HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olé Chant?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 07:48 AM
DMXATF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DMXATF23
Olé Chant?

Please explain....why.

It's hockey, not soccer. Please help me understand why? Spanish word in a French speaking region, Im just *** baffled by it.

-chris

Old
04-28-2004, 07:50 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I was wondering the same thing

Old
04-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Lewis63

why not??? we are very open minded people! if it makes us (the fans) happy why shouldbn't we chant this? who cares what language it is it sounds good.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:03 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
why not??? we are very open minded people! if it makes us (the fans) happy why shouldbn't we chant this? who cares what language it is it sounds good.
Agreed.

But why cant Tampa have a Hulk Hogan get our crowd pumped up? Were opened minded too... but wait.. we are not allowed to have hockey in Florida.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan
Agreed.

But why cant Tampa have a Hulk Hogan get our crowd pumped up? Were opened minded too... but wait.. we are not allowed to have hockey in Florida.
Troll

Old
04-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Rschmitz

I was thinking, after almost a century of tradition, someone would come up with something better than "Go habs Go" and immitate spanish soccer crowds. The chant is even wrong, its "ole, ole ole ole, NAME, NAME"; where NAME is the team you are cheering for.

Thanks for the information though guys, I thought there was actually some sort of story/folk lore to it.

There are few chants in professional sports that pump the crowd up

Old
04-28-2004, 08:43 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Agreed.

You really need to get over that. My Dad never hugged me but I'm ok with that. You know why they chant, it's fun.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:48 AM
DMXATF23

Send a message via AIM to DMXATF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
You know why they chant, it's fun.
Ya, but they're not doing it right nor are they using it in the right sport.

Im just trying to make sense of it and it appears there is no.

-chris

Old
04-28-2004, 08:50 AM
NWT Habs Fan

I was in the building last night, and it was fun and incredibly loud. The chant works, and the crowd has adopted it over the past few seasons. It is even spreading to other teams in the league...well at least to those that don't have really old wrestlers on contract to help play cheerleader at their games.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Gros Bill

That's it guys, we gotta get our cheering act together. The people in Florida are all upset that don't understand why or what were chanting. I knew there was something wrong with this franchise...

I say we go with "USA, USA, USA", I'm sure they'll like that.

Old
04-28-2004, 08:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXATF23
Ya, but they're not doing it right nor are they using it in the right sport.

Im just trying to make sense of it and it appears there is no.

-chris
They're not doing it right ? The right sport ? A younger crowd goes to games now, one intent on having fun. I've seen people do the wave at weddings, what the hell, they seemed to be having fun. Don't get hung up on sense. The Mtl. Jazz Festival is one of the great parties on earth, some are upset that a lot of the music isn't jazz, so what ?

Old
04-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
I was wondering about that chant as well. I guess whatever floats your boat.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:03 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Agreed.

Do you guys (seemingly the majority of Tampa Fans - NOT ALL) ever get tired of carrying that massive chip on your shoulders?

Old
04-28-2004, 09:06 AM
TBLightningFan

I dont care that your fans do it... I can give a crap.

trolling...dont think so. Just telling it how it is. We do something un-hockey like at out place... Hab fans go off on the hockey in florida crap.

We mention one thing and not even really speak against it... I am a Troll.

I was really just asking why...and what the connection was. Hogans connection...he lives in the area. Ole (Spanish).... Quebec. I'm not making the connection. The chant is something I'd expect down here first or in Miami where there are lots of soccer fans that may be at a hockey game.

I know you lost last night but.... chill man.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Erack82

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Do you guys (seemingly the majority of Tampa Fans - NOT ALL) ever get tired of carrying that massive chip on your shoulders?
When all you hear from about 90% of fans is "there shouldn't be hockey in Florida". Get rid of that expansion team, etc etc.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:09 AM
blurbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXATF23
Please explain....why.

It's hockey, not soccer. Please help me understand why? Spanish word in a French speaking region, Im just *** baffled by it.

-chris
I was actually wondering why they chant Ole Ole Ole.... in any other french speaking country they sing the same song, but with the words Allez Allez Allez.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:11 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
When all you hear from about 90% of fans is "there shouldn't be hockey in Florida". Get rid of that expansion team, etc etc.
Where in this thread is that sentiment expressed? Answer No where!

This over the top defensive act vis a vis Florida hockey is so tired - get over it.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Erack82

Quote:
Where in this thread is that sentiment expressed? Answer No where!

This over the top defensive act vis a vis Florida hockey is so tired - get over it.
Did I say fans on THIS thread? No. From media, other fans from other teams. No one things a Florida team can be successful because of the fact they are a Florida team and that is BS. On other boards I see thread about de-expansion, and Tampa always comes up as a teame to get rid of? Why? That is beyond me, so yes I do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder when SOME fans can't beyond the fact that this is a Florida team. I'm not even from FL and I think it is ridiculous. So once again, this is not based on statements from this thread or even the Habs boards, but rather media, other thread, other friends and other things. OK?

Old
04-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Legolas

Come up with someting? Like what? "Let's go [NAME], clap clap clap clap clap"??? Haha. I think that ultimately, the chants don't really matter as much as the noise. For example, the DEFENCE chant in basketball is so common. I hate that chant. It's so basic...but whatever. Noise is noise. As long as your crowd is into it and loud, that's all I care about. I've never been partial to "Ole" either, but I must say I prefer it to Hulk Hogan...I guess the difference comes down to personal preference, but Hogan is a bit too commercial for my taste as far as chants go...it would be like having the Coors twins or the Bud girls or something like that...not that it hasn't happened in pro sports before...

Old
habfan4

Quote:
Did I say fans on THIS thread? No. From media, other fans from other teams. No one things a Florida team can be successful because of the fact they are a Florida team and that is BS. On other boards I see thread about de-expansion, and Tampa always comes up as a teame to get rid of? Why? That is beyond me, so yes I do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder when SOME fans can't beyond the fact that this is a Florida team. I'm not even from FL and I think it is ridiculous. So once again, this is not based on statements from this thread or even the Habs boards, but rather media, other thread, other friends and other things. OK?
Then I respectfully suggest you take it up with them, in the correct forum - it has absolutely no bearing on this topic (which is pretty limp to begin with).

Old
TBLightningFan

Quote:
I'm tellin ya... every time we try to have a discussion about hockey we get that. If we cant have hockey... they cant have baseball or basketball.

You would think Canadians would be proud that their sport and their league is growing. So why not enjoy the fact that the Lightning finally built a team the right way. Plus other young teams are looking at the Lightnings way of business and want to do the same.

The only reason TB has a hard time pulling in new fans is that people dont give up their allegances even when thay have lived in FL for over 10 years. People just wont convert and is silly. Support your hometown...especially if it has a team of its own.

Just my opinion

Old
04-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Erack82

Quote:
Then I respectfully suggest you take it up with them, in the correct forum - it has absolutely no bearing on this topic (which is pretty limp to begin with).
Again I'm not the one who brought it up. Your response was get over it. And I'm simply explaining why some fans have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:20 AM
TBLightningFan

Quote:
But hey its a message board and the conversation went that direction. I just thought the Ole chanting was really weird. Watching the game it was more of a shock. I was thinking "No way are they doing that"

Go Habs Go works just fine...LOL

(and yes I semi-started the FL talk...the others reacted)

Old
04-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
You would think Canadians would be proud that their sport and their league is growing. So why not enjoy the fact that the Lightning finally built a team the right way. Plus other young teams are looking at the Lightnings way of business and want to do the same.
I was more proud of my sport before it got tainted with all the garbage that came along with expansion in the US... anyways, I'm not knocking TB or anything. I think they're a fine team. Ambience is a little meak down there, but a fine team none the less.

Quote:
If we cant have hockey... they cant have baseball or basketball.
You mean the two Canadian baseball teams and what? 1 or 2 basketball teams? (Does Vancouver still have a team?)

Ok, sold. You can keep 'em.

Edit: Habs fans have a lot of chants... "go habs go" to pump, "ole" when they're happy, and the "goodbye" song in the closing minutes of a good win. They also have the more frequent "booooo", but I'll not talk about that now.

Last edited by Wildbeliefs: 04-28-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old
04-28-2004, 09:45 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
I dont care that your fans do it... I can give a crap.

trolling...dont think so. Just telling it how it is. We do something un-hockey like at out place... Hab fans go off on the hockey in florida crap.

We mention one thing and not even really speak against it... I am a Troll.

I was really just asking why...and what the connection was. Hogans connection...he lives in the area. Ole (Spanish).... Quebec. I'm not making the connection. The chant is something I'd expect down here first or in Miami where there are lots of soccer fans that may be at a hockey game.

I know you lost last night but.... chill man.
We do have a lot of immigrants in Quebec by the way. Lot's of portuguese and lots of soccer fans. That could explain the chant.

Closed Thread