HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline, UFAs, RFAs and more - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I guess I am in the minority because no way would I give up Parent for a rental.
Often injured 23 yr old for rentals who could help us win the cup? (who we could resign with)

Im all aboard.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I like Parent a lot, but he is a 23 year old who has already had back surgery and has little offensive upside, meaning he will top out as an oft-injured #4.

Kinda silly to get to attached if we can get Hamhuis (who is far better) AND a goalie who is pretty good.
This! I would miss Powe (mostly because it is such a cool name) but value wise, I like it.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I love Parent, but to upgrade parent to Hamhuis you can't say no.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
If we could get Hamhuis, sign him for pretty cheap, and then deal Coburn for picks after the season, might be a nice move even if we end up giving up Parent.

Still a tad worried though, the extra we'd throw at Hamhuis wouldn't be going towards a goalie.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:18 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
If we could get Hamhuis, sign him for pretty cheap, and then deal Coburn for picks after the season, might be a nice move even if we end up giving up Parent.

Still a tad worried though, the extra we'd throw at Hamhuis wouldn't be going towards a goalie.
trade Carle not Coburn.

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Hamhuis
Bartulis-Kraijcek

Carle get us a 3rd line C or something.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:

If the Flyers trade for Hamhuis and sign him in the offseason, that guarantees that Carle is gone. With Pronger and Timonen's contracts, no way they have 2 more dmen making over 3 million. Hopefully they just don't overpay Coburn.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

My friend from CSN saying that NSH wants Parent AND Coburn for Hamhuis only....

Old
03-02-2010, 09:24 AM
IrishSniper87

We CAN fit Ellis and Hamhuis inder the cap, but only under the following circumstances.

Cote is waived. The 13 forward spot remains EMPTY (scary thought).
Leino is the 12th forward and replaces Powe.
Emery is LTIR for the season, period. Very important for the cap.
We carry Bartulis as our 21st player, but use him exclusively as our first roster move to the AHL if we need a forward (likely).

All of this leaves us with 330k space, but the difference between Bartulis and some AHL'ers can be roughly 250K at times.

Basically, getting Hamhuis and Ellis ruins all chances of us carrying 22 players, barring moving a contract like Coburn, Lappy or bigger.

Old
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
My friend from CSN saying that NSH wants Parent AND Coburn for Hamhuis only....
that was reported only but I heard it was or not and. They have interest in Coburn. I wouldn't do that though thats way too much for a possible rental

Old
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Yeah, but Timo and Pronger are 34 and 35 respectively. Coburn's puckmoving leaves something to be desired. Carle is only 25, which means he hasn't peaked yet and is 10 YEARS younger then both of our best puckmovers. Pair Carle with a strong defensive player and things work very well on our back end.

It doesn't matter to me too much, Hamhuis is also a good player.
I like this post. Carle has better long term value than Coburn, while Coburn may be worth more on the trade market. Id rather see Hamuis here and Coburn out IMO.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
We CAN fit Ellis and Hamhuis inder the cap, but only under the following circumstances.

Cote is waived. The 13 forward spot remains EMPTY (scary thought).
Leino is the 12th forward and replaces Powe.
Emery is LTIR for the season, period. Very important for the cap.
We carry Bartulis as our 21st player, but use him exclusively as our first roster move to the AHL if we need a forward (likely).

All of this leaves us with 330k space, but the difference between Bartulis and some AHL'ers can be roughly 250K at times.

Basically, getting Hamhuis and Ellis ruins all chances of us carrying 22 players, barring moving a contract like Coburn, Lappy or bigger.
7th D man is more important than a 13th forward luckily

Quote:
I like this post. Carle has better long term value than Coburn, while Coburn may be worth more on the trade market. Id rather see Hamuis here and Coburn out IMO.
This will NOT work cap wise for next year. Hamhuis will want 3+ mil, while Coburn is having a bad year and we could keep him for another year or 2 on the cheap. we cant have Carle and Hamhuis making 3+ along with pronger at 5 and Kimmo at 6.3

Old
03-02-2010, 09:27 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
trade Carle not Coburn.

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Hamhuis
Bartulis-Kraijcek

Carle get us a 3rd line C or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
If the Flyers trade for Hamhuis and sign him in the offseason, that guarantees that Carle is gone. With Pronger and Timonen's contracts, no way they have 2 more dmen making over 3 million. Hopefully they just don't overpay Coburn.
As I said, if you jettison Carle and then one of Pronger/Kimmo gets hurt (very possible, both in mid 30s), we start to look really thin offensively at D.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
As I said, if you jettison Carle and then one of Pronger/Kimmo gets hurt (very possible, both in mid 30s), we start to look really thin offensively at D.
Hamhuis has hit 35 points. Coburn has hit 35 points. Kraijcek can move the puck. Richards can play the Point on the PP. Carle's best season without Thornton: 26 points(so far in 66 games this year)

Carle has better offensive skills yes but I would much rather Hamhuis and a combo of offense and defense. Carle is too slow to ever be a top flight offensive D man

Old
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
As I said, if you jettison Carle and then one of Pronger/Kimmo gets hurt (very possible, both in late 30s), we start to look really thin offensively at D.
This is for the offseason. Assuming Carle would remain on the team, I would also assume he would play with Pronger still. If Pronger were to get hurt, what would it matter? He would most likely go back to looking like a bottom pairing dman that he was last year.

Also, Coburn has shown he can play offensively. In fact I would argue he is the most willing of our dmen to jump into the offensive play. And Bartulis has even shown flashes of doing this as well. And not to mention Bourdon in the wings, who can also chip in offensively. I think we'll be fine.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:34 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
I don't see why Nashville would have any interest in Powe tbh, we all like him, but he's a dime-a-dozen type player.
Really takes some balls to say that here. Powe is the next best right after Wayne according to 99% of HF Flyers fans.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Really takes some balls to say that here. Powe is the next best right after Wayne according to 99% of HF Flyers fans.
he is a dime a dozen player, but That doesnt mean we can't love him.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Hamhuis has hit 35 points. Coburn has hit 35 points. Kraijcek can move the puck. Richards can play the Point on the PP. Carle's best season without Thornton: 26 points(so far in 66 games this year)

Carle has better offensive skills yes but I would much rather Hamhuis and a combo of offense and defense. Carle is too slow to ever be a top flight offensive D man
Hamhuis hit 38 points 5 years during the highest-scoring NHL season in recent memory and hasn't been above 27 since, so I'm not banking on him offensively.

And I think most people can agree that there was something pretty flukish about Coburn's 36 point year. At this point, I really like the guy, but he's 25 years-old, playing his 4th NHL season, and still makes some truly mindnumbing mistakes, not sure if that's the guy I want to count on to slot in the top pairing when we need him to.

Say what you want about Carle and I agree that he has weaknesses, but that's a guy who can play 23-24 minutes per night with a defensively strong partner and not embarrass himself.

I mean, Coburn singlehandedly tanked that Kimmo-Coburn pairing at the beginning of the year and even though Kimmo was struggling a bit, he's one of the steadiest defenders in the league.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
HoverCarle*

Okay but there are still the cap concerns. Hamhuis and Coburn will be cheaper than Carle and Hamhuis.

And maybe playing Coburn with Pronger will awaken his size. Hamuis hit 38 points when given a top roll before Suter and Weber emerged. Since they emerged he has been used in a defensive role and PK and 2nd PP

Old
03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
Hamhuis hit 38 points 5 years during the highest-scoring NHL season in recent memory and hasn't been above 27 since, so I'm not banking on him offensively.

And I think most people can agree that there was something pretty flukish about Coburn's 36 point year. At this point, I really like the guy, but he's 25 years-old, playing his 4th NHL season, and still makes some truly mindnumbing mistakes, not sure if that's the guy I want to count on to slot in the top pairing when we need him to.

Say what you want about Carle and I agree that he has weaknesses, but that's a guy who can play 23-24 minutes per night with a defensively strong partner and not embarrass himself.

I mean, Coburn singlehandedly tanked that Kimmo-Coburn pairing at the beginning of the year and even though Kimmo was struggling a bit, he's one of the steadiest defenders in the league.
It's a fair point, but the bottom line is we wouldn't be able fit both Carle and Hamhuis next year.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
lancer247

Which player(s) would you like to see the Flyers get?

With @ $2.25MM to deal with which player(s) would you rather see the Flyers get?

1. Hamhuis - stay at home dman to solidify top 4.

2. Torres - Forward that will do whatever is needed from top line to third line.

3. Jurcina & Afinogenov - in seperate deals obviously you get a big and sometimes physical dman and a slick winger for any of top 3 lines.

4. Roloson - Solid netminder with cup experience.

Last edited by lancer247: 03-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Okay but there are still the cap concerns. Hamhuis and Coburn will be cheaper than Carle and Hamhuis.

And maybe playing Coburn with Pronger will awaken his size. Hamuis hit 38 points when given a top roll before Suter and Weber emerged. Since they emerged he has been used in a defensive role and PK and 2nd PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
It's a fair point, but the bottom line is we wouldn't be able fit both Carle and Hamhuis next year.
I wouldn't count on Hamhuis to magically rediscover that offense, I mean, he is what he is, a really solid 2nd pairing guy.

As for the cap stuff, I don't feel like looking too closely, but if we can jettison a forward in the offseason, we might be able to make it work.

I'm just not a big fan of the whole rental idea. If the idea is to get Hamhuis with a longterm plan to integrate him into the team and to not sacrifice our No.3 guy to do it, then I'm behind it. I think that getting rid of Hartnell or (gulp) Gagne in the offseason to have a top-4 of Pronger, Kimmo, Carle, Hamhuis is definitely worth it. We're already a good defensive team and that would take us to another level.

But if the idea is to give up our best D prospect for a guy who will be here for 1 playoffs (with Leighton as our G), then I have a problem with it.

I know Parent has the injury problems, but at this point it's still worth the risk to me because if he pans out, that's a shutdown guy who can play 2nd pairing that's never going to make more than 2.5 or so.

I also think there's a pretty large gap between Parent and the other D we have in the system.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...421&feedID=704

Timmy P says:

Quote:
“Three teams have made offers on Hamhuis, and they have not been accepted,” said a source close to the situation. “Dan wants to stay in Nashville. At this point, it looks like the Predators are going to keep him.”

The sources said that Poile told three clubs – believed to be the Flyers, Boston and either New Jersey or Toronto – that unless someone “knocks his socks off,” he would not move Hamhuis.
Based on the way this deal has slowly progressed from a mild interest, into Parent, into Parent + Powe, and into Parent + Coburn...I'm glad nothing happened. Screw that.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:

Im still very shaky on Coburn. There is just something about Coburn that rubs me the wrong way. Id be willing to see him play with Pronger first before moving him tho. There may be a Hatcher effect in that move.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Wonder if the Hamhuis stuff has been a smokescreen for Ellis, given the choice of 1 of them, I'd take Ellis.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Chris Chelios signs with the Thrashers.

Closed Thread