HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team USA appreciation thread

Old
02-28-2010, 08:17 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Not at all. Wilson has a history of heading up teams that choke or do not perform up to expectation. He is roundly thought of as one of the biggest dicks in the NHL and has no respect amongst his own players. Tortorella would have been a much better choice - he is a winner. Wilson is....and after today continues to be......a total loser.
So you're basing your opinion of Wilson's performance on his reputation, and not what actually happened at the Olympics. You're a lot like Thornton haters, people rag on him because of his reputation without actually sitting down and watching him play. The truth of the matter is that Wilson coached the huge underdog USA squad to a goal away from Olympic gold, and they were IMO the best looking team throughout the tournament too.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
I'm actually kind of pissed at the US team right now. They had no business being in this tournament and they looked like sour-pusses getting silver.

I know they could taste gold. But still, you guys got silver and we weren't even going to ask that much of you. Smile. You did us proud.

Disagree all the way around. This team proved that they believed they could win gold from the start, so to lose should leave a bitter taste in their mouths. You don't win silver, you lose gold, and that's the reality. On a positive note, congrats to Brian Burke, David Poile, Ron Wilson and the players who did a great job competing in this tournament and representing the United States well. Also, congrats to Team Canada. As a team, they overcome considerable diversity to win gold on home ice, capping a great Olympics for North America. Nice job!

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 02-28-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
Canadians see this as a "gold" win. I see it as a 1-1 in the series. Nothing to be ashamed of.
I'll tell you what.

How about Canada agrees to lose every game against the US during the preliminary round if the US agrees to lose every elimination game against Canada?

Sounds like a deal we would both be happy with.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'll tell you what.

How about Canada agrees to lose every game against the US during the preliminary round if the US agrees to lose every elimination game against Canada?

Sounds like a deal we would both be happy with.
Not really understanding your point of posting this. We (USA) are happy that Team USA won Silver and are proud of our success; hence, nothing to be ashamed of.

Yet you saying we should be ashamed of beating Canada once and taking silver? Really?

Get off your high horse

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

That was one hell of a run. Just wait until 2014.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
USA have a better WJC team.
You are aware that the World Juniors isn't best on best right? Canada's top junior aged players are too busy in the NHL to play for Canada.

I'm not trying to take anything away from a great win.. but it's a fact that I'm guessing you didn't know.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Taro Tsujimoto

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
USA! USA! USA!

Gold in 2014, baby!

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Like most people I expected this to be all about Canada and Russia.

The only way the US style of play works, is if you have a stud in goal. This was a very good showing by the US, and I hope Burke gets the nod to GM the team in Sochi.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post

The only way the US style of play works, is if you have a stud in goal. This was a very good showing by the US, and I hope Burke gets the nod to GM the team in Sochi.
Wilson also proved to be an exceptional coach. Two of the U.S. triumphs this year (gold at the WJC's and silver at the Olympics) were the product of world class coaching. This is what we need to compete for gold at each and every tournament moving forward.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Not really understanding your point of posting this.
I see it as a "gold" win because they won the gold.

Quote:
We (USA) are happy that Team USA won Silver and are proud of our success; hence, nothing to be ashamed of.

Yet you saying we should be ashamed of beating Canada once and taking silver? Really?

Get off your high horse
Not at all.

But I don't see the "1-1" thing.

I just don't care about preliminary round games.

They can give you an advantage for when the games really matter, in terms of seeding, but aside from that, mean nothing.

Now that's my personal opinion.

As for the US winning silver, they smoked the Finns and did the job against the Swiss, and they took Canada down to the wire.

They should be proud.

But, in terms of round robin games, Canada's lost to plenty of teams over the years, like Switzerland in 2006. I don't ascribe them the same importance.

The losses I really remember are the ones where we get knocked out (like against the Czechs in '98, the Russians in 2006, or the US in 1996).

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
We won't get any credit from the Canada fans here, but team USA was awesome this year. Nobody predicted us to play today.
A good number of the posts congratulating America and their amazing run are Canadians. So lets hold of on the "Us against the world" pity party ok? The majority of Canadian fans are surprised and impressed by the hell of a squad you guys iced this year.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post

I agree. For a country that doesn't have the talent of some other nations, Burke built a team that could succeed. For that matter, I wouldn't be opposed to Wilson coming back either. The only question would be if their strategy would work on Olympic sized ice?

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:03 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

It was a great ride... great Olympics....

can't wait til Socchi. Oh wait, I'll be 35...nevermind.....I can wait!

love all the NJ people in this thread!!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Darkstar

This team played with heart and determination. They were aggressive and played physical. The future looks bright. Good job boys!

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Sentinel

USA was amazing! I'm really bummed out they lost, was routing for them big time. It's puzzling why they stopped skating in OT, but hey, you can't win them all. They will be dominant in Sochi, I hope the dickheads (Bettman & Co) let them go.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Mr Lahey*

1 - 1 series tie?

Is that a joke?

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:17 PM
abstrusezincate

Send a message via AIM to abstrusezincate Send a message via Yahoo to abstrusezincate
It was a hard day to live in Pittsburgh. I was fully behind Team USA, more than I expected to be before this tournament started, and I am very proud of what they did. I'm used to being on the other side of seeing Crosby do that, but there's no shame in this performance, for either team. I would love to see a rubber match, but such is life.

Anyway, I think the future for US hockey is really bright, and if this helps grow the sport, that will be tremendous. I am looking forward to more international play, and seeing what we do in the future. I really hope the NHL participates in 2014.

Great job, great team play, and congratulations. I think this will only make them hungrier for the next time.

abstrusezincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Hockify

The US: The only team that never lost a game in regulation and when they lost in OT, it was to the very best. The US was better than everyone thought. They are making me forget what happened with Russia and that's pretty amazing lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
Congrats to team USA, you were scary tonight, and in 4 years i wont be surprised if we're on the other side of the end results.

I would like to take this chance to appologize for the rest of canadian fans... some of these threads and the trolls that decided to rear their ugly heads are embarrassing.

I'm sorry we're such awful winners, great game, hockey like i've never seen before.
Looking forward to 2014.
Canada and the US were both fantastic. But there is no tie and only one team can win. The way I see it: because of the expectations on both teams, this was the only way that both teams could win.

Btw you don't have to apologize for any people being jerks. I have nothing to do with US fans who act like idiots and I'm sure you have nothing to do with Canadian fans who act like idiots. When I was reading what all the morons posted I said that I'd come back later when the normal people would drown out their stupidity. So thank you for that.

You know what I think I will miss rooting for Ryan Miller. Maybe I have to start rooting for a third NY team?

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
AquaticBirdman

Full marks to the U.S. for this olympic performance. Although very talented, not many people tipped this team to be a legitimate gold medal threat over the likes of Canada, Russia, Sweden, or even the Czechs. Yet in the end, their resiliency, heart, and determination took them the distance. Nothing but respect for this group that Burke and Wilson put together.

Also, a lot of people became rather skeptical regarding the state of U.S. hockey for the present and future now that old guard (Roenick, Modano, Tkachuk, Weight, Chelios, Guerin, Hull, Amonte, etc.) are either long gone, or nearing the end of their careers. Needless to say though, based on what we've seen over the last 2 weeks, the future of U.S. hockey has never looked BRIGHTER!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
De Montreal
help

I thought USA made a big mistake by avoiding Gionta and Gomez on their lineup, but they really surprised me. Played very good hockey, and Brian Burke's style.

I really liked that I saw from Joe Pavelski, too. He was a bit unknown to me untl now.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
wpghockey

Great job team USA!!! You all proved that a team can be more than the sum of its parts. On paper only Miller and Parise would even make team Canada, and you made it OH SO CLOSE! A fantastic job to each and every one of you! I'm just glad the good guys still managed to pull out the win! A fantastic tournament for everyone..players, fans and media alike.

wpghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Cashew

I think I'm gonna cry...

Cashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:43 PM
invictus

It sucks we lost, but I know that the gold means so much more to the entire nation of Canada than it would to the US. So, I'm alright with how it went down. Thankfully it was Sid that did us in and not someone I hate, haha.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
milkman

USA 7
CANADA 6

USA WINS
It was a "MN nice" gesture to give them the Gold

milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
milkman

[The team scoring most goals wins]
USA 7
CANADA 6

USA WINS
It was a "MN nice" gesture to give them the Gold

Last edited by milkman: 03-01-2010 at 12:16 AM.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote