HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Olé Chant?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Erack82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
If you're coming to this board to look for hockey discussion as you claimed in a previous post, why do you only participate in troll-threads?
Your fans are the ones who continue to be first in making the "trolling" comments. Who was the one to start...well you should worry about filling up your seats. Impossible I tell you.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:26 PM
chicpea*

Erack, I suggest you go back to hockeyland. You cannot accuse us of trolling our own board.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Hab-Dawgs

I want to win a pig!!!

Old
04-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Erack82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Erack, I suggest you go back to hockeyland. You cannot accuse us of trolling our own board.
Ahh, so it is ok for you to insult people on your "own" board.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
chicpea*

Yes. I try not to, and I'm usually pretty open, but in a thread making fun of our song, I think I have every right to make 'wisecracks' (or dumbcracks as is more often the case). You are always welcome here provided we stick to hockey. If I go on your board, I expect to be bashed when I stray off topic.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
Ahh, so it is ok for you to insult people on your "own" board.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=68410

Old
04-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
Your fans are the ones who continue to be first in making the "trolling" comments. Who was the one to start...well you should worry about filling up your seats. Impossible I tell you.
It doesn't matter who starts it. Why do you bother bickering? If you want discussion then steer clear of these types of threads. There's trolls among any group of fans; no sense in arguing all of them. You seem like an intelligent fella which is why I'm asking this. There's a good amount of quality on this forum, you just need to overlook some remarks and not take little digs at the Tampa franchise so seriously.

Old
04-28-2004, 02:43 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudigger
I have a friend who is from Romania, and he said that in russian " Shaibu " = puck. They use Shaibu to encourage their hockey players when they are at the games... and you know what when they are at soccer's game they also encourage their player by yelling "Shaibu Shaibu Shaibu" .. so I guess its not only a Montréal thing ....

I may not know much about Soccer (football), but i Know there is no puck

and sorry for the russians if I mispelled the word
How would your Romanian friend speak russian, and also there is no hockey in Romania?

Old
04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
I can't believe i'm reading a thread like this.

What do you care what we are singing. As a side note, a lot of people love soccer in Montreal and were used to sing this song in their country. Soccer, Hockey?
are those songs digitaly mark, and can only be used for ONE sport?

Please when you start a thread think about it first and let us cheer for our team anyway we like.

Last edited by Catala: 04-28-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old
04-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Getting back on topic, I think the chant started when Mike Ribeiro came into the league. He's got portuguese blood in him (although he looks skinny enough to not have ANY blood in him), and so the fans would sing the soccer anthem.

I'm wondering why they stopped chanting 'Les Canadiens Sont La'.

On a side note, I was in England about 5 years ago and went to several premiership (soccer) games. I was also in Australia last years and participated in a few Aussie Rules Football games. Over there every team has their own 'anthem', an entire song that they occassionally play over the loudspeakers and everyone chants along. Maybe we can do that before each period or something. If the Canadiens organization would release a new chant (even the Montreal IMPACT soccer team has/had a chant) then the fans would sing away.

Montreal is a unique city. And a unique team. Let's make a unique anthem.

I hereby give Kerberos the role of writing the poetic words to the anthem, and Furax the role of mixing the song and sending it to the proper people.

All in favour say 'Dutchy put your pants on.'

Lafleur thinks that if our poetic master can't come up with words, then we use words that make no sense. He suggests:

Ooh walla walla, boing hop skitter wang wang.
Measles weasles hip hop ole chortle chortle snork.
Bing bang wing wang tinker bell my friends.
So let's go, win the game, our dear Canadiens.

There's also a french version of this song, which someone (perhaps Moumni_bachir?) will translate for us.

Old
04-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Erack82

Quote:
Yes. I try not to, and I'm usually pretty open, but in a thread making fun of our song, I think I have every right to make 'wisecracks' (or dumbcracks as is more often the case). You are always welcome here provided we stick to hockey. If I go on your board, I expect to be bashed when I stray off topic.
Thanks But keep in mind, I didn't bash anyone about singing this song. Back to the subject now *thumbsup*

Old
04-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois
I'm wondering why they stopped chanting 'Les Canadiens Sont La'.

Lafleur thinks that if our poetic master can't come up with words, then we use words that make no sense. He suggests:

Ooh walla walla, boing hop skitter wang wang.
Measles weasles hip hop ole chortle chortle snork.
Bing bang wing wang tinker bell my friends.
So let's go, win the game, our dear Canadiens.

There's also a french version of this song, which someone (perhaps Moumni_bachir?) will translate for us.
I think that the song les Canadiens sont là is too homo for the game of hockey (sorry for the homos).

And here's come the traduction

Ooh, voilà voilà, huer muffin skateur chinois chinois.
Mise les, ouiz les, Malik Shaheed Ole glousse glousse.
Bing Bang, chinois chinois, Cloche penseuse mes amis.
Sceau les laids vont, gagner le* partie, nos chevreuil Canadiens!

*: rire des anglais dans leur façon de confondre le genre est si facile!

Old
04-28-2004, 03:20 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
It doesn't matter who starts it. Why do you bother bickering? If you want discussion then steer clear of these types of threads. You seem like an intelligent fella which is why I'm asking this. ...you just need to overlook some remarks and not take little digs at the Tampa franchise so seriously.
Agreed. Hate the team from a hockey point of view but dont bash the residents. Some here do. Truthfully I dont know too many natives in Tampa. Everyone is a transplant from the Northeast/ Midwest and Canada. We have TONS of Canadians here in the winter. Plus Florida is not like the rest of the Southeastern US.

BUILDING THE LIGHTNING: When I say the team was built right... I'm talking when we finally got an owner who knows how to run a team. Not those dumb japanese investors that owned the team for the first 7-8 years. We have no choice in who owns the team. In the beginning there was no nope. This team has been real since Palace Sports(Davidson) purchased the team. Davidson knows what hes doing having been the owner of the Pistons for many years. Since 99 this team has been transformed starting at the top.

I think Green Bay, WI has got it right. The city should own the team. Not a private company or investor.

I like the Canadians and "try" to keep the bashing at a hockey level.

Old
04-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
How would your Romanian friend speak russian, and also there is no hockey in Romania?
Hmmm maybe because Romania was once part of the USSR...And he travelled in Russia when he was younger ????? you know, because you are not from a country does not mean you dont speak the language of it, and its not because you are born in one country that you can't travel... you know he is Romanian and now he lives in Québec, he speaks, Russian, French, English and Romanian of course....I don't see the problems with that...

sorry for sharing .. I just thought it was a funny story...

and yes there is hockey in Romania

http://www.hockeyarchives.info/Roumanie2002.htm

Last edited by Cloudigger: 04-28-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old
04-28-2004, 03:38 PM
chicpea*

During the WJCs there was a Russian fan who, whenever they scored, would type
SHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was pretty annoying actually.

Old
04-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy
Americans trying to teach us how to "chant" a latin language song!?! LOL now that's good!!

we are closer to latin america than you, and Tampa Bay is a noted for having a high spanish speaking population; haveing such areas as "little Havana".

What makes you think im not even spanish speaking? Or even a soccer fan? sigh

Old
04-28-2004, 04:04 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudigger
Hmmm maybe because Romania was once part of the USSR...And he travelled in Russia when he was younger ????? you know, because you are not from a country does not mean you dont speak the language of it, and its not because you are born in one country that you can't travel... you know he is Romanian and now he lives in Québec, he speaks, Russian, French, English and Romanian of course....I don't see the problems with that...

sorry for sharing .. I just thought it was a funny story...

and yes there is hockey in Romania

http://www.hockeyarchives.info/Roumanie2002.htm
nah that's a Mickey Mouse league (I know that I am half Romanian), as for Romanians speaking Russian, very few, Romanian is a romance (latin based) language, compare to the other ex-soviet countries (all slavic).
Good for your friend anyway....all good budy, my mistake

Old
04-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Rschmitz

I think the original maker of this thread was trying to troll, but I was actualy curious as to why the "ole ole ole" chant. Someone told me it was some form of "go habs go" in french, because I honestly don't know. But let me repeat, thx for the info. This thread has served its purpose, after the first explanation that you all did it in fun, it has obviously faded into a different direction.

p.s.-I'm guessing alot of the indignation by my fellow Lightning posters is in reponse to the "Hulk Hogan and Hockey go together like _____" threads(you can't really blame them for pressing this topic I guess). Now both sides see that cities do different things to pump their crowds; Montreal has ole ole and towels, Tampa Bay has thunderstix and Hulk Hogan+hot chick. Good luck in Game 4

Old
04-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
During the WJCs there was a Russian fan who, whenever they scored, would type
SHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was pretty annoying actually.
How do we prononce Shaibu? Because when I pronounce it look like a Pokemon name, esti.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
nah that's a Mickey Mouse league (I know that I am half Romanian), as for Romanians speaking Russian, very few, Romanian is a romance (latin based) language, compare to the other ex-soviet countries (all slavic).
Latvia is slavic speaking?

Old
04-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
I think the original maker of this thread was trying to troll, but I was actualy curious as to why the "ole ole ole" chant. Someone told me it was some form of "go habs go" in french, because I honestly don't know. But let me repeat, thx for the info. This thread has served its purpose, after the first explanation that you all did it in fun, it has obviously faded into a different direction.

p.s.-I'm guessing alot of the indignation by my fellow Lightning posters is in reponse to the "Hulk Hogan and Hockey go together like _____" threads(you can't really blame them for pressing this topic I guess). Now both sides see that cities do different things to pump their crowds; Montreal has ole ole and towels, Tampa Bay has thunderstix and Hulk Hogan+hot chick. Good luck in Game 4
Yeah but comparing Hulk Hogan to a chant...

And for your information Olé Olé Olé as some similarities to Allez Allez Allez and in english that means GO GO GO! Anyway, it is better to hear that than U-S-A! Who's american on that ice? Mike Komisarek and Jim Dowd! Let's go guys continue to cheer our players!

Old
04-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Rschmitz

OT:

Did anyone hear about the Lightning chanting the ole ole ole chant after the game?

Old
04-28-2004, 04:17 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
OT:

Did anyone hear about the Lightning chanting the ole ole ole chant after the game?
Better start singing it if you want respect

Old
04-28-2004, 04:20 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Latvia is slavic speaking?
No that belongs to the Baltic countries!

Old
04-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
No problem... and I understand your reaction now ;o) .. and I knew about romanian being a latin based language ....

Closed Thread