HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Ron Wilson post game comments

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Anyone want to guess how many times "classless" has been said in the last 2 weeks? Give you a hint so you can ball park it. It's been used in 45 threads over the last 2 weeks in the General Hockey Discussion section alone
I'm not sure if that is impressive or absolutely despicable.

Probably a little bit of both.

Old
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
goleafsgo87*

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...02?hub=Toronto lol come on ron

Old
03-02-2010, 06:10 PM
ECanuck

Ron Wilson is just mad that Brodeur wasn't kept in while struggling and on a cold streak. Yes Ron, Canadians are not worried about the US team!

Old
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
mvp76

As a coach Wilson is the one who should teach sportsmanship and losing with dignity..I saw more class from Dubinsky

Old
03-02-2010, 06:16 PM
fronkjonk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Ron Wilson knows more about the game of hockey than any of you could ever hope to.

His opinion is more valuable than that of any hfboards all-star.
Including yours, and the garbage you just wrote.

Which can go in the dumpster with Ron Wilsons tears and lame excuses for losing,

Old
03-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
so to paraphrase - Ron just told Canadians that 'hey you guys won- and that that hurts - but it's really not as a big of a deal you are all making it out to be. In five years no one is going to remember this game.'

I guess he really doesn't understand Canada does he.

Old
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
mvp76

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
i had a coffee table that fell apart last week, couldn't believe how Ikea built it so cheaply and of poor quality, i lost a lot of respect for the entire population of Sweden that's for sure.
hahahah! Well put

Old
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
That was a deflection and Crosby's goal wasn't "sniped" at all. He just threw it on net, and caught Miller napping for a second. It was a soft goal. The Canadians were a soft goal away from a total meltdown.
I have news for you from a guy that player some pretty high level hockey in his time, you just described about 75% of the goals ever scored. Most are shots just fired at the net, and not "sniped". This does not make it a "soft" goal by any stretch of any hockey player's imagination.

If you are a hockey player, you know this. If not, then you really should not comment on something you have no clue about. Sorry, but that is the truth.

Old
03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
He's right about the Brodeur thing. It was completely sickening to watch, to read and listen to, how his own countrymen turned against him after all he's done for that country and all. Sickening. I lost a lot of respect for Canadians, that's for sure.

everyone in canada still recognizes Brodeur as one of the best all time and appreciates all he did for this country, he's still a hero for 02, but we also know where the problems are when the team isn't winning and his past doesn't excuse the fact that when you want to win the olympics the performance he was giving was simply not good enough and he needed to be replaced. Great career, great player for Canada, weak link in the 2010 olympics that's all it is.

Old
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
MrQuotes

while i cant speak for all devils fans, i do think that he probably should've been benched and it was luongo's time be canada's goalie.

i think alot of us devils fans didnt like the reactions that came from the First vs USA game because about 90% of it was reactionary and it called for brodeur's head, and i do think he was at the center of most the grief coming from this board. now that i'm reflecting on it i can see it as just kind of a monday morning quarterbacking thing, the same reactionary behavior that i see all my football friends do when their team or player loses a big game and a scapegoat is the best type of Novocaine.

brodeur's image didnt get tarnished, and his legacy and reputation with canada didnt take a hit cause, let's face it, they won the gold, now he's just another teammate to celebrate with.

Old
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronkjonk View Post
Including yours, and the garbage you just wrote.

Which can go in the dumpster with Ron Wilsons tears and lame excuses for losing,
I don't see where I offered my opinion, just stating some painfully obvious facts.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuotes View Post
while i cant speak for all devils fans, i do think that he probably should've been benched and it was luongo's time be canada's goalie.

i think alot of us devils fans didnt like the reactions that came from the First vs USA game because about 90% of it was reactionary and it called for brodeur's head, and i do think he was at the center of most the grief coming from this board. now that i'm reflecting on it i can see it as just kind of a monday morning quarterbacking thing, the same reactionary behavior that i see all my football friends do when their team or player loses a big game and a scapegoat is the best type of Novocaine.

brodeur's image didnt get tarnished, and his legacy and reputation with canada didnt take a hit cause, let's face it, they won the gold, now he's just another teammate to celebrate with.
I love Marty Brodeur. He's a national hero. The poblem I had with his game (and the problem Wilson would have had to), is that he acted a bit selfish when playing those two pucks that eventually resulted in goals. I know he is awesome with the puck, but awesome against the Florida Panthers and awesome against Team USA are two different things. He should have trusted his defense to make those plays, instead of ??batting?? the puck. The right call was made in taking him out. I still wish him a ton of success.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
BIG BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
so to paraphrase - Ron just told Canadians that 'hey you guys won- and that that hurts - but it's really not as a big of a deal you are all making it out to be. In five years no one is going to remember this game.'

I guess he really doesn't understand Canada does he.
and by paraphrasing him, you changed what he said/meant.

Quote:
"You don't think in terms of anything but winning the whole thing. In five years, no one's going to give a damn. It's who won. I mean, we know that."
what he meant is that the gold medal winners are what is remembered in 5 years, not who came in 2nd.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
MrQuotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I love Marty Brodeur. He's a national hero. The poblem I had with his game (and the problem Wilson would have had to), is that he acted a bit selfish when playing those two pucks that eventually resulted in goals. I know he is awesome with the puck, but awesome against the Florida Panthers and awesome against Team USA are two different things. He should have trusted his defense to make those plays, instead of ??batting?? the puck. The right call was made in taking him out. I still wish him a ton of success.
i scratched my head at those plays as well. i think it was a combination for him having the desire to exercise his right to now be allowed play the puck(Intl. Rules), and i dont think he had total faith on the defensive end of the team at that time. from what i saw, they looked pretty flat footed in the face of USA's forecheck, he might've gotten restless.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
everyone in canada still recognizes Brodeur as one of the best all time and appreciates all he did for this country, he's still a hero for 02, but we also know where the problems are when the team isn't winning and his past doesn't excuse the fact that when you want to win the olympics the performance he was giving was simply not good enough and he needed to be replaced. Great career, great player for Canada, weak link in the 2010 olympics that's all it is.
Pretty much this.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
lennie

Wilsons a d****e when he was an assistant with the Canucks and he has remained, and will always be a d****e.

How he keeps a job is mind boggling.

Does anybody really think Martys reputation is tarnished??

Old
03-02-2010, 11:30 PM
fronkjonk*

Quote:
I don't see where I offered my opinion, just stating some painfully obvious facts.
Your opinion that Ron Wilson's ******** diatribe is more reflective of reality than any of ours is an opinion. I know you are mad you won, and agreeing with Wilson gives you some kind of backup to your despair, but in the end USA lost and that was not the fault of the ref who's skate got involved in the play. It was the fault of the player checking Iggy, Rafalski, and Miller.

Wilson can lay as much blame as he wants, but his team lost fairly and he should learn to suck it up and be a professional.

I would have thought he would be one of the best coaches in the league in a situation like that.

Old
03-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Mike2000z28

I don't think Luongo outplayed miller at all in the last game. Actually if you watched the last game, both teams played a much closer tighter game. It really could have gone either way. I don't see how anyone can say either team dominated the last game. The shots were 36-36 at the end of regulation and both teams were laying bodies. The game finished as it was destined to. It went the way of the Canucks and thats just the way it goes. It was a great game by both teams.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
after watching these olympics is safe to say the NHL would be alot better if they officiated the games exactly how they did in these games.
Totally agree !
Allowing a little clutching / grabbing during puck battles made for more exciting play.

If someone has a step on the other guy, then call a penalty.
Otherwise, just let them play during puck battles.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:55 AM
elriz

Quote:
omg u r da internet terminator

Old
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
PlayersCoach

Most of you guys are forgetting something quite important:

Ron Wilson invented hockey.

Old
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
elriz

every Team USA player I have heard interviewed about the games has been great. i have no idea why Ron Wilson has his grumpy pants on taking shots at people. why cheapen such a great showing for his squad?

Old
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
MeHateHe

vCash: 0
Although I'm surprised this is still being discussed, I will add a different perspective on this.

Wilson is wearing his grumpy pants because he's going through the classic stages of grief.

First stage: denial. Trying to make an issue out of the puck getting caught up in the referee's skates is making an argument that the game was affected by something out of his control. He's working on the assumption that he did everything possible to prepare his team to win and the only way he can accept the loss is to argue that it wasn't his fault. Truth is, there are a lot of what-ifs that led to the goal, and the puck getting tied up in the ref's skates is a pretty small factor that could have gone either way. Wilson's somewhat bizarre fixation on that small point ameliorates the pain of losing.

Third stage: anger. Lashing out at "everybody" for tarnishing Brodeur's legacy is likewise bizarre, but viewed through the lens of grief makes sense. Anger in this context is rarely rational; why would Wilson care what people think about a goalie he's never even coached?

The first time I saw this interview, I thought he was just being a sore loser. I suppose he is, but at simplest, he's a competitive guy who just faced the biggest loss of his career. Dude is going to have to reach stage 7 - acceptance - at some point or it's going to eat him up.

I've never been a real fan of Ron Wilson. Always thought the guy was a bit of a jerk. But what he's going through is not unusual for someone who has been through the emotional rollercoaster the way he has.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHateHe View Post
Although I'm surprised this is still being discussed, I will add a different perspective on this.

Wilson is wearing his grumpy pants because he's going through the classic stages of grief.

First stage: denial. Trying to make an issue out of the puck getting caught up in the referee's skates is making an argument that the game was affected by something out of his control. He's working on the assumption that he did everything possible to prepare his team to win and the only way he can accept the loss is to argue that it wasn't his fault. Truth is, there are a lot of what-ifs that led to the goal, and the puck getting tied up in the ref's skates is a pretty small factor that could have gone either way. Wilson's somewhat bizarre fixation on that small point ameliorates the pain of losing.

Third stage: anger. Lashing out at "everybody" for tarnishing Brodeur's legacy is likewise bizarre, but viewed through the lens of grief makes sense. Anger in this context is rarely rational; why would Wilson care what people think about a goalie he's never even coached?

The first time I saw this interview, I thought he was just being a sore loser. I suppose he is, but at simplest, he's a competitive guy who just faced the biggest loss of his career. Dude is going to have to reach stage 7 - acceptance - at some point or it's going to eat him up.

I've never been a real fan of Ron Wilson. Always thought the guy was a bit of a jerk. But what he's going through is not unusual for someone who has been through the emotional rollercoaster the way he has.
But he's always like this! I can understand him being upset but he always blames someone other than himself, usually the media or his players. He is just a sour human being in general.

Old
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupgrapes View Post
Wilson has no class, that should come as no surprise to anybody here.

I re watched the gold medal game, and after Crosby scores you can see Wilson ask his assistant "What the **** happened?" and the guy says to him "Crosby." The look on Wilson's face directly after he hears Crosby's name is possibly my favourite image of the Olympics.
Would love to see a picture of this.

Closed Thread