HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Steve Ott Agrees to 4 Year Extension ($2.95 million/year per ESPN Dallas)

Old
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Steve Ott Agrees to 4 Year Extension ($2.95 million/year per ESPN Dallas)

Quote:
Stars winger Steve Ott signed a four-year contract extension today worth $11.8 million ($2.95 million per year). The extension puts Ott under contract through the 2013-14 season.

“Steve has spent his entire NHL career with the Dallas Stars and we wanted to continue that relationship,” said Nieuwendyk. “He is the type of player that we want on our team. Steve has become a versatile offensive player and he makes us a harder team to play against. We are excited to have him in a Stars uniform for the next four years.”
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 03-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Pretty generous but nice to see that we are totally broke-I assume we now do very little at deadline

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Could it be a sign and trade?

I can still see the following players moved:
Brunnstrom
Turco
Barch (Please Jesus)
Daley

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Turco won't go, Barch has as much value as Andrew Peters, Daley and Brunnstrom aren't exactly big ticket items in this auction, but we'll see.

Hopefully we can spin them both for something that fixes this team.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
TangoMcBride

Sweet. I'm glad that I will have the pleasure of watching Ott piss people off for years to come.

TangoMcBride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMcBride View Post
Sweet. I'm glad that I will have the pleasure of watching Ott piss people off for years to come.
As am I, very excited about this, and for the sign and trade? Don't be ridiculous

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Caseman

K Ott. You got your money. How about you produce a tad more for the playoff stretch?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I will be verrrry interested to see the salary structure of this deal. I fully expect it to be backloaded, which would make sense for him and would give the team more flexibility going into next year (given they're not sure they'd have a new, hopefully expanded budget in the summer before the sale).

And now, off to Dallas to celebrate by watching the #(*&%@ Kings for the 100th time as a Stars fan.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I will be verrrry interested to see the salary structure of this deal. I fully expect it to be backloaded, which would make sense for him and would give the team more flexibility going into next year (given they're not sure they'd have a new, hopefully expanded budget in the summer before the sale).

And now, off to Dallas to celebrate by watching the #(*&%@ Kings for the 100th time as a Stars fan.
But you get to see DREW DOUGHTY!

And that loser Jack Johnson.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:53 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Too much, I don't like it. Oh well what's done is done
Posted via Mobile Device

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Oh well.

03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
NHL.com posted it as well so that pretty much confirms it.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
vofty

more than I wanted to pay for him, but very glad it isn't 5-6 years. The amount is in the gray area for me, I would have been very happy with 2.5 and would have been pissed with anything over 3. So I'm not terribly upset but it could have been better.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Meh, we're paying Modano like $3.5 million to only show up in handful of games each season, so just under $3 million for someone who works his ass off and is great at his role isn't that bad. I would've prefered something like 4 years @ 2.75 million MAX, but I trust Joe (as stupid as that may seem).

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
dallas stars 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMcBride View Post
I totally agree with you. This is a another step in the right direction for a run at the Stanley Cup! We all know what Ott brings to the table. Look at last year, when Morrow was hurt, and Ott stepped in to help with the scoring. There is a reason why all the other teams want him. I think the contract is ok, and the interest will still be there if he does not live up expectations. Great job by Joe.

dallas stars 1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
starsfan4ever

I think it's sad. I've become a huge fan of Jack Johnson while watching him in the Olympics. The U.S.A run was magical, and it was fun watching them play. I've always liked Dustin Brown, and Drew Doughty is an elite skater and puck mover.

I think I've become more of a hockey fan after this olympics. If those players do well against us, it just makes me think, "oh, our guys should have done better."

I have a new found appreciation for the talent that the Kings have. Yeah, I know, it sounds like I'm blowing them or something, but I think it's fun to watch these guys play. Thank God we have players like Benn, Eriksson, and Neal.

I wish we could get some guys to stack our blue line, I miss seeing what elite offensive defenseman can do (zubov)

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Killer Keller

I liked this signing when I first saw it posted here, now that I see Stajan signed for 3.5 per year for four years, I really like this signing. Stajan's best point total is 55 and 18 for goals but Ott brings waaaaaay more to the table other than scoring. Good job Joe, I thought Otter had played his last game as a Star after reading all the interviews over the Olympic break.

Killer Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Well the contract is not the total disaster it could've been, but he's overpaid now and I'm not a big fan of overpaying people, especially when you're broke.

Now I guess we see if he still plays with the same reckless abandon and whether he can stay healthy.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Well the contract is not the total disaster it could've been, but he's overpaid now and I'm not a big fan of overpaying people, especially when you're broke.

Now I guess we see if he still plays with the same reckless abandon and whether he can stay healthy.
We're broke now, not later. Ott's contract is for LATER. OKAY?

Go back to churning the FA pool.

And I think JJ needs a good beating.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

On a team chock full of minus' Ott is dead last at -13. Now we're going to pay him almost 3 million dollars in a "shut down" third line role? He's being overpaid by at least 500k and on a team with a budget that's bad management. Joe shoulders all of the blame on this one.

Now that you've signed your best UFA piece how exactly are they going to improve the defense? Being a fan of this team drives me insane some days.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC View Post
We're broke now, not later. Ott's contract is for LATER. OKAY?
We don't know how long the team will be hampered financially. Or how long the sale process will drag on. I strongly doubt it's resolved before checks in the the new amount start getting made out to Ott.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
We don't know how long the team will be hampered financially. Or how long the sale process will drag on. I strongly doubt it's resolved before checks in the the new amount start getting made out to Ott.
The Rangers' sale didn't take too long. If Hicks wants to sell, he will sell it and it will be done. Even if it does drag into the early weeks of next season, it will be done and money won't be a point of contention.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
There's no guarantee a new owner will spend money.

Should've traded Ott, $2.95 million for a 3rd line forward on a non Stanley Cup Contender is a waste.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

It took over a year to sell the Rangers and it still isn't finalized. Who knows what will happen to the economy or if the new owner will be willing to spend to the cap. Again though, let's say the timeline is similar, how are you going to improve the defense when almost 36 million is already committed to next season? 10 million or so doesn't leave much wiggle room and given that contract how much can Neal expect to get in his new deal?

Bad asset management. There's really no other way to describe it.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
It took over a year to sell the Rangers and it still isn't finalized. Who knows what will happen to the economy or if the new owner will be willing to spend to the cap. Again though, let's say the timeline is similar, how are you going to improve the defense when almost 36 million is already committed to next season? 10 million or so doesn't leave much wiggle room and given that contract how much can Neal expect to get in his new deal?

Bad asset management. There's really no other way to describe it.
It would be insulting if Joe goes to Neals camp with anything less than what Ott got as a starting point. I know Ott had more leverage, but Neal is clearly the better player. We'll be lucky now if we could get him to sign a 2 year 7 million dollar contract. More than likely I think we have to give up an Eriksson sized deal.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote