HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Olympics: Evaluate the Performance of the Sharks Players!

Old
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Thanks Barrie (and O2G). Appreciate the breakdown on age outs. Also appreciate confirmation on Kessel.

On Canada, I figure centers who play the wing like Marleau and Staal have a far better chance. I was impressed with Staal. I wasn't impressed with Nash. On the center issue, I figure that Crosby and Toews will lock the top two spots. Then its Getzlaf, Stamkos, Thornton, Bergeron, and Duchene. I don't think Tavares is going to even make it. JT and Getzlaf have to make the third line spot because they really aren't suited to a utility/4th line role.

One afterthought. Again assuming participation in 2014. I figure Okposo gets a spot for the US. He is good for both his setups and shot and he is right up there with Backes for his ability to bang.
i really don't know about getzlaf, but when canada has used thornton in a shut down role (04 world cup), he got high praise for his job centering that line.

i know people won't believe me, but it is one thing that keeps getting thornton invited to play for team canada at these high pressured tournaments (even though half the fans in the world think he's a choker and sucks) is that thornton no matter what you ask of him, he will go out and do it. be it the go to guy offensively (05 world championships), 4th line shut down center (04 world cup), and in the 2010 olympics i really don't know what the sharks line role truely was, it wasn't the full on shut down line (that was toews line), it wasn't a scoring line (getzlaf and crosby's line), and if that line was asked to be a scoring line, then babcock still didn't have a problem with thorntons lack of production on the line. considering he called out crosby and iginla. iginla had 3 goals, and crosby had like 5 points in the games they were respectively called out on.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
SC2008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i really don't know about getzlaf, but when canada has used thornton in a shut down role (04 world cup), he got high praise for his job centering that line.

i know people won't believe me, but it is one thing that keeps getting thornton invited to play for team canada at these high pressured tournaments (even though half the fans in the world think he's a choker and sucks) is that thornton no matter what you ask of him, he will go out and do it. be it the go to guy offensively (05 world championships), 4th line shut down center (04 world cup), and in the 2010 olympics i really don't know what the sharks line role truely was, it wasn't the full on shut down line (that was toews line), it wasn't a scoring line (getzlaf and crosby's line), and if that line was asked to be a scoring line, then babcock still didn't have a problem with thorntons lack of production on the line. considering he called out crosby and iginla. iginla had 3 goals, and crosby had like 5 points in the games they were respectively called out on.
I agree. Thornton line seemed more like a bridge line. Keep up the pressure while the top two scoring lines rested. Heatley and Marleau seemed to get off a ton of shots. Sharks line also provided stability in the prelims, while Babcock tinkered with the other three.

As much flak the Sharks got, I felt they did a good job.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote