HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Al Michaels: Hockey played at its best is THE best.

Old
03-02-2010, 02:10 AM
rye&ginger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Yes, the demographics in Canada's major cities are undergoing massive changes due to immigration. Soccer and basketball are both overtaking hockey as a youth sport in Canada.

I doubt it will severely impact their national hockey program, but it will make it easier for the US to reach consistent hockey parity.
In general, the children of immigrants take to hockey. The immigrants dont as easily. My observation anyway, and if you look at Vancouver the Punjabi community has been here longer and the offspring are in general hockey nuts. In the Chinese community which immigrated in large numbers relatively later, there seems to be fewer hockey fans at the moment. I expect their offspring to take to hockey though, as the Chinese Canadians born here I know generally have.

We are seeing children of immigrants play hockey also, so I dont think it will have a major effect. If anything, it will raise the level of hockey in Canada by having more participation.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:13 AM
HackandLube

Most of the immigrants I know that are young (elementary to high school age) quickly became hockey fans after a few years in Canada.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:18 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigThing View Post
2004 ALCS>>>>>>>>anything

'Nuff Said.
I respect you liking baseball, but hockey over baseball anyday. Just me.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:01 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Here's where you hope that a huge American market team like Chicago (yes please!) or Philly makes it to the SCF to capitalize on the current amicability towards hockey. That happens and tons of new fans show up over night.
Although I hope my Senators make the final, if that doesn't happen I'm hoping for a Chicago-Washington match up. Not only do I love the Hawks and Ovy, but I think that series could bring some serious national attention in the states. Hopefully, there's another Washington-Pittsburgh series this year as well, which is likely to get almost as much exposure as any final.

Hockey in the US seems to be fertile at the moment. Every american program I watched today spoke about the game and how great it was. I heard some ESPN journalist with a southern accent say that game was up there with Superbowl 3 and other great games he's seen. Letterman spoke about it in his monologue (although he tries to give the NHL props on occasion) for at least a good 5 minutes. Bettman just has to not screw things up. Get the NHL back on ESPN and off versus and just sit back and let the game be appreciated. Outside factors like an NFL work stoppage and the NBA's current suckage are only going to help things.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:07 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Most of the immigrants I know that are young (elementary to high school age) quickly became hockey fans after a few years in Canada.
yeah for sure as they get to know the sport threw class mates and maybe even learning to skate and play hockey a bit. Anyone over 18 or so though probably is less likely to.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
According to another site I see
http://www.hockeywidgets.com/newblog...geography.html
Back in 2007, Minnesota (25), Michigan (24), New York (21), Massachusetts (20) had the most NHL players. Now I know that today there are definitely quite a few players from NJ that I'm seeing popping up, although this only says 3.
This is a few years old, but a list of where NCAA players come from

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote