HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

MY 2010 Olympic final MVP - Chris Pronger. Pick yours.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
CoRD
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
Neidermayer

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Suter and Toews

Suter has gotten monster ice times in every medal game, he set up a great pass that could've been a goal and was the best puck mover that game

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
HockeyAustralia

Miller and the USA has the best GA and his defence consisted of Jack and Erik Johnson among others...sorry but these guys are good (and young), but canada had weber, pronger, neidermayer etc

Is it fair to say that Canadas "worst" defenceman > USA's "best" defenceman?

my vote goes to Miller for the Tournament MVP, purely for his domination and the defence he played behind.

Last edited by HockeyAustralia: 03-01-2010 at 07:01 PM.
HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Hal 9000*

Miller can't be the most valuable player in the game yesterday - they lost, they could have lost with anybody in net. The whole tournament MVP might be a different story.

The MVP yesterday could only be Crosby....with Luongo a close second.

No matter how much anyone hates Lu, he pretty much saved canada's azz this olympics.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Nash - Toews - Richards

doughty-weber

my mvps, i love richards man what a player, lucky philly

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAustralia View Post
Is it fair to say that Canadas "worst" defenceman > USA's "best" defenceman?
Not even remotely. Rafalski was one of the best defensemen throughout the tournament. Suter was a stud, from start to finish. They were better than Niedermayer's start. Pronger's start. Seabrook. And a couple of games from Boyle, Keith, and even Doughty or Weber(in his first game, IMO).

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Miller can't be the most valuable player in the game yesterday - they lost, they could have lost with anybody in net. The whole tournament MVP might be a different story.

The MVP yesterday could only be Crosby....with Luongo a close second.

No matter how much anyone hates Lu, he pretty much saved canada's azz this olympics.
Eberle was the MVP in the WJHC Championship game, but his team lost. Winning or losing doesn't change a great performance. It's just that in this case I don't think Miller was better than a number of other players, just like Luongo wasn't.

Old
03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

And while I thought Crosby had a solid performance, one goal does not make an MVP performance in a single game. Maybe for the media it would, but in a 60+ minute game he was not as good as other players.

It was a very clutch goal by Crosby, but it was not an MVP worthy performance.

Old
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
ronnyweed

favourite part is that the best defencman in the tourney missed his assignment on whoever 87 in white was, then that same 87 scored on the best goaltender in the tourney.

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
GaryU

Canada's D (outside of Doughty-Keith) was not good & was the main reason Canada almost missed the medals...Pronger, not good...Boyle bad early, got better..Nieds, pretty ordinary...Tough to rap on Seabrook considering Babcock made him #7..

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Canada
Luongo
Toews

Tie for me.

USA
Miller
Parise

Tie also!

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Many have received first star or MVP of a series and not won the game/series.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
How is a goalie "beaten" on a shot that isn't going in the net?
Yeah, most goalies are so good they can tell within mm whether the puck is going in or not. It's a wonder they just don't step aside since they can predict it so well.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
Canada's D (outside of Doughty-Keith) was not good & was the main reason Canada almost missed the medals...Pronger, not good...Boyle bad early, got better..Nieds, pretty ordinary...Tough to rap on Seabrook considering Babcock made him #7..
I didn't like our defense at all. But, Keith and Doughty were not the best given all their gaffes. Weber had a big lead on them in terms of play, but that give away he made in the dying seconds was really costly. The D did step up offensively though. Just wish they were more reliable in the defensive zone. I think if JBo had been selected, we would've had better options when we needed to shut down the opposition.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
...Someone mentioned it before but Canada's D did a great job of keeping the U.S. forwards away from the front of the net, ...
A great job? I can think of three occasions alone where Brown handled our D and crashed the net. The US forwards got to the net more than they should have. And it really cost us with the tying goal. Two guys untouched in the crease and behind our defense. Not good.

Quote:
and thus the rebounds didn't cost them save for the Parise goal.
What? Luongo had 2 saves on that play. The one off the hard deflection from Langenwhatever's skate and Parise digging and whacking it until it went it. Loungo's rebound control was good. He directed most of them to corners or the walls away from danger. There was a few he could have adsorbed, but no goalie gets them all. Name one where he kicked it to an open forward in the slot say the way Miller did.
Quote:
To be honest I can't think of one player who really stood out above the rest for Canada; it truly was a group effort that got them the Gold.
I agree with that point. But, that's why I chose Luongo. He had more pressure on him them anyone else by far, he was out there for a full 60 and only gave up 2 goals (1 that was offside and deflected and another by terrible d-coverage). A 0.941 Sv% and only 2 GA (1 that shouldn't have counted) is a pretty good result for any goalie at any time, never mind a championship game.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
EdmFlyersfan

Miller was the Tourny's MVP

I think on Canada the most consistent forward was Mike Richards, he brought it all ever game, and did 90% of the work on Canada's 1st goal scored by Toews in the Gold medal game.

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Lundface

I don't see how people are picked Miller as an MVP for the final game. He was good, but in no way was he an MVP.

Canada and USA had similar chances and shots on goal( 36 to 39). There was a shot chart here earlier (from ctv) that showed where most of the shots were from. Both had a very similar pattern, so it's not like Miller was peppered this game.

The fact that he let in the OT goal on a half chance almost diminishes his chance at being an MVP for the game. For the USA, the game MVP was either Kesler, Parise, or Suter. Take your pick.

Also I find it odd how people are seeing Luongos game. He wasn't at his best, neither was Miller. The majority of Luongo's rebounds were kicked far in the corners or blockered high up into the slot. These pucks aren't really dangerous, as the opposing player would have catch it, bring it down then fire it.

In my opinion this was extremely smart of him. The US scored goals from in tight, whether on deflections, rebounds or bang bang plays. He neutralized their crease crashing in a big way by knocking these pucks past the oncoming American forwards.

A dangerous rebound is one where you leave right infront of you, like Miller on Toews or Luongo on Parise. Neither goal can be faulted for those goals, but those are dangerous rebounds.

Now I know his glove hand was off, and this wasn't just this game. The whole tournament he was VERY reluctant to catch pucks. He was either knocking them down and covering them, or catching them with his palm facing the shooter. He has one of the best, if not the best, gloves in the game. If you watch him enough you'll figure this out. The only explanation can be the fact that he was forced to use a different glove than the one he is accustomed too due to IIHF equipment restrictions.

Anyways, anytime a goalie makes 34 saves and has a .944 % in a gold medal game, he has to be considered for team MVP. I named 3 for USA, so for Canada I would have to say Toews, Nash, Luongo in that order. HM to the defence as a core, they were wonderful at moving the puck all tournament. They had some major errors in covering the front of their net, but in terms of puck distribution they were wonderful.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:49 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Niedermayer.
He did/does so many little things that go unnoticed by most. Scott was excellent despite being out of position on the 2nd goal.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:06 AM
SidTheKid8787

Toews, Nash, Luongo in that order. HM to Keith, Weber, Pronger, Neidermeyer.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote