HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olé Chant?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 09:57 AM
SuperUnknown

vCash: 500
I don't know or remember how the "Ole, Ole, Ole" chant started, but I know that the sound guy has a recording of the song and plays it to encourage the crowd to sing it.

Also, in Montreal, the crowd will usually follow up on almost any movement that is started (the wave, booing the ref "Niaiseux-Niaiseux-Niaiseux", etc). It's an active crowd that wants to have fun is all.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:03 AM
mcphee

Enjoy your team, what the hell's with the persecution complex ? Who cares what city the opposition is in ? Who's telling you your opinion isn't valid. Most Tb posts are about a perceived lack of respect, I find no one to talk hockey with on your board. I don't see many posts about hockey. You spend all your time complaining. You want to talk hockey , by all means do so.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:03 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
I was thinking, after almost a century of tradition, someone would come up with something better than "Go habs Go" and immitate spanish soccer crowds. The chant is even wrong, its "ole, ole ole ole, NAME, NAME"; where NAME is the team you are cheering for.

Thanks for the information though guys, I thought there was actually some sort of story/folk lore to it.

There are few chants in professional sports that pump the crowd up
Americans trying to teach us how to "chant" a latin language song!?! LOL now that's good!!

Old
04-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Cloudigger

I have a friend who is from Romania, and he said that in russian " Shaibu " = puck. They use Shaibu to encourage their hockey players when they are at the games... and you know what when they are at soccer's game they also encourage their player by yelling "Shaibu Shaibu Shaibu" .. so I guess its not only a Montréal thing ....

I may not know much about Soccer (football), but i Know there is no puck

and sorry for the russians if I mispelled the word

Old
04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
You spend all your time complaining.
I think I could say the same thing...I think.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan
Agreed.

But why cant Tampa have a Hulk Hogan get our crowd pumped up? Were opened minded too... but wait.. we are not allowed to have hockey in Florida.
Oh man Tampa fans' inferiority complex is getting old fast. Why would you even care what other fans think?

Old
04-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
I'm tellin ya... every time we try to have a discussion about hockey we get that. If we cant have hockey... they cant have baseball or basketball.

You would think Canadians would be proud that their sport and their league is growing. So why not enjoy the fact that the Lightning finally built a team the right way. Plus other young teams are looking at the Lightnings way of business and want to do the same.

The only reason TB has a hard time pulling in new fans is that people dont give up their allegances even when thay have lived in FL for over 10 years. People just wont convert and is silly. Support your hometown...especially if it has a team of its own.

Just my opinion
The reason Canadian fans, and Canadiens fans, oppose Southern expansion is that it has watered down the league. The NHL was better as a twenty-one team league, when we didn't have to see the Habs play teams that no one cares about, like Atlanta or Anaheim (don't know if you were around to remember that).

And as for "builing your team the right way"...please. It takes real genius to finish near dead last for over a decade and then finally have a team that is somewhat respectable. Minnesota I can respect. Apart from the last couple of years, you guys are an utter joke. That's why you can't "convert" new fans. I'm sure the bandwagon will pick up soon for you, though.

Old
04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
In reply to the original question, Montreal has very large Italian, Spanish and Arab populations, all who love soccer. Hell, I went to a school where they chanted Ole in the halls. Montreal is a VERY "Europeanesque" city.

As for people complaining, "You're not doing it right."

Old
04-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Erack82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
In reply to the original question, Montreal has very large Italian, Spanish and Arab populations, all who love soccer. Hell, I went to a school where they chanted Ole in the halls. Montreal is a VERY "Europeanesque" city.

As for people complaining, "You're not doing it right."
Interesting. Luongo's name comes to mind, I believe he is Italian. Ramzi Abid, sounds Arab? Anyone know about his roots?

Old
04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
mcphee

montreal has had a nice mix for a long time. I went to grade 1 in 1961 and was one of the few non Italians in my class. They always had better lunches than me.

Old
04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
montreal has had a nice mix for a long time. I went to grade 1 in 1961 and was one of the few non Italians in my class. They always had better lunches than me.
Yeah, but the sopprasetta made the outside of their brown bags all greasy, so it wasn't all good.

Old
04-28-2004, 12:05 PM
mcphee

Nothing tastes better than stolen food.

Old
04-28-2004, 12:16 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
I'm tellin ya... every time we try to have a discussion about hockey we get that. If we cant have hockey... they cant have baseball or basketball.
Didn't we invent basketball? Anyway, regardless, you can keep it. I went to several Grizzlies games and it was the lamest sporting event I have ever attended, regardless of the outcome. I won't get into the details, but suffice it to say that it resembled a Lightning home game. (ouch.)

As for our happy olé song, maybe we should cease with singing it altogether and instead perform it as morse code with our "thunderstix." Does anyone know how that would go? dash-dash-dot...?

Old
04-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Didn't we invent basketball? Anyway, regardless, you can keep it. I went to several Grizzlies games and it was the lamest sporting event I have ever attended, regardless of the outcome. I won't get into the details, but suffice it to say that it resembled a Lightning home game. (ouch.)

As for our happy olé song, maybe we should cease with singing it altogether and instead perform it as morse code with our "thunderstix." Does anyone know how that would go? dash-dash-dot...?
Actually I think it was a Canadian that was teaching at an American university or something like that.

Old
04-28-2004, 12:38 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Watching a hockey game from Tampa Bay is very, very boring. It gets worse when a loser wrestler and his daughter that can't sing try and bring things to life. And the thundersticks? Oh god...

Old
04-28-2004, 12:41 PM
mcphee

Oh,JL don't be hurtful. Apparently we'll be singing show tunes at the next game.

Old
04-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXATF23
Please explain....why.

It's hockey, not soccer. Please help me understand why? Spanish word in a French speaking region, Im just *** baffled by it.

-chris
Actually, it's a lot less surprising that it would occur in a French speaking region than in an English speaking region. Spanish and French shares its root in latin language so a lot of words are quite close.

Old
04-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
The reason Canadian fans, and Canadiens fans, oppose Southern expansion is that it has watered down the league. The NHL was better as a twenty-one team league, when we didn't have to see the Habs play teams that no one cares about, like Atlanta or Anaheim (don't know if you were around to remember that).

And as for "builing your team the right way"...please. It takes real genius to finish near dead last for over a decade and then finally have a team that is somewhat respectable. Minnesota I can respect. Apart from the last couple of years, you guys are an utter joke. That's why you can't "convert" new fans. I'm sure the bandwagon will pick up soon for you, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee

I don't have a problem with what people do in their own building. As for Tampa building their team the right way... well uh like somebody else said... finishing at the bottom of the league for about a decade isn't the way to build a team... or win fans.

Old
04-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
It's not only in Montreal. Soccer is becoming more and more popular throughout the Province. I am from a little town and I was surprised to see a lot of people knowing soccer in my Cégep. Unfortunatly, a lot of them cheer for the Man. U.

Old
04-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Necrophile

Instead of worrying about what our crowd chants during Habs' games, why not worry about all those empty seats of yours in the 2nd round of the playoffs with a young, talented, speedy, exciting and successful team on the ice.

Ouch! ...

Old
04-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Erack82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Instead of worrying about what our crowd chants during Habs' games, why not worry about all those empty seats of yours in the 2nd round of the playoffs with a young, talented, speedy, exciting and successful team on the ice.

Ouch! ...
Funny how fans will still come to our playoff games....seeing as how we are most likely to advance in the playoffs.

Ouch!.....

Old
04-28-2004, 01:59 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
Funny how fans will still come to our playoff games....seeing as how we are most likely to advance in the playoffs.

Ouch!.....
Look buddy, I hate to be mean, but you're a Tampa Bay Lightning fan. Tampa Bay!

Old
04-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Erack82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Look buddy, I hate to be mean, but you're a Tampa Bay Lightning fan. Tampa Bay!
Guess you got me there

Old
04-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82

Ouch!.....
If you're coming to this board to look for hockey discussion as you claimed in a previous post, why do you only participate in troll-threads?

Old
04-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Anyway, it is better to hear some "partisanerie" like those Olé Olé tha make some ambiance than hearing a poor crowd not knowing hockey after all stick with your baseball!

Do not take these comments seriously.

Closed Thread