HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Cup in 2012?

Old
03-01-2010, 05:29 AM
pouskin74*

vCash: 500
i think Olympic tournament is a best tournament for best against best. let it be this way.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post

Which line up looks better to you?

Vanek Kopitar S. Kostisyn
Sturm Antropov A. Kostisyn
Hecht Goc Ponikarovsky
Grabovski Zubrus Boedker
Hasen Larsen Eller

Streit Sbisa
Ehrhoff Skrastins
Seidenberg Salei
Tolefson Y. Weber
Bartulis

Hiller
Huet
Greiss

OR

No Forwards S Ht/Wt Birthdate 2009-10 Team
11 Sven Felski L 5-11/176 11/18/1974 Eisbaren Berlin (Ger)

57 Marcel Goc L 6-0/200 8/24/1983 Nashville (NHL)

39 Thomas Greilinger R 5-11/194 8/6/1981 Ingolstadt (Ger)

17 Jochen Hecht L 6-2/199 6/21/1977 Buffalo (NHL)

18 Kai Hospelt L 6-1/187 8/23/1985 Wolfsburg (Ger)

9 Manuel Klinge R 6-1/201 9/5/1984 Kassel (Ger)

25 Marcel Mueller L 6-4/216 7/10/1988 Kolner (Ger)

15 Travis Mulock R 6-0/194 6/25/1985 Eisbaren Berlin (Ger)

24 Andre Rankel L 6-1/203 8/27/1985 Eisbaren Berlin (Ger)

19 Marco Sturm L 5-11/194 9/8/1978 Boston (NHL)

21 John Tripp R 6-4/227 5/4/1977 Hamburg (Ger)

16 Michael Wolf R 5-10/176 1/24/1981 Iserlohn (Ger)

No Defensemen S Ht/Wt Birthdate 2009-10 Team
22 Michael Bakos R 6-3/212 3/2/1979 Ingolstadt (Ger)

6 Sven Butenschon L 6-4/212 3/22/1976 Mannheim (Ger)

10 Christian Ehrhoff L 6-2/205 7/6/1982 Vancouver (NHL)

38 Jakub Ficenec R 5-10/196 2/11/1977 Ingolstadt (Ger)

5 Korbinian Holzer R 6-3/209 2/16/1988 Dusseldorf (Ger)

7 Chris Schmidt L 6-5/212 3/1/1976 Mannheim (Ger)

84 Dennis Seidenberg L 6-0/210 7/18/1981 Florida (NHL)

52 Alexander Sulzer L 6-1/196 5/30/1984 Nashville (NHL)

No Goaltenders C Ht/Wt Birthdate 2009-10 Team
44 Dennis Endras L 6-0/168 7/14/1985 Augsburger (Ger)

1 Thomas Greiss L 6-1/210 1/29/1986 San Jose (NHL)

32 Dimitri Patzold L 5-11/176 2/3/1983 Ingolstadt (Ger)
I'd rather have Team Germany than a group of players that have nothing in common. Suppose they were to win the whole tournment, that would make the "who's the best hockey nation" threads obsolite here? C'mon man, get a clue...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:44 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I'd rather have Team Germany than a group of players that have nothing in common.
Agreed. Besides, Germany is not even in the top 10 countries anyway.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

It's in 2011, but it should be in 2012 so that way they could have a best on best tournament every 2 years which is easily enough, considering they do that in soccer.

I don't get why the Europeans are complaining about the World Cup when the hockey is the same as the Olympics and is clearly more entertaining than the world championships that they adore.

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
It's in 2011, but it should be in 2012 so that way they could have a best on best tournament every 2 years which is easily enough, considering they do that in soccer.

I don't get why the Europeans are complaining about the World Cup when the hockey is the same as the Olympics and is clearly more entertaining than the world championships that they adore.
We complain because it is a soulless summer exhibition tournament staged by the NHL whenever there is CBA trouble.

I much prefer the supposedly "boring" World Championships and its 80 years of tradition and history.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:38 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Rename it the Canada Cup and Canadians will get interested again.
Rename it Finland cup so i'll care about that tournament, and allways play finals in Helsinki at europes primetime.. Who cares about that tournament really, watching some games during midnight where the best players are having hangover drinking true the summer.. Well guess i'd like to see more best of best international hockey too, but these things its allways in Canada, the name of the tournament is Canada.. that is just sick how stupid it can be. How they think others will possibly respect that kind of a tournament as much as olympics.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:38 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
We complain because it is a soulless summer exhibition tournament staged by the NHL whenever there is CBA trouble.

I much prefer the supposedly "boring" World Championships and its 80 years of tradition and history.
It's mind blowing people care about the Worl Championships. They suck, they really honest go god suck, and are completely useless for tracking how good a country is.

The world cup is the exact same as the olympics and people prefer the world championships? Makes zero sense.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
It's mind blowing people care about the Worl Championships. They suck, they really honest go god suck, and are completely useless for tracking how good a country is.

The world cup is the exact same as the olympics and people prefer the world championships? Makes zero sense.
I bet you would have preferred the Avco Cup to the Stanley Cup because it was "more entertaining" had you been alive when the WHA was still around...

History and tradition is a huge factor in what makes any kind of sports competition entertaining, the World Championships has 80 years worth of history and tradition, the World Cup barely has any at all.

Old
03-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
I seriously think they should hold World Cup 2012, 2016, 2020... Soccer does that and works great. 1996 and 2004 World Cups were great.
I agree with this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:51 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I bet you would have preferred the Avco Cup to the Stanley Cup because it was "more entertaining" had you been alive when the WHA was still around...

History and tradition is a huge factor in what makes any kind of sports competition entertaining, the World Championships has 80 years worth of history and tradition, the World Cup barely has any at all.
Thats all great but why? It is third and fourth tier players for a lot of countries? I don't get why to hold on to tradition, and how this tradition even caught on in the first place.

The Stanley cup will always be the ultimate goal.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Thats all great but why? It is third and fourth tier players for a lot of countries? I don't get why to hold on to tradition, and how this tradition even caught on in the first place.

The Stanley cup will always be the ultimate goal.
Because from its first tournament in 1920 until the greedy NHL realised there was a whole world they could poach players from in the 1970s the World Championships always featured the best European players, it was already a solidified tradition in European hockey by the time it supposedly became a "second rate" tournament. The World Championships are in many ways our Stanley Cup, it is the hockey competition we all grow up watching every spring.

It isn't, and never has been in Europe.

Old
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Europeans care about the World Championships because:

a) Their teams have an advantage
b) They're always played in Europe
c) It lets them trumpet meaningless crap like the IIHF world rankings

The fact that nobody in Canada cares and that the tourney isn't even televised in the US is meaningless to them and their insular view.

Face it people... there might not be NHLers in Sochi. And if there isn't, the best you can hope for is the World Cup.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
optimus2861

I've said this many times before: the World Cup has outlived its usefulness. The Canada Cup had a purpose, to pit Canada's best against the Soviet Union's best, under the guise of a tournament format, because there was no other venue for them to match up and Canadians couldn't even see the Soviet players otherwise.

Since the Iron Curtain fell and those players came to the NHL, and the Olympics were opened up to the NHL, there's no void left for the World Cup to fill.

Let it go. The Canada Cup gave us some great memories, and even the 1996 World Cup was memorable for the USA winning it, but 2004 was something of a dud and doesn't match any of the last three Olympics for excitement.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:17 AM
begbeee

Why not a model with Olympic tournament with NHLers and World Championship with two years period (e.g. 2011,2013,OG2014,2015,2017,OG2018) ???

Olympic would be best of the best.
WCH would be more valuable to players and would earned more reputation.

I am not interested in some World Cup which was made only for Canadiens or NA primetime advertisments.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Well if european don't care I can respect that.

Let's play a best of seven Canada vs USA then.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post

At least best-of-twenty

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post

YES. That would be epic. Please make it happen.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I'd rather have Team Germany than a group of players that have nothing in common. Suppose they were to win the whole tournment, that would make the "who's the best hockey nation" threads obsolite here? C'mon man, get a clue...
As opposed to players whose commonality is being crapped out inside the same set of lines.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

World Cup is not absolute must, but I really think every other year there should be a tournament where all the best plays. World Championships is probably pretty set because it makes so makes money for the host country.

I think that it's fair that World Cups finals and semi-finals are played in North America, because 95% of those players playing those games plays in NHL rinks all the time anyway. If World Championship finals can be every year in Europe, why the World Cup finals can't be all the time in North America?

But I do agree that all the teams should get home games.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I'd love for there to be another best-on-best tournament. Having the Olympics once every 4 years isn't enough and the World Championships, while being a very enjoyable tournament, just doesn't cut it.

The NHL needs to make this, not just a knock-off of the Olympics, but it needs to be distinct in some way and maybe have enough of a twist in the format of the tournament, to make it distinguishable from the olympics. Think about how they could improve upon the Olympic format, like have all series be best of ___.

The other thought is maybe Hockey Canada should bring back the Canada Cup and treat it like an "invitational" tournament. Invite up to a certain number of teams (maybe even only 4) and have a multiple game round-robin and a multiple game tournament. I think that might be cool just because I could totally see Team Russia or Team USA loving the idea of parading around with the Canada Cup, and it's a trophy with some history (and a pretty cool trophy, IMO).

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

A World Cup would be nice, I love seeing best-on-best international hockey, the Olympics are just not enough, and if we don't have NHL players in 2014 then we MUST have a World Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partizan90 View Post
what? you must be blind mate Canadians whinge about the World Championships non stop. Yet some(Not all i like most Canadians on these boards) some create threads about there B and C teams having a good chance to win the Gold at the Olympics. Too bad It doesn't show that much in World Championships.
LOLOLOLOL, No! Barely anyone here gives a flying **** about the World Championships, if anything the World Juniors are far FAR more popular than WC. WC is just not interesting enough as the best players often aren't even in the tournament. WJC on the other hand actually does have the best players and junior hockey is pretty fun to watch too (except for 16-0 games..those are brutal ), I'm not even upset that we lost the last 2 world championships, but I was so upset when we lost the World Juniors this year.

Even on Facebook there were countless statuses from friends going "NOOO CANADA LOST! :'("
But when we lost the World Championships, there wasn't even a single status talking about it. No one here cares about it.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Based on the 2004 World Cup, it lacks the intensity of the Olympics.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:53 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

^I wouldn't say that "no one cares about the WC". We care when we make the semis or the finals for sure but it's not like it's a heart breaker when Canada doesn't win. Hell, in 2008 I was cheering for Russia against Canada because I'm such a big Sergei Fedorov fan!

I do respect the WC for its history, and I think it's a really fun tournament to watch because you get to see guys who wouldn't normally make Team Canada where the jersey, and in years past it's been a bit of a solace when my team gets knocked out of the playoffs early. Or if my Pens got knocked off early I'd love to watch Crosby, Jordan Staal, and MAF play for Canada. But yeah, anytime there's a World Cup of Hockey, it's just automatically more prestigious than the World Championships, because really, watching Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan, and Dwayne Roloson take on the world doesn't have the same implications of watching Sidney Crosby, Jerome Iginla, and Roberto Luongo.

Old
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
finland did pretty well in '04 for thinking it was a "meaningless exhibition".

Instead of Germany or another country as the 8th team the tourney should be the all-stars from outside the Big 7 nations.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partizan90 View Post
what? you must be blind mate Canadians whine about the World Championships non stop. Yet some(Not all i like most Canadians on these boards) some create threads about there B and C teams having a good chance to win the Gold at the Olympics. Too bad It doesn't show that much in World Championships.
There may be some that do, but I'm not one of them and I don't know anyone who does. Only real hockey purists over here watch the WC, and it's not because there's any Canadian pride on the line, but just because it's entertaining hockey, and for me personally, I always get a kick out the European flavouring you get with the fans whistling, the weirdly placed advertisements on players helmets and jerseys of companies I've never heard of, having cars in the stands, listening to Gord Millen explain every year how International officiating is different from North American officiating... It's just so quirky and funny. It's like a quaint little tournament that I can watch and just enjoy and feel no pressure because it's meaningless... but at the same time you do care who wins.