despair View Post
but when I hear the word "Nagano", I instantly get the flashback of Selänne scoring the two third period goals in the quarter final against Sweden. Final score 2-1.
That will always be in my mind as well, as that moment when our stars really started to shine internationally. I remember Forsberg walking around the arena like a ghost with his hood drawn over his head, I remember the Swedish media going on about miraculous Sedin twins....and I remember Teppo using the board to pass to Teemu and that little look and turning of his stick blade to fake a pass and a shot straight out of that motion to beat a completely fooled Salo. I remember that powerplay where Lehtinen and Niinimaa tore down the Swedes defense, passed it to Koivu...I remember Teemu tapping his stick on the ice and Saku's perfect pass...and the lightning quick finish from the Flash.

That was THE game. Next game Niinimaa lost to Russia.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

...errrrr memories

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post
Kiprusoff looks a lot different here as he's usually so unemotional-looking.

Good luck to Finland in the future, glad to see they've had a good amount of success over the past 10-12 years. Don't forget in the 2004 World Cup they beat the Americans on American ice to get to the final

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:08 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Kiprusoff looks a lot different here as he's usually so unemotional-looking.

Good luck to Finland in the future, glad to see they've had a good amount of success over the past 10-12 years. Don't forget in the 2004 World Cup they beat the Americans on American ice to get to the final
He really shows some emotion in the after game interview. I feel bad for the guy. He seems a little shy and theres not even a small amount of cockiness in him. Im very happy that he got to play in the bronze medal game and managed to deliver. I would have not changed my view of him after the USA game even if he wouldnt have been allowed to play in todays game. He will always be the #1 goalie for me!

GO KIPPER!! /mancrush

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
MsMeow

I was hoping they'd get silver behind Canada. I love Kimmo and Niitty and liked Kukkonen as a Flyer and have always respected Teemu and Saku. Congrats on the bronze!

MsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Porvari

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
....and I remember Teppo using the board to pass to Teemu and that little look and turning of his stick blade to fake a pass and a shot straight out of that motion to beat a completely fooled Salo.
That's what I'll take away from Selänne's career as well. There was something incredibly un-Finnish about the whole play. After decades of grinding in the shadow of the big boys, it felt -- for lack of a better word -- Brazilian.

Porvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
MoneyandJohnny

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories

Cant forget Teppo also. Wish he would of stayed around for one more year to play in this tournament, he definitely belongs inthe Teemu Saku co.

MoneyandJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:13 PM
BIG BLUE

Olli with some magic last night...a Finn person told me Saku i a post-game interview didn't rule out the next Olympics...

The Canadian NHL panel (McKenzie, Darreng Pang etc.) all agreed last night that Teemu is the nicest player they have ever known in the NHL...that says a lot since there are hundreds of players, and he's been around for 18 years.

congrats to the classy Finns

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:32 PM
SENSfreak_03

While I don't cheer for other countries in International Play, I've always had a tonne of respect for Finland. They have some good talent, but even compared to the other European powers, it doesn't compare.

They play with such heart, and determination and as a team. Unless you're Swedish its pretty hard to hate them.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:34 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

can`t forget when I was there the first time in the first bar the first thing I saw was an autographed Koivu jersey, can`t forget their epic win in 95, can`t forget my visit there when the WC was a few years ago (whole Helsinki was watching the games)!

great country, great hockey, great era of players...thank you!!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Savolainen

Wow, I'm 18 years old now and I had the pleasure to meet Teemu in 1996 when the WHC was in Austria. The finnish team had a training session and my brother, me and my finnish father went to St.Pölten to watch it. And Teemu had the time to come to the boards and talked with my dad and a photograher made a photo where Teemu stands together with me and my brother. It also was in the finnish newspaper Iltalehti.
We also got autographs on our hockey cards and jerseys.
Wow, it really was one of the greatest moments of my life, such a nice person. I can remember the day like it was yesterday!

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
SayNoMore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post

SayNoMore* is offline   Reply With Quote