HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Do you want NHLers in the Olympics in 2014?

View Poll Results: Do you want NHLers in the Olympics in 2014?
Yes 238 92.25%
No 20 7.75%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 500
No Sidney Crosby you say? Then no ... NO!

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:27 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
i'm thinking the 22 players on my toronto team (2 players from GTA and 0 players from Toronto) is much more random than the players on team canada (at least the players actually represent the name)
Toronto is where they play their games. Who the heck cares where they came from?

Toronto fans have loved players from all across Canada and around the world.

And I suppose you're going to tell me that you would value a Canadian win at the World Baseball Classic (a farce if there ever was one) would mean more to you than the back-to-back World Series championships by the Blue Jays.

Heck, the Expos' one trip to the NLCS means more to me than anything Team Canada would do at the WBC.

Last edited by rojac: 03-02-2010 at 02:42 AM.
rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Donky

LOL at the anti-social Gary Bettman ball scrubbers who voted no!

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
You need to invest in some patriotism homey. It's us vs them vs any other bad guys. Do you think that by you paying for a ticket/hot dog/beer you're paying a players' salary?

Example...

Why would MLSE blow money trying to ice a good team when they're already making insane money? The fans will buy the tickets, the jerseys, pay for parking, etc regardless. It doesn't matter if they finish 1st or 30th. They made money. It's a business. No offense to the Leaf fans...

In the Olympics, they play for their country. No huge endorsements, no multi-million dollar contracts, that doesn't matter. The honor of playing for your homeland is why they do it.

BTW I've been a Pens fan since 1987, and that silver medal our guys worked their ***** off for means more to me then any of our Stanley Cups.

Oh right, MLSE pays a fortune for a first rate GM and a first rate coach. They spend all kinds of money on scouting. They spend to the cap. But they don't want to win, because they made some money? You do realize they would make even if more money if the team does well.

Old
03-02-2010, 02:36 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donky View Post
LOL at the anti-social Gary Bettman ball scrubbers who voted no!
Wow. Debating skill at its best.

Old
03-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Yes, and it's not even close.

Living in Vancouver I can't imagine NHLer's not going to Sochi. This was an amazing event, something all who watched in Vancouver and across Canada will remember forever. Russians, Americans, Swedes, Fins, Czechs, Slovaks, Germans, Swiss and their teams deserve the opportunity to have a hockey moment like this (and on whatever ice surface is most common in their country, rather than the IIHF standard).

I'm not as sure about future Olympics in places like South America, China, or Korea but that sort of decision is a long way away.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:45 AM
Donky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Wow. Debating skill at its best.
You don't need 5 paragraphs of bullpoop to summarize this 'debate'.

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:49 AM
hockeyfanvan25

Definitely...I'd still watch if they weren't there, since I like watching any kind of (ice) hockey, but it wouldn't be the same w/o them. Heck of a way for them to go out, yesterday, if it was in fact the NHL's last appearance in the Olympics, but hopefully the "powers that be" will come to some agreement in the next 4 years that would still let them play. Also, since I'm sure any Olympian would love the chance to play for their country, NHL players would probably hate being forced to miss out.

hockeyfanvan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:23 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanvan25 View Post
Definitely...I'd still watch if they weren't there, since I like watching any kind of (ice) hockey, but it wouldn't be the same w/o them. Heck of a way for them to go out, yesterday, if it was in fact the NHL's last appearance in the Olympics, but hopefully the "powers that be" will come to some agreement in the next 4 years that would still let them play. Also, since I'm sure any Olympian would love the chance to play for their country, NHL players would probably hate being forced to miss out.
If they want to play for their countries, they can arrange their contracts such that they're not playing in the NHL that year.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Boring, boring and there were none that year.
Ducks vs Devils was boring? R O F L
Flames vs. Lightning was boring R O F L
06, excuse me; Oilers vs. Canes was boring? R O F L

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote