HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 Team Canada?

Old
03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
thomasincanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Staal over Seabrook could certainly be the right move if Seabrook's development curve levels off. I know Iggy will be old, but the pure leadership and experience value of having him around, not to mention skill/heart factor, makes him too alluring to pass up assuming he hasn't slowed down much. That is a pretty big assumption though, and the odds that some young gun prospect like Tavares, Hall, or Hodgson surpasses him by then are indeed quite good.
Ultimately your picks look pretty good and make sense. It will be interesting to go back to this thread in 2014 and see how accurate we were. Most of the guys we thought would be on this team in 2006 were not.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
richardn

I will do this just for fun to see how far off I was in 4 years.

Duchene - Crosby - Nash
Heatley - Getzlaf - Perry
E. Staal - Toews - Stamkos
Morrow - M. Richards - Lucic
J. Staal

Tavares, Hall and Kane could make it interesting to crack the team as well.

Keith - Doughty
Weber - Phaneuf
Myers - Bouwmeester
Seabrook

One of M. Staal, L.Schenn, Pietrangelo could possibly crack the team as well.

Luongo
Fleury
Ward

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
markov`

What about guessing the roster for the 2011 World Cup?

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Xav
BoVat Horseman

Id actually love to see Raymond excel and find his way onto the team. Perfect mix of skill, speed and finish.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Canucker1958

The one thing I don't want to see is another all star team.

I would definitely like to see a true energy line, and a true shutdown line, with one shutdown D pair. Look no further than our Junior Team to see how successful this strategy can be.

We need more players who are going to leave it all out on the ice, every game. Example: Alex Burrows. He leads the league in short handed goals, is a fantastic penalty killer, and led the league for an entire month in scoring last year. Best of all, he leaves it all out on the ice every game.

OK, maybe Burrows isn't your cup of tea, but we definitely need more players that play that style of hockey. According to at least two commentators, the best player on the ice for either team: Ryan Kessler, another guy that leaves it all on the ice every game.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:58 AM
richardn

I am going on record now and saying Milan Lucic makes the 2014 team.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
God Bless Canada

It's going to be tough for anyone born before 1980 to be on the team in Sochi, if we send our best to the Olympics in 2014. Heatley, for example, was born in 81. He'll be 33 when 2014 rolls around. Thornton, Marleau, Morrow and Luongo were born in 79. They'll be 34/35 when 2014 rolls around.

Just to put it in perspective, Thornton will be about the same age in 2014 as Pronger is now.

This was the final Olympics for Brodeur, Niedermayer, Pronger and Boyle. It was probably the last tournament for Iginla, Morrow, Thornton and Marleau. Luongo will probably be there in 2014, since I expect he'll still be one of our top three goalies. Heatley might be there. But you're looking at anywhere from four to 10 players who won't be back from this year's team.

It's hard to project how players will continue to develop, and when they'll start to slide. If guys like Marc Staal and Myers continue to develop, they'll probably be there. Canada has produced some outstanding defencemen this decade, so competition will be fierce for blue-line jobs.

Most of the forwards should still be playing at a high level for 2014. Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby, Nash, Staal, Bergeron, Richards and Toews are all guys who are 26 and under. Hard to say who will be playing at what level in 2014, but it could be tough to crack Canada's forward group.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
He'd be a good choice no doubt, but at just 22 years of age, Crosby has already won pretty much everything a player can win. He's a born leader, and a born winner. This is his team from here on out.
This. Toews would do well too and he was Canada's most consistent forward in these Olympics but even though "Canada has four 1st lines", really, Toews never got "1st line attention" from other teams shutdown players. Crosby's line and the San Jose line got match up against the likes of Volchenkov, Chara, Mezeros, Kesler, Rafalski, etc. which left a large gap there for the Getzlaf and Toews lines.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Just for fun:

Stamkos-Crosby-E. Staal
Perry-Getzlaf-Neal/Carter
J. Staal-Richards-Toews
Heatley-Spezza-Nash
(Tavares/Lucic)

Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Myers/Bouwmeester
Weber-Phaneuf
(Green)

Luongo
Fleury
(Ward)

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
on small ice no doubt about it but on big ice i dont know ?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Minister of Offence

Toews may wear a letter. Hell, Doughty might wear a letter.

As much as people have loved Johnny Toews, or are coming to love him now, hes still underrated.

Ive always been a Crosby fan, no more than right now, hes exactly as advertised, never disapoints.

If I had a 7 year old child Id hope John Toews was his hockey hero. It would mean he understands the game the way its supposed to be understood.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
TrueGrit

E. Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Hall - Duchene - Tavares
Richards - Toews - Simmonds
Seguin

Keith - Seabrook
Doughty - Weber
Bouwmeester - Myers
Green

Luongo
Ward
Fleury

Really hard to gauge the young guys so I guess I just went with the favourites

edit: forgot Lucic, not sure where he fits but I believe he'll be there

Last edited by TrueGrit: 03-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.
TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
IMckay

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckshockeyfan View Post
The one thing I don't want to see is another all star team.

I would definitely like to see a true energy line, and a true shutdown line, with one shutdown D pair. Look no further than our Junior Team to see how successful this strategy can be.

We need more players who are going to leave it all out on the ice, every game. Example: Alex Burrows. He leads the league in short handed goals, is a fantastic penalty killer, and led the league for an entire month in scoring last year. Best of all, he leaves it all out on the ice every game.

OK, maybe Burrows isn't your cup of tea, but we definitely need more players that play that style of hockey. According to at least two commentators, the best player on the ice for either team: Ryan Kessler, another guy that leaves it all on the ice every game.
So you're saying that the team that WON the gold medal game against the US should change their strategy and instead use the strategy that the team that LOST in the WJC to the US used. That makes sense.

IMckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:47 PM
VanEric

Evander Kane is a real sleeper and I'm glad some people mentioned him. In four years he's going to have filled out and become a man so he could really be a force by then. He'll really have to outperform a lot of guys because he's going to be way under the radar in Atlanta.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:57 PM
IRON JELLY*

PK Subban!

There's my homer vote Although the D lineup looks like it'd be a b*tch to crack

IRON JELLY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
smokes lets go

Its hard to predict putting guys barely in the NHL or in junior on the team(Tavaras, Hall, etc)
anyways heres my team

Staal-Crosby-Stamkos
Richards-Toews-Nash
Neal-Getzlaf-Perry
Kane-J. Staal-Sharp
ex:Tavaras

Kieth-Doughty
Myers-Weber
Bouwmeester-Green
Seabrook

Luongo
Fleury
Ward

The top two forward lines stem from this tournament, while the bottom two are a nightmare to play against but can also contribute a lot offensively and bang a lot of bodies.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
No chance, not on international size ice.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Ironslave

Tavares- Crosby "C"- Stamkos
Richards "A"- Toews "A"- Nash
Kane- Getzlaf- Carter
Hall- Seguin- Staal
Duchene

Keith- Seabrook
Bouwmeester- Weber "A"
Myers- Doughty
Green

Luongo
Fleury
Ward

What I want in this group of players, SPEED on the BIG ICE, which is why I don't have Corey Perry here (I have Jeff Carter instead who is a better skater, despite the Perry/Getzlaf combo), but also guys with size/skill as well. With the exception of Tavares, every one of these guys can just fly.

I think this is why Hall is a pretty sure bet to make the team in his 4th year in the league as he will be flying around the ice, Evander Kane will have a great chance as well as he has blazing speed too, as does Matt Duchene.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Evander Kane is a real sleeper and I'm glad some people mentioned him. In four years he's going to have filled out and become a man so he could really be a force by then. He'll really have to outperform a lot of guys because he's going to be way under the radar in Atlanta.
That doesn't matter at all when it comes to the Executive scouting the team, they watch so many games and specifically travel to scout specific players it doesn't matter if he plays in Toronto or Atlanta, it only matters in the court of popular opinion.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
Tavares- Crosby "C"- Stamkos
Richards "A"- Toews "A"- Nash
Kane- Getzlaf- Carter
Hall- Seguin- Staal
Duchene

Keith- Seabrook
Bouwmeester- Weber "A"
Myers- Doughty
Green

Luongo
Fleury
Ward

What I want in this group of players, SPEED on the BIG ICE, which is why I don't have Corey Perry here (I have Jeff Carter instead who is a better skater, despite the Perry/Getzlaf combo), but also guys with size/skill as well. With the exception of Tavares, every one of these guys can just fly.

I think this is why Hall is a pretty sure bet to make the team in his 4th year in the league as he will be flying around the ice, Evander Kane will have a great chance as well as he has blazing speed too, as does Matt Duchene.
That's a great looking team. Much will change between now and 2014, but one thing is for certain - the current Hockey Canada regime (Yzerman, Holland, Lowe, Babcock, etc.) will have the intelligence and guts to completely remodel the roster in order to compete and go for Gold on the international ice surface. The current roster was selected with the NHL ice surface in mind - however, when it comes to international ice, players like Morrow, Perry, Pronger and Thornton lose much of their effectiveness given their lack of speed. I think the current regime "gets it", and will select a much faster and more mobile roster, while keeping in mind defensive responsibility and our strong forechecking style.

Of the players on the 2010 roster, you're right - Perry, Morrow and Thornton (if still effective) will likely be on the outside looking in. Iginla will probably be too old and on the downside of his career. If they're still performing at a 40-goal level, I think Marleau and Heatley still have a good shot of making the team; I especially liked Marleau's complete game this tournament, and Heatley could add quite a bit to a PP. It all depends on the development of our next wave of young offensive talent - Heatley's unique skill-set might be made redundant by Tavares, Stamkos, etc. Bergeron will need to improve significantly in the next 4 years to even have a shot at this roster - playing well in a few WC's are a necessity for him.

The defense looks great, though I think Seabrook might by that time get passed by younger d-men (Schenn), or maybe even a guy like Phaneuf can continue to round out his overall game and crack this team. Yzerman and Co. don't strike me as the kind of guys to go for the "experience" factor (by virtue of not selecting guys like Doan, St. Louis, Smyth), so possible returnees shouldn't count on that to make this team.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Dgill

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=224662

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=224402

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...am+Canada+2010

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...am+Canada+2010

Found these threads interesting, some as old as four years, youngest is two years. Keep these in mind with your predictions people, it may help you with decisions!

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:14 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Duchene - Crosby - Nash
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Carter - Toews - Stamkos
Neal - M. Richards - Lucic
J.Staal

Keith - Doughty
Weber - Phaneuf
Myers - Green
Bouwmeester - Staal

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
HenriquesJawLine

Any chance Travis Zajac makes it?

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:34 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Nash Crosby Stamkos
Heatley Toews Hall
Carter Getzlaf Duchene
Richards J.Staal E. Staal
(Tavares, Neal)

Keith-Myers(only cause he will have bulked up, thank you usa )
Doughty-Hamhuis
Weber-Green
(Burns)

Luongo
Fleury
(Mason)

missing Seabrook, Letang , Coburn, Horton, Big Joe and Sharp but we'll win no matter what.....Edler's going to be a beast too.

Last edited by lakai17: 12-05-2010 at 04:49 AM.
lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:37 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJParise09 View Post
Any chance Travis Zajac makes it?
World championships for sure bud.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote