HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Al Michaels: Hockey played at its best is THE best.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

vCash: 500
Yes, the demographics in Canada's major cities are undergoing massive changes due to immigration. Soccer and basketball are both overtaking hockey as a youth sport in Canada.

I doubt it will severely impact their national hockey program, but it will make it easier for the US to reach consistent hockey parity.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:40 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyWasAWarrior View Post
Why do people say USA hockey is on the rise, if anything i see a decrease in talent compared to our previous olympic squads. Yea we have a good team, a young team but overrall our team doesn't compare to:

Roenick
Tkachuk
Hull
Modano
Leetch
Leclair
Guerin
Lafontaine
Chelios
etc.
we might not compare to them in trashing hotel rooms... but this was a far younger team then 06 and 02. you have to give these kids some time before they get to the levels of some of the players mentioned above. Yes we were very comparable on paper with Canada from pretty much 1994-2002, but then we had noone to fall back on.

we now have layers of good young players coming from everywhere...something we did not have earlier. Once more kids start coming out of Cali, Texas, Arizona, Georgia, Florida, etc (all of these areas are where a lot of our top athletes from all sports come from) the US program will finally see what it is truly capable of. We have only just seen the tip of the iceberg, and within the next 10 years, I am positive the US will develope "our" Gretzky...probably from Cali or Texas to be honest.

Plenty of good times ahead for the US.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Freezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Well, sometime after your avatar becomes a reality and Prime Minster Obama orders ice rinks built on every block to catch the rest of the country up.
Haha, it's a lot more of a reality than I would ever hope to imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Union

Freezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezy View Post

I'd be down for merging customs and eliminating the use of visas for living, working and studying in each other's countries.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezy View Post

Well if it wasn't for those damn meddling British kids we would've annexed you years ago and we could all be friends!

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Personally, I don't think it's a case of waiting for the Americans to "catch up" to Canada. They are pretty well there now. The U.S. was a Luongo save on Pavelski in OT from winning gold. It literally came down to one bounce.

We like to call it "our game" simply because of the passion we have, as a nation, when our country plays hockey, whether it is the Juniors, World Championship, World Cup, Olympics, whenever that red maple leaf is on the front of a jersey. The Russians, Czechs and Sweden have taken turns at challenging and beating us on the world stage in the past few decades. In the last 20 years, the Americans have become our biggest rival.

Since the 1991 Canada Cup, the U.S. and Canada have met in four of the most prestgious finals in pro hockey - the '91 Canada Cup, '96 World Cup, '02 Olympics and 2010 Olympics. The U.S. have implemented the Canadian style, the one that we as Canadians pride ourselves on - tough, energetic hockey - and have mastered it in their own way. Parise, Kane and Miller are the future of U.S. hockey, and they're just going to keep getting better as the World Junior champions et al continue to move up to the NHL.

Never mind it being a matter of time until the Americans are on equal footing. They're pretty well there now.

The only bummer now is having to go back to watch the garbage clutch-and-grab crap half the teams play these days in the NHL.

That game yesterday was how hockey was meant to be played, on both sides. Epic battle, no one giving an inch. It came down to basically a coin flip, and Canada won the toss. It was that close.

Holy Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Personally, I don't think it's a case of waiting for the Americans to "catch up" to Canada. They are pretty well there now. The U.S. was a Luongo save on Pavelski in OT from winning gold. It literally came down to one bounce.

We like to call it "our game" simply because of the passion we have, as a nation, when our country plays hockey, whether it is the Juniors, World Championship, World Cup, Olympics, whenever that red maple leaf is on the front of a jersey. The Russians, Czechs and Sweden have taken turns at challenging and beating us on the world stage in the past few decades. In the last 20 years, the Americans have become our biggest rival.

Since the 1991 Canada Cup, the U.S. and Canada have met in four of the most prestgious finals in pro hockey - the '91 Canada Cup, '96 World Cup, '02 Olympics and 2010 Olympics. The U.S. have implemented the Canadian style, the one that we as Canadians pride ourselves on - tough, energetic hockey - and have mastered it in their own way. Parise, Kane and Miller are the future of U.S. hockey, and they're just going to keep getting better as the World Junior champions et al continue to move up to the NHL.

Never mind it being a matter of time until the Americans are on equal footing. They're pretty well there now.

The only bummer now is having to go back to watch the garbage clutch-and-grab crap half the teams play these days in the NHL.

That game yesterday was how hockey was meant to be played, on both sides. Epic battle, no one giving an inch. It came down to basically a coin flip, and Canada won the toss. It was that close.
Hi,

Actually, the talent pools for the respective countries are still not even close. The U.S. played a fantastic game, I love the grit and determination of their team, but we could easily put together a similarly "spunky" B team that might equally well give Canada's "A-team" a run for its money if they gelled right, and could put up a really good fight against the best the U.S. has to offer. That's a simple fact. Starting line would be Lecavalier, Stamkos, and St. Louis. Add Gagne, Richards, Neal, Spezza, Fisher, etc., etc., etc. Green, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Phillips, etc. running the back end.

I do agree that the Americans may be the biggest threat to Canadian dominance over the next 15 years or so, though.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agents View Post
Agreed.

Never caught the first Brokaw piece from the Opening Ceremonies but saw this one. Thought it was wonderful.

Wow. Can't believe I missed that when it first aired. Thanks for posting. That was simply awesome.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RewBicks View Post
Hi,

Actually, the talent pools for the respective countries are still not even close. The U.S. played a fantastic game, I love the grit and determination of their team, but we could easily put together a similarly "spunky" B team that might equally well give Canada's "A-team" a run for its money if they gelled right, and could put up a really good fight against the best the U.S. has to offer. That's a simple fact. Starting line would be Lecavalier, Stamkos, and St. Louis.

I do agree that the Americans may be the biggest threat to Canadian dominance over the next 15 years or so, though.
Don't get me wrong, the Canadians rolled four lines that would start on any team, which is what you would expect. But Kane, Parise, Miller, etc...don't look out of place matched up against Canada's best. I think it comes down to depth but there is a reason we needed OT yesterday, just as we needed OT TWICE in back-to-back games to beat the Soviets in '87. It was that close.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
Canada might as well be frozen in carbonite. It doesn't have any nonhockeyplaying population. Practically all of the US is nonhockeyplaying ...
Two things going in Canadas favor for improving the number and talent of high end players:

1. Demographics in the country are changing dramatically. A much larger percentage of the population is now living in the big urban areas. Competition is better where there is a higher population density (best minor hockey in the country is in and around TO, as a result very large number of players come from there), thereby yielding more good players.

2. Canada's minor hockey program is continuously evolving in its attempt to develop better and more skilled players. The difference in skills between the current crop of young players and those that were produced 10 or 15 years ago is dramatic. I believe this trend will continue, although how much more improvement will come from this is of course hard to estimate.

I have no data to back up either argument. But, that is what I perceive has been going on and both should continue.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:09 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Yep, the WHL is seeing the first wave of Stars, Sharks, Ducks and Gretzky-era Kings influenced kids now. In 10 years, the OHL might see players from other transplant heavy areas with new NHL teams like Atlanta, Nashville and Carolina.

Look out, Canada.
i'm shaking in my boots

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
howaryuh

I was amazed today at the number of my USA colleagues that sent a quick e-mail in congratulations on the game. Many of these people do not watch hockey on a regular basis, usually seldom if at all.
Then it struck me, the biggest benefit to hockey is High Definition. These same people 10 years ago would have the been the ones saying 'I can't see the puck', the NHL even tried to add a blue trail to the pucks (remember that?). With high calibre hockey on HD, it's so good, I would keep my service and tv only to watch hockey (and it's great for all sports).
Hockey played at its best is the best in HD (well, live is better but who could afford those tickets!).

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post

I think this is the first time that one could say USA had the advantage in goal. That to me evened the playing field considerably.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaryuh View Post
I was amazed today at the number of my USA colleagues that sent a quick e-mail in congratulations on the game. Many of these people do not watch hockey on a regular basis, usually seldom if at all.
Then it struck me, the biggest benefit to hockey is High Definition. These same people 10 years ago would have the been the ones saying 'I can't see the puck', the NHL even tried to add a blue trail to the pucks (remember that?). With high calibre hockey on HD, it's so good, I would keep my service and tv only to watch hockey (and it's great for all sports).
Hockey played at its best is the best in HD (well, live is better but who could afford those tickets!).
That was fox trying to sensationalize a sport that americans didn't understand...

Old
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
hillbillypriest

I'd like to add a couple of thoughts to this thread.

First, I want to echo the comments of a couple of people commending NBC for their coverage of the games. I mostly saw Costas, but he was always exceptionally gracious whenever I turned to NBC in the later evenings. Many of my friends have made similar remarks about NBC's coverage overall.

I also want to mention that I heard Al Michaels' interview by Gary Bettman on his XM204 program this week, and part of Michaels' discussion was that he's taken at least 30 people to their first hockey game (normally Kings), and he's commonly had people comment that they were shocked at how much they loved hockey, and wondered how they could have gone so much of their lives without having gotten an appreciation.

This was a most interesting comment to me, because it's exactly how I feel - to see hockey is to love it!! And yet, the Miracle on Ice happened 30 years ago and hockey is still apparently a marginal blip in the US sports conciousness. As a Canadian, this is the biggest question mark I have with the NHL's ongoing efforts to sell hockey in the US and resist moves to Canada. Surely the light would have gone on by now, because the exposure to the masses has happened already.

Anyway, I hope that the Gold medal game is a catalyst of renewed interest in the US and I hope that many americans saw the game just as Al Michaels described it - the best sport there is!

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Their media has been slagging the games from the beginning.

I think they're trying to set the bar low for their London games.

It would help if they were a relevant international winter sporting nation.
The British media...TV, newspapers, etc... slags-off of anything American (or in this case, North American) wherever they can find a story to do so, not just these games. It's a guaranteed seller, because it allows them to feel superior about themselves while acting superior to the rest of the world. They're still pretending and wishing they were relevant.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngloriusBuzzards View Post
I compare Hockey to Jazz music...

It's without a doubt more refined, the artists are more passionate. It has a wonderful history rooted in originality that will never have a "Place" in the ordinary world of pre-packaged pop music. It's just better and better played....

Hockey is the same - it just speaks to a different sort of person. It isn't SOLD to you like football. It's something you either get or don't. I like the fact that it isn't "up there" with some other sports.... It's in a class all by itself
Pretnetious ***holes?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
The British media...TV, newspapers, etc... slags-off of anything American (or in this case, North American) wherever they can find a story to do so, not just these games. It's a guaranteed seller, because it allows them to feel superior about themselves while acting superior to the rest of the world. They're still pretending and wishing they were relevant.
The anti-Americanism card is always lame... playing in reference to someone insulting Canada is especially lame. And topping it off with blatant anglophobia? Well that's just par for the lameness course.

Old
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
oilerfanatic

nice to see americans just discovered the game of hackey..

Old
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
That was fox trying to sensationalize a sport that americans didn't understand...
You mean didn't care about

Quote:
nice to see americans just discovered the game of hackey..
Thanks?

Old
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I'd like to add a couple of thoughts to this thread.

First, I want to echo the comments of a couple of people commending NBC for their coverage of the games. I mostly saw Costas, but he was always exceptionally gracious whenever I turned to NBC in the later evenings. Many of my friends have made similar remarks about NBC's coverage overall.

I also want to mention that I heard Al Michaels' interview by Gary Bettman on his XM204 program this week, and part of Michaels' discussion was that he's taken at least 30 people to their first hockey game (normally Kings), and he's commonly had people comment that they were shocked at how much they loved hockey, and wondered how they could have gone so much of their lives without having gotten an appreciation.

This was a most interesting comment to me, because it's exactly how I feel - to see hockey is to love it!! And yet, the Miracle on Ice happened 30 years ago and hockey is still apparently a marginal blip in the US sports conciousness. As a Canadian, this is the biggest question mark I have with the NHL's ongoing efforts to sell hockey in the US and resist moves to Canada. Surely the light would have gone on by now, because the exposure to the masses has happened already.

Anyway, I hope that the Gold medal game is a catalyst of renewed interest in the US and I hope that many americans saw the game just as Al Michaels described it - the best sport there is!
Here's where you hope that a huge American market team like Chicago (yes please!) or Philly makes it to the SCF to capitalize on the current amicability towards hockey. That happens and tons of new fans show up over night.

Old
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels for Everyone View Post
why should canada be immune?

the british press piss and moan about everything...

we could win 100 golds in 2012 and they'd still moan about the ones we didn't win
You're right. I was pissed off at the British press lately but come to think of it, the British press are quite negative most of the time.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:33 AM
SidTheKid8787

There should be an addendum to Micheals' statement. Best on best ON NHL SIZED ICE is the BEST!

I heard some guy on the radio mention this and its really true. On international ice, the game is very puck possesion oriented and you get alot of teams playing the trap. On NHL ice you don't have that extra time and guys are on you much faster when you have the puck. Theres hits a' plenty when teams want to get physical.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Rod Buskas*

[QUOTE=SC2008;24201230]

UCLA/Gonzaga "Morrison crying game"
[QUOTE]

Not to get off topic but you just reminded me of this game. It really was one of the great games played in any sport. I still get chills thinkin about this game.

Also, when the Washington Huskies led by Brandon Roy played UConn in the tournament (Sweet 16 ?). Tremendous basketball as well.

College basketball is so disturbingly underrated.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
It was Fox doing market research and coming up with a solution to what was at the time the biggest critique of televised hockey.