HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Post-Olympics: Evaluate the Performance of the Sharks Players!

Old
02-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Post-Olympics: Evaluate the Performance of the Sharks Players!

Let's discuss individual performances of the 8 Olympians from our team.

I'll start:

Evgeni Nabokov - pathetic performance. Two of his favorite goals against Latvia (five hole, glove side breakaway); and then horrendous performance against Canada. I don't blame him for the first three goals but he straight up choked. I hope he gets his mojo back in the reg. season. D

Thomas Greiss - made some good saves. Had bad defense in front of him but I hoped for a more clutch performance. I think he proved he's not ready to be a starter just yet (contrary to my belief). C

Joe Pavelski - disappointed with his performance overall. His teammates had something to do with it but he seemed to lack intensity and inability to just take over. He played an important part in US' tying goal, so I hope he learns from that come playoffs. C

Joe Thornton
- he wasn't bad, but he wasn't good. I was very impressed with him defensively, however offensively, he just wasn't there. Lacked the intensity and made passive plays. C

Dany Heatley
- been putting up points against lesser teams and disappeared (from the scoresheet) in the last few. Really liked the effort though; he seems like a guy who does step it up in big games. B-

Douglas Murray - can't say a lot about his game, because I've only seen a couple of Sweden games. From what I've seen, he is his usual self - slow, good along the boards and throws big hits on regular basis. B

Patrick Marleau - he looked like Jonathan Cheechoo offensively, shooting at goalies' chests but he did bring speed, penalty killing and most importantly, seemed like he cared. Played an important part on Perry's goal, even though he didn't get the assist. I'm sure he'd do better on our team, where he gets 1st line minutes. B

Dan Boyle - the best Olympian we have. Eating up huge minutes, doing well defensively (but he did have Pronger on his side), and putting up points (3 points against Russia). Not a surprise really. He's our guy in the playoffs. Didn't like the slewfoot but I doubt it's gonna happen again. A

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:02 PM
one2gamble

Evgeni Nabokov - Despite getting dominated by Canada the Russians had a ****** Defensive core and he played solid enough in Russias other matchups. C-

Thomas Greiss - His team was terrible and he was hung out to dry on most of his goals. I wasnt expecting a lot from him but we saw both his plus side and his down side in this tournament. B

Joe Pavelski - He didnt do much at all but his line mates were terrible. The end of the third shows his ability with solid line mates. Essentially cementing his place as a solid second line center. C

Joe Thornton[/B] - He played well enough with his low ice time numbers. He isnt fast enough at this level to be a true game breaker. He set up a multitude of shots and was relatively strong on the boards. His job was to be defensively aware and he was. C+/B-

Dany Heatley
- The effort was there, was more physical than I was expecting. B-

Patrick Marleau - His shot has been off for a few weeks now, not sure why but the scoring touch is definitely gone and that had something to do with the lack of points put up by this line. He was a monster on the forecheck and created plenty of chances. B

Douglas Murray - can't say a lot about his game, because I've only seen a couple of Sweden games. From what I've seen, he is his usual self - slow, good along the boards and throws big hits on regular basis. B

Dan Boyle - Boyle started slow but was a monster towards the end A

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
King Awesome Dawg

The two guys who matter most, Nabokov and Joe, once again came up short. They both have no clutch ability whatsoever. We're going nowhere with both of them, lets be honest. People can continue to hope the light will click on for both, but it's not going to.

We can continue to make excuses for them, but mediocrity doesn't win in the playoffs. And that is what both those guys consistently are. Either mediocre, or plain trash. This tournament, and years of history are proof.

King Awesome Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Ummm, plagiarism much?
j/k

Old
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
wishman

vCash: 145
Agree with most. Would probably lower Boyle a little bit as he was pretty tentative in some the earlier games. Maybe give him a B+. I would probably rate Pavelski a little higher. No, he didn't generate a lot of chances. But he was great on the faceoff and on the PK. Maybe give him a C+.

I still think Thornton must be hurt some how. His puck possession was terrible. Even when he is playing his tentative style, he is still usually good with the puck. But not for most of this tournament. I noticed this in the last 4-5 Sharks games as well.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Nabokov: Very shaky throughout the entire tournament, but he probably didn't expect that playing for Russia was actually a defensive downgrade from playing for the Sharks. Final Grade: D

Pavelski: Up and down almost on a game-to-game basis, but he is solidfying himself as a legitimate big-game player, helping to create the tying goal with 24 seconds left in the Gold Medal game. Still, could be more consistent. B-

Marleau: I thought he was fantastic throughout the entire Olympics. It is clear that he was one of Babcock's most trusted forwards, as he was out their killing penalties in major situations. Surprisingly physical. If he plays this game in the playoffs, the Sharks will be alright. B+

Heatley: Clearly we underestimated this man and his big-game ability. He was Canada's best forward until the last 2-3 games of the tournament, and his nose for the net is something that I think could be the difference come playoff time. Solid performance. B

Thornton: He did not rack up points, but on this team, that wasn't his role. The Sharks line was Canada's most consistent, and I was most impressed with his sudden dedication to defense, including backchecking. Playing first-line minutes, the points will come. It's the little things that I like to see from him that he did so well. He was flying out there early today. He even took a shot from the top of the circles, which is a rare occurence. That said, there were several times he passed up shots during the tournament (gasp, JT would never do that!), and until today, he was a little soft. Encouraging to see him do the little things, because we know he is going to put up points. C+

Boyle: Simply outstanding. He showed us why he is a true leader and the heart and soul of this team. Challenged by Babcock after the Germany game, he lifted his game to another level on the biggest of stages. A slow start was more than made up for by his last few performances, when everything was on the line. A

Greiss: Hard to get a read on him, considering he played behind a laughable defense and a forward group as potent as non-alcoholic beer. Strong start to the Olympics, but he trailed off towards the end, including allowing several soft goals to Belarus. C-

Murray: Swedish fans adore this guy, and were clamoring for him to play more. That tells me that he did his job to a T. A

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=54608.html

CP ranks Canadian Olympians. (On a scale of 1 to 10; 10 the best)
Quote:
Dan Boyle: Did a nice job of controlling puck, helping team's transition game. 7.
Patrick Marleau: Really showed up in the defensive zone in razor-thin game. 7.

Dany Heatley: Has scored so many goals for Canada, but missed a great opportunity on the doorstep. 6.

Joe Thornton: Contributed what he could but seemed to struggle at times with pace of game. 6.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:35 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Mighty disappointed with our goaltenders.
I just hope that they are able to shake it off and play strong for the rest of the season.

NeverSayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

Interesting statistic:

Thornton has 2 points in the entire tournament. Wanna see a list of skaters who had less? Bergeron, Seabrook.
He made 4 shots on goal. Wanna know who has less? Bergeron, Pronger, Seabrook.
He also ended up with -1. Wanna see one other player with a negative +/-? Bergeron.

Mother****er!

Old
02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Ryan Miller: Amazing. Clutch. A+

Oh, this thread is only for current Sharks, not future ones?

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Nobody stood out really though Boyle and Marleau were the best of the lot.

Nabby D+ Below average and outplayed by Breeze. Ruskies needed him to step up to win.

Murray - Incomplete - I didn't get to watch him. NBC ... .

Boyle A- Played pretty solid. Carried the puck up, stepped into the play and was a good presence on the PP.

Heatley B
Looked for his spots and did a good job on the back check. I liked the effort.

Pavs B Played a solid role. He was 70% on face offs and like normal, seemed to be in the right place to make a play. USA doesn't get to OT without him winning the draw, getting the puck low, and then back to the slot.

Thornton C more of a role player in this series too. Pretty average.

Marleau B+
The most active of any of the forwards. He played well with anyone he was put with. Used his speed and went to the net.

Greiss C-
If the Sharks have to depend on him to win a playoff game, we wont. He is good handling the puck but is not ready for prime time.

Canada has better cougars......

02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

I'm disappointed with the goaltenders.

Not so much Griess as he didn't have much of a team to help him out. I'm not sure if was rusty from lack of play, the team failed to support him or he just sucked. Probably a bit of all three. I had really hoped he's have played better and kept his games closer, perhaps made some supper saves, etc. As a result, his stock went down in my opinion and i'm not sure about his ability to perform in pressure situations and or even in the NHL as a starter.

Nabby is different. Clearly his team was better and more competitive, yet he failed in a pressure situation. I know he has the skills, experience and a competitive team in front of him, at this point i'm thinking it's all mental with him. He somehow just can't get to another notch in pressure/playoff kind of situations. I hope he can figure this out before the playoffs or in the future - maybe he needs some kind of sports psychologist to get past this.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I guess I'm wondering if the Sharks line was best during the "regular season" portion of the Olympic tournament (i.e. the preliminary round) and then was largely invisible for the "playoff" portion of the Olympic tournament (i.e. the elimination games).

When the Canadian team dialed up the intensity, the Sharks line didn't, and they became less and less important as the tournament went on.

Boyle was the best player by far in terms of a Shark.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I guess I'm wondering if the Sharks line was best during the "regular season" portion of the Olympic tournament (i.e. the preliminary round) and then was largely invisible for the "playoff" portion of the Olympic tournament (i.e. the elimination games).

When the Canadian team dialed up the intensity, the Sharks line didn't, and they became less and less important as the tournament went on.

I think that has more to do with the rest of Team Canada finally finding the right combinations and so on.
Early on, the players were being shuffled from one shift to the next, while the Sharks line was the only one with any chemistry.

I think our Sharks played well and did what was expected of them.
They provided much needed instant connection, a line their coach could rely on immediately when other lines were still rounding into form.
Very proud of their effort.

Old
02-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Nobody stood out really though Boyle and Marleau were the best of the lot.

Nabby D+
Boyle A- PP.

Heatley C+

Thornton C-

Marleau C+

[B]
I added my take...thought Thornton was a slug, not significant plays and a ghost tnoght...Heatley and Marleau were non factors and Heatley misses several key opportunities.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Dan Boyle-He was a rock on the back end and played very well. Slow start but after Babcock challenged him he stepped up big time. A

Evgeni Nabokov-Very shakey in net, looked like he didn't trust the defense in front of him (for good reason) had a bad game against Canada. D

Thomas Greiss-Had a good opening game but I think Germany should have stuck with him after that I think that kind of set him back a little and he wasn't great when he got back in net. C-

Doug Murray-Was a physical force in his limited minutes with Sweden and made smart plays with the puck. B+

Joe Pavelski-He was solid throughout the tournament, he didn't put up big numbers but he won faceoffs and was a key to putting the game into overtime. B

Dany Heatley-He scored goals, hustled on the backcheck and played with alot of passion. He was solid for Canada. B+

Joe Thornton-Like many have said he wasn't great and wasn't awful, I thought he played well today and was a little more physical than usual. C

Patrick Marleau-Was the best SJ forward, he played fast and hard and physical and he needs to keep shooting so hopefully he can find the touch again. B+

All in all I thought it was a decent showing.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

I just realized that when I read his posts trashing the SJ line in another thread.
Well, as I expected, it seems to have turned out to be a no win scenario for the Sharks, but I am still very proud of them!
Hopefully they are not too burned out.

Last edited by Patty Ice: 03-01-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
02-28-2010, 09:55 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Thornton and Nabby sucked. Period.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayNever View Post
I just realized that when I read his posts trashing the SJ line in another thread.
Well, as I expected, it seems to have turned out to be a no win scenario for the Sharks, but I am still very proud of them!
Hopefully they are not too burned out.
Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

The Sharks line went from being Canada's best line at the beginning to Canada's worst line against Russia, the Slovaks and the US.

Considering I was sporting a Boyle avatar for the Olympics, it's not like I have a hate on for the Sharks or anything.

Old
02-28-2010, 10:12 PM
SC2008

Quote:

Such a dumb statement. Marleau was amazing. There's was one stretch in the 3rd where he single-handedly forechecked USA in their own end for what felt like an eternity.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Kitten Mittons

I do agree that the Sharks line has been the worst (as a line) in the playoffs; however, individually, I had no problem with them.

Except for Thornton - to repeat myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Interesting statistic:

Thornton has 2 points in the entire tournament. Wanna see a list of skaters who had less? Bergeron, Seabrook.
He made 4 shots on goal. Wanna know who has less? Bergeron, Pronger, Seabrook.
He also ended up with -1. Wanna see one other player with a negative +/-? Bergeron.

Mother****er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Such a dumb statement. Marleau was amazing. There's was one stretch in the 3rd where he single-handedly forechecked USA in their own end for what felt like an eternity.
I think it was Boyle.

Last edited by Patty Ice: 03-01-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Quote:
Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

The Sharks line went from being Canada's best line at the beginning to Canada's worst line against Russia, the Slovaks and the US.

Considering I was sporting a Boyle avatar for the Olympics, it's not like I have a hate on for the Sharks or anything.
That's alright.
You are entitled to your opinion, and you are welcome to share it here.

I have a question though.
What exactly did they do to be labeled "worst line"?
Did they give up three goals a game?
Did they score own goals?

Sure, not everything shows up on the scoresheet, and yes Thornton was frustrating.
And to quote you, they were Canada's "best line" in the first few games when the rest of the team was trying to figure out the right combinations, so in my opinion, they helped the team more than perhaps you give them credit for.

Old
02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
Thornton and Nabby sucked. Period.
Yep ... the two players that I really wanted to see step up. Hm ... they must have thought it was the 2009 playoffs.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Ummm, plagiarism much?
j/k
well i quoted your entire post and only changed what i disagreed with

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
That's alright.
I have a question though.
What exactly did they do to be labeled "worst line"?
Did they give up three goals a game?
Did they score own goals?
What I noticed is that they didn't compete as hard as the other lines.

They didn't play as physical, they didn't forecheck as hard, and they tended to play at the perimeter instead of driving the net. Passes across the zone would get picked off.

Marleau would get the odd rush along the wing and he'd shoot at the logo of the goalie.

Canada's momentum as a team would die whenever they'd go out there. Thornton and Heatley were also relatively slow on the backcheck.

As a fan of Team Canada, I did not want them on the ice. They didn't create enough offensive chances and they didn't compete as hard as the other lines in their own end.

Quote:
Sure, not everything shows up on the scoresheet, and yes Thornton was frustrating.
And to quote you, they were Canada's "best line" in the first few games when the rest of the team was trying to figure out the right combinations, so in my opinion, they helped the team more than perhaps you give them credit for.
Well, I wanted to make that clear because I watched every game of the tournament and early on they were important.

Also, they were decent as a PP unit but that didn't involve the same kind of pressure.

For the record, I'm not extrapolating this into any kind of prediction for the Sharks. It's apples and oranges.

I'm just saying that, as of the Russia game through the Slovakia and US games, they were the worst of the four lines IMO. How much of that was Thornton I'm not sure.

Now, they didn't lose any games over that stretch so naturally there's a limit to that kind of criticism.

As for Boyle, he might have been Canada's MVP in the all-important Canada-Russia game. Him or Nabokov.

It's not like my Senators were particularly great in the tournament. Volchenkov got lit up, Alfredsson was ok but Sweden choked out, and Michalek, while exciting, did not finish his opportunities enough to help his team. Ruutu was decent. Kuba was a non-factor.