HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Freeman replaced by Tom Cigarran as Preds chairman / Preds meet attendance goal

Old
03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
When reading the Tennessean, it's good to remember that they are Titans fans...and that's about it.
Ah, I'm a Predator fan from Vancouver so I can be a bit gullible without the lay of the land, thanks for the heads up.

Fingers crossed you guys make it into the playoffs, it's looking good (not to jinx you), but I'll buy you all a drink if I ever make it down to Nashville in thanks if you keep Calgary out (Canucks is my other team, and we have a hate-on for Flames:-).

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Preds hit attendance numbers, still no love from the media

I wasn't really sure if this deserved its own thread as most people on here probably already know about the Tennessean story. All I can do anymore is laugh at how editors feel stories should be written or smashed together. I know this is off-topic, but it seems this thread has basically delivered all of the news it's going to and it's more business oriented. SLake or BFC, feel free to move it or turn it into a separate thread if you feel it needs to be.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...prices-rising/

Another piece that would have pissed me off three years ago made me laugh a bit earlier when I read it. I thought I'd share it on here. I only read a few of the comments, but they weren't nearly as bad as they would have been in 2007. One gem from a Flyers fan (go figure) predicts that if Nashville and Atlanta played for the Cup it would be an insult to the Cup.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...elocation.html

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I wasn't really sure if this deserved its own thread as most people on here probably already know about the Tennessean story. All I can do anymore is laugh at how editors feel stories should be written or smashed together. I know this is off-topic, but it seems this thread has basically delivered all of the news it's going to and it's more business oriented. SLake or BFC, feel free to move it or turn it into a separate thread if you feel it needs to be.

Another piece that would have pissed me off three years ago made me laugh a bit earlier when I read it. I thought I'd share it on here. I only read a few of the comments, but they weren't nearly as bad as they would have been in 2007. One gem from a Flyers fan (go figure) predicts that if Nashville and Atlanta played for the Cup it would be an insult to the Cup.

It's already on the business journal and we will keep it here.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

I'm fine with leaving it here, just updated the title...

Honestly though, people all you need to know is that Campbell threw together a real hack job where he says deal in place to move Phoenix to Winnipeg and that there are serious discussions about Nashville to Kansas City and Atlanta to Seattle/Portland...

The article ignores some recent developments in the Phoenix situation and has absolutely no basis to the Nashville rumor that he's trying to start...

In the same article, he wonders aloud about the unfair treatment Balsillie received and notes that his name isn't being floated around much anymore due to the mistreatment he recevied.

I'm sorry to say that despite having a subscription for over 15 years to THN, I don't really have much desire to read it any longer and rumor mongering with a clear agenda isn't likely to expand their readership again IMO...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm sorry to say that despite having a subscription for over 15 years to THN, I don't really have much desire to read it any longer and rumor mongering with a clear agenda isn't likely to expand their readership again IMO...
I've been in Canada for two weeks and I have had no temptation for buying a copy. As long as this team is alive we might as well have a rabbit on the front and nickname the team, "the team of a thousand enemies."

Old
03-23-2010, 06:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I miss the times when the only crackpot "articles" were in the blogosphere and publications at least pretended to have "journalistic integrity"

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I've been in Canada for two weeks and I have had no temptation for buying a copy. As long as this team is alive we might as well have a rabbit on the front and nickname the team, "the team of a thousand enemies."
I'll be honest, I've said it a million times with some mixed reaction, but I think part of the passion involved with being a Predators fan comes from knowing how much harder we have worked for something when we achieve success and how jealous others are of that success due to the fact that "we" achieved it here in Nashville.

I think it explains a lot of the Jekyll and Hyde personality of the fan base when we win or lose a game...

Old
03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Seth Lake

I'm sure 101st can put this into some historical context, but if the paid attendance figure is over 14k per night and ESPN has our average announced attendance at 14,833 per night...the team is handing out fewer than 800 comped tickets per night.

When you consider last season's calls that we met goals by "papering the house", that figure right there should hold some major merit in terms of the direction of the franchise...

Old
03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm sure 101st can put this into some historical context, but if the paid attendance figure is over 14k per night and ESPN has our average announced attendance at 14,833 per night...the team is handing out fewer than 800 comped tickets per night.

When you consider last season's calls that we met goals by "papering the house", that figure right there should hold some major merit in terms of the direction of the franchise...
In 05-06 the team had over 1,800 comps per game. That was down to the 1,450 range in 07-08 and we're in the 750-800 range so far this season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:

Quote:
The coming months will determine whether or not any of this is actually transpiring, but here is some of what is being talked about in hockey circles. Note to reader: this is not to say that all, or any, of this will happen, but it is certainly more than just idle chatter:
Gotta love that he disclaimers it before stirring the pot

Quote:
The Nashville Predators have reached an agreement with the Metro Sports Authority to keep the team in Nashville for at least another two seasons, but the deal has yet to be signed and there are rumblings Kansas City is making a serious push for the Predators to relocate there.
So the deal isn't signed yet and A city that is closing several schools is making a push to get the Predators?? How bout doing some research. Even if the deal is not signed the Predators are OWNED By Nashvillians not Kansas Citians.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
jlsg

I ended my subscription to THN a couple of years ago. It always seemed to be old news with the occasional feature article that interested me.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I had the THN app for my Blackberry until I realized it was nothing but garbage articles about Sidney Crosby. The version I had didn't even have a page for viewing scores to games. It got deleted rather quickly.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Seth Lake

An excellent response to the trash from Ken Campbell and THN earlier this week from "The View From 111" blog...

http://theviewfrom111.blogspot.com/2...nsibility.html

Quote:
Psssst.

Want to hear a rumor?

The Hockey News could be acquired by the National Enquirer.

In the realm of possibility? Sure.

Probable. Not very.

Old
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Let's bend this back to the topic, when do you guys think the Boots shares will FINALLY be boughtout? I know the trustee is dragging his feet but some time the shares have to be bought.

Old
03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Let's bend this back to the topic, when do you guys think the Boots shares will FINALLY be boughtout? I know the trustee is dragging his feet but some time the shares have to be bought.
That's what seems odd to me, everything I've read indicates that Brett Wilson is still interested in buying the shares, so is it a matter of the trustee not wanting to sell off the shares till everything else is settled, or is he waiting for a better offer?

Does the trustee ever say anything publicly? I'm just curious because I haven't heard anything from the trustee on this.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:

Seriously. I've been asking that question for months. Quick story: I deal with a supplier whose parent company filed for bankruptcy in early December. By the end of January they were out of court, $150 million written off by creditors and lenders, less than sixty (60) days from start to finish for a company that does something like $500 million annually. Sixty freakin' days, I never noticed anything other than a three week delay while orders were on hold at the plant.

I'm sure it's a different situation than the Preds, but still, what exactly is the holdup in this case? How can all of these huge, complicated bankruptcies breeze through the system and this thing has no movement at all? Nobody ever says anything other than "the current ownership is interested in the outstanding share" or " the Trustee is reviewing matters".

I get the feeling that the current ownership group does NOT have the funds to obtain the outstanding portion of the team and that they are satisfied in leaving it as is as long as it doesn't interfere or conflict with the lease status or other terms of debt that they may have. Otherwise, given what I've seen from both large public bankruptcies and small ones that nobody ever hears about, things move through the system pretty fast, especially if the parties involved ask for expediency.

I'd be interested in what people think about the bold part of my post. Agree, disagree, prove me wrong/right, whatever, but I can't logically come up with too many scenarios different than the current ownership not pressing for the resolution of this case.

And for the record, I'm not being negative on the owners or anything like that, this is just my theory on why nothing is happening---nobody is pushing for a conclusion.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
while you may be correct in saying that nobody is pushing for a reolution, I do remember Freeman saying they had in fact submitted a bid for Boots shares and nobody has said that bid has been withdrawn.

I suspect the difference between the case you mention and Boots is either that the other case is a re-organization, with all parties in agreement in how to restructure the debt and such, or else there were limited creditors and a clear delineation of who was "first inline" for the assets being distributed.

In boots case, there are multiple competing claimants, presumably all of whom have to sign off on any deal, and the preds shares are one of the few assets that he has that is actually worth something. im sur ethta complicates matters. i was honestly expecting 2 years from the time the proceedings began...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
jlsg

Most bankruptcy proceedings don't have a convicted felon in the mix. In the examples mentioned, the company stayed in business and was/is still liable for a portion of the money owed. Boots is not in business and has no money. Completely different situation.
As far as the money needed, don't think for a minute that some of the owners don't have access to the kind of money to buy Boots out. They do, and then some. It's a matter of those owners wanting a bigger stake in the team. It's their money, they can invest in the way they want to.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote