HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 Team Canada?

Old
03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Delta Cubes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Listen, I love Toews. He's a fantastic player in all facets of the game and I certainly wouldn't complain in the least if he were our next captain. Crosby however, is arguably the face of the entire hockey world, and certainly the poster boy for Canadian hockey. He's the youngest captain to ever win the Stanley Cup, and the youngest player to ever lead a professional North American sports league in scoring. Crosby draws the opposition's top line defenders all the time and has to deal with constant harassment and tight checking. I think his offensive output was more than satisfactory given the fact that the top defensemen from each nation we played basically wore Crosby like a pair of boxers. Sid took the brunt of the opposition attention, and allowed our other stars such as Toews, Nash, Heatley, Getzlaf, Staal, and many others to fly under the radar a bit more than they usually would on their NHL clubs. Also take into consideration the fact that Crosby has seniority over Toews, something that Hockey Canada seems to value to a certain extent when choosing a captain.
Toews was out on the ice with Nash and Richards shutting down the oppositions best, ie. Ovechkin. I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby is captain, in fact, I'm counting on it. But I would want Toews to wear the C. A person can dream.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post

But then again, Bettman might not even allow NHL'ers go in 2014.
Bettman knows its important to the players that they participate so he's setting the stage for CBA negotiations where NHL player inclusion will be a concession from the owners and the players will in turn give up ....fill in the blank......

They'll be there.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:41 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

i think duchene will be the 2014 version of jonathan toews

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Oh, I'm definitely Pro-Seguin. I know how he stacks up with Hall and fully believe he will be a better pro (however Hall's skating is still better), but Hall has the advantage of being a natural LW, which IMO is a relative weakness for Canada.
Point taken. Canada definitely lacks in the natural wing department.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:43 AM
KidCanada*

im interested to see if eberle can take his game to the pros. he's already the most clutch player i've seen in any sport.

KidCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:43 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Bettman knows its important to the players that they participate so he's setting the stage for CBA negotiations where NHL player inclusion will be a concession from the owners and the players will in turn give up ....fill in the blank......

They'll be there.
100% agree and this will probably be the last olympics nhler go, sadly because i cant see bettman (if he's still running the league by then...please no) go to south korea for the 2018 olympics

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:23 AM
loxcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanada View Post
im interested to see if eberle can take his game to the pros. he's already the most clutch player i've seen in any sport.
I'll assume by "I've seen", you mean personally, live, and in the last 2 years.

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
sabresandcanucks

I expect Myers and Doughty to be the dominant tandem in 2014 on the blue line.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
And if Toews wins the Stanley cup this year? (which is very well a possibility). After this tournament, I'm not all that impressed with Crosby's performance. I mean yeah he scored the OT winning goal, but he hasn't been all that consistent in all the games. When you look at a player like Toews, he's been our most consistent forward. He lead our team in points, +/-, face off %, assists. All this coming into the tournament as the 13th forward. Easily one of the most underrated players.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...+joking+matter
So what if Toews wins a SC this year? It still wouldn't hold a candle next to Crosby's achievements thus far. There's no point playing the "what if's" game, what if Crosby wins another SC this year, and the conn symthe, and the rocket?

Im not impressed with Crosby's offensive performance either, but you know what? he put up 7p in 7games, and yet we're all calling him inconsistent and such, it just means he is THAT good.

I'll tell you this, since it doesn't seem like you've been here long,
Toews, on this board he is rated just right - or to the point of being overrated. No body on will disagree that Toews had an exceptional tournament.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:54 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Im not impressed with Crosby's offensive performance either, but you know what? he put up 7p in 7games, and yet we're all calling him inconsistent and such, it just means he is THAT good.
I think he meant inconsistent in a streaky way. 7 points in 7 games, but 6 of those points were in the round robin.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:07 AM
finchster

my 2014 team
Bolded new players

Stamkos - Crosby - Tavares
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Toews - Duchene - Hall
J.Staal - Richards - E.Staal

Myers - Green
Keith - Seabrook
Weber - Doughty

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:12 AM
loxcane

Should Hall play a game first or.....

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:17 AM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post
Won't matter as Bettman won't allow it ...
the league will leave this guy behind, he will lose every russian in the league if he doesnt play ball and they cant afford that

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:27 AM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoalov View Post
Should Hall play a game first or.....
Canada lacks talented wingers, in this olympics we used mostly centres on the wing. I figure Hall is a talented natural winger and could prove himself in two and a half seasons. Guys like Morrow, Iginla, Bergeron and perhaps Marleau/Heatley/Thornton may not around for the next olympics so there is certainly room for young blood. Guys like Zajac, Sharp, Horton, Neal etc will have a chance to make it as well

Hall was kind of a reaching pick really

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Geese_Howard*

We will win it all again, no doubt in my mind, we are the greatest country in the world and we have the best hockey players ever.

GO CANADA GO!!!

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Sad Panda

We have a really good young core with this 2010 team that should be there in 2014. A few spots will open up from older guys moving on, they'll likely be filled by guys like Stamkos, Duchene, Myers, etc.

Alex Pietrangelo is a guy who I think can develop into something great by 2014. I won't be shocked to see him make the team.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:43 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Canada lacks talented wingers, in this olympics we used mostly centres on the wing. I figure Hall is a talented natural winger and could prove himself in two and a half seasons. Guys like Morrow, Iginla, Bergeron and perhaps Marleau/Heatley/Thornton may not around for the next olympics so there is certainly room for young blood. Guys like Zajac, Sharp, Horton, Neal etc will have a chance to make it as well

Hall was kind of a reaching pick really

Heater will be 33 and Marleau and Thornton will be 34. Certainly not old, but they could be passed by younger players. I expect Heater would be on the team and it would not surprise me if Marleau is at the same level than as he is now, his fitness is incredible, and he seems to be getting better with age. Thornton's fitness however, is not much to write home about, and it would not surprise me if he did not make the team.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Flyers33

Stamkos-Crosby-Carter
Heatley-Getzlaf-Perry
E.Staal-Toews-Nash
Richards-J.Staal-Simmonds
Duchene

Doughty-Myers
Keith-Weber
Bouwmeester-Green
Seabrook

Luongo
Fleury
Ward

Flyers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:49 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Richards- Toews- Nash
Staal- Crosby- Iginla
Tavares- Duchene- Stamkos
Neal- Getzlaf- Perry

Keith- Doughty
Bouwmeester- Weber
Phaneuf- Myers

Luongo
Ward

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
leafsfuture

While we are at 2014, why not list potential rosters for 2011 World Cup?

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:05 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Evander Kane, Matt Duchene, and Martin St Louis are the kind of players to send over a Joe Thornton, Patrice Bergeron, or Marc Savard. Too bad Marty will be too old to go to the show next time, really is a shame.

Richards - Toews - Nash
Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Kane - Duchene - Stamkos
Iginla - Getzlaf - Perry

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Green - Myers

Luongo
Fleury

I'm pretty sure that this team in 4 years would kill what was iced this year.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I highly doubt any of Tavares, Duchene, Seguin or Hall make the Olympics by 2014.

Stamkos' quickly development should be an exception, not the standard.
huh? Toews made the team in his 3rd year in the league, why can't Hall or Seguin in their 4th, or Duchene in his 5th?

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Teemu

Just for fun, here's the predictions from 2006

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=224662

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Evander Kane, Matt Duchene, and Martin St Louis are the kind of players to send over a Joe Thornton, Patrice Bergeron, or Marc Savard. Too bad Marty will be too old to go to the show next time, really is a shame.

Richards - Toews - Nash
Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Kane - Duchene - Stamkos
Iginla - Getzlaf - Perry

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Green - Myers

Luongo
Fleury

I'm pretty sure that this team in 4 years would kill what was iced this year.
Iginla will be 36 or so in 4 years.. and on a big ice.. I think he'll be too slow. I'll also be surprised if Seabrook makes it since he wasn't great this time around. I think we may see someone like Hall or Seguin (yes they haven't played in the NHL yet, so they have to prove their worth). As for another defender.. Marc Staal might be a good shutdown guy to go with Keith.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:57 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Iginla will be 36 or so in 4 years.. and on a big ice.. I think he'll be too slow. I'll also be surprised if Seabrook makes it since he wasn't great this time around. I think we may see someone like Hall or Seguin (yes they haven't played in the NHL yet, so they have to prove their worth). As for another defender.. Marc Staal might be a good shutdown guy to go with Keith.
Staal over Seabrook could certainly be the right move if Seabrook's development curve levels off. I know Iggy will be old, but the pure leadership and experience value of having him around, not to mention skill/heart factor, makes him too alluring to pass up assuming he hasn't slowed down much. That is a pretty big assumption though, and the odds that some young gun prospect like Tavares, Hall, or Hodgson surpasses him by then are indeed quite good.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote