HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2010, 11:57 PM
TheBoss22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Well, I did see him play live in Ottawa against Petrov in the 08 WJC...and he looked fantastic...big, fast, skilled...a very exciting prospect. And for all the hype around MPS at the time, I felt Ullstrom played bigger and was just as fast- with not a huge difference (I hesitate to use the word drop-off here) in overall talent. Sometimes it's just about opportunity, and we saw what Ullstrom did at the start of this season before injury befell him....when Ullstrom comes, he will make the team IMO.

Here is an old Botta article from last year's mini-camp...it was my hope that they bring Ullstrom over to Bridgeport for the end of the season as they have in the past with some European prospects...

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...rs-of-the-day/
I wasn't impressed with Ullstrom at the WJC. I thought he was just an average player on team SWE.

I was way more impressed when Figren was there (Figren was pretty much dominant).

So with Figren's difficulty adjusting to the Pro's I'm not expecting much from Ullstrom (yet).

Old
04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I wasn't impressed with Ullstrom at the WJC. I thought he was just an average player on team SWE.

I was way more impressed when Figren was there (Figren was pretty much dominant).

So with Figren's difficulty adjusting to the Pro's I'm not expecting much from Ullstrom (yet).
Why, because they are both Swedish?

Let's compare size and skating, and haircuts. Ullstrom takes all three

Old
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Mikkel

Quote:
Thank you for this update! In your opinion, what happens when Ullstrom comes over to the Islanders training camp this summer?
I don't think there is any way Ullström comes close to making the team out of camp.

He might be an option in Bridgeport, but I would probably prefer him to play another year in Sweden and solidify himself. It's not like he is stuck in a bad environment either - HV71 is arguably a better team than Bridgeport. Still, maybe he should try to find another club where he would rank higher in the hierarchy, and where he would see more ice time (I am not aware of his contractual obligations).

FWIW I am not sure whether the new transfer agreement changes things - the Islanders might not feel like paying out the 225k transfer sum, if they consider Ullström a wild card to begin with.

Old
04-11-2010, 02:53 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
I don't think there is any way Ullström comes close to making the team out of camp.

He might be an option in Bridgeport, but I would probably prefer him to play another year in Sweden and solidify himself. It's not like he is stuck in a bad environment either - HV71 is arguably a better team than Bridgeport. Still, maybe he should try to find another club where he would rank higher in the hierarchy, and where he would see more ice time (I am not aware of his contractual obligations).

FWIW I am not sure whether the new transfer agreement changes things - the Islanders might not feel like paying out the 225k transfer sum, if they consider Ullström a wild card to begin with.

I would love it if he made the team out of camp, but with Joensuu coming along, it looks like Bridgeport may be the best we can hope for.

It's imperative that both Ullstrom and Petrov get over here and into our system before they wilt on the vine. They both bring much needed size and skill, and would look awful good replacing the likes of Tamby, Sim, Jackman, etc.

I believe Ullstrom finishes his contract this year, and the $225,000 won't stop the Islanders if he impresses in camp. Petrov will have earned half of his rumoured 4 year $4 million dollar contract at the end of this season, and can buy his way out. He can leave when he wants, many forget this.

Both players would increase our team size and skill, without a doubt. Exciting times this summer to be sure...

Old
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
bluechipbonzo

Watched a little of this one, and Casey looked great with the puck...very confident and great vision in the offensive zone. Not overly huge, but very very solid and deceptively quick on his skates. I liken him to Doug Gilmour- shifty, good in both ends, gritty...Casey is a little stronger, but with less offensive upside/output...IMO

Another beauty...great job Snowjanks!

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=317827

In Ottawa, Casey Cizikas had a goal and an assist in the third period Monday as the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors downed the 67's 5-3 in Game 7 of their Eastern Conference semifinal.

Cizikas assisted on the winner by Devante Smith-Pelly at 8:41 of the third and then provided some insurance by scoring with less than two minutes to play after the 67's had pulled to within one.

Old
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
periferal

Quote:
Watched a little of this one, and Casey looked great with the puck...very confident and great vision in the offensive zone. Not overly huge, but very very solid and deceptively quick on his skates. I liken him to Doug Gilmour- shifty, good in both ends, gritty...Casey is a little stronger, but with less offensive upside/output...IMO

In Ottawa, Casey Cizikas had a goal and an assist in the third period Monday as the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors downed the 67's 5-3 in Game 7 of their Eastern Conference semifinal.

Cizikas assisted on the winner by Devante Smith-Pelly at 8:41 of the third and then provided some insurance by scoring with less than two minutes to play after the 67's had pulled to within one.

This game was actually on TV somewhere?

Old
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Why, because they are both Swedish?

Let's compare size and skating, and haircuts. Ullstrom takes all three
I used Ullstrom and Figren as a comparison b/c my only reference point is at the WJC (although during different years).

Figren was awesome, while Ullstrom looked ... average.

Obviously being an Isles fan, I hope he becomes then next Zetterberg. I just don't have high hopes for him that's all.

I'd be fine if he played a few more years in the elite league before coming over.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:21 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
This game was actually on TV somewhere?
The supersports pack from Rogers has all OHL games, all year...I had free tickets to game five, but I ducked out after 2 to catch the Pens - Isles lol.

Got to see the Subway Super Series last year too...hence the Petrov love...

Old
04-13-2010, 06:24 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
I used Ullstrom and Figren as a comparison b/c my only reference point is at the WJC (although during different years).

Figren was awesome, while Ullstrom looked ... average.

Obviously being an Isles fan, I hope he becomes then next Zetterberg. I just don't have high hopes for him that's all.

I'd be fine if he played a few more years in the elite league before coming over.
Oh I get it, it's just that right now Figren looks to be a bust, but Ullstrom still has upside...an NHL body doesn't hurt either. Better speed and hands than Joensuu makes me pretty confident in this one.

In the WJC game I saw, I must admit I wasn't really paying any attention to anyone else on the ice not named Petrov, lol.

Both will be here soon...

Old
04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:

Would like to see Cizikas matched up against the Taylor Hall line against Windsor...that'll be a huge test! Windsor the clear favorite but anything can happen.

Nice to see these two future Islanders battling in a playoff game

Old
04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Would like to see Cizikas matched up against the Taylor Hall line against Windsor...that'll be a huge test! Windsor the clear favorite but anything can happen.

Nice to see these two future Islanders battling in a playoff game
Being lined up against Burmistrov's line will be enough of a challenge trust me

Old
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
SthlmNYI

Quote:
Figren has never impressed on a pro level, Ullström on the other hand has shown alot more. Both in the Swedish 2nd tier league, Allsvenskan and the Swedish Elite League.

Ullström
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6913

Figren
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3636

I think he had like 10p in 10 games at the start of the season centering the 2nd-3rd line, on one of Sweden's best clubs. Unfortunatly he broke his wrist shortly after and had to rehab much of the first half of the season. When he got back from injury he was sent down to center the 4th line, still does.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeeyb View Post
I think he had like 10p in 10 games at the start of the season centering the 2nd-3rd line, on one of Sweden's best clubs. Unfortunatly he broke his wrist shortly after and had to rehab much of the first half of the season. When he got back from injury he was sent down to center the 4th line, still does.
He's in the final against Djurgarden now.

One way or another, being part of a winner this and last year is wonderful for a young man of his age, even if his ice time is minimal.

I'd be curious to know if there's been any info in Sweden about where he'll be playing next season? Does he have an existing contract with HV71 for beyond this season?

Might he seek out a team promising more ice time, such is believed to be the case with prospect Ridderwall (DJU's 2nd string goalie).

Old
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeeyb View Post
Figren has never impressed on a pro level, Ullström on the other hand has shown alot more. Both in the Swedish 2nd tier league, Allsvenskan and the Swedish Elite League.

Ullström
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6913

Figren
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3636

My reference is WJC as I don't have access to SEL games.

Yes, Ullstrom has performed better in the SEL compared to Figren based on stats.

But b/c Ullstrom has performed better than Figren doesn't mean Ullstrom is a guy we should be excited for as a member of the NYI in the next year or two.

Just my honest opinion.

Obviously I would like to be proven wrong and have both of them be NHL All-Stars in the immediate future.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Bridgeport loses...blows a 3-1 lead in the third. Lost 4-3 in OT against the powerhouse Hershey team.

AMac a goal and an assist. Matt Martin scores as well.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
TROLLPOSO
Brian Strait SUCKS!

Quote:
Bridgeport loses...blows a 3-1 lead in the third. Lost 4-3 in OT against the powerhouse Hershey team.

I guess they teach the third period meltdown down on the farm too. Uggghhh.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:

Ugh, sucks that they couldn't get a higher seed, also sucks that Bailey got hurt.

Utah won 5-1 in game 5 in the first round(best of 5), Koskinen with 38 saves on 39 shots.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Again View Post
I guess they teach the third period meltdown down on the farm too. Uggghhh.
Not their fault.

Hershey "tied" the game on a clear high-stick. And then Bridgeport got a PP and Martin scored but it went through the net and no one saw it.

So the Tigers got screwed twice.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Not their fault.

Hershey "tied" the game on a clear high-stick. And then Bridgeport got a PP and Martin scored but it went through the net and no one saw it.

So the Tigers got screwed twice.
I am still seething in anger from a game Bport clearly should have won. Pelltier may be the worst ref to grace earth with his presence, and his linemen are just as bad. It really was a great game played by Bport only to be robbed by bad calls. Hershey is by far the best team in the AHL but if Bport won this game it would have gave them some addded pressure.
Officiating and Hershey 1 -Bport 0

Old
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
I'd be curious to know if there's been any info in Sweden about where he'll be playing next season? Does he have an existing contract with HV71 for beyond this season?
As far as I know he has a player option going into next year. I've heard from a friend of a friend (yes I know, awesome source) that he wants to play in Bridgeport next season.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
My reference is WJC as I don't have access to SEL games.

Yes, Ullstrom has performed better in the SEL compared to Figren based on stats.

But b/c Ullstrom has performed better than Figren doesn't mean Ullstrom is a guy we should be excited for as a member of the NYI in the next year or two.

Just my honest opinion.

Obviously I would like to be proven wrong and have both of them be NHL All-Stars in the immediate future.
It's a win if Ullstrom and Figren even make the NHL. You're talking about mid-round picks here.

And that sucks about Bridgeport. Beautiful job by the AHL not having video replay.

If the Bridge can do it once, though, they can do it again. Go git um, boys.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
As far as I know he has a player option going into next year. I've heard from a friend of a friend (yes I know, awesome source) that he wants to play in Bridgeport next season.
You heard that from NY???

Hope your right though. Although I do feel regular playing time in the SEL would be better (not the case now) than Figren/Marcinko-like minutes in the AHL, it would be nice to have him here and showing his goods right around the corner.

I personally think he'd have a season not all too different from Joensuu's rookie year.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Hi all just wanted to Update you all on Hamonic. He really looks back to pre injury form and is absolute monster right now. Really confident with the puck carrying it out of his end alot. Playing huge minutes with Florida draft pick Robak right now. A real big reason why the Wheaties took out a tough tough Saskatoon Blades team. I love this guy and so should you.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
goal1228

Quote:

Well, atleast its good to see these 2 on the score sheet

Old
04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
The KGBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Hi all just wanted to Update you all on Hamonic. He really looks back to pre injury form and is absolute monster right now. Really confident with the puck carrying it out of his end alot. Playing huge minutes with Florida draft pick Robak right now. A real big reason why the Wheaties took out a tough tough Saskatoon Blades team. I love this guy and so should you.
Wonderful news!

Closed Thread