HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

two-piece stick and NHL'ers

Old
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
hubby1746

vCash: 500
two-piece stick and NHL'ers

Thanks to Hi-def television ive noticed a lot of NHL players use two-piece sticks. I was just wondering what the advantages are for two-piece sticks in terms of performance. I mean, I use a two-piece because it saves money in the long run, and I have the option of switching blades whenever I want. But for an NHL'er who doesnt pay for sticks (im assuming), why use them? Ive also never used a one piece composite so I havent been able to compare them myself.

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Very few do. Very very few. Marleau is the only one I can think of who uses one right now. He uses a Z bubble painted in whatever easton has that shaft as right now. I think it's staying the S15 for now, but I'm not sure.

Chara used one for a while becuase that was the easiest way for Easton to make him his custom extra length 140 flex stick. He's using an ST now. Crosby used a shaft with wood blade for his first few years, now using a OPS.

There are a few others I'm sure, and they probably do it for the wood blade feel.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Very few do. Very very few. Marleau is the only one I can think of who uses one right now. He uses a Z bubble painted in whatever easton has that shaft as right now. I think it's staying the S15 for now, but I'm not sure.

Chara used one for a while becuase that was the easiest way for Easton to make him his custom extra length 140 flex stick. He's using an ST now. Crosby used a shaft with wood blade for his first few years, now using a OPS.

There are a few others I'm sure, and they probably do it for the wood blade feel.
I use them and have stated in here (and getting ridiculed for saying it I might add) that I felt not much difference from wood feel and composite feel and certainly not enough to complain about anything. I am not sure if you meant literally a wood feel or a woodlike feel.

I should state in fairness that I have never used a OP stick and cannot comment on how those feel. I don't mean a OP that is a two piece which a lot of them actually are but I mean a true one piece stick. I use my Harrows and they perform extremely well, I feel no need to try other stuff and that is good enough for me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
thedonger

Quote:

the z-bubble/s15 will become the s19 shaft this year.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:10 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:

Stastny still does i think, like you said though very very few

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Brendan Morrison of the Capitals uses a 2-piece. s15 shaft, and I don't know what kind of blade.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I thought Marleau used an Ultra Lite painted to look like whatever.

There's no advantage to a 2-piece over a 1-piece when you get them for free, other than if you want to use wood blades or mix manufacturers. I see it a lot more in college level because some of those guys use wood blades or at least don't have the budget for $200 OPS all the time.

For us, it's really nice to replace a $100 shaft or $50 blade rather than buy a whole new $150-200 stick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
hubby1746

yesterday it looked like Marleau was using the AK-27 shaft and blade. Chara also uses a 2-piece still. Stastny and Smyth use wooden blades. Kovalev uses the AK-27 combo (obviously). Im just wondering if two pieces with composite blades have any advantage over OP composites, like maybe feel or shooting or something.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
A lot of guys do it 'cause they want to use wood blades still. Though some do it just 'cause it's what they're used to. Look at a guy like Kariya, he was one of the first people using an Ultra Lite with a composite blade.....and he still is more than ten years later.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Stastny still does i think, like you said though very very few
Yep he does indeed still, he used sherwoods forever until very recently he switched to some Easton 2-piece, not sure what model, i don't know my wood sticks, but is indeed an Easton woody.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Yeah, Stastny's one of the few using wood. He uses the same pattern Anton used.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I thought Marleau used an Ultra Lite painted to look like whatever.
You're right, Ultralite, not Z bubble. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Yep he does indeed still, he used sherwoods forever until very recently he switched to some Easton 2-piece, not sure what model, i don't know my wood sticks, but is indeed an Easton woody.
I think he was using a woodie at the olympics, not a two piece.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:59 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby1746 View Post
yesterday it looked like Marleau was using the AK-27 shaft and blade. Chara also uses a 2-piece still. Stastny and Smyth use wooden blades. Kovalev uses the AK-27 combo (obviously). Im just wondering if two pieces with composite blades have any advantage over OP composites, like maybe feel or shooting or something.
Price and versatility. A two piece set up is generally cheaper than an OPS. You're also able to swap out blades pretty easily.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
canuck44

I personally have always found 2 piece's to feel very distinctly different from OPS. Granted, I've only tried a couple of 2 pieces during practices for a couple of minutes each time but they definitely feel different.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Price and versatility. A two piece set up is generally cheaper than an OPS. You're also able to swap out blades pretty easily.
I'm using a Harrow $140 setup, $100 for the tapered shaft and $40 for the blade. The same company makes an equal quality OPS and sells that for $160.

$20 isn't much difference and I was thinking of trying one out. I've never tried a OPS ... mainly because of the prices as you discussing with reasons to go with a two piece.

I have zero complaints about a two piece at all.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
hubby1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
ya thats why I use them. But why would an NHL player use a two-piece with a composite blade? Like Kovalev for example.