HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Cup in 2012?

Old
03-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Mr Wu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partizan90 View Post
Isn't the World Cup Of Hockey viewed as merely a exhibition tournament? Most Europeans don't see it being a valid tournament as it not not recognized by the IIHF. Winning doesn't even give you points towards the World Rankings.
The name of the tournament doesn't matter, if its best on best, who cares what tournament it is. IIHF... who cares about them? They don't own hockey...

Canada does.

Mr Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
MoonlightGraham

Why not just let NHL players go to the Olympics and leave it at that? I think everyone will agree the Olympic tournament is insanely good hockey and a great showcase for the NHL. But if they have too many international events and we see international play all the time it won't be as special. Every 4 years is perfect.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:30 AM
SerbianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
"Europeans don't care" is such lame reasoning.

Not even Canadians care about the World Championships and they've only been hosted in North America twice, but you don't hear us *****ing.
what? you must be blind mate Canadians whinge about the World Championships non stop. Yet some(Not all i like most Canadians on these boards) some create threads about there B and C teams having a good chance to win the Gold at the Olympics. Too bad It doesn't show that much in World Championships.

SerbianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Yeah, that's a great start. It's beginning to get hard to be in quadruple gold club (that Swedish invention of triple gold is flatout idiotic).
Yeah, swedish ingenuity isn't the best. I give that to Finland. Only in that forsaken place can a sport like phone throwing be popular. I guess that if you never win anything, you can always invent a sport where you can.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Tentatively scheduled for 2011 (Canada hosting). Nothing is finalized of course.
One would think there should've been some ground work done for that by now. Like dates, venues etc. I wouldn't hold my hopes up for this to be arranged next year.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Lexicon Devil

No thanks. There's no need for a summer international tournament.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
SerbianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Why not just let NHL players go to the Olympics and leave it at that? I think everyone will agree the Olympic tournament is insanely good hockey and a great showcase for the NHL. But if they have too many international events and we see international play all the time it won't be as special. Every 4 years is perfect.
Agree. Rest of my post not directed at you.

I'd have
Olympic Hockey every 4 years.

World Championships every year[Basically gives runs to some players to maybe break into the Olympic team and it also has a huge history and i enjoy the passion teams put into the matches]

World Cup of Hockey can F off has no structure or concept. Even the draws are stupid. Also why the F did 6/8 teams get to play home matches in 2004 but Russia and Slovakia did not? Why do they have Canada,USA,Russia in the same group every time? Why the F do those teams play one another in group play just so we have a Canada V Russia or USA V Russia or Canada V USA quarter Final. Also i don't like the concept of playing a nation who has the referees from the same country.

Maybe if the World Cup Of Hockey was an IIHF event hosted in other parts of the WORLD. & I Don't mean one group plays in Europe then has to travel to North America. With referees not only from Canada/U.S. i would definitely support it 100% but i have no idea how it has a place in Hockey when we have the olympics .. ?

Don't get me wrong i don't completley hate the event there has been some great matches in the past just i find so many flaws in the event which no other team sport with a World Cup/Championships having.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
what? you must be blind mate Canadians whinge about the World Championships non stop. Yet some(Not all i like most Canadians on these boards) some create threads about there B and C teams having a good chance to win the Gold at the Olympics. Too bad It doesn't show that much in World Championships.
Mostly because Europeans talk about how much they matter when the rest of know they're a meaningless exhibition.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
No thanks. There's no need for a summer international tournament.
This. Because that's what it essentially is. Summer just isn't meant for watching hockey.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
SerbianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Mostly because Europeans talk about how much they matter when the rest of know they're a meaningless exhibition.
rest of us=2 countries.

See i would refer to it as a meaningless exhibition if it wasn't recognized by the IIHF, did not contribute to your national teams ranking which determines seeding for Olympics, if it had the event in the same nation every time, if it had the events hosts refereeing the host nation every game. No idea when it would be hosted. Kinda sounds like the World Cup

Agree to disagree mate

Old
03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
rest of us=2 countries.

See i would refer to it as a meaningless exhibition if it wasn't recognized by the IIHF, did not contribute to your national teams ranking which determines seeding for Olympics, if it had the event in the same nation every time, if it had the events hosts refereeing the host nation every game. No idea when it would be hosted. Kinda sounds like the World Cup

Agree to disagree mate
Who cares about the IIHF? Seeding in the Olympics is meaningless... unless you think Norway making it in over Denmark changed the outcome

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

finland did pretty well in '04 for thinking it was a "meaningless exhibition".

Instead of Germany or another country as the 8th team the tourney should be the all-stars from outside the Big 7 nations.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:21 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post

Instead of Germany or another country as the 8th team the tourney should be the all-stars from outside the Big 7 nations.
Maybe not by 2011 but soon the Swiss may make it the big 8.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:46 AM
FDBluth

I'd be up for a new Canada-Russia series. Wouldn't be the same as the Summit Series, but it would still be damn good.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I'd be up for a new Canada-Russia series. Wouldn't be the same as the Summit Series, but it would still be damn good.
You do realize it's 2010 and not 1972 right?

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:17 AM
loxcane

Quote:
Agree. Rest of my post not directed at you.

I'd have
Olympic Hockey every 4 years.

World Championships every year[Basically gives runs to some players to maybe break into the Olympic team and it also has a huge history and i enjoy the passion teams put into the matches]

World Cup of Hockey can F off has no structure or concept. Even the draws are stupid. Also why the F did 6/8 teams get to play home matches in 2004 but Russia and Slovakia did not? Why do they have Canada,USA,Russia in the same group every time? Why the F do those teams play one another in group play just so we have a Canada V Russia or USA V Russia or Canada V USA quarter Final. Also i don't like the concept of playing a nation who has the referees from the same country.

Maybe if the World Cup Of Hockey was an IIHF event hosted in other parts of the WORLD. & I Don't mean one group plays in Europe then has to travel to North America. With referees not only from Canada/U.S. i would definitely support it 100% but i have no idea how it has a place in Hockey when we have the olympics .. ?

Don't get me wrong i don't completley hate the event there has been some great matches in the past just i find so many flaws in the event which no other team sport with a World Cup/Championships having.
You're cheering on an event where the best players aren't there, and finding everything possible wrong with an event that involves the best? Are you from France by chance?

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:

Bolded part officially goes down as the worst idea I've ever read at HFBoards. I'd add a facepalm but it's not even worth that.

Finland could have done even better had our first line not been on the operating tabel during the off-season, which is when a lot players get themselves fixed. Had the tournament been arranged in mid-season atleast two of the players would have been in better shape.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:28 AM
rye&ginger

I'd like to see some sort of international hockey with best of the best going at it. Every 4 years is not enough. There are not even qualification matches that might be interesting like there are in football (not handegg).

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Bolded part officially goes down as the worst idea I've ever read at HFBoards. I'd add a facepalm but it's not even worth that.
A competative team that would draw interest from more than one nation instead of a patsy elliciting yawns. What the hell was I thinking?!

Old
03-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Geese_Howard*

Rename it the Canada Cup and Canadians will get interested again.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:40 AM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
It's been said, but hockey needs to plan one for every 4 years in between Winter Olympics.

2012 - World Cup (Summer time)

2014 - Olympics

2016 - World Cup (Summer time)

RyanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
A competative team that would draw interest from more than one nation instead of a patsy elliciting yawns. What the hell was I thinking?!
What the....? Do you actually think that there would be any interest for combined team from Switzerland, Germany and maybe Latvia? Do you actually think that that would NOT make the the whole tournament sem like an exhibition tournament? Do you actually think that those countries would NOT take it as insult, "you're not good enough to take part on your own, so we'll add some players from some other countries". And what national anthem would they play before each game? Benetton theme? Jesus Christ, what a moronic idea.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

World Cup back in 2011

For the people wondering and speculating...

Quote:
The World Cup of Hockey will return in September 2011, National Hockey League Players Association executive director Paul Kelly confirmed Saturday. In an interview Saturday with Hockey Night in Canada, Kelly confirmed an earlier ESPN.com report suggesting the international competition was set to return.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...hockey_return/

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
What the....? Do you actually think that there would be any interest for combined team from Switzerland, Germany and maybe Latvia?
I'm sure there are fans of Kopitar, Vanek, Hiller... who wold follow the tourney if they were playing.
Quote:
Do you actually think that that would NOT make the the whole tournament sem like an exhibition tournament?
A smart coach would try and bond them with a misfit mentality. I'm sure players would be eager to prove their nation can produce talent and that despite being from a small country they are worthy of being in international compititions.
Quote:
Do you actually think that those countries would NOT take it as insult, "you're not good enough to take part on your own, so we'll add some players from some other countries".
Maybe the 8th would, but offer any other country the choise of having 0 players or a few players I think they'll take the later. I'm sure plenty of countries have a realistic picture of their standing. They might also gain some players for international play who have duel citizenship and never cared to play for their second national team because they weren't in worthy compititions.

Hell some of the players might enjoy the novelty of going into the tourney and being able to win a game for once, which would make it less of an exhibition.
Quote:
And what national anthem would they play before each game? Benetton theme?
Who cares?
Quote:
Jesus Christ, what a moronic idea.
Who would ever try such a thing

Which line up looks better to you?

Vanek Kopitar S. Kostisyn
Sturm Antropov A. Kostisyn
Hecht Goc Ponikarovsky
Grabovski Zubrus Boedker
Hasen Larsen Eller

Streit Sbisa
Ehrhoff Skrastins
Seidenberg Salei
Tolefson Y. Weber
Bartulis

Hiller
Huet
Greiss

OR

No Forwards S Ht/Wt Birthdate 2009-10 Team
11 Sven Felski L 5-11/176 11/18/1974 Eisbaren Berlin (Ger)

57 Marcel Goc L 6-0/200 8/24/1983 Nashville (NHL)

39 Thomas Greilinger R 5-11/194 8/6/1981 Ingolstadt (Ger)

17 Jochen Hecht L 6-2/199 6/21/1977 Buffalo (NHL)

18 Kai Hospelt L 6-1/187 8/23/1985 Wolfsburg (Ger)

9 Manuel Klinge R 6-1/201 9/5/1984 Kassel (Ger)

25 Marcel Mueller L 6-4/216 7/10/1988 Kolner (Ger)

15 Travis Mulock R 6-0/194 6/25/1985 Eisbaren Berlin (Ger)

24 Andre Rankel L 6-1/203 8/27/1985 Eisbaren Berlin (Ger)

19 Marco Sturm L 5-11/194 9/8/1978 Boston (NHL)

21 John Tripp R 6-4/227 5/4/1977 Hamburg (Ger)

16 Michael Wolf R 5-10/176 1/24/1981 Iserlohn (Ger)

No Defensemen S Ht/Wt Birthdate 2009-10 Team
22 Michael Bakos R 6-3/212 3/2/1979 Ingolstadt (Ger)

6 Sven Butenschon L 6-4/212 3/22/1976 Mannheim (Ger)

10 Christian Ehrhoff L 6-2/205 7/6/1982 Vancouver (NHL)

38 Jakub Ficenec R 5-10/196 2/11/1977 Ingolstadt (Ger)

5 Korbinian Holzer R 6-3/209 2/16/1988 Dusseldorf (Ger)

7 Chris Schmidt L 6-5/212 3/1/1976 Mannheim (Ger)

84 Dennis Seidenberg L 6-0/210 7/18/1981 Florida (NHL)

52 Alexander Sulzer L 6-1/196 5/30/1984 Nashville (NHL)

No Goaltenders C Ht/Wt Birthdate 2009-10 Team
44 Dennis Endras L 6-0/168 7/14/1985 Augsburger (Ger)

1 Thomas Greiss L 6-1/210 1/29/1986 San Jose (NHL)

32 Dimitri Patzold L 5-11/176 2/3/1983 Ingolstadt (Ger)

Old
03-01-2010, 04:30 AM
ronnyweed

all i have to say is steven stamkos

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote