HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

This draft's 1st 3 rounds

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 500
This draft's 1st 3 rounds

I am curious to who other fans would like to see drafted in the upcoming draft in june. IMO the oiler's needs include legit scoring wingers, a top goal tending prospect and a future top pairing defenseman would be nice, emphasis on offense in regards to the rearguard.

Players i would be trying to aquire in this first 3 rounds of this years draft from a EDM perspective(without trading up for a top 10 pick):

fowards: Picard, Radulov, Lisin, Bickell, Lappeenranta, Voloshenko, Kaspar
Defensemen: Green, Meszaros, Valabik, Smid, Schultz, Lepisto
Goaltenders: Dubnyk, Schwarz, Montoya, Shantz

My favourite scenario: 1st pick - Picard, 2nd pick - Schultz/Lepisto, 3rd pick - Dubnyk

Would love to see KLowe go out on draft day and gather another high 2nd round pick, could be a few gems, and i am confident we will make good with our picks this year. Our scouting, stock piling of picks, and buidling towards the future should give us great depth, and place us high in the organizational rankings in that category. This is one year where i will be glad if we go even'steven with our picks, no trading up or down. There will be good players at our picks, and it would cost too much too move up to grab a "Franchise player", and moving down flat out makes little sense to me this year. After the top 20, its a total crapshoot, but hopefully KP & Co. can make us contenders through the draft, albeit no top 10 picks to ever work with.

Edit: Any other info on these prospects would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 04-29-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old
04-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I´m hoping for:

1st pick: Chipchura or Picard
2nd pick: Cory Schneider
3rd pick: Blake Wheeler

Old
04-28-2004, 06:27 AM
hunter orange

My fingers are crossed for:

1st first rounder: Picard
2nd first rounder: Sindel
2nd rounder: Dubnyk

Old
04-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Master Lok

Too difficult to predict. 1st - BPA, 2nd - BPA, 3rd - BPA.

Old
04-28-2004, 01:32 PM
surixon

1st Picard
2nd Dubynic
3rd Reddox (im taking a flyer here, as Reddox has speed to burn and is a natural sniper, led team Canadas u 18 team in scoring with 6g and 1a. The only problem is his size, but he seems like he could be another Lombardi.)

Old
04-28-2004, 01:50 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I would go with Picard, Trade up a few spots with Philly's pick for Lisen then grab the best goalie avail with our first second, likely Dubnyk

That was we get a sniper, a speedy forward and a goalie. I consider all goalie drafts a crap shoot anyways so I think we should take one with our 2nd round pick, NOT a first one. I am not sold on Schwarz or Montoya yet

Old
04-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Slats432

From recent reports Shantz outplayed Dubnyk by a fair margin in the OHL playoffs....going to be a crapshoot for goalies...

Schwartz
Montoya
Dubnyk
Shantz
Schneider
Brown

Old
04-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Asiaoil

first 1st round pick - Picard or Chipchura

second 1st round pick - Smid (or best available dman)

2nd round pick - Shantz or Dubnyk (best available goalie)

forward-dman-goalie

but let's really hope that Philly does not win the cup this year or there is no way we get Smid at #30

Old
04-28-2004, 05:34 PM
YKOil

My number one choice would be, without a doubt:

Picard.

A sniping power forward who has, by all reports, picked it up a notch in the play-offs. This is a guy that Lowe should be fully prepared to move up in the draft to take.

After that I would like to see one of:

Schwartz, Montoya, Dubnyk (put my money on Dub)

Anything goes after that.

YKOil

Old
04-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Lowetide

Picard, Dubnyk, Wheeler.

Old
04-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Picard, Dubnyk, Wheeler.
I'm with Lowetide on this one.

Old
04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
first 1st round pick - Picard or Chipchura

second 1st round pick - Smid (or best available dman)

2nd round pick - Shantz or Dubnyk (best available goalie)

forward-dman-goalie

but let's really hope that Philly does not win the cup this year or there is no way we get Smid at #30
I like the way you think. maybe with the second first rounder a guy like Kasper or another sniper like that.because i dought Picard will be around at number 15.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Dangerdanger

There will be someone with good skills available when the Oil pick at #14, whether its stafford, radulov, picard, or chipchura, or any one of green or oneill on the back end. I would hate to see the oiler's pick a goalie with the first pick, even though most mock drafts I have seen have them picking montoya or schwarz. Goalie's are just far too much of a crapshoot and its way too easy for them to get off track on their careers, whereas goalies picked in later rounds seem to be easier to find. Picard is definitely my number one choice though, although I have a feeling wolski might still be around.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:10 PM
speeds

I think I'm a bigger fan of Schneider than Dubnyk, from what I've read, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Blue Bullet

1st round pick: Alexander Radulov
runners up: Drew Stafford, Alexandre Picard
1st round (via Philly) Pick: Andrej Meszaros
runners up: Oscar Hedman, Johan Fransson
2nd round pick: T.J. Hensick
runners up: Blake Wheeler, Travis Zajac, David Shantz, Petteri Nokelainen

Old
04-29-2004, 01:25 PM
outKast*

1st. (14th) move up for Tukonen, Picard, Shremph
1st. (25th) Johannes Salomonsson
2nd. Marcus Nyberg/Fredrik Naslund (one or both will be gone by then)
3rd. Travis Zajac

Old
04-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I think I'm a bigger fan of Schneider than Dubnyk, from what I've read, but I guess we'll see how it goes.
I agree. If they're going to take a goalie late in the first, I'd prefer Schneider to Dubnyk, personally.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
I like the way you think. maybe with the second first rounder a guy like Kasper or another sniper like that.because i dought Picard will be around at number 15.
I don't have any real reason to feel this way about Chipchura - I just think he may be a guy that makes everyone regret passing on him next year. Picard is less of a risk - but Chipchura's offense just may come around and that's the only thing keeping him out of the top group.

I'm also liking the way Shantz is carrying the Ice Dogs in the playoffs.

Old
04-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I've been told there are three excellent goalies in the draft and then it drops to four or five who are also very good but a step down from the top 3.

top 3 in reverse alphabeticle order: Shwarz, Montoya, Dubnyk.

Next level: guys like Justin Peters, David Shantz (might be good now but sucked bad at the prospects game), Julien Ellis, Cory Schneider and Magnus Akerlund.

I would be surprised if all three of the first group are available when EDM picks again in the first round and if one was, I would be shocked if EDM didn't grab one of them.

Old
04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I don't have any real reason to feel this way about Chipchura - I just think he may be a guy that makes everyone regret passing on him next year. Picard is less of a risk - but Chipchura's offense just may come around and that's the only thing keeping him out of the top group.

I'm also liking the way Shantz is carrying the Ice Dogs in the playoffs.
Ya i was looking through his stats he was going about a point a game untill he hurt himself so the offence is there like you said he's a keeper in my books.

Old
05-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I've been told there are three excellent goalies in the draft and then it drops to four or five who are also very good but a step down from the top 3.

top 3 in reverse alphabeticle order: Shwarz, Montoya, Dubnyk.

Next level: guys like Justin Peters, David Shantz (might be good now but sucked bad at the prospects game), Julien Ellis, Cory Schneider and Magnus Akerlund.

I would be surprised if all three of the first group are available when EDM picks again in the first round and if one was, I would be shocked if EDM didn't grab one of them.
I have also heard that with the playoff perfomances Shantz shot up the rankings(Peters climbed as well) and Dubnyk fell. Also a wildcard is David Brown the 2nd ranked NCAA guy. RLR has been talking about the guy for two years and he set a new school record for shutouts(4) with Notre Dame. (Interesting fact is Dave Poulin is the head coach and the guy that spearheaded the change in the NCAA opt in rule that gives the teams shots at Stafford, O'Neill, and Thelen.)
I think after Schwarz and Montoya, there is little to choose between Dubnyk, Shantz, Peters and Schneider. (And of course David Brown would make a good mid round pick.)

Last edited by Slats432: 05-01-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old
05-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
I have also heard that with the playoff perfomances Shantz shot up the rankings(Peters climbed as well) and Dubnyk fell. Also a wildcard is David Brown the 2nd ranked NCAA guy. RLR has been talking about the guy for two years and he set a new school record for shutouts(4) with Notre Dame. (Interesting fact is Dave Poulin is the head coach and the guy that spearheaded the change in the NCAA opt in rule that gives the teams shots at Stafford, O'Neill, and Thelen.)
I think after Schwarz and Montoya, there is little to choose between Dubnyk, Shantz, Peters and Schneider. (And of course David Brown would make a good mid round pick.)
1st round - Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Chipchura and Schremp won't all go in the top 7 or 8, so can the Oilers move up 5 spots for the ninth? They couldn't last year when they wanted one of the big 3 d-men, maybe they'll put more on the table this time around.

2nd pick, 1st round - RW Yeah it's not normal to draft by position, especially in the second round, but the Oil have a lot of lw and d prospects already and if they get a c with their first rounder then it's time to start stocking the r side.

We have Dvo and Hemsky on that side now, after that there's noone in the org that's close to being an nhl'er that plays with skill there.

After those two picks I couldn't care less what the Oil do.

Old
05-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!

2nd pick, 1st round -
I would like to see a goaltender here without a doubt unless someone that is far and away the BPA.

Old
05-01-2004, 05:08 PM
copperaddict

Just wanted to get your opinions on the best websites to get information on the 2004 draft class.

Old
05-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
stay tuned to HF then... the draft center is in the works and should be up soon. It will have a ton of bios and stuff and unlike Redline, mcKeen's or whoever else is out there... HF is free!

Closed Thread