HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

If Bettman Does Not Continue NHL Participation In The Olympics...

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2010, 05:38 PM
El_Loco_Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
See, I don't think any additional viewers that tuned into today are any different than the people who turn into the Olympics and watch speed skating or snowboarding then don't pay it anymore attention until the next Olympics.
Gee. You think noone starts following hockey due to this?

Sweden/Forsberg Olympics in 94 is the SOLE reason I developed an interest in hockey as a sport.

And having games likes these.. *******. There will be new fans. mostly US based ones too haha.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
So, what should they do to capitalize on it? I still say any non-fan interest is just like the interest shown in any other Olympic sport -- something that happens once every four years.

As an example, it's not unusual for me to watch Olympic basketball, but I still don't really give the NBA the time of day.
Difference is that unlike all the other sports, hockey is ready and available to be watched. It is given the platform of a national network. I don't know how, I'm not a marketing major, it's not me they want to target.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

There will be world class hockey on display in the NHL tomorrow... that's not comparable to the likes of curling, which isn't on TV ever. Hockey is available 9 months out of a year on national TV.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
All I have to say is that I've seen more buzz around hockey over the past week than I see throughout the entire season.

Yea, let's put an end to that immediately.
Precisely, the US has been discussing hockey relentlessly for the duration of these two weeks. It will remain to be see whether or not the NHL benefits from this media out pour down south. I firmly believe it is a possibility if the NHL gets its act together and begins marketing itself properly and not simply being a Sidney Crosby league half the time.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Gee. You think noone starts following hockey due to this?

Sweden/Forsberg Olympics in 94 is the SOLE reason I developed an interest in hockey as a sport.

And having games likes these.. *******. There will be new fans. mostly US based ones too haha.
They'll probably pick up a few here and there. But you'll get an awful lot of "Well. That was fun." followed four years later by "So, is our Olympic hockey team any good this year?"

Old
02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
I agree. I prefer the NHL to the Olympics anyway, so let the NHL guys play in their league and leave the Olympics to the amateur athletes that are supposed to play it.

Olympics are not only for amateurs!
Europe doesn't have amateur hockey players.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I don't care what the sport is in the Olympics just stop sending the pros.
Olympics are not supposed to be about the pros!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Do people not get that any sport can send pros to the Olympics? It's entirely professional aside from a few sports here and there.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Precisely, the US has been discussing hockey relentlessly for the duration of these two weeks. It will remain to be see whether or not the NHL benefits from this media out pour down south. I firmly believe it is a possibility if the NHL gets its act together and begins marketing itself properly and not simply being a Sidney Crosby league half the time.
And lots of people across Canada have been discussing short track speed skating and snowboarding and other Olympic sports. Doesn't mean they'll give them the time of day come tomorrow.

It's one thing to get caught up in a sport when you've set aside a bunch of time to watch the Olympics; it's another to actually fit following a new sport into your schedule.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
You're running about 20-30 years behind the times, my friend.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Bananas

It'll confirm that he's a closet Moe?

Old
02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
TheRealThornton22

Its great for marketing the players in the past 2 weeks I've talked more hockey than ever. People are talking about it. Its great for marketing players, in the past two weeks I've been asked about Parise, Kesler, Miller, Drury, Kane etc its free marketing what is Bettman thinking

Old
RightKinger

Canada winning doesn't really do much for hockey. Win or lose, Canadians would still follow hockey. If the US had won it would been a HUGE boost for the popularity of hockey in the US. I mean getting to the gold game was good but it would have been much better had they won.

Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Uh, the Olympics are an athletic competition between the best in the world.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
The Olympics is a great marketing tool for the NHL, as long as team USA is successful. Few non-fans would be tuning in to watch Sweden/Finland, but millions of non-fans tuned in to watch USA/Canada play for the gold.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
RightKinger

If you don't think this tournament helped hockey and brought in more fans then you don't live in the US. I don't think I've ever seen so many people pay attention to hockey as I have in the past two weeks. I'm talking about people I live around and my neighborhood.

Three of my friends texted me during the game today asking me about some of the rules of hockey since they know I'm a big fan. These are guys that usually don't give a **** about the sport. Bettman will be forced to let them go even if doesn't want to.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
N Bahn Ahden

It's impossible to judge what kind of impact this will have for growing the game. It's entirely speculation. I would think it has a positive impact, but thats really not why I think the NHL should continue. I think they need to recognize that the fans, the people that pay the bills at the end of the day, the people they have to keep happy as customers, they want this. There are a few I've seen who don't like it, but the vast vast majority of NHL fans want the Olympic involvement to continue. The NHL hasn't always looked out for their fans, but in this case I think they really have to.

Old
02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Dom

Bettman's three hours orgasm comes to an end

Seriously, how could the sport have been sold better in North America than with this game.

Canada wins on home soil

America, second, seeking revenge in four years, and seeking to keep Stanley's cup for the 16th consecutive time.

Toews, Keith, Weber, Miller, Parise, Doughty, all in American markets, being the best players of this tournament.

Old
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
the only way it could have been better for bettman would be if the americans had won.

i'm not sure a gold medal loss is great for hockey in the US. People will begin to brush it off saying hockey doesnt matter anyways and start snowboarding more because of shaun white.

02-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
If you don't think this tournament helped hockey and brought in more fans then you don't live in the US. I don't think I've ever seen so many people pay attention to hockey as I have in the past two weeks. I'm talking about people I live around and my neighborhood.

Three of my friends texted me during the game today asking me about some of the rules of hockey since they know I'm a big fan. These are guys that usually don't give a **** about the sport. Bettman will be forced to let them go even if doesn't want to.
Amen. I'm willing to bet most of the people saying 'no' are people already living in hockey-saturated areas. My phone got blown up today for people asking about the sport in general. The NHL would be stupid to not capitalize on the interest.

To the guy that said no, this is for amateurs--if the NHL doesn't go, all the Euro leagues do. It really only puts the North Americans at a disadvantage, and you'd better believe some players will be looking for Olympics clauses in their contracts (if this is even legal--doubt it) or just jumping ship to the KHL or Swedish Elite League et. al.

If I'm an owner, I certainly have a vested interest in protecting my players, as they're my assets. But if you don't see this as an investment opportunity for the entire sport of hockey..

Old
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
FrankG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
The players have signed NHL contracts and are obligated to play for their teams.

If the NHL does not grant them permission to play, the IIHF will not allow them in the tournament.

Even if they tell the league to pound salt, the IIHF can stop them at the door.
But would they ?

Old
02-28-2010, 06:12 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
If the NHL pulls out

I think countries should send the juniors teams to the olympics

Old
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Then he is a ****ing idiot. How was this not good for the sport of hockey? You can't ask for a better game than what we just witnessed, and the whole world was watching it. I'll be furious if the NHL doesn't break for the Olympics in 2014.
The NHL pales in comparison to this game... if he says no to 2014 I will boycott the NHL

Old
02-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Summer too then?

Old
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
If the NHL pulls out

I think countries should send the juniors teams to the olympics
I'd be okay with this.